Author Topic: Nonfat milk and Prostate Cancer  (Read 2722 times)

Offline bizymum

• Adept
Nonfat milk and Prostate Cancer
« on: January 03, 2008, 02:18:35 PM »
My husband sent me an article that links nonfat milk with prostate cancer.
http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSHAR26781420080102?feedType=RSS&feedName=healthNews&rpc=22&sp=true

We've been drinking only nonfat milk here for the past 2 years.   :-\

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on this article??

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
Re: Nonfat milk and Prostate Cancer
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 03:14:36 AM »
That's a tough one.  I think if you look hard enough you will find something wrong with just about any food we have.  Remember why we have disease in the first place.  The way I look at food, is everything in moderation and if it is something that really bothers me I find a way around it.  Example homogenized milk product: for a while we didn't have a source of raw milk so we really limited our milk to almost none.  You have to do the best you can that works with your family.  I am the type of person that when I read an article I would go and just fix everything right away, if I wasn't hindered by the budget that is.  I believe that we should do the best that we can to take care of the bodies that God gave us, but that it is not a sin if we eat hamburgers.  There are people out there that can't afford to eat a perfect diet, so they do the best they can and that is all God expects of them.  He doesn't expect or want us to go into debt so that we can eat all organic perfect food.  This is just my oppinion and not law. :)  Hope it was a least a tiny bit helpful.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 10:33:07 AM »
bump!

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 12:24:23 PM »
I saw this article as well and almost posted it myself.

It's probably because milk fat isn't as bad as we've been told all these years.  It actually has a lot of GOOD properties.  The article below is interesting.  Studies have linked conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), an ingredient in milk fat, to a reduction in cancer, so it would make sense that those who do not consume milk fat are at greater risk.  (I think I read something about this in "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" as well, but I may be wrong)

http://www.livestocktrail.uiuc.edu/dairynet/paperDisplay.cfm?ContentID=168

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 06:48:29 AM »
I think it would also stand to reason that most people who drink skim milk are concerned about fat intake overall so their overall fat consumption would be low.  Low fat/No fat diets put you at risk for a number of different health ailments, including cancer.
  My favorite herb book!!