Author Topic: Beer, Wine, Spirits  (Read 33869 times)

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
Beer, Wine, Spirits
« on: July 18, 2006, 11:32:26 AM »
That looks great!  My wife is right- the bread she makes is pretty good for dipping, although- I must confess- sourdough is outstanding for dipping!  Its the wine I drink with it, that some folks have the hang-up with.     Luckily I enjoy the deep red wines 

Me too!  :P ;D I lived in Israel for a while and if you told a Jewish Christian that Jesus actually drank grape juice, they'd laugh like you were telling a joke. Everybody there drinks red wine with their evening meals - even the kids.

And crusty bread, olive oil dips, and ripe olives are definitely a must for every great meal!!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 11:35:03 AM by BeeyoutifulGirl »
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
Re: Beer, Wine, Spirits
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 01:36:06 PM »
That looks great!  My wife is right- the bread she makes is pretty good for dipping, although- I must confess- sourdough is outstanding for dipping!  Its the wine I drink with it, that some folks have the hang-up with.     Luckily I enjoy the deep red wines 

Me too!  :P ;D I lived in Israel for a while and if you told a Jewish Christian that Jesus actually drank grape juice, they'd laugh like you were telling a joke. Everybody there drinks red wine with their evening meals - even the kids.

And crusty bread, olive oil dips, and ripe olives are definitely a must for every great meal!!

Outstanding!  I have always laughed similarly when the notion of Jesus drinking grape juice has been proposed- Im guessing it would render the example of the new wine into old wineskins senseless if it was just grapejuice- or the miracle of water into wine at the Wedding Celebration- or...

I think that the flavor of the wine, brings out the italian spices and the olive oil. 

Thanks for sharing the insight from living with the Jewish Christians!

G

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 01:42:26 PM »
I enjoy the occasional beer and glass of wine (especially sitting on the front porch with my DW after the kids are in bed).  I have been making my own beer for some time- there are no additives in the ingredients, and it is very easy to make:

www.mrbeer.com

I am going to start making my own wine sometime in the future, for more natural wine, and to get it cheaper- I am looking at this kit right here:

http://www.eckraus.com/KT120_____BEA.html

G

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 01:57:41 PM »
My mom has made blackberry wine for years, she was always horrified we would get drunk so she hid it from us, we ALWAYS found it, we just always replaced it, sometimes she would hide it so well she herself couldnt find it, so she would have to ask us. Unfailing she would give us the lecture on drunkeness.          ;D
  I have made my own dandolion wine, it was really good, and had a terrific kick, but it smelled terrible, i think i did something wrong.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 02:02:27 PM »
We enjoy a good wine and my hubby is interested in making his own.  In Matthew it says that Jesus was called a winebibber.  You don't get that title jugging down a lot of juice!  The only thing is I have a bad reaction to the yeast in wine, so I was thinking of making the kind that Jordan Rubin suggested in the Maker's Diet.  Only I haven't been able to find the liquid acidophilus. :-\  Anyone know of a good organic and sulfite-free red wine.  Oh, yeah, we are hillbillies and like the sweet kind.  You know, the cheap concord stuff.  Can't stand expensive tastes like merlot and shiraz etc.

Offline Elizab04

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 02:07:16 PM »
My father-in-law makes his own beer.  My husband makes his own wine.  After the initial investment it is a lot cheaper to make it and fun, too.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 02:11:01 PM »
I do have a question about the dandelion wine.  It has always confused me.  Supposedly, wine is great for the heart, but awful on the liver.  But dandelion is a magnificent liver detoxifier.  So, does the dandelion counteract the alcohol and make it okay, or worse ??? Anyone know?

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 06:14:04 AM »
Oh, yeah, we are hillbillies and like the sweet kind.  You know, the cheap concord stuff.  Can't stand expensive tastes like merlot and shiraz etc.

US TOO!!!!! ;D
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 06:50:09 AM »
Oh, yeah, we are hillbillies and like the sweet kind.  You know, the cheap concord stuff.  Can't stand expensive tastes like merlot and shiraz etc.

US TOO!!!!! ;D

Say it isnt so!!  ;D  Merlot and Shiraz are proof that God loves us!   8)

I have found them to be an acquired taste, usually with a food that brings out the flavor ... like italian spices in bread dipping!

