Author Topic: Flies and Pests..well they are pests  (Read 31397 times)

Offline Pennie

• Master
Flies and Pests..well they are pests
« on: July 21, 2006, 07:07:54 AM »
I guess b/c of the extreme heat the flies are coming in my CLOSED windows.  Yes they are pretty old.  Driving me nuts so we decided we were going to have to spray the outside with poison BUT I have orange TKO and so I just sprayed that inside and out where I think they are getting in and I have seen 3 flies since.  Two were dead and one disappeared again b/f I got back to kill it.  3 is awesome, I mean I was getting double digit flies I wont' even tell you how many we killed yesterday.  The cool thing is the TKO is not toxic or dangerous to anyone(but the flies I guess).  So I was thinking it would work for other pests.  I didn't see anything on thier website about killing bugs but it seems to be working IF anyone else might have a bug problem.  Might even work as a repellent for misquitos. I would think work a try. I HATE but sprays.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Flies and Pests..well they are pests
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 07:31:33 AM »
What's TKO?  and where do I get it?  Is it expensive?

We live a block from a hog distribution center.  The flies here are terrible.  With the extra heat, we had maggots in the trash after only two days in the kitchen.  Talk about a bad night - yuck!  Anyway, I counted flies one time and we got nearly 100 in one day.  I use horse and stable spray around the windows, doors, porch and in the litter box while the cats are outdoors, because it's supposed to be pet safe, but I'd rather use something that's not poisonous and it only works for a day or two and then the flies are right back.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 07:55:56 AM »
Orange TKO, They have their own website you should read it.  www.orangetko.com and then I know of another site that sells it but ACE Hardware sells it and my healthfood store.  You could actually replace ALL household cleaners with it.  laundry everything.  it is 19.95 for a 16 oz bottle at ace HOWEVER, that is super concentrated so you dilute it quite a bit.  Different strengths for different things.  for example......for stain remover 4 tblsps to a quart of water.  it says it cleans the air too and removes smoke,skunk,cat or human odors.  I think you can even use it for fleas and ticks they have a pet section on thier site.  I was going to totaly switch everything to it but it was 100 dollars for the gallan and while you would only need like 1 tbls or so for a load of laundry we are on a budget and it would take awhile to recupe that you know, so thus far I haven't but I might. My windows are still fly free!!  I dont' know how often I would have to go back and spray but I have a 24 oz bottle I fill with water and put one cap of tko in it and use it for everything I use it for.  Laundry stains and carpet stains. I guess it would work better if I made it stronger too.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 10:57:13 AM »
Would you mind giving us an update every so often?  Letting us (me ;) ) know when and if the flies begin to come back?  I would truly appreciate it.

~hb
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 11:09:08 AM »
I just read up on this stuff and the key factor ingredient is 'd'limonene'.  This is an extract from orange oil.  TKO mixes it with detergents (surfactants) in order to make it water soluable otherwise it would just float when you tried dilute it.  I was thinking that you could get some of the d'limonene and just throw it in some plain cheap suave shampoo and get the same results.  Here's a site that sells just the d'limonene in a gallon bucket for $29.00.  Citrus Depot  I also read, this stuff kills fleas, so I think this is the route to go.  99 cent bottle of suave, some orange oil (d'limonene) and dilute with water, BAM - you've got homemade TKO and at a fraction of the cost.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 11:14:28 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 04:20:55 AM »
Will ripping up my carpet to expose wood floors take care of a flea problem?  We have them terrible.  We've sprayed, treated the cats, salted, vaccuumed religiously and the boogers won't go away.  It probably wouldn't be such a big deal if they didn't consider my feet the tastiest treat in the house.  Anyway, I've been asking hubby to rip up the carpet.  He's reluctant but willing if it's what I really want.  I don't want him to take it up if it won't do any good.  As far as I've read, fleas don't live in hard surfaces.  They stick to furniture, carpet and of course--pets.  The pets should be taken care of -- I broke down and bought the frontline stuff from the vet.  This takes care of them but not me.  Anyone have any experience with this?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 04:46:58 AM »
Will ripping up my carpet to expose wood floors take care of a flea problem?  We have them terrible. 

