Author Topic: Makeup  (Read 65609 times)

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
Makeup
« on: July 19, 2006, 04:10:54 AM »
Does anyone have any opinions about the mineral makeups that I see advertised.  It looks like it is a natural alternative to regular makeup, but a lady at my work said that one of her friends got toxic from the minerals and had to detox for six months to get well.

I am not sure about whether that is a "fish" story, but I was curious.  I wear makeup every day except Saturday, and that is only because I don't go anywhere really.

I just wear regular stuff....is that bad, or is there a better alternative?  Just looking for some opinions.
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline TwinkleToes

• Adept
Re: Makeup
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 04:35:34 AM »

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 05:15:17 AM »
I found an interesting site where you can search for a particular skin care product, toiletry, and/or cosmetic and have it rated based on its ingredients and possible health concerns. It is called the Environmental Working Group (click here). I have sold cosmetics in the past, but no longer use many products. I got leery about putting so many chemicals on my body that are absorbed through the skin. I do remember that 20 years ago, cosmetic companies were beginning to utilize embryonic cells in some rejuvenating creams and foundations, but I have no documentation on it nor can I remember which companies used the ingredients. I just mention it here so that people can proceed with caution regarding what you place on your skin.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Sunshine06

• Psalm 115
  • Adept
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 06:44:18 AM »
I use regular makeup also, but my mom has recently gotten into a new line of products by Arbonne. (www.arbonne.com) Their products are based on "herbal and botanical principles" and have alot of natural ingredients, also no mineral oil, dyes, etc. They have makeup and skincare products, and other stuff as well. They are like Mary Kay in that you have to buy through a consultant, not in a store, but consultants are easy to find.

HTH!  :)
Non nobis, non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam.
Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto Thy name give glory.

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 06:54:31 AM »
Gotta love Burt's Bees too... I always have.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline MyAudrina

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 03:59:58 PM »
Gotta love Burt's Bees too... I always have.

Tell me more about Burt's Bees.  I recently have been thinking about trying their stuff.  I want to wear makeup but it bothers me too much.  All I can really tolerate is lipstick.  Does it last a long time?  Does it bother your face any to wear it?  Even if it does bother you a little, does it bother you less than other makeup on the market?  I'm thinking of making a trip to the health food store tomorrow to check some out, so any info would be much appreciated!

Offline TwinkleToes

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 04:52:04 PM »
Burt's Bee's....here's what I've tried in the makeup department.  The tinted moisturizer:  I like the concept and I'm sure the ingredients are fine, but the fragrance was more than I like and I found it a little greasy for my skin, but it might be great for another skin type.
The lip shimmers:  I think there's 10-11 shades of which I have 5 and none of them are great colors for me on their own.  Mixing and matching helps, but for me the colors aren't great.(But I haven't tried them all -- there might be a perfect one out there.  The ones I have are either too metalic looking or too dark)  They are nice and minty though and someone else might love them.  I doubt they're the all day variety of lip color, but I don't lay it on too thick.  I think ultimately it's going to boil down to your skin type and color and personal preferences(like how light or dark you like to wear makeup)

Offline Inspiring the Wellness In You!

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 11:21:49 AM »
I have recently started using Arbonne's color line since it uses no color dyes and no mineral oil (no petroleum by-products).  I have had much success with it.  The products go a long way.  Please fee free to contact me for more infomation.  I now sell Arbonne Products as well.  I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

email: carmenvidal@myarbonne.com
web: www.carmenvidal.myarbonne.com

Offline Coco79

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 04:46:25 PM »
Hi all,
I'm looking for a natural or low chemical mascara and liquid eye liner. Does anyone have any suggestions where i can look?

Thanks
Coco

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 05:04:18 PM »
I have to second the Arbonne.  My skin is so sensitive that I've never been able to wear any make up until now.  I signed up to sell just to get the discount.  There are only plant derived products in the skincare, and no fragrances (unless it is scented lotions, but they are clearly labeled).  Whenever I wore any other eyeliner or especially mascara, my eyes would water like crazy because of the fragrance.  There isn't anything by arbonne (except the adult shampoo) that I don't like.  I use their ABC line on my kids, and swear by their diaper cream.  My husband also uses their mens line of shaving and face wash stuff.  I recommend it.