G

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 07:00:45 AM »

Say it isnt so!! ;D Merlot and Shiraz are proof that God loves us! 8)

G

Perhaps, it could go well with your chili recipe?  Which, by the way, I am making for a pot luck this Sunday, so it better be good!!  Or do you drink beer with your chili?  Gross!!  Beer tastes like urine!   ;D

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 07:14:17 AM »

Say it isnt so!! ;D Merlot and Shiraz are proof that God loves us! 8)

G

Perhaps, it could go well with your chili recipe?  Which, by the way, I am making for a pot luck this Sunday, so it better be good!!  Or do you drink beer with your chili?  Gross!!  Beer tastes like urine!   ;D

I will be excited to hear how it goes over!  I have had good responses in the past from those who have tried it.  Beer is preferred with chili- my favorite is Cowboy Lager that you can make with a kit from this company- it is a pale beer with some spice flavoring:

www.mrbeer.com

Redwine and chili are not good partners- you need a good spicy beer to go with chili- preferably not a dark or brown beer which are smoother, with exceptions for Guinness (any beer that can hold a fork upright gets extra points).

If you use the spices as listed- you may want to label the chili with something that denotes a hazardous nature- like say "Michaeal's Fire from Heaven" or "Lord of the Beans- Balrog Brew".  If you put a warning to only eat it out of stainless steel bowls, that will generally notify the faint of heart.  Of course, there is the old standby of "Colon Blow", but it might be wasted on some...  (I have put out a sampling spoon next to the crock pot, with a hole burned in it- props are awesome  ;D)

G

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 07:17:02 AM »
Beer tastes like urine!   ;D

Have you been doing the urine therapy? How would you  know something like this?  :o

The only sweet wine we really like is Carlo's Sangria. It is very rich and fruity and makes a good family-friendly wine for taking the Lord's table. My kids think that kefir d'uva is wine and like to drink that with their oil and bread.

My three year old would drink olive oil if I let her - all three of my kids are "dippers".

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 08:40:19 AM »
Have you been doing the urine therapy? How would you  know something like this?

Yah, my big dark secret is out.  I have done the urine therapy!  Just kidding! :) Hey, I drank beer  once unsaved.  Never had a desire to drink it, again.  Although, my friend who is German told me never to drink American beer, anyways.  I guess it is just done wrong here.  I still have no desire for beer! 

I thought sangria was a strong drink and not a wine.  Interesting.  Our first home communion, our three year old could not stop drinking the wine!!  My husband had to preach to him about drunkedness at the Lord's table. ;D 

If you use the spices as listed- you may want to label the chili with something that denotes a hazardous nature- like say "Michaeal's Fire from Heaven" or "Lord of the Beans- Balrog Brew". If you put a warning to only eat it out of stainless steel bowls, that will generally notify the faint of heart. Of course, there is the old standby of "Colon Blow", but it might be wasted on some... (I have put out a sampling spoon next to the crock pot, with a hole burned in it- props are awesome ;D)

This is too funny!  I can't wait to come up with some funny way to do this.  I will let you know what we decide.  Colon blow is  too funny to pass up!  But this is a Christian home church gathering, G.  What would the religious people say?!! :D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 12:26:42 PM »
Although, my friend who is German told me never to drink American beer, anyways.

Better not drink German beer either.  I have a couple of friends who drink more than they should after coming home from Germany.  Their beer is much stronger.   ;)  ...doesn't taste too shabby either.  :D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 03:19:21 PM »
Beer tastes like urine!   ;D

Have you been doing the urine therapy? How would you  know something like this?  :o

The only sweet wine we really like is Carlo's Sangria. It is very rich and fruity and makes a good family-friendly wine for taking the Lord's table. My kids think that kefir d'uva is wine and like to drink that with their oil and bread.

My three year old would drink olive oil if I let her - all three of my kids are "dippers".

Rebekah

I can very much appreciate this sentiment, and I agree with the wording you chose- taking the Lord's Table.  I had to submit some memory work for testing and was searching for a particular verse, and oddly enough- one of my favorite books is Ecclesiastes.  I find this particular book exceptionally rich in wisdom and attitude for living life.  Solomon made a point about the difference between a king and a pauper- that they both come into this world and leave it naked- so what do the concerns of man gain anyone?  It is wisdom to enjoy your life where you are, with food, drink, and merriment:

Ecclesiastes5:18 Then I realized that it is good and proper for a man to eat and drink, and to find satisfaction in his toilsome labor under the sun during the few days of life God has given him—for this is his lot. 19 Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work—this is a gift of God. 20 He seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart.

In this sentiment- I believe taking the Lord's table means to enjoy the fellowship and merriment over food and drink, with our brothers and sisters, that this is a principle thing- moreso than the stresses of life, and the chasing of wealth.

