Author Topic: Makeup  (Read 63595 times)

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
Re: Makeup
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2007, 06:03:57 AM »
Hey, does anyone know if mineral makeup causes you to absorb the minerals through your skin. I mean, you absorb the chemicals from regular makeup, so I figured that you may absorb a lot of minerals from mineral makeup. Would this have any negative effects on you as far as absorbing too many minerals???
I was reading what some dermatologist was saying about mineral makeup and he said the minerals sit on top of the skin unlike regular makeup that is absorbed.   I can't remember where I was reading this but if I run across the site again I will post it.   
Most of the minerals that are in mineral makeup would be good for your skin I think.   They are natural not synthetic.   Just my opinion though.  I think we really need to be careful where we buy our mineral makeup because some of these main stream companies but other stuff in and they don't have to be very specific about labeling.   Be sure to check out the ingredients carefully.
HTH
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline JeffAngie

• Adept
    • Our Joyful Living
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2008, 06:47:47 PM »
Want to try Mineral Makeup but don't know if it is for you?
I just came upon this link.  You can get a starter kit for FREE, you just need to pay the shipping.  I think it is $2.50.
They even have natural foundation colors.
Check it out
http://www.ktnaturals.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=102

Angie

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2008, 08:49:36 AM »
I just wanted everyone to know that if you are using or interested in mineral makeup from littlestuff4you.com, Sandra will give members of the WellTellMe board a 10% discount.  This is good until August of '08.  You need to type in the code: WellTellMe at checkout.  Enjoy.

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2008, 04:02:11 PM »
I have only put on make up a few times. I am kinda wanting to get some but have no idea what I would need as far as well I know I would need mascara, foundation,blush? Lip stick or balm?

I feel clueless. :D

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2008, 04:18:13 PM »
I can't live without the following:
foundation (to cover uneven spots and blemishes, not heavy all over)
powder (I shine)
blush
eyeliner
mascara
lipstick

But if I was starting out, I would probably only do blush, mascara and lipgloss.  Then add as you go and feel comfortable.  It's usually obvious and sometimes funny looking when a woman all of a sudden starts out with LOTS of powder and paint!

Go to a department store and visit one of the nice makeup counters.  Ask if you can try a few things - they'll probably do a makeover.  Then you can buy or not.  Or find a friend who does Mary Kay or Avon and ask for a makeover and see what you like.

Fun fun fun!  Let us know how it goes, Em!

Offline braydensmama

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2008, 04:20:31 PM »
I think that what you "need" as far as make up kind of depends on your age. :) For instance, if you have young glowing skin...you don't really need foundation. I think that the basics ...as far as quick and easy and not too much...are blush, one eyeshadow that is a neutral, a mascara and a lip balm or gloss. I actually line my lips and then put just a touch of balm or gloss and it gives more of a "dewy" look then super shiny. Anyways...I love doing make up. I started doing it when I was about 5 because my mom was an avon woman and as I've gotten older I've had people tell me that they didn't even realize that I wore make up because it looks natural. Let me tell you...I DO wear it, almost every single day.
You can read more about my family at www.corleyz.blogspot.com

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2008, 04:22:15 PM »
Thanks CC, Now how do you know and choose the shade? Should the lip gloss match the blush? :D OK writing that sounds funny!  I have almost white white skin. I am wanting mineral make up but if I only do these 3 items is it worth it?

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2008, 04:33:37 PM »
Thanks CC, Now how do you know and choose the shade? Should the lip gloss match the blush? :D OK writing that sounds funny!  I have almost white white skin. I am wanting mineral make up but if I only do these 3 items is it worth it?
I wouldn't say match, but more coordinate with... as far as blush/lip gloss/stick is concerned...

I don't like things to matchy-matchy, but they should be in the same color family...
I've worn a full face of makeup since I was 13 years old, and thinking back along with what I know now, this would be my priorities...
does my skin look the best it can without makeup??  I prefer, especially as I get older, to focus on having the best skin possible, and will pay for this over color cosmetics (think skin care)

What do you like about your face that you want to stand out?  I personally can't live without eyeliner and mascara, but I have small eyes that I feel need that extra boost...
I also like a little lip gloss/stick no matter what... lipstick just makes me feel happy...

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2008, 05:30:09 PM »
Thanks Mrs B.  Now what kind of make up is a good price and good for my skin? ::)

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2008, 05:55:17 PM »
I would recommend Mary Kay makeup.  (Yes, I'm a consultant, but I'm not trying to sell it much currently.  I love it for myself and my daughter.)  If you find a consultant near you, she will give you a complete makeover.  If she's doing what she's supposed to do, she will teach you about makeup.  Should you choose not to purchase anything, you will still walk away with some good basic knowledge that you could use to purchase other makeup.