I also like Burts Bees lipsticks because they are slightly pepperminty.  YUM!
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 05:06:26 PM »
Hey Coco79
Try www.littlestuff4u.com   It is a site that sells mineral makeup which I really like.  I have such a hard time with mascara because it all makes my eyes itch and water.  I have used the mineral mascara and not had any trouble.   Have been using minerals for almost 2 years and really like it.  It is actually good for your face.  Made of minerals and does not absorb into the skin but you buff in onto your skin.  Looks really natural.
Just my opinion.
I also second the Arbonne info.   I use it too and really like how my skin feels.  With that and the mineral makeup I feel like I look the best I can.
Daisey
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline Coco79

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 05:08:13 PM »
thanks so much...does bare essentials or arbonne carry eyeliner?

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 05:21:02 PM »
Arbonne has eyeliner.  And the baby in your photo is ADORABLE!!!  :-*

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 05:21:16 PM »
Has anybody attended an Arbonne presentation?  I went to one and became a believer.  According to my friend and Arbonne rep, MOST other cosmetic companies, from low-end-Wal-Mart brands to high-end department store brands, get their 'stuff' from the SAME chemical companies, and those other brands contain everything from petroleum byproducts to ROADKILL from 'rendering plants.'  I have no idea if this is true, and I hope I'm not breaking the rules by saying something so negative, but I did hear it straight from an Arbonne rep's mouth.  I once knew a girl who worked at the Mary Kay offices in Dallas, and she confirmed that the different companies' products ARE the same 'stuff' from the same plants. Mary Kay and Arbonne excluded, of course.  Its worth researching, since what you put on your skin is absorbed into your body!  Since I put this out there, I'll try to find out where she got her info.

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 06:30:01 PM »
Arbonne is not all natural. It has some natural ingredients but does contain parabens. A girl at work bought a kit of skincare items, she showed me the ingredients and parabens were on the list.

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 06:32:37 PM »
The other thing I don't like is that it is hard to get a complete list of ingredients without buying the product.

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 06:36:43 PM »
What are parabens?

Offline Carey

• Learning
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2007, 04:55:07 AM »
What are parabens?

"Parabens" are a general name for any of the preservatives used in make up and skin care. They are any of the ingredients you see with the word paraben in it such as methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, and others,

You should avoid these because they are finding "parabens" in breast cancer tumors, and parabens act as xenoestrogens once absorbed. I had to start avoiding them when I was diagnosed with endometriosis. Now that I use all natural skin care and make up I have been pain free.

Carey

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2007, 09:02:12 AM »
What kind of skin care do you use that doesn't have parabens? 

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2007, 11:16:31 AM »
Hi girls
I do use Arbonne but I also know that it has the parabens which I don't really like but I really like how it works on wrinkles.    ;)   Guess that is my vanity.    :-X
Anyway,   the site where I get my mineral makeup used to sell skin care by Sevi.  It is very natural and didn't have any of the bad stuff in it.   Sandra's Little Stuff had to stop selling it because the shipping time was so slow but I wonder if you bought directly from the company it might be faster.   Do a google search on Sevi I think you will be able to find it.    Otherwise check out www.littlestuff4u.com   she does have some skin care products and she is very aware of the bad stuff and tries to stay away from anything that isn't good for the skin.
Good luck
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2007, 11:36:19 AM »
I wash with honey. It cleans out my pores without drying my skin. I moisturize with emu oil. I buy mine from www.gardenofwisdom.com Neither of those contain parabens.  8) Emu oil has fabulous anti-wrinkle anti-aging properties.

Before I used the above, I used skincare from http://www.mychelleusa.com/
No parabens, SLS, artificial fragrance, mineral oil, petroleum products etc. Very nice line but a bit more expensive than what  I want to use.

www.monave.com also has natural skincare

Offline keltlyn

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2007, 11:53:21 AM »
I wash with honey. It cleans out my pores without drying my skin. I moisturize with emu oil. I buy mine from www.gardenofwisdom.com Neither of those contain parabens.  8) Emu oil has fabulous anti-wrinkle anti-aging properties.

