Author Topic: Natural Antibiotics - Contagiousness  (Read 2419 times)

Offline amenking

• Learning
Natural Antibiotics - Contagiousness
« on: December 22, 2007, 09:55:33 AM »
I have my son on several natural antibiotics to fight off a bad cold/cough he has going on. Plus I think he is getting over an ear infection. He is currently taking Colloidial Silver, garlic oil in his ears, GOOT on his feet etc.  I am also using GSE.

I understand that all of these are natural antibiotics, and that they are much more beneficial than conventional, but what I was wondering is do natural antibiotic help with contagiousness like conventional antibiotics?

For example a child with strep is able to go back to school after being on conventional antibiotics for 3 days or so because he is no longer contagious.

Does the same hold true for using natural antibiotics?

I have searched several of the threads, but haven't seen this addressed specifically.

Thanks for all your help!!!!

April

Offline amenking

• Learning
Re: Natural Antibiotics - Contagiousness
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 05:04:51 PM »
BUMP :)

Anyone ???

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 05:31:31 PM »
It's my understanding that the way that antibiotics reduce contagiousness is because by taking them you in theory knock the bacteria counts down to a low enough bacteria count that you are considered no longer contagious. Natural antibiotics also knock down the bacteria counts down so they should leave you non contagious as well.

That being said, in your example of a child with strep being allowed back after 3 days on antibiotics keep in mind that most schools will not believe that natural antibiotics will work & could give you major hassle about it if they know. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom 

Offline amenking

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 05:50:02 PM »
Thank you herbalmom!  That is what I thought.  I truly believe that natural antibiotics work so much better too!

I don't think I would have a problem just saying that my child was on an antibiotic though, it would be a true statement, what do you think??

I homeschool, but wanted to give an example for clarity.

I was wondering for church and situations like that.   

Merry Christmas,

April

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 06:17:14 PM »
Yes, saying that he's on antibiotic treatment would be a true statement, IMO. We homeschool also so we don't deal with situations like that often but I just say that they are being treated for it & usually leave it at that.

I understand using strep/public school as an example for clarity. I just wasn't sure if it was an example or your situation & others reading it in the future may have children that are in public school, etc which is why I said what I did. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline hodgy

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 04:24:28 AM »
My kids are in public school and when my daughter came home with a fever above 100 degrees they said she would need a doctors note to return.  I took her to the doc, got the diagnosis of strep, and a script for antibiotic.(I never got it filled)   I treated her with CS and GSE and sent her back after 24 hrs.  She felt better didn't have a fever.  I continued the regimen for 10 days.  The other children in her class suffered much longer and had many more reocurrances of strep.  Many of the children missed many WEEKS of school and took regular antibiotics.  I worried for a while about my choice to use naturals, but so far so good.  I felt like she was not contagious after the intitial 24 hrs b/c no pain and no fever. HTH

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 09:22:47 AM »
We have always had a requirement of being symptom-free and no fever for at least 24 hours before contact with other people is permitted. 

We believe that it pays to err on the side of caution, as you don't know whether the people you are around have strong immune systems or not. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline amenking

• Learning
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 09:29:21 AM »
Thank you ladies for your replies!!  That helps a lot! 

I have been reading on here for a long time now and it has been a great source of info for me.

herbalmom - thanks for your reply back about school situation, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic at all, I hope I didn't come over that way :)

April

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 11:01:55 AM »
herbalmom - thanks for your reply back about school situation, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic at all, I hope I didn't come over that way :)

Not at all. When I read your first post I wasn't sure if your example of school policy was just an example or if it was a situation that you deal with because your children are in public school so I answered the way I did to cover both possibilities. I didn't think you were being sarcastic in the least, it never even crossed my mind. Your very welcome & I'm glad I could help. Actually, it was a good question that I'm surprised hadn't been asked before. Blessings ~herbalmom