That being said, I love MK brand for many reasons.  It is not cheap, but it is quality stuff and lasts forever.  I was using Cover Girl foundation, but even I could tell the difference when I tried MK.  (I'm not much on over- primping for myself; I want to look my natural best, personally.)  Anyways, MK is quality, and they have so many choices to choose from.  It's nice to have someone help pick the colors that suit you; your consultant should take the time to listen to what you want out of makeup; she should never pressure you to purchase what you don't want.  And MK is always a 100% moneyback guarantee; if you get 3/4 of the way through your makeup and decide you've never liked it, you can return it to your consultant for an exchange or complete refund.

I don't use the whole ball of wax myself.  I use foundation, blush, 1 eye color, and mascara.  (I'm over 40, and it's nice to have help evening out my skin!)  Anyways, I just want to look neat.  My goal with makeup is to use the minimal amount I can, look fairly natural, just minimizing the major spots I want to hide.

Anyways, if you would want to try a no-pressure (it should be no-pressure) makeover, you can go to www.marykay.com to find a consultant in your area.  At least that way you learn a little about skincare and your skin type and makeup, personalized just for you, for free!  And they can come to your house, so you don't necessarily have to find childcare!

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2008, 06:22:33 PM »
I recently found mineral makeup at a local store. I really like it. It came as a kit with all of the brushes. I haven't been wearing make-up long and don't wear it often, mostly just if I am going somewhere and even then not always.  I do eye makeup (rarely mascara as it bugs me to have something on my lashes) and a little blush. I was looking at pics of myself and was discouraged by the fact that there was nothing to draw attention to my eyes. I have rather small eyes and nothing special for lashes.......... My mouth always seemed to be the focal point of my face and I wanted to change that so I chose my make-up based on what I wanted to emphasize. I have used Mary Kay but had a bad experience with the rep (she wouldn't leave me alone, seemed to always be calling me bugging me to host parties, buy more product, give her names and addresses of people so she could mail them stuff, etc......) so didn't want to go that route anymore. Knowing how important skin is I wanted to go with mineral makeup and I have been very pleased. I think that it helps that i found a kit. The brand is fresh minerals and they have a website. http://www.freshmineralsusa.com/

Whew! Didn't mean to be so long winded. :-[ Sorry!
Hope some of that is helpful...........

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2008, 01:33:30 AM »
I don't use just one brand....
I would spend most of my money on skin products and foundation as they are where you will see the most bang for your buck.
I do use Bare Minerals... works for me, but I also like the Clinique brand foundation... their Superfit one has a shade that matches my face exactly.

I also like the other clinique products for eyes and cheeks.
I've just started using some Mary Kay, and I really like what I've used so far... mainly lip stick and lip gloss... they are slick without the sticky feeling that some have, and the color really seems to last.
I guess I do prefer "mall" products over "drug store" products mainly because even though they are higher priced .... I find I don't waste the money by having to try it on at home and then see if I like it.. and I know that it can be returned, but that just goes against my nature somehow....
I also have an addiction to eyemake up... I like the Clinique eyeliners and eyeshadow, and generally use Lancome mascara... pricey, but the best.

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2008, 03:16:28 AM »
In case you ladies haven't seen my post about my Arbonne show (it'll be open till Mon. or Tues.) Arbonne has mineral makeup and great skin care products.  Because of the special right now, you could get enough makeup to last you quite a while, and look at it like you're getting it half off, making it comparable in price to some of the more expensive Walmart brands.  Or, you could split up the $100 purchase with a friend or mom/sister, and then each get $50 worth free products of your choice.  My main thing to get from this show is the makeup, as I've been wanting to change to mineral makeup for awhile.  They also have a new mascara made specifically for ladies who wear contacts.  Click on the link in my signature if you're interested in finding out more!
Thanks!
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2008, 10:57:26 AM »
Schedule an appt w/Merle Norman and have your colors done.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2008, 04:49:34 PM »
I would suggest first of all thinking about what you want to put on your face.  If you don't care whether it is all natural ingredients and good for your skin then you have many options.  If you want to stick to things that don't have parabens, SLS, petroleum products etc then you need to do some research.  That would rule out a couple of the most recent suggestions.   
I get the idea you are young so it would be good to go as natural as you can.  You probably could get by without foundation and just use a little blush, maybe eye shadow and mascara.  I always thing natural looks best and young skin usually has a nice healthy glow unless you have skin issues. 
Be careful what you put on your skin. 