G

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2006, 04:51:00 PM »
This may not be the right thread for this question, but I thought I'd throw it out there: I've been considering getting a distillation system for our drinking water. Now, I know better than to try and resurrect the old family corn squeezin' processor . . . and I wouldn't know how to if I wanted to ::). So, when you are doing "home brew," do you purchase your equipment? Would it work for water distillation? Or would I be better off resigning myself to the expense of one of those high-priced water filtration units?
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 04:54:39 PM »
This may not be the right thread for this question, but I thought I'd throw it out there: I've been considering getting a distillation system for our drinking water. Now, I know better than to try and resurrect the old family corn squeezin' processor . . . and I wouldn't know how to if I wanted to ::). So, when you are doing "home brew," do you purchase your equipment? Would it work for water distillation? Or would I be better off resigning myself to the expense of one of those high-priced water filtration units?

Distilled water is not healthy to drink.  Read this thread for more info.  Spring water or distilled for drinking?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2006, 04:58:06 PM »

The kit I use, does not filter the water.  I am careful to use filtered water in the brew itself.  As far as water filters go, we use the one made by Amway/ Quixtar- it is a pressed carbon block that does an outstanding job, and at the time was the highest rated carbon block on the market, or so Im told. That said, we have had it for over 10 years- so things may be different now.  It wasnt too expensive I dont think- but that is relative you know.  We took it with us around the world while in the service, and it worked like a champ, filtering out bacteria and the like- bottled water was getting expensive in Japan!

I believe HB knows a bit about filtered water, I can get you info on the current version of the one we use if you are interested- other than that, the last time I ran a "still" was when we borrowed chemistry equipment from the lab in highschool to distill some fermented peach nectar my buddy found in his fridge...

G

Offline OneMaster

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 07:58:11 PM »
We enjoy a good wine and my hubby is interested in making his own...  Oh, yeah, we are hillbillies and like the sweet kind.  You know, the cheap concord stuff.

Well, I hijacked my wife's alias to get in on this one  :D  Here is a near zero investment way to make wonderful Carolina country wine (recipe courtesy of my Uncle Ray)

-Take a clean (sterilized) 1/2 gallon or gallon mason jar
-Fill it with whole (off the stem) fresh picked sweet purple/red grapes (any old country variety works great but I think concords are best)  It is best to pick the grapes yourself somewhere that doesn't use pesticides since you don't wash them.  Also you want to be sure they were handled well and in clean containers to avoid unwanted contaminants.
-Add 1 and 1/2 cups of unrefined (or refined) sugar per gallon jar
-Put the lid on tight and dip the lid end in some parafin
-Bury the jar at least 18" underground (don't forget where!  I put sand around the jars and a board on top to protect them and make it easier to dig up later)
-Dig it up 3 months later

The naturally present yeast in the anaerobic, light free environment will do its thing during those 3 months.  I pour out the wine from the grape hulls and then lightly press and filter (coffee filter) any remaining wine in the hulls.  You can try eating one of the hulls...they are full of carbon dioxide.  I  put the wine in a mason jar in the fridge.  The wine is pretty sweet and will be very bubbly for a couple of months but eventually it will stop fermenting and loose the bubbles.  During the bubly stage, I let out the pressure every week or so.  I drink it in small batches because it is so sweet, like you would most dessert wines.  I still have some from one batch that is from 2003 and it just keeps getting better.  It now tastes more like a fine port.  It sure is fun to make and taste and share  ;D
"I am your sunny day, Mama!" Joey, age 2.

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 03:03:00 AM »
We're gonna look into trying this!!! Cant wait!  But first, some questions:

-Take a clean (sterilized) 1/2 gallon or gallon mason jar

Where can you purchase mason jars of this size?

-Dig it up 3 months later

Can you let it sit underground for more than 3 months?  How long is too long?

I still have some from one batch that is from 2003 and it just keeps getting better. 

Do you keep this batch in the fridge?  Can you store it outside of the fridge?  If you were to dig it up and not open it, would it keep for a while????
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2006, 03:09:40 AM »
That is a really neat recipe!  Would be a wonderful homeschool project.  It is how the Koreans make their Kimchi, isn't it?  I just heard that yesterday.  I have absolutely no idea where to get fresh grapes from, though.  I will have to research this in our area.  Ohio has absolutely nothing going for it!!! :-\

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2006, 07:30:30 PM »
Well, I hijacked my wife's alias to get in on this one  :D 

Thanks so much for your input.  Why not get an alias of your own?  We know you want to and we'd love to have you, especially the men (they are feeling a bit out numbered). ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2006, 07:32:51 PM »
It is how the Koreans make their Kimchi, isn't it? 

