Author Topic: (GFCF) Gluten Free Casein Free Diets: Menus, Recipes & Tips  (Read 234506 times)

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
No one yet?!  There has to be someone out there that has their child on a gluten free diet!  Anyone even know of a book that could help or anything????
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: (GFCF) Gluten Free Casein Free Diets: Menus, Recipes & Tips
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 05:33:34 AM »
No one yet?!  There has to be someone out there that has their child on a gluten free diet!  Anyone even know of a book that could help or anything????

Send a note to Dara.  I think she has some experience in this area.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 03:45:12 PM »
If you've read "Unraveling the Mysteries of Autism", then you have a basic idea of why the GFcf diet (gluten free, casein free diet) can help kids with disorders. We had our son on the diet for a couple months only to find he had an allergy to oats. Anyway, a good cookbook, which you can get from the library, is called "Special Diets for Special Kids" which is GFCF.  There is also a good series by "The Gluten Free Gourmet" at the library too. Her recipes are not all dairy free, but she often suggests subsitutions for the GFCF diet. There is a web site called gfcfdiet.com with lots of info and support. There are other posts on this site as well. I'd check under Children's Health and search the word "gluten". I do not personally know anything about sensory disorders, but hope this info can be helpful. If you have any more question, feel free to ask. I might not know, but perhaps I can give you research leads. Best Wishes!
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 04:32:00 PM »
Thank You Dara.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:16:40 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 05:09:17 PM »
Sorry to take so long to reply - didn't see til now.  :-/

I have my four and a half year old on a dairy free/gluten free diet.  Did so after food allergy testing at three years of age pin pointed the problems.

I have found that it is actually not that difficult to do so.  If you live where there are any natural food stores, they should have a selection of gluten free flours and products.  If not, check out Bob's Red Mill on line.  They have actually a large variety of gluten free products.  I have made a blend of flours that I now use in place of regular flour in all of my recipes.  With this resource I can make pancakes and waffles for breakfasts, cookies and muffins for snacks, and have even made brownies once.  I use the Bob's GF bread mix even though it is expensive cuz I just have not been able to get a good bread down yet.  The only "hard" things to duplicate are tortillas and pie crusts cuz they both require rolling and the texture of gluten free flours just don't lend themselves to that method.

I use rice milk in place of dairy when needed.  Obviously we just skip cheese.  I use canola oil or smart balance "margarine" in place of butter as appropriate.  another thought - sometimes those with dairy allergies also have a beef allergy - same animal.  This is the case for my son.  In all reality, once a child is two years old they don't need to drink milk from a nutritional standpoint so it is easy to substitute with good juices and water.

For my son, chicken eggs and peanuts and coconut are also issues so we avoid the last two and I use either egg replacer or duck eggs as needed.

I have found gluten free pretzels and bars for snacks and obviously it "forces" one to eat healthier and avoid processed foods - a win for the whole family.  There are rice and corn and quinea(sp?) pastas to replace the normal pasta.  You should stay away from canned soups (especially creams) as they have both dairy and wheat. 

Hope this gives you some "light".  It seemed insurmountable at first, but now is second nature.  :-)
Lori
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:16:55 AM by healthybratt »
I aM PERSUADeD

Romans 8:38-39
II Timothy 1:12

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 09:12:15 AM »
You are all such a great help.  I ordered some gluten free cookbooks from the library and "Unraveling the mystery of Austism" since they help explain a gluten/wheat free diet.  I went to our local health food store last night and got rice pasta, rice cakes, and some brown rice flour to cook with.  I already use rice milk with him since regular milk gives him sinus problems.  And I love Smart Balance!!  We read this great book called "The Body By God" about two years ago and have tried to stick close to that type of diet (natural, no white sugar or flour) etc.  I am definently having problems finding a bread replacement though since I cannot spend over $4 a loaf!!  I thought about trying to make my own but I don't have a bread machine.  But it's nice to know that someone else does this and that it becomes easier once you try it.  Just having a hard time with my husband agreeing with it b/c he thinks he will starve on this diet and it's hard to have the wheat stuff around for just him to eat b/c my four yr. old will get into it.  I need to think of a solution there.  Hopefully the cookbooks would really help.  What kind of flours do you mix to make pancakes, waffles and such?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:17:07 AM by healthybratt »
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 01:09:23 PM »
Only have a second- the all purpose rice flour blend is posted in recipes and how tos, and it makes great waffles- our bread subsitute! Waffle bread for everthing...  more later....
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:17:19 AM by healthybratt »