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
  • Big sister to Wind_Dancer
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2008, 08:24:56 AM »
I was looking for hairstyling ideas on the web when I came across this link. I know what makeup looks I like but not always how to get them, so I think this webpage will become one of my favorites... Arwen's Makeup Chart

Sign the petition and say no to abortion!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2008, 12:25:49 PM »
Cosmetics: An industry of death
Based on the presence of dioxane in common ingredients of a wide array of products that the cosmetics industry uses, an EWG analysis of government and industry sources shows that at least 146 cosmetic ingredients may contain harmful impurities linked to systematic cancer and other serious health impacts.

A 2004 online survey found that 20% of people who use cosmetics and personal care products every day are potentially exposed to all of the top seven carcinogenic impurities -- hydroquinone, ethylene dioxide, 1,4-dioxane, formaldehyde, nitrosamines, PAHs, and acrylamide.

All of these chemicals are common in personal care products, yet none are restricted by government safety standards. In other words, it's perfectly legal for cosmetic companies to poison the population with known cancer-causing chemicals, all with the nod of approval from the FDA.

Of the potential contaminants in cosmetic products, hydroquinone was ranked the leader in impurities, as it is often found in products used daily by 94% of women and 69% of men. This chemical is currently under review by the FDA.

Cancer-causing chemicals in "organic" and "natural" products
What these recent findings by the Organic Consumers Association reveal, however, is that 1,4-Dioxane is not only found in conventional consumer care products; it's also found in so-called "natural" or "organic" products. Even the Whole Foods 365 brand was found to be contaminated with 1,4-Dioxane, along with the Jason brand, Kiss My Face and many others.

This, says Cummins, is a great disservice to the natural products industry and the consumers who support the industry. When consumers shop for "natural" or "organic" products, they pay a premium, and they expect those products to be free of cancer-causing chemical contaminants like 1,4-Dioxane.

These findings underscore the importance of researching the companies and products you're buying, even if they claim to be "organic" or "natural."

How to tell if they're safe
How can consumers tell if products are truly free from 1,4-Dioxane? As David Steinman noted in the press conference, all the products tested that carried the USDA Organic seal of approval were found to be free from 1,4-Dioxane. So looking for the USDA certified organic seal is currently the best way to protect yourself from this cancer-causing chemical.

Also, the OCA has urged consumers to read ingredients labels, and avoid all consumer care products made with the following ingredients (or words in the ingredients):

• Myreth
• Oleth
• Laureth
• Cateareth (or other "eth")
• PEG
• Polyethylene
• Polethylene Glycol
• Polyoxyethylene
• Oxynol

Read more from the OCA at www.OrganicConsumers.org

Zero safety testing required for cosmetic ingredients
The FDA currently does not require safety testing of cosmetic products or their ingredients. The cosmetic industry polices the safety of its own products, and this safety panel is run and funded by the industry's trade association. In other words, very little testing actually occurs because the government does not mandate this testing, and potentially hazardous ingredients can slip through the cracks. There is also no financial incentive for the cosmetic industry to raise questions about the safety of its own products.

http://www.naturalnews.com/022846.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2008, 02:25:59 PM »
Thanks for all that research HB.  Lots of really good info.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2008, 03:12:34 PM »
Thanks for all that research HB.  Lots of really good info.
Just something that turned up.  A friend sent it to me.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2008, 05:04:10 AM »
I'm looking into getting Bare minerals...is that a safe brand does anyone know...their web site says
It's what's NOT in bareMinerals that's important. 100% pure bareMinerals is free of preservatives, talc, oils, fragrances and other potential skin irritants. bareMinerals foundation is made of only five ingredients:

* Titanium Dioxide
    * Zinc Oxide
    * Mica
    * Iron Oxide
    * Bismuth Oxychloride

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2008, 05:13:10 AM »
Is that bare essentials? If it is, then yes, it is reasonably safe, though they have a finishing powder that had parabens in it, at least back when I used it. I tried their foundation and didn't get the best color match. There are other mineral makeup brands that I like better as they are cheaper, I got a better match, you can easily buy samples and I thought they look better.

My favorites... lumiere, (though their site is down for a bit)... http://www.lumierecosmetics.com/

I also like bare faced minerals... http://www.barefacedminerals.com/

and pure luxe... http://www.pureluxecosmetics.com/

I have heard good reviews of this company... http://www.coconutbaycosmetics.com/shop/Foundation/c4/index.html

they have very inexpensive foundation and refills.

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2008, 05:19:31 AM »
I'm looking into getting Bare minerals...is that a safe brand does anyone know...their web site says
It's what's NOT in bareMinerals that's important. 100% pure bareMinerals is free of preservatives, talc, oils, fragrances and other potential skin irritants. bareMinerals foundation is made of only five ingredients:

* Titanium Dioxide
    * Zinc Oxide
    * Mica
    * Iron Oxide
    * Bismuth Oxychloride

That brand is discussed on another thread...I think the one on mineral makeup...I'll try to find the thread and post.

