Author Topic: Candida / Yeast: Symptoms & Cures  (Read 213002 times)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Re: Candida / Yeast: Symptoms & Cures
« Reply #360 on: November 21, 2011, 04:06:04 PM »
Perhaps a stronger probiotic? Or maybe you could make kefir, either with water or raw dairy and make a daily smoothie for him? Kefir and other fermented foods like saurkraut made more of a difference for us than any pill, but a stronger probiotic would definitely be a step in the right direction. You might also look at the a book called Potatoes Not Prozac. The steps laid out in it would likely help reduce his craving for carbs.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #361 on: November 26, 2011, 08:08:12 AM »
If he won't cut down on the carbs, the only thing you can do is increase his anti-yeast regimin.  Consider adding fermented foods to your regular routine.  Once I mastered Kombucha, my family loved it.  It also encouraged my hubs to cut down on his soda consumption because it's very well carbonated. 

Read this posts.  It contains bunches of other links which can give you more ideas.
http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2698.msg24644.html#msg24644

My hubs was a very reluctant patient and I still can't get him to stop eating candy; however, if you work on your skills as a creative cook, you can control to some degree how many carbs he eats.  You don't have to be gluten free to keep the carbs low in your cooking. 

For example, when you make a pasta dish, add more meat and veggies (spinach is a good filler) to make the ratio of carbs to protein better for him.  Mix the pasta into the sauce yourself before serving to make sure the pasta is less than if he dished it up himself.  Do things like add raw garlic (anti-yeast) to the finished product instead of cooking the garlic into the recipe.  Make your own bread and decrease the amount of sugar.  You need sugar (or honey) for bread, but you don't need as much as they put in at the factory.  Also, making your own bread will decrease the amount of refined flour which also lowers the amount of refined starches and sugars he will consume per serving. 

Bottom line is:  don't attempt to deprive your husband.  This will just make him fight.  Skip the stuff he won't do and do the things he will.  Cook as healthy as your skills and budget will allow and his tastes for healthy food will adjust over time.  My husband is proof.  I couldn't make him give up his mistress--LITTLE DEBBIE--by asking, but after a couple of years of healthy cooking, he no longer thought they tasted good.  he eats dessert, but only the stuff i make at home with healthy, whole ingredients.  don't think you can do this overnight either.  it takes time.  just keep doing what you can and let hubs decide if the sugar is worth the suffering.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #362 on: November 28, 2011, 08:29:56 AM »
Ok, thank you so much for the ideas! My husband is actually anti-sugar and I do make our own bread, but I will try to cut out more honey. He just loves bread, muffins, pasta-stuff like that, but we don't do any packaged sweets or soda. I will try a stronger probiotic-any suggestions as to a brand? We are actually working on selling our business and moving to a farm so hopefully someday I will be able to do the raw milk products. And thank you for the reminder of garlic, we both love it, but I often forget to add it to things.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #363 on: January 08, 2012, 05:22:39 PM »
Ok, thank you so much for the ideas! My husband is actually anti-sugar and I do make our own bread, but I will try to cut out more honey. He just loves bread, muffins, pasta-stuff like that, but we don't do any packaged sweets or soda. I will try a stronger probiotic-any suggestions as to a brand? We are actually working on selling our business and moving to a farm so hopefully someday I will be able to do the raw milk products. And thank you for the reminder of garlic, we both love it, but I often forget to add it to things.
for fighting yeast, this is the one i use.  http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-8-Billion-Acidophilus-Bifidus-120-Capsules-Ice/1145?at=0

(if you can't find it locally, you can use LIN172 as a coupon code to get $5 off your first order at the site above.)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline OzarkGirl

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #364 on: August 14, 2012, 04:43:14 PM »
For the last 5 weeks, I have had a dull headache around the back of my head, towards my neck. I went to a chiropractor in my town, he cracked my neck and sent me on my way. That didn't seem to help anything. So, after another weeks, I went to another chiropractor, who specialized in upper cervical care. He cracked me again, and put my axis bone back into place, thinking that it was causing most of my pain. I had X-Rays as well, where they found that I have Kyphosis, which is the straightening of the neck. My neck is straight, there is no curve. Once my axis was in place, I thought surely the headache would go away, but it still hasn't. I am now seeing a chiropractic physician, who specialized in alternative healthcare. He found out that I also have a candida buildup around my kidneys and bowels. I have been on a no carb and no sugar diet for about 2 weeks now. I have seen some improvement, but the headache is still there. He also put me on Candida cleanse pills (similar to Yeast Assassin). I feel like I am always hungry. He doesn't want me eating hardly any red meats, fruit, or anything with carbs or sugar. I had no idea how hard this would be!

To you who have had candida problems, have you ever dealt with the headache? Also, what diet worked best for you? I feel like I am constantly hungry for something with flavor! Hope someone can help!

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #365 on: August 15, 2012, 04:00:30 AM »
Hi OzarkGirl,

Those headaches still hit me when I slip back to my old ways and consume too many carbs or sugars.  Because of my history of antibiotics and sugar addiction, I'm super sensitive to sliding back into my old cravings.  The healtier I get, the easier it is for the trigger foods to upset my system.  Because candida attacks your imune system, you may also be struggling (as I am right now) with environmental allergies compounding the problem.  I've had a nagging neck/headache for the last week or so and even energy loss.  I'm also craving anything that turns to sugar in my body.  It's my old 'get something in me to make it go away and then the headache comes back stronger' cycle.  I can only tell you to drink lots of water to flush your system and stay strong with the dietary limitations.  I do know how hard it is but it gets better a little at a time as you go along.  'Be strong and take courage'  :)  You might try some virgin coconut oil to help build your system, cut the cravings and fill you up with good fats.  It really does help me...I'm learning to like coconut because of what it does for me but still not loving the taste.

T

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #366 on: August 15, 2012, 01:16:56 PM »
Definitely add in good fats to help you feel full and cut cravings.  Coconut oil is also anti-fungal so that is a very good choice.  Avocados would be another good choice.  Have you looked at the GAPS diet?

Offline Sewbusy

• Adept
« Reply #367 on: August 15, 2012, 05:09:53 PM »
Coconut oil is a very good thing for candida. Just wish I knew a good way to get it down (that doesnt involve carbs)

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #368 on: August 16, 2012, 06:45:58 AM »
It melts beautifully in a cup of hot tea...I have a large cup of 1/2 rooiboos tea 1/2 homemade almond or pumpkin seed milk with a half tsp. real salt, a tsp. of blackstrap molasses, a dropper of hazelnut stevia and a tbs. of coconut oil for breakfast in cool months.  I can go a long time before I eat again with that in me.  It seems to emulsify so I don't feel like I'm drinking a cup of oil.  I also make a candy (mentioned other places on the forum) of co, nut butter, cocoa powder and stevia (any flavor).  Warm the co if you need to to mix well and put in the fridge for a bit.  Cut in chunks and eat like a candy bar.  My daughter has been making 'doughnut holes' with 1/3 c. co, 1 1/2 C. rolled oats, 1c. oat flour and 1/4 c.maple syrup.  She rolls those in balls and then rolls them in oat flour and cinnamon and chill.  I imagine you could replace the flour with a carb free something and use stevia instead of maple syrup.  Are there carbs in coconut flour?  I haven't looked into that since I don't love coconut.  Nut butters might work...

Did that help at all or get your creative juices going? ;D

T