I would say YES.  Not only will it help but I personally think wood floor are much nicer.  Our dog had a flea problem once and the vet even said carpet will keep them around more.  It is just REALLY hard to get the eggs and such out of the fibers.  If they are eating you up I would wear a bug repelant in the house for a while.  I think ones containing lemongrass work good, at least that is what people from buggy countries have told me.  We got some sort of dust from the vet that you sprinkle around then vacuum up.  Im sure it wasnt very natural though.    Also, do you live near lots of weeds or a woods?  that will accentuate the problem.  I know someone that just mowed their lawn and this helped a lot.  I feel your pain, I know fleas are annoying cause you cant exactly catch them.   Oh, the front line works, revolution works better from my experience, but it is a lot pricier.  So, Ive been getting frontline lately.   Someone also told me if you feed your dog brewers yeast it is supposed to repel fleas.  Dont know how that works?
Anyway, hope that helps.

Offline Christal

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 06:19:22 AM »
Will ripping up my carpet to expose wood floors take care of a flea problem?  We have them terrible. 

IMO it would help.  My dad always fully carpeted the houses he built and if our indoor dogs got fleas (usually from rabbits, lots of rabbits = lots of fleas) the carpet got fleas.  A couple of times we had to treat the carpet.  I have no idea what it was, if it came from the vet or walmart, but it was to kill the eggs.  The eggs are what will keep the problem going for a long time.  It seems like we even had to leave the house during the day while the stuff worked its magic so I would say it was pretty toxic, but no more fleas.  We made sure the dog's fleas were under control then treated the carpet. 

After marrying, we got a dog but over 50% of our home was hard floors and then we moved to a home with 100% hard floors.  We would see fleas on the dog and get an occasional flea from the couch but that was it. 

My poor mom is still dealing with fleas and has recently started giving the dog garlic and brewer's yeast.  My brother brings his dogs for her to babysit and they use frontline but she thinks they are where her fleas are coming from.  The fleas are in her carpet but can't find them on her dog.
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."  John 14v6

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 06:47:37 AM »
would it help to put a flea collar around your ankle? like an anklet?  :D ;)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 08:30:50 AM »
would it help to put a flea collar around your ankle? like an anklet?  :D ;)

Very creative idea, but hubby mentioned my ultra sensitivities to shampoo and other products.  The pesticides would probably make me crazy.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 12:01:42 PM »
HB, did you ever buy the d'liomonene or however you spell it?  B/c you can even dip your kids, I mean animals  ;) in the Orange TKO so maybe if you sprayed that around that would help eliminate them. I really does work on flies and roaches too. Ikcy things!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 06:20:22 PM »
HB, did you ever buy the d'liomonene or however you spell it?  B/c you can even dip your kids, I mean animals  ;) in the Orange TKO so maybe if you sprayed that around that would help eliminate them. I really does work on flies and roaches too. Ikcy things!!

No, my budget was cut a bit and I haven't had the extra cash to get it, so I'm working with what we have.  Also, I'm still not certain I want to use it because most of the d'limonene products contains detergents.  I'm still debating on whether I want to risk with with my sesitivities.  I'm really awful when it comes to trying new things, I have to research and then ruminate for a long time before I dive in and try something.  *snicker*.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 02:57:23 PM »
Just in case you were curious  ::) we ripped up half the carpet today.  My floors are sooooo beautiful.   ;D  They are a bit scuffed, but I'm sooooooooo happy.  No ugly carpet, no more nasty fleas (less alergens, dust mites, dirt and problems with any other infestation) and hubby is going to refinish the floor.  Whoopie.   ;D;D ;D ;D ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 08:44:51 AM »
Well, it's about fly season again around here.  I was out on visitation the other day and this lady had 3 sandwich bags of water in her door way. One on each side and one at the top so......I just HAD to ask what they were for.  She said to keep the flies out...so I just hung some to see how it works. Has anyone else tried this?  I called my mom in Brazil to tell her and she said that she has seen that in several places and that is what they told her.  Restaurants and stuff.  The layd whose house I was at said she might get one or two flies in her house a day but not more.  She didn't have a screen or glass door either.  She said b/c of the way the flies eyes are made it causes a glare and they won't fly past.  Thought I would share....if anyone else has the fly problems we do thought you might want to give it a try too.  ;)