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 02:16:04 PM »
[Just having a hard time with my husband agreeing with it b/c he thinks he will starve on this diet and it's hard to have the wheat stuff around for just him to eat b/c my four yr. old will get into it.  I need to think of a solution there.  Hopefully the cookbooks would really help.  What kind of flours do you mix to make pancakes, waffles and such?

A couple of things - while I only make one "meal" and use the alternative pastas and such for most family cooking, it is fairly easy to keep a loaf of regular bread for hubby and those who do not need to be gluten free.  And a four year old is old enough to understand that certain foods bother his tummy and are not good for him.  My four year old asks all the time if something is gluten free and knows what he can and cannot have.  And knows the "price" he pays if he eats something "wrong".

My flour blend: 
brown rice flour - 2 cups
potato starch flour - 2/3 cup
tapioca flour - 1 & 1/3 cup
amaranth flour - 2/3 cup
garfava flour - 2/3 cup
sorghum flour - 1/3 cup
cornstarch - 1 cup

Why all these?  :-)  Well, the rice flour alone tends to be bland and heavy, not a good texture.  The bean flour has great texture but is strong tasting.  The others add flavor and texture and a variety of nutritional elements to the mix.  Another plus is that rice and beans when combined make a complete protein so this flour blend, while a carb, also provides a source of protein.  And for some reason doesn't seem to "go to sugar" in your system the same way a normal carb does.

You will find that the cookies and snacks you make with this flour will be completely acceptable to hubby and others.  In fact it is one of my favorite fun "tricks" to serve gluten free things to guests and others and see the response - which usually they can't tell the difference or like it as much or better.

One thing to remember - you must use "xanthan gum" whenever using gluten free flours.  It is expensive but goes a long way as you only use a teaspoon generally in most recipes.  I also tend to boost the liquid a bit depending upon consistency as these flours tend to "absorb" differently - but this is something you get a feel for real quick.  :-)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:17:29 AM by healthybratt »
I aM PERSUADeD

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 02:49:06 PM »
That makes sense about the different flours.  Where do you get some of them b/c I was at the health food store last night and didn't see amaranth, garfava, or sorghum flours.  I see what you mean about them absorbing different too.  Tonight I tried a wheat cookie recipe and substituted oat flour for the wheat. (Does oat flour have gluten?)  The cookies where VERY crumbly when I baked them for them full time and a little pasty if I took them out sooner.  Have you tried a bread recipe with this flour blend?  Also, my four-year-old doesn't get upset tummy from the gluten, but I've read that it can somehow effect his behavior and make his sensory problems worse.  That's why his therapist said if all else fails try a gluten free diet, since it is a difficult thing to do.  So I need to come up with a way to explain it to him so he understands he just cannot have that stuff even if Daddy can.  The whole thing (dealing with the sensory stuff)  has been exhausting, emotional, and a downright nghtmare at times.  But in the midst of all this I can sometimes see a glimpse of God really working and it helps remind me of whose really in control here!!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:17:40 AM by healthybratt »

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 04:41:59 PM »
Hi again,

Yes, oats have gluten too.  So instead of oatmeal, I found a gluten free hot cereal from Bob's Red Mill.

Yes, I tried making bread with my bread maker and it didn't work.  Tried twice.  That is why I have resigned myself to using the BRM GF bread mix (I pay ~$4.50 a loaf) and it can be made with a bread maker or by hand.  The only one who eats that bread are my two boys (4 and 2) so a loaf lasts a week easily.  We are not big sandwich people so maybe that makes a difference.

Besides the obvious tummy problems, my son's behavior was rough.  He really has been a different child since clearing out his system.  Maybe just tell him it is better for him and will make him grow and be strong and healthy?  :-)  I don't know - telling my son what he can or cannot have hasn't been an issue for the most part. 

