Author Topic: Homemade Root Beer: Recipes, Tips, Troubleshooting  (Read 9661 times)

YoopreMama

Homemade Root Beer: Recipes, Tips, Troubleshooting
« on: December 27, 2007, 04:19:25 PM »
I saw a recipe in NT for making root beer, but don't have local access to sarsparilla root (that I know of).  I then wondered about making root beer flavored kombucha...:

OK...on a whim, I thought I'd ask if anyone's made kombucha taste like root beer?  Would senna taste like it?  (Sorry for not reading through 8 pages...)
I tried making a batch by adding Sarsparilla root. It turned out Ok. Kind of "woody" tasting, but not exactly root beer. But it DID make it foam more. We can harvest fresh Sasafrass root around here and the tea of it does taste like root beer, so the next time I can find some fresh sasafrass root, I'm going to try it in my K. Or maybe both so it would taste like root beer AND foam lots.

but haven't tried it yet.   ::)

Then I found this link while reading about making cheese:

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Cheese/ROOTBEER_Jn0.htm

Has anyone made a good root beer?  Any recommendations?

Offline MichelleB

• Learning
  • Towing the broken jeep round the yard, redneck fun
Re: Homemade Root Beer: Recipes, Tips, Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 07:56:50 AM »
Sorry I have never made rootbeer, but my Dad tells stories of making it as a child.
I have always wanted to make some, but never got around to it. Thank you Thank you for the website link! I am printing it out now and will hopefully be making rootbeer soon.

Come on gals I know atleast one of you has a recipe for rootbeer to share.
 ;D
Ps113:9 He settles the barren woman as a happy mother of children
3 years unexplained infertility VS. GOD'S POWER!!!!
10-29-06
1-22-09

YoopreMama

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 11:04:29 AM »
I'll post one later...found it in a fictitious Amish book!  VERY simple...

Offline blessedmama

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 02:56:16 PM »
I saw a recipe in NT for making root beer, but don't have local access to sarsparilla root (that I know of). 
OH OH Oh pick me pick me!!! I have sasparilla root that I ordered from our food co-op Azure I have been wanting to make some AND I have a NT book but just haven't done it.  I suppose I should try to tackle that maybe on Friday.  That's the only day I think I will have time.  I did read on the Weston Price website there was an article about making your own "soda pop" but I don't have the little deal-e-o that goes on the top of the glass jug or the glass jug.  Anyway Yooper if you want some sasparilla I will send you some!!  ;D  :-*
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no, she's awake."  Above Rubies e-newsletter

www.homesteadblogger.com/prestonacreage

YoopreMama

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 07:57:32 AM »
...I have sarsparilla root that I ordered from our food co-op Azure I have been wanting to make some AND I have a NT book but just haven't done it.  I suppose I should try to tackle that maybe on Friday.  That's the only day I think I will have time.  I did read on the Weston Price website there was an article about making your own "soda pop" but I don't have the little deal-e-o that goes on the top of the glass jug or the glass jug.  Anyway Yooper if you want some sarsparilla I will send you some!!  ;D  :-*
Make sure you post any experiments!  ;D  And sure, send on the sarsparilla!  :D :-*

Here's the recipe:

2 c. white sugar
1 gallon lukewarm water
3 t. root beer extract
1 t. dry yeast

Mix well & pour into jars.  Cover & set in the sun for 4 hours.  Chill before serving the next day.

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 09:45:29 AM »
Cool!  that looks so easy Yooper!  Have you tried it yet?  I have a ginger ale recipe that is similar to that that I need to try as well.  Thanks for posting this!

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 10:47:50 AM »
I bought some root beer flavored stevia extract and am planning on adding it to sparkling water.  Haven't tried it, yet, though.

Your recipe sounds very simple, Yooper.

YoopreMama

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 12:49:50 PM »
Mmmm...yours is even simpler, Crystal!   :D

Haven't tried it yet...something about that WHITE sugar  :o  You think maybe the yeast turns it into something beneficial like a SCOBY does in 'bucha?    ???

Just wishful thinking... :D

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 02:31:48 PM »
I found this link for a recipe using roots and real stuff, instead of extract

http://www.greydragon.org/library/brewing_root_beer.html

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 07:24:40 AM »
I made this today and it is really tasty!   For the Sassafras I used
Pappy's Sassafras Concentrate.  And I used brown sugar instead of white.  I can't believe how easy that was to make!

Update:  I wanted to add that this is a tad too yeasty tasting for my taste.  I wonder if I could put in less yeast???
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 03:56:05 PM by SarahLaRae »

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 03:22:19 PM »
Ok......tried the root beer flavored stevia extract in sparkling water.  It is NOT something my family will like, that is for certain.  Not worth the $8 for the stevia.   :-\  Oh well, live and learn...... ;)  Now, onto a "real" root beer recipe!

Offline Redheadedmama

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 09:52:54 AM »
I am going to make this spring break , I'm learning so much lately about just going back to basics and making all natural foods etc.! I wish we had a health food store right here where I live but I live 2 hours away from one and that's hard to do. so I ordered on line when I can afford it. Its like reading a big book on here on all things u need to know to be healthy and to make sure your family,  etc; ;D is healthy