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 11:39:28 AM »
Well, it's about fly season again around here.  I was out on visitation the other day and this lady had 3 sandwich bags of water in her door way. One on each side and one at the top so......I just HAD to ask what they were for.  She said to keep the flies out...so I just hung some to see how it works. Has anyone else tried this?  I called my mom in Brazil to tell her and she said that she has seen that in several places and that is what they told her.  Restaurants and stuff.  The layd whose house I was at said she might get one or two flies in her house a day but not more.  She didn't have a screen or glass door either.  She said b/c of the way the flies eyes are made it causes a glare and they won't fly past.  Thought I would share....if anyone else has the fly problems we do thought you might want to give it a try too.  ;)
I just gotta say I am totally impressed with the bags of water.  I hung them on the sides and top of them garage door. NO flies in my garage or at the door going into the house from the garage.  Usually they are a whole bunch just waiting for the door to open.  AND I just them at the front and back doors of my house.  I also hung an extra on on the other side of the front porch.  I just stood out there for 15-20 minutes and did not see one fly even fly onto the porch area.  My son told me it looks goofy, but I don't care if it keeps flies out of my house.   ;D  I have had days where I will have like 20 in the window and it is just totally disgusting.   :P

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 04:57:40 PM »
We have used the ziploc bags of water as a fly deterrent for years with wonderful results. 
We first used them when we lived at a church camp in the mountains with a horrible, gross fly problem.  The flies clustered around the dining hall doors and windows - YUCK!!  It did NOT make the camp food any more appetizing!  :D  We just hung a couple of bags of water and no more infestation.  There were a couple of zany flies that made it in anyway, but nothing like we usually had.

We found that we had to change the water every couple of days to retain the same effectiveness.  It looks funny, but I'm in favor of no flies at my house!
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline mrs_zog

• Adept
  • Joseph's Coat rose bush:a gift from my parents
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 07:47:56 PM »
I hung them on the sides and top of them garage door. NO flies in my garage or at the door going into the house from the garage. 

When you say "garage door," do you mean the door you drive cars through? I'm wondering if this would keep flies out of a barn that has no doors on it, but just a large opening at each end--smaller than your average car garage door, but a few times the size of a "people door."  :)
A woman is like a tea bag--only in hot water do you realize how strong she is. ~Nancy Reagan

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 02:37:53 AM »
I hung them on the sides and top of them garage door. NO flies in my garage or at the door going into the house from the garage.

When you say "garage door," do you mean the door you drive cars through? I'm wondering if this would keep flies out of a barn that has no doors on it, but just a large opening at each end--smaller than your average car garage door, but a few times the size of a "people door."  :)
yes, the garage car door.   ;D I thought about hanging them outside the "people" door but then I thougth hey, if I can keep them out of the garage too all the better.  Also, I am quite sure the restaurants my mother saw them in in brazil were pretty open.  I think it would work.   :)

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 02:39:38 AM »

We found that we had to change the water every couple of days to retain the same effectiveness.  It looks funny, but I'm in favor of no flies at my house!
thanks for the fresh water tip!  :)

Offline starryiz

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2007, 03:09:38 AM »
Wow...this water in a ziploc bag sounds great!  We live near chicken houses and get flies terrible. 

To do it, do you just fill a ziploc bag with water and tack it up in the doorway?

I wonder if this would work if I put them on my horse's fence posts too?

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2007, 04:18:57 AM »
Wow...this water in a ziploc bag sounds great!  We live near chicken houses and get flies terrible. 

To do it, do you just fill a ziploc bag with water and tack it up in the doorway?

That's what I did.  Not sure about the fence posts but all you've got to lose is a few baggies  :)  I did put on too close to the door and squashed it.   ::)

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2007, 04:26:34 AM »

It doesn't even have to be a ziplock bag.  Any little clear plastic bag will work, just tie a know in the top.  They did  this in the Mexican village where I lived.  (they don;t have ziplocks!)

They all swear by it, and it really does work. But, does anybody know WHY it works?