I am blessed to live in the northwest where organic and natural foods and all that stuff is HUGELY popular.  So we have lots of stores I can by this stuff in, even in bulk.  And Bob's Red Mill is on line if you need to order things.  I don't know the website off hand, but am sure you can google it.  Again, depending upon how many you cook for, things go a long way.  The flour blend I told you about earlier lasts a week and that is with homemade breakfast (for 3-4 people) most days and at least one baked snack a week.

Write if you have more questions.  :-)
Lori

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:17:50 AM by healthybratt »
I aM PERSUADeD

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 05:07:26 PM »
I'm so bummed about the oats! :-[ He has eaten cheerios for breakfast every morning for like a year and I took them away b/c the gluten thing and bought rice cereal instead.  It went okay, considering that sensory kids HATE change in routine or anything else.  But today he actually ate a bowl of oatmeal with just honey for breakfast and then asked for it again at lunch.  I was shocked!  His diet is usually so bland and smooth that the texture of oatmeal was horrible for him.  But he ate both bowls.  So that's a bummer!  I thought about trying millet with honey.  How did you clean your son's system out once you took him off all the gluten?  It seems like all that stuff would still be in the intestines built up even after you quite giving it to him.  Especially for my son who has been eating mainly wheat bread, crackers, pretzels, bagels, and cereal for the last year or more!  I'll definently look online for that flour and check out the other health food store I know of to see if they have it and if it's just cheaper to order it online.   This will definently be tough for him b/c he's very controling (not that I give in to him though :-\) and he has a very hard time functioning with any type of change.  We've been doing the Wilbarger Protocol (brushing program) and that has helped along with his other therapy so hopefully we will se some great changes in his behavior once he's off gluten.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:18:01 AM by healthybratt »

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 06:04:55 PM »
Dara, what's your waffle recipe?  I don't have a waffle maker but it certainly sounds like I need one! ;D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:18:12 AM by healthybratt »

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 03:20:02 PM »
I went to the Bob's Red Mill website and they have a ton of recipes!!  I also called one of the health food stores near here and they sell Bob's Red Mill stuff there.  So I can get the different flours to make the mixture.  I'm excited to try it out.  Tonight I made spaghetti (my son's favorite) with rice pasta and it tasted pretty much the same as regular.  I'll get the books I ordered from the library tommorrow so I'm excited to read through those also.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:18:23 AM by healthybratt »

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 04:13:55 PM »
Hi there abbilynn, I thought I would post the reply to your questions...

My son did not experience withdrawl symptoms coming off gluten. He seemed to realize he felt better. I do think that if you want to know if the diet is going to help him, you should take him off all milk products too, but you can give it a week or two so you can get your new groove before doing the GFCF diet all the way. It's my opinion too, that he should be on it 2-3 months before you decide if it is helping or not. The first time we did it, we did it only 2 weeks, and it wasn't long enough to tell. We just got desperate enough to try it again...

My waffle recipe came out of Betty Crocker, only with GF all purpose flour, but check the Gluten Free Gourmet's recipes. She's an expert. Be aware that Xanthan gum is... gummy. If you add too much, it will make things thick and gummy. That is why I add it to my flour mix, and not to a recipe unless the recipe is GF and calls for it. Oh, and I used GF graham crackers for bread as well, like for PB and J. That recipe is posted under the recipe section of the site too; I got it from the GF Gourmet as well, only I tweeked it a little. I also starting serving more Asian food for dinner, so I could use rice and rice noodles. There are great recipes online. We eat a lot of mexican food too, so that is mostly GF. Your son may or may not be bothered by corn (and corn syrup, which is in "everything" storebought). You should eliminate it at some time to see if that bothers him too, but take your time... Anyway, got to go for now, we're here if you have more questions.   Dara
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:18:33 AM by healthybratt »

Offline servantgirl

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 05:53:29 PM »
The most amazing thing just happened.  I went to the GFCF website and it started talking about how gluten and casein can be like a drug for kids on the autism spectrum.  So, they literally become addicted to mik and wheat products.  It hit me like a rock! .....  I am blown away.  It's like another huge piece of the puzzle has just been revealed.  I could just cry!  (over being happy and sad :-\)  So, I definently think we need to try this diet

