Author Topic: Beer, Wine, Spirits  (Read 34072 times)

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
Re: Beer, Wine, Spirits
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2006, 09:43:22 AM »
When my older son was going through a growth spurt and I was concerned about how much milk I was NOT making, my lactation consultant suggested I drink a good imported beer (and drink lots of water) to help.  It helped, but I'm not sure if it was the beer or just drinking more water that helped, not that I minded.  We enjoy a Black and Tan on special occasions. 

Anyone know?  And I drank a McEwan's, by the way.  Husband is Scottish.  ;)
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Nickole

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2006, 09:53:05 AM »
I don't know but it's a nice excuse anyway!   :D   

Offline Mom in Mo

• Learning
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2006, 10:26:56 AM »
I have read that beer is good for lactation.  I wonder if it would work on our cow?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2006, 10:38:46 AM »
I think that beer is high in B vitamins as are other fermented foods. Can someone confirm this? If so that could be why it helps...
A missionary friend was super thin and trying to nurse. She drank (gagged down) a malted beer a day for the calories. It made a world of difference.

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2006, 10:39:30 AM »
Can you make the wine out of muskadines instead of grapes??? Right now we have an over abundance of them.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2006, 11:04:45 AM »
I think that beer is high in B vitamins as are other fermented foods. Can someone confirm this? If so that could be why it helps...
A missionary friend was super thin and trying to nurse. She drank (gagged down) a malted beer a day for the calories. It made a world of difference.
It contains brewer's yeast which is also recommended for lactation in powder or pills.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline fish7inTN

• Learning
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2006, 01:31:01 PM »
Can you make the wine out of muskadines instead of grapes??? Right now we have an over abundance of them.

My grandmother always made her wine from muskadines.  Sometimes her grape juice just fermented accidentally too.  I am not sure how she did it, but she used a gallon glass jar and put yeast and sugar in it and would put a huge balloon over the top. As kids we loved watching the balloon blow up and then suck in.  She tried banana wine one time too.  She was game to try anything!!  Who ever heard? :P

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2006, 04:31:00 PM »
I know of a winery that has over a years waiting list for their muscadine wine. They won a prize for it in a competion in Europe somewhere. Try it! you might become famous ;D

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2006, 04:37:07 PM »
I don't know if it would work for your cow, but it worked for me.  When my first baby was 6 months old, her daddy went to Iraq (Desert Storm) and I was left with her in Germany.  I spent nights awake watching the news and wondering if my hubby was okay, day was spent taking care of baby.  After several sleepless nights/days, baby was getting very frustrated at the breast as my milk wasn't letting down (stress).  The pediatrician told me to drink a glass of wine or beer a half hour before nursing.  It was enough to relax me so that my milk would let down for her.  It also helped me get some much needed sleep :).

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2006, 04:45:40 PM »
I have read that beer is good for lactation.  I wonder if it would work on our cow?

Just imagine the barnyard after a few of those...

Offline Gabe Rising

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2006, 05:51:05 PM »
Beer also has decent estrogen content... maybe this might be part of the effect?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2007, 07:01:34 AM »
The dandelions are out in all there spring glory and I am inspired to try some dandelion wine (made w/ flowers not root). Have any of you done this?
If we kept bees or had a reliable source for "less" expensive honey I'd be trying some dandelion mead!  :)

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2007, 10:40:08 AM »
I haven't but I've been thinking homemade wine is probably so good for you - concentrated fruit, fermentation, and then if you age it in wood, like I think they do with good wines, you get the essential oils and such from the wood!

I heard the other day that most imported wine has a preservative. I know red wine is supposed to be good for you but i think I'd rather save the money and buy something organic that I normally wouldn't, or a good supplement, instead.

Offline OneMaster

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2007, 10:26:40 AM »
I believe they use sulfites in many wines, even here in the U.S.  We went on a wine tour in Napa Valley, and my husband noticed that when we entered the warehouse where they were putting the wine into the big vats, many people in the group began coughing, and continued to do so until they left.  We spoke with the guys there, and they were amazed that we noticed and said, yes, they had just been adding sulfites to the wine.  My husband is allergic to sulfur dioxide, so he noticed the signs.
"I am your sunny day, Mama!" Joey, age 2.

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2007, 02:53:10 PM »
Beer also has decent estrogen content... maybe this might be part of the effect?

DH says, "Is that why so many beer drinking men appear to be in their third trimester?" :D :D
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2007, 02:55:48 PM »

DH says, "Is that why so many beer drinking men appear to be in their third trimester?" :D :D

oh too true- my father in law and i are in a competion-course i AM in my ninth month and he's still BIGGER then me!! YIKES :o
   course come to think of it he's not so much a beer drinker as a soda drinker now...still downs those beers though!!