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2007, 05:07:52 AM »

It doesn't even have to be a ziplock bag.  Any little clear plastic bag will work, just tie a know in the top.  They did  this in the Mexican village where I lived.  (they don;t have ziplocks!)

They all swear by it, and it really does work. But, does anybody know WHY it works?
The ladies house I was at that had them said the water causes a glare b/c of the way their eyes are made so they won't fly past it.  She said she saw on some tv show. 

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2007, 07:37:59 AM »
 "But, does anybody know WHY it works?"

It gives off an invisible force field that hums at a frequency that only flies can hear and it frightens them.  ~I guess I spend too much time with my children.  I'll go back into their world now.~

(btw, I was kidding about the force field!)   ;D
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2007, 04:27:35 AM »
Would two liter bottles work?  You could get creative and make them more decorative ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2007, 05:51:44 AM »
"But, does anybody know WHY it works?"

"It is not known why or how this works, but it is worth a try: You can tape sandwich-size zip-top bags half filled with water to your doors. These water bags will repel flies.

Perhaps the reflections in the water make a difference, somehow scaring or confusing the flies. Entomologists know that flies are phototropic, meaning they are attracted to light, but they don't know why these water bags repel flies. "I have no earthly idea," an entomologist from __ State University replied when asked how well and how this works.

If you want to try this, here are some guidelines:

Use a sandwich-sized zip-top bag. Fill it about half-full with water. If it's completely full, then it doesn't move and movement is said to be important by those who swear by this method. Zip the bag closed and tape the top of the bag to the outside of your door. Replenish the water as needed; there will be some evaporation.

You may get some questions as to why you have little bags of water taped to your door. Here are some explanations you can use:

~It attracts flies
~It scares flies
~If it freezes we know it's cold outside
~If it's boiling we know it's hot outside
~To see if anyone is paying attention
~I don't know, ask the Bugman. This is his idea.

I would add:
And the #1 reason why people tape bags of water over their doors:  "Because somebody on WellTellMe told me to!"

I don't know ... maybe the force field makes just as much sense as flies seeing their reflection...

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2007, 06:29:21 AM »
Would two liter bottles work?  You could get creative and make them more decorative ;D

I just thought of something else.  If the glare from the 2 liter bottle would work as well, wouldn't it work even better if it was moving?  You could hang a bottle from the rafters and have it on a swivel and you could even decorate it like a windchime.  It wouldn't look quite so dorky and if it was moving, you might not need as many???

Any thoughts?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2007, 06:31:23 AM »
i think you should patent that FAST HB!!

any one thought of how fun that would be to hang some for the flies and then hang some "accidently" too close  to the door so the next kid to slam it gets a shower!?!?! or is it just my wicked mind....BWAAHAHAHAHA!!" ;) :D ;D

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2007, 07:32:00 AM »
   any one thought of how fun that would be to hang some for the flies and then hang some "accidently" too close  to the door so the next kid to slam it gets a shower!?!?! or is it just my wicked mind....BWAAHAHAHAHA!!" ;) :D ;D

If your mind is wicked then so is mine- I didn't think of it until I saw your post but I LIKE that idea. Then too last night I was getting jazzed because I got spray bottles (my old ones all wore out & I was having a hard time finding more locally that WORKED) & now I can use them on my cat to retrain him to stay OFF the counter. Maybe my mind IS wicked. BTW- Tigger has now remembered why he doesn't like spray bottles- he got reintroduced to them last night. HeHe  Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2007, 10:22:54 AM »
I just KNEW that the 'force field' explanation made some sort of sense!  Now, I believe that I will try to decorate my baggies full of water by tinting the water and maybe adding some confetti or glitter.  healthybratt got me thinking that this could be a decorating challenge!  WaaaaHaaaa Haaa HAAA HAAA! 

If we try the 2 liter bottle, maybe it could double as a birdhouse, with a bit of creative x-acto knife work and a glue gun. 

My DH wants to know if anyone has any theories on who thought up this waterbag idea and HOW??   I mean, I don't normally tell the kiddos to put a baggie on the wall outside.

But seriously, this WORKS!  I have no idea why, but I am so happy to have less flies around our place.