Abbilynn, The exact same thing happened to me when my son was 7 and I read the Unraveling the mystery of autism book. I felt exactly like that, a piece of the puzzle suddenly revealed to me. And I was so happy I was ecstatic, yet devastated and angry and confused. It was overpowering! It answered so many questions about a few members of my extended family, but especially my son. I am sooooooooo glad we did the GFCF diet. Don't doubt it, DO IT. I repeat, do it! It  is hard at first but then you get used to it and it is no problem. It doesn't have to be really expensive either. You will never regret it. BTW, the diet in Karyn Seroussi's book is not very nutritious since her son ate so much processed food and barely any vegetables. You can do the diet and do it way more nutritiously.
As to sugar, all refined is out, obviously but fruit is an individual thing. I suggest 2 weeks off all sugar incl. fruits and honey. Then add back in some fruit and see how it goes. Citrus is a common irritant so many can't handle that anyway.
Yeast? Oy! I guess I am still dealing with that, as discussed in my other current topic, my son's genital irritation may be caused by some form of micro-organism. So I don't have the answer for that.
I am so proud of you for finding this out for your son! I know first hand that glorious feeling.
Jen
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:18:44 AM by healthybratt »
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2006, 04:48:27 AM »
Servantgirl,
Thanks for the encouragement.  I am so AMAZED at the things the Lord has revealed through this site and the other links that people have suggested.  I have learned more in the last week than in the last three months!!  I put a post on the GFCF site forum about anyone with a child with SI dysfuntion w/out autism.  I asked if the diet worked for their child even if they didn't have actual autism.  I've had four moms write me already saying how much the diet helped their child!  It has also occured to me that my older son who was diagnosed with apraxia of speech when he was two, tested out of speech at age 5, but still exhibits some major sensory problems (opposite of my other son's symtoms) could be dealing with the same thing!  I remember when he was a baby he would throw up and get severe diarhea for hours if he had ANY milk product.  Then at age 1 he drank regular milk fine so we let him have it.  Now looking back, that's when he started to regress and show abnormalities.  He started saying words before age 1, then just stopped.  At age 2 he wasn't saying anything at all.  We did weekly speech for a year and then he went into the schools speech program.  Now he is 6 1/2 and talks fine but like I said, there are still issues we can't figure out.  With my other son (he's 4) he was an excellent baby, never cried (he was on soy formula).  Then by age two he started doing odd things.  By age three there was a definently problems but everyone told me he was just naughty.  I finally got him evaled at age 3 1/2 by an OT after reading online about sensory integration dysfunction - it described him perfectly!  The OT said he had SID quite severe.  We've done therapy ever since but he's not doing well at all.  Alot of times it seems like it's worse.  Anyway , so sorry to drag on!!  But this is all fitting together now for both of my sons!!!  Like you said, I feel estatic like I can't think about anything else, but also angry the therapist for my older son never even mentioned it could be gluten or casien.  I'm also disgusted with the pediatrician I so trusted.  Thanks so much for sharing your info!!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:18:54 AM by healthybratt »

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 06:45:30 AM »
A lot of doctors just don't know either, and they aren't taught about nutrition in med. school, so they don't see it as significant.

abbilynn asked me about yogurt and/or subsitutions on the GFCF diet.

There may or may not be a yogurt food your boys can have; it depends on their particular sensitivities. Here are the possiblities (that I know about):

Some kids intolerant of cow milk can handle goat milk. Goat milk yogurt is not too hard to make.

Some children can handle soy, and some cannot. I personally think that if a kid is not intolerant of it, it is not a bad thing to have some soy in their diet, if it is from a whole food source, and non GMO, etc... They make soy yogurt, which I give my kids sometimes as a treat (it is expensive!).

Keifer is similar to yogurt, and can be made in fruit juice, lemonade, etc... Check the keifer and kumbocha threads on this forum.