I personally use Bare Minerals and love it!  It's much less expensive than most, customer service is great and it's just a great product.  I have used Bare Esscentuals and didn't love them and they have some not so good stuff in them.  Although all the brushes I have tried 'shed' on me, I like the kabuki from Bare Minerals the best.  I think it's great stuff!

Here's the other thread...
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,913.0.html

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2008, 05:46:42 PM »
I would not recommend Bare minerals......The bismuth oxychloride has been known to cause irritation in a lot of people.   I started with that brand and switched very quickly because it made my skin itch, it is way more expensive than other brands and it didn't stay on my face as well as others.   Check out the thread on mineral makeup for recommendations on other brands.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2008, 05:47:57 PM »
I thought Bare Esentuals and Bare Minerals were the same company? I am confused any ideas for me...that link was great btw...thank you. any further explanation of the BE/BM would be awesome! Thanks!

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2008, 06:26:04 PM »
I thought Bare Esentuals and Bare Minerals were the same company? I am confused any ideas for me...that link was great btw...thank you. any further explanation of the BE/BM would be awesome! Thanks!
My understanding is that Bare Escentuals is the company that  makes several mineral products with their 'foundation' product being specificially called Bare Minerals.  Their finishing powder is Mineral Veil.
This is the one with stores in malls and stand-alones, on QVC, on infomercials and in Sephora and Ulta.
T, I don't know which one you mean, but I'm sure you'll clarify.
I know that most people here aren't really impressed with the BE/BM products due to the additions, but I'm not a sensitive person and I've used their products for years on a daily basis and don't plan on switching anytime soon...

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2008, 03:07:21 AM »
Sorry for the confusion...I always get the names confused as they are so similar!  I use Mineral Basics found here...http://mineralbasics.com/

I keep saying the wrong name so I guess I need some ginkgo...must be a thread for that here somewhere... ::)

Offline Lovin'myHoneyinVT

• Adept
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2008, 06:51:24 AM »

* Titanium Dioxide
    * Zinc Oxide
    * Mica
    * Iron Oxide
    * Bismuth Oxychloride

That brand is discussed on another thread...I think the one on mineral makeup...I'll try to find the thread and post.

I personally use Bare Minerals (mineral basics) and love it!  It's much less expensive than most, customer service is great and it's just a great product.  I have used Bare Esscentuals and didn't love them and they have some not so good stuff in them.  Although all the brushes I have tried 'shed' on me, I like the kabuki from Bare Minerals the best.  I think it's great stuff!

Here's the other thread...
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,913.0.html
Thank you for your input!  I checked them out and the minerals do not irritate my rosacea!  The samples were great as I found that none of them were the right colors and I didn't have to spend anything but shipping to try them.  I did like their feel and they were close enough that I could use them but I will try a few others to get he right color.
Thanks again! Lovin'

Offline doggymom22

• Master
  • An Arabian horse "watercolor" I did on the 'puter.
    • www.sonicbids.com/Patrick3
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2009, 02:56:27 PM »
I've been using Maybelline's mineral foundatio/powder...does anyone know of anything really awful about that line that I should know about? I just want to make double sure...;)

~Edith
"A dog wags its tail with its heart"-MB
"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does"-CM
"Even the tiniest poodle or Chihuahua is still a wolf at heart" -DHP

Offline marmiemama

• Adept
    • www.lovethelordandknityoursocks.blogspot.com
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2009, 04:02:03 PM »
Just a little info. about ingredients for mineral makeup...
Many, including some of the more expensive lines like bareminerals, contain an ingredient called bismuth.  This can sometimes cause itchiness, redness, or even cysts.  And many drug store brands only contain small amounts of minerals and sort of tag along with pure mineral makeup company's benefits.  That's not to say that bismuth won't be perfectly fine for you or that you can't enjoy a drug store's brand!  Just some facts to stay informed!
Blessings!
Lisa
"Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."  Phil. 4:6-7
www.lovethelordandknityoursocks.blogspot.com

Offline doggymom22

• Master
  • An Arabian horse "watercolor" I did on the 'puter.
    • www.sonicbids.com/Patrick3
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2009, 03:06:30 AM »
Just a little info. about ingredients for mineral makeup...
Many, including some of the more expensive lines like bareminerals, contain an ingredient called bismuth.  This can sometimes cause itchiness, redness, or even cysts.  And many drug store brands only contain small amounts of minerals and sort of tag along with pure mineral makeup company's benefits.  That's not to say that bismuth won't be perfectly fine for you or that you can't enjoy a drug store's brand!  Just some facts to stay informed!
Blessings!
Lisa
    Thank you! :)

"A dog wags its tail with its heart"-MB
"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does"-CM
"Even the tiniest poodle or Chihuahua is still a wolf at heart" -DHP