Author Topic: Baby Carrier/Sling Recommendations  (Read 49579 times)

Offline BlessedInBg

• Learning
Re: Baby Carrier/Sling Recommendations
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2007, 10:58:47 PM »
Found this and thought it may be helpful to someone.
http://www.mammasmilk.com/pages/makeyourown.phpWR

Thanks WR! This is really a great site that gives you a chance to see some of the baby slings that are on the market.
With my first baby I had a sling SIMILAR to the ERGO one- but not as good at it. (Back then the slings were more simpler and I had less models to choose from.) I had problems wearing my sling- after even a short walk my back would hurt badly.
Last year I was trying to figure out which type of sling I would like to have and  was going to buy it because I was pressed by time and thought it would take me ages to make one myself. Not at all! I decided to give Maya Wrap a try.  I got the fabric, two rings, my sewing machine and finished the whole thing within some hours while the baby was sleeping. You should keep in mind that I am not a seamstress at all.  ;D I just love my sling and I still use it - even though my "baby" is 16 mo. old now. My back feels much better- sling gives it better support. Here's a picture of a Maya Wrap one similar to what I have.
http://www.mayawrap.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=100001&UnitCde=1&Desc=Original%20Maya%20Wrap%20Sling&VendorDesc=&Search=N#

To those of you that still look for a sling: http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/ There's a photo gallery and a forum with lots of pictures and opinions about the different models.
Hope that helps!

Offline healyhome

• Learning
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2007, 08:12:44 AM »
  We broke down & bought an Ergo (after all the great reviews!) and I have to say- I really enjoy it & baby is so happy in it. I could see how with small babies/newborns, it could be a little challenging. 
  We went hiking, camping, etc for my brothers wedding a few weeks ago & my back didn't get sore & our 8 mo. old, 22 lb. boy lived in it. Thanks for the great information!

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2007, 10:48:42 AM »
Have any of you have made a sling using a calico type material? Would that hold up? The fabric i am looking at is a little sturdier than a standars calico. Both are 100% cotton but the thread count is slightly different, judging from the feel.

thanks for your input, Sandra
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2007, 02:54:52 PM »
My favorite sling was one I made with a $1 fabric from WalMart and it was a light gauzy material. It held up well, and folded up so small for the diaper bag. I got tons of complements on it. I'm sure yours would be fine.

Offline BlessedWith4

• ~Blessings~
  • Adept
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2007, 03:11:37 AM »
I love to wear my baby! It's neat, too, because when I go places wearing Gianna, I get stopped left and right. So other people like to see parents wearing their babies!

What we use around here is the Peanut Shell. It's a pouch style sling, and it is super easy to use! No buckles, straps...or anything tricky. It's just one piece of fabric in the shape of a circle that you slip over one shoulder and pop the baby in. :) I used to carry Nolan around in it up until a week before giving birth to Gianna. So I had my big baby belly out front, and Nolan on my back in the Peanut Shell!

Oh yeah, and you gotta love all the really awesome patterns you can get this thing in!

Check out their site at:
http://www.goo-ga.com/

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2007, 04:27:16 AM »
I've tried slings several times with no success.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong but the baby always ends up twisting up or seeming smooshed.  The baby always hates it.
I love my Ergo, though.  (have I mentioned that already? ;D)

Offline Ruby

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2007, 04:01:57 AM »
This is for anyone who has an Ergo.  What color do you have & how has it held up on fading & wear & tear.  I love the Indigo & Cranberry, but thought they might show spit-up more or show fading more than the the Camel.  Please let me know how your have held up.  Thanks!

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2007, 04:19:38 AM »
This is for anyone who has an Ergo.  What color do you have & how has it held up on fading & wear & tear.  I love the Indigo & Cranberry, but thought they might show spit-up more or show fading more than the the Camel.  Please let me know how your have held up.  Thanks!

I have had the Indigo for several months and it has faded. But, I think that has to do with it being in the car, in the sun.  :D Anyway, I still like the color. That is the only thing that looks "used". My son was a MAJOR spitter and it didn't show too much. My experience is that the lighter colors of things don't show the spit as much when it happens but the miscoloring is more permanent. Where as the darker colors show majorly when the spit happens but the stains don't show.
Jessica

Offline Ruby

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2007, 04:43:50 AM »
I was planning to keep it in the car also, so maybe I should go for