That is all I know of. I would ask on the GFCF forum as well, as to whether sensory kids can usually handle goat milk or soy. They will know from experience. We use goat milk successfully, but our problems are allergies.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:19:05 AM by healthybratt »

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2006, 07:20:11 AM »
What is kefir?  Also, if you have to do the GF AND the CF, what in the world do you feed the kids?  Some things, like rice cakes, are GF but not CF.  Also, if it has "whey" in it (from milk) does that mean it has casien in it also?  We use Smart Balance all the time but it lists whey in the ingredients.  Could you just list a few things you feed you child for lunch or breakfast or snack?  That would be so helpful! ;D 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:19:17 AM by healthybratt »

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 08:53:10 AM »
What to eat?  :-)  Here are the things I do pretty easily.

B'fasts:  homemade pancakes, waffles, gluten free hot cereal, or eggs.  For variety and protein we have sausage or bacon on occassion.  For weekends I make GF bisquits with sausage gravy or hashbrowns.  I use rice milk to replace all dairy.

Lunchs:  rice cakes with p'nut butter and jelly (or use almond butter if p'nut is an issue), GF bread the same, corn and chicken taquitos (resers brand), fish fillets (not the breaded type), GF pastas with sauce, hot dogs, chicken strips (not breaded), chicken, tuna or egg salad sandwiches, fruits and veges,

Suppers:  I try to cook "normal" meals using GF products.  Meat, veges, starch, etc.

Snacks:  homemade cookies and muffins, GF pretzels, corn tortilla chips w/salsa, fruits and veges, rice milk ice cream, on RARE occassions plain potato ships (watch chips and things for dairy or wheat additives)

I know the smart balance has a bit of whey in it, but I think it is minimal and I use so little of it that I don't think it hurts.  Don't slather bread with it.  :-)  In fact, pancakes and muffins and things like that can have jam or honey or some other topping rather than butter.  The rice cakes I get are nothing but whole grain brown rice (quaker salt free).

My boys are still young enough and small enough (mouth wise) that I pretty much do only open face sandwiches - one piece of bread with a fairly thick slathering of whatever I am making.  That saves on bread since the GF stuff is so expensive and is easier for them to eat.  :-)

Personally for at LEAST the first three months or so, I would stay away from kefir and yogurt and all that stuff - just to make sure your boy is completely cleaned up and his gut has time to heal.  Then if you want to try some "good" forms of dairy try them one at a time to see what, if any reaction you get.  The way to do a food challenge is:  the "offending" food with EACH meal for one day.  Then no more of it for five days.  Then each meal again for a day, then off for five days, then each meal again for a day.  This way you can clearly see if there is a reaction.  Sometime it can be immediate, sometime delayed which is why you do it like this.  Sometimes their gut gets healed up so they can tolerate a little bit on occassion, but will get reinflamed if you overload their system again.  It is worth it to take it slow and easy when you start reintroducing foods.  They will not only survive but can thrive on a GFCF diet so don't feel like you are torturing them.  :-)  My DH thinks he is being "nice" to give my boys something they can't have so I have tried to explain to him that if it hurts them inside, it doesn't matter if they like it.  :-) 

Hope this gives you some practical ideas.
Lori
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:19:28 AM by healthybratt »
I aM PERSUADeD

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 11:16:19 AM »
Thought of a couple of other things.  :-)

OreIda frozen potatoes are generally gluten free so their tator tots and french fries are safe.

Also, you can make GF bread crumbs from the crusts of your GF bread to coat chicken/meats/veges with.  You can also crunch tortilla chips to make corn crumbs for the same application.