Koreans do bury their kimchee but not to aid in fermentation.  It's to keep the kimchee from freezing in the winter time.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline OneMaster

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2006, 03:42:58 PM »
Well, I hijacked my wife's alias to get in on this one  :D 

Thanks so much for your input.  Why not get an alias of your own?  We know you want to and we'd love to have you, especially the men (they are feeling a bit out numbered). ;D

HeHeHe -- I think he might at some point  ;)  The funny thing is that I chose my alias based on one he typically uses since I am usually his researcher and secretary.  But I think he might come on board himself soon.

In the mean time, since he doesn't get online at home much, I can try to answer some of the previous questions.

Where can you purchase mason jars of this size?

We bought our big canning jars either at our local big box grocery store (Winco) or a WalMart type store.

Do you keep this batch in the fridge? Can you store it outside of the fridge? If you were to dig it up and not open it, would it keep for a while????

We do keep that batch in the fridge.  I will ask him about how long it could be kept underground or unopened, etc. 

I have absolutely no idea where to get fresh grapes from, though. I will have to research this in our area. Ohio has absolutely nothing going for it!!! :-\

I would think that if you bought good organic grapes from a trusty source it would be fine.  The main thing is that you don't wash them, so pesticides and such might be more of an issue, thus the fresher the better.

Is there a way to add photos to a post?  I could show you all the grapes and the jars of wine before being buried.

"I am your sunny day, Mama!" Joey, age 2.

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2006, 04:37:16 PM »
Ohio DOES have something going for it! It is all arable! Grow your own grapes, it makes great shade over an arbor! A great privacy screen too, if you're in town.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2006, 05:20:25 PM »
Ohio is like 30 something in size, but 5th in population.  That is right after the big states of CA, NY, TX, and FL.  It is in the top three for highest taxes and has four major cities that are of the poorest.  Other than that, I guess it is okay.

Ohio DOES have something going for it! It is all arable! Grow your own grapes, it makes great shade over an arbor! A great privacy screen too, if you're in town.

Okay, at the chance of making myself look real dumb, what is "arable"?  ???
I would love to grow my own, but don't have the space in town.  I don't know of anyone that grows their own, but will find a way.  Thanks!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2006, 06:58:17 AM »
Okay, at the chance of making myself look real dumb, what is "arable"?  ???
I would love to grow my own, but don't have the space in town.  I don't know of anyone that grows their own, but will find a way.  Thanks!

Grapes don't take a lot of room (I guess depending on the breed).  We have vines growing up the side of our house in town and my MIL just has them growing along a line very similar to a clothes line only closer to the ground.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2006, 08:09:16 AM »
Arable land is land you can grow things in. AZ is not all arable- too much desert, etc...

We live in town too. I would like to grow grapes along the chain link fence on one side so we are not looking into the neighbor's garage all day long. Or maybe I'll stick the glider lawn bench in the middle of the back yard and put a 2x, or rebar, or hog fence arbor over it to grow grapes on. Like I said, makes great shade. You could grow them in 2 square feet of dirt, if you train it up against the house, or a trellis... You'd be surprized at what you can grow where. Just takes a little creativity. But of course, you don't have to want to!  ;D  Some folks don't like to grow things, and that's fine too. I'm a little nutty on that point. If it's green, I'll try to grow some myself.  ;)
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2006, 05:46:39 PM »
Tell me more about crusty bread, olive oil dips, and ripe olives is there a thread on this that I have'nt found or can we start one,recipes and such.
Sherri
Just learn'n but pioneer at heart.
Sherri

Offline Charis

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2006, 04:39:25 AM »
Hey ya'll! I just made mt first batch of wine from my scupernongs. It's in the bottle now. I'm going to let it age 6 months. I tried it at this point. It had the most wonderfull fruity aroma. It was still a little sweet for my liking but I asume that it will mellow out as it sits a while. The first bottle was red scupernongs that I found growing near our pond. I have some green scupernongs fermenting on the fruit right now and I'm about to rack it off. Can't wait to see how they turn out. Oh a great book for anyone interested in making homemade wine is "The Joy of Home Winemaking". The author is very funny and it is full of great recipes.
"Momma can I have some fruit? I think my body needs some vitamin C." -Madelyn 5