Before I used the above, I used skincare from http://www.mychelleusa.com/
No parabens, SLS, artificial fragrance, mineral oil, petroleum products etc. Very nice line but a bit more expensive than what  I want to use.

www.monave.com also has natural skincare

Do you warm the honey before using it? Also, do you use it every day? I am currently using Mychelle, and I agree...SO expensive! I have found it quite a bit cheaper on ebay, but still! I'm very interested in the honey & emu oil. How much of each do you typically use?

Thanks!

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2007, 02:18:16 PM »
I splash my face with water and then put about a half teaspoon or less of honey in the palm of my hand and then spread it onto my face. Sometimes I wash it off right away and sometimes I leave it for a few minutes. You can wash off with just water or use a washcloth or microfiber cloth. It is the best cleanser I have ever found. Anything with sulfates makes my skin itch and flake.

I splash my face with water again so there is moisture under the emu oil and then apply about one drop of emu oil. Or I apply  a vitamin C serum that I make under the emu oil. The EO makes anything underneath it penetrate better.

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2007, 02:21:02 PM »
Here is a link to a whole thread on washing with honey. Now a lot of them also use baking soda as a scrub but that didn't work for my face.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=541639

Yes, I use the honey and emu oil every day.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 02:50:39 PM by prairiechild »

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2007, 05:06:26 PM »
Hey prairiechild, do you remember which line she brought you?  Or what color it was?  Was it the Nutrimin-C anti-aging (bright orange) or the Clear Advantage (silver) or another one?  Just curious. 

I still use their hand wash and hand lotion and husband still uses their mens line.  But I don't want any of my boys (or myself) being exposed to the parabens.  Hope it isn't in the children's-- I'm going to go and look at them now.  I didn't know about them!  I'll ask my distributor for sure.

Also, for complete lists of ingredients, ask your arbonne distributor.  She will be signed up for her own access to arbonne.com and she can see them.  I did Arbonne University to learn more, but I never had any parties or sold it, so I know some, but not too much.

burlsgirl

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2007, 05:25:51 PM »
I've been using Bare Minerals for about a year and a half now and I just love it. It looks so natural and I'm always getting comments on how I wear makeup without looking like I wear makeup, if you kwim. Also, it keeps my skin clear b/c it doesn't soak in. I like that I can buff on the foundation, then take the cheek color and buff it on cheeks and eyelids with a quick swipe across forehead and down my nose. Eyeliner on my top lid with a bit of mascara and some lip gloss, and I'm all "made up". Takes almost no time and really looks good.

HTH,
Emily

Offline oneblessedwoman

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2007, 05:48:17 PM »
I have thought of trying bare minerals.  It looks really good.  It is nice to hear from someone that it really works

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2007, 05:53:07 PM »
I saw an advertisement that the cosmetic company Jane is coming out with mineral makeups.  Does anyone know if this sort would be safe?
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Asthedeer1

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
I love Bare minerals/escentuals as well!  I know there are quite a few different mineral make up companies out there but this is the only one I have tried.  It looks natural, is not greasy, and does not dry your face.  Use the skin rever upper! 

Rebecca :)

Offline keltlyn

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 08:25:53 AM »
Here is a link to a whole thread on washing with honey. Now a lot of them also use baking soda as a scrub but that didn't work for my face.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=541639

Yes, I use the honey and emu oil every day.

Thank you for all the information on this! I read through some of the posts on the mothering website as well. I tried the honey last night! I do wear a bit of blush & mascara, so I washed that off with my Mychelle cleanser, and then I used the honey. I have been a bit itchy on my chin since, but I do have some strange rosacea or something there (got it when I was pregnant with dd#2). That area was rather dry this morning, but I"m wondering if the honey might be helping to clear that up? I plan on trying it again tonight. We'll see!

Again...thanks for all your help!