I promise once you start cooking this way, you will realize not only how easy it can be, but your brain will spin off and you will find new ways to do lots of things.  :-)

And, believe it or not, but I think in some ways it ends up being healthier for all cuz you stay away from convenience, processed and junk foods.  Even though my son's latest round of allergy testing showed a huge improvment in his ability to tolerate GFCF foods, I plan to stick to the diet at home and as best I can away, with the added "relief" of not having to worry if we eat out or at a friend's house.  :-)

Lori
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:19:39 AM by healthybratt »
I aM PERSUADeD

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2006, 11:04:34 AM »
Ditto IM's menu. Also homemade muffins (with GF flour), GF granola (posted here somewhere), anything dippable with corn chips (taco meat, bean dip, hummus...), rice and beans, burritos on corn tortillas, spagetti with GF noodles, stir fried chicken (just chicken browned in GF soy sauce or onion and garlic powder) on rice noodles (with or without stir fried veggies- we still put Dev's veggies [only] through the baby food grinder so he doesn't "choke" on the texture), nut butter on apples, PB balls- GFCF recipe on this site somewhere... we used rice milk before (now goat). I am about to venture into the world of making goat milk cheeses; that will open possiblities for you if your guys can have it... baby carrots...dried fruit...yeah, that's all I can think of at the moment! Later...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:19:49 AM by healthybratt »

Offline 3boysmyjoys

• Adept
  • My Three Boys And My Joy
    • Contenders for the Faith
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2006, 01:51:24 PM »
Ok. I, too, have a litle boy who has a gluten allergy.  He had swollen glands for the longest time, would take very long naps, and always woke up crying.  Someone on here mentioned that it could be a gluten allergy.  I took him off all gluten and within two days his glands had started going down and he actually started waking up happy. :o  This is self-diagnosis but it seems to me that that was the problem.  now I'm reading this thread and I am OVERWHELMED with all the it involves.  What is casien?  Do gluten and casien allergies go hand in hand?  Does that mean that I shouldn't be giving him yogurt or cheese?  Those were two of the things I had fallen back on with him.  He used to have diarrhea almost every time he had a bowel movement, as well.  Now he is actually having normal ones, but at times they are odd colors.  Help me!! I don't know where to start!! ??? :-[
Also, would kefir be a good thing for him?  I mean beneficial?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:19:59 AM by healthybratt »

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2006, 03:25:05 PM »
3boysmyjoys,
Yes, it's likely that if he's allergic to gluten he is allergic to casien also.  They are both proteins, gluten found in wheat and other flours, (barley, rye, oats) and casien found in dairy.  They are very similiar.  When your body does not break down one, it is likely not breaking down the other.  Also, if you take him off them both (it needs to be 100% to see a difference and may take awhile for all change to occur) you may notice that he will have allergies to other foods, possibly corn, soy, etc.  It is all overwhelming.  But so worth the effort!  I'm sure the change you will notice will be significant.  There are alot of resources out there about GFCF diets.  If you google GFCF, you'll get alot of info.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:20:09 AM by healthybratt »

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2006, 03:27:08 PM »
Also, check out the Candida/Yeast thread.  It has some good info.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:20:18 AM by healthybratt »

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2006, 09:14:35 AM »
Anyone know why you cannot have vinegar on a GFCF diet?  Does it have gluten in it or something?  Does that mean they cannot have mustard?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:20:28 AM by healthybratt »

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2006, 10:43:23 AM »
3boys- Just because someone is allergic to gluten does not ness. mean they are allergic to cow milk (casien) as well. They often go together, but certainly not always. If his symptoms seem to have cleared up, and he seems happier, that may have been his only problem. For us it turned out to be an allergy to cow milk and oatmeal only; Devin does well on goat milk and wheat. Every child is different. I think keeping his gut healthy by avoiding homogonized milk would be really good, and yes, keifer is benificial to the GI tract, so it would be good for him too. I personally haven't tried it yet.

As to the vinegar question- some vinegar is made from grains (white), and some from apples (apple cider vin.). GF kids can have AC vinegar, or homemade mustard with ac vinegar, but would probably be bothered by the white vin. made from grain.

Abbilynn, you asked about more menu ideas. I know a lot of celiacs (people with a disease that causes intolerance of gluten) often swear by "meat and potatos". That can be done many ways-  meatloaf and baked potatos, chicken and mashed potatos, burgers (with waffle buns for DS?) and homefries... and hubby always feels pretty good about a meal like that, with some veggies on the side.
Yes, it does seem like it will break the budget at first. Depends on how much you can make from scratch, and I know how overwhelming it is to feel like you spend all day in the kitchen cooking for that one person (and to think he wasn't even grateful! I mean, of course not; here I am telling my 3 yo he can't have his favorite treats, but the lack of gratefulness is wearing!). I developed my own "standbys". Waffles for bread, banana bread, GF granola, etc...
If your DH is reluctant to try it, go ahead and explain that you are doing an experiment. If, after several months, it is not helping, you can stop, and still feel really good that you tried it for your son. The most convincing factor will be any behavior changes you may see in your son. He wants the best for him too. Oh, and if you can afford it, go ahead and buy some mixes and premade GF food to at least have on hand for those "emergencies" when you didn't get the baking done, or you are out and a little unprepared. It saves a lot of stress.
Some of my husband's new favorite meals are naturally GF. Having tried it for Dev, we now all love stir fried chicken and broc. on rice noodles. And cooked seasoned pinto and/or black beans on corn tortillas (with salad and all the mexican fixings- guacamole, salsa, corn chips...) Meatloaf (with leftover cooked rice replacing the oats or breadcrumbs in the recipe) with rice pilaf on the side, etc... Brown rice is incredibly good for you, so you know he's getting a lot of nutrients when he eats it! If he's not used to brown, mix it half and half with white. I still mix mine a lot.
Speaking of rice, I need to go put some on for dinner tonight, mixed half and half with quinoa. (I cook them together, and I mix rices and cook them together too- the white rice doesn't mind being cooked longer for the brown to soften...)  Anway, let us know how the diet is going, and how your little guy is responding to it. I hope he's not giving you a hard time about his old favorite foods. Chin up, you moms with kids on special diets are some of my heros.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:20:39 AM by healthybratt »

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2006, 02:43:31 PM »
The vinegar thing makes sense now.  But I called Plochman's (before I knew about the vinegar) and they said their mustard was gluten free.  Maybe they make it with AC vinegar?  What about Balsamic vinegar?  I think it's made from grapes or something.  My kids had been GF for about five days and I accidentally gave them cereal with gluten in it.  What a nightmare!!  My 4 yr old was a mess for two days, and then woke up this morning and threw up three times.  Then he was okay.  Do you think it could've been detox?  He ate the rest of the day and seemed fine.  Still having withdrawal symptoms though.  Neither of the boys seem to be showing any signs of getting better.  BUT... since they had that cereal and ketchup over the weekend, they've really only been GFCF since yesterday.  So that's probably why.  They seem to be okay with the food, except not being able to have ketchup.  That used to be how I got them to eat meat.  Now, there's not really any sauces they can have.  Any ideas on that one?  I REALLY hope this diet is going to help.  This website has been such a great resource and encouragement to me!!!  You are all fantastic!!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:20:48 AM by healthybratt »

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2006, 11:08:27 PM »
What about Smart Balance?  I read online that someone said it was GFCF, but it lists whey in the ingredients.  Is that different than casien?  (Did I already ask this?  I can't remember. ???)  We started using Soy Garden but dont like the taste as well, and my chiro says soy is terrible for you and especially kids.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:20:57 AM by healthybratt »

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2006, 03:41:50 AM »
Maybe you can take your really specific questions to the GFCF diet forum- I don't know about Plochman's mustard, or smart balance, and I would hate to suggest you can't use something that you really can use. I only did the diet for a few months, so I am not an expert. I hope you can find someone who knows more. Perhaps the other GFCF moms here can help.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:21:10 AM by healthybratt »

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2006, 05:25:07 AM »
Will someone explain to this okie exactly what gluten is?  Is it in ALL flour?  I bought some hodgkins whole wheat flour but it didn't say gluten on the indgredients(I dont' think)but I did see a box of gluten there too.  I made pasta with it and it turned out horrible.  But I made the tortillias with it and it was great.  Why are so many peopel allergic to it?  Is it necessary in the flour? and why do people add it in?  Oh, and they had rye flour and graham flour too, would you bake the same with those as with whole wheat?  I am suspicious that my son might has a wheat allergy(although slight if there is such a thing)but white is bad too so.......I'm at a loss.  We are all doing a "diet" but man, they need something to eat with their food atleast sometimes. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:21:20 AM by healthybratt »