Offline crystaldew

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2007, 04:22:41 PM »
if you poke around you could probably find some local farms that make their own organic wines from grapes or other fruit. we have some makers here in ar and muscadine is definitely on the list!
*peace*

herbfever

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2007, 02:45:08 PM »
Can anyone recommend a fruity red wine for Sangria?

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2007, 03:06:34 PM »

What exactly are you asking?  A red wine recommendation to make Sangria, or are you looking for a Sangria recipe? Just want to make sure I got it right, before I answer and sound like a dork.  ;D

herbfever

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2007, 03:46:14 PM »

What exactly are you asking?  A red wine recommendation to make Sangria, or are you looking for a Sangria recipe? Just want to make sure I got it right, before I answer and sound like a dork.  ;D

A red wine to make Sangria.

If you have a great Sangria recipe I will take that also. ;D

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2007, 03:51:43 PM »

A red wine to make Sangria.

If you have a great Sangria recipe I will take that also. ;D

Well, I have never made it, myself.  Too lazy.  Wine out of a bottle or a box is so easy!  :D  Here is a site that I found that has interesting recipes:
http://www.lisashea.com/sangria/

These are my personal suggestions:

Fruity sangria(more sweet) Concord, semi-sweet merlot, or even a white zinfandel would work.

Dryer and or bolder:  Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, merlot, cabernet sauvingnon(don't care for this one, personally, too acidic).

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2007, 03:57:40 PM »

Will the bottle say Concord or Semi Sweet Merlot?

Thanks!

Yes, it should.  Also, go for your local wines.  They tend to have flavors that are more pleasing to your palette.  ;) 

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2007, 03:34:38 PM »
I have found a lot of information that alcohol destroys the liver, but I can't seem to find in what amounts?  I know that some of the healthiest countries drink wine with a lot of their meals.  So, who would be benefiting from speaking against the consumption of alcohol?  I am not looking for anyone's biblical perspective on wether one should be consuming wine or not.  I want to know what anyone else knows about the "real" effects of wine on the liver.

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2007, 04:06:30 PM »
I have found a lot of information that alcohol destroys the liver, but I can't seem to find in what amounts? 

HIO, I don't really know anything but I thought your question was interesting.  I liked the info on this website because it told how the liver processes alcohol and then a lot of other stuff...and then at the bottom it tells what "safe" amounts are for men and women.  On another website, I read that because of the make of a woman's body (it listed some things), her liver cannot safely process as much. 

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068925/
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2007, 04:11:38 PM »

HIO, I don't really know anything but I thought your question was interesting.  I liked the info on this website because it told how the liver processes alcohol and then a lot of other stuff...and then at the bottom it tells what "safe" amounts are for men and women.  On another website, I read that because of the make of a woman's body (it listed some things), her liver cannot safely process as much. 

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068925/

Thank you so much, Kati*did!  This is exactly what I was looking for.  I know that in France women drink a TON more than what this site had recommended as a safe allowance.  Are they just built with liver of steel or something?  :D

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2007, 04:15:07 PM »
Hee hee...don't know!  My guess is that, because they live and eat much healthier, preventing disease isn't as hard.  Maybe there aren't so many other thing already clogging up their livers!  For a long time I drank a glass of wine every day, and I don't know of any problems resulting from it. 
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2007, 05:53:05 PM »
funny, i was just wondering this myself today!  i think it is ok to occasionally drink the "safe" amount.  the liver being a regenerative organ, it should be fine as long as you give it time to recooperate. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 05:07:22 PM by 4myhoonie »
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2007, 04:04:56 AM »
funny, i was just wondering this myselft today!  i think it is ok to occasionally drink the "safe" amount.  the liver being a regenerative organ, it should be fine as long as you give it time to recooperate. 

Does anyone else who drinks wine have any problems with bloating?  I read that Europeans do not get fat from wine and such because they eat homemade yogurt everyday.  Well, I don't do that, but I take a probiotic, yet if I drink wine everyday, my stomach swells.  When hubby is laid off and we cannot afford wine, my stomach shrinks.  Do you think there is any correlation here?

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2007, 07:18:44 AM »
funny, i was just wondering this myselft today!  i think it is ok to occasionally drink the "safe" amount.  the liver being a regenerative organ, it should be fine as long as you give it time to recooperate. 

Does anyone else who drinks wine have any problems with bloating?  I read that Europeans do not get fat from wine and such because they eat homemade yogurt everyday.  Well, I don't do that, but I take a probiotic, yet if I drink wine everyday, my stomach swells.  When hubby is laid off and we cannot afford wine, my stomach shrinks.  Do you think there is any correlation here?

This probably won't be much help, because I don't know much about it but...

my guess is that it will effect everyone differently depending on the health of their organs, etc. My hubby feels better on his stomach if he drinks a glass after dinner in the eve. I think it actually helps him with gas. Of course he drinks dry wines and cannot stand something very sweet.

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2007, 06:42:25 AM »
I found this very interesting article on the subject.
http://chetday.com/alcoholandthebible.htm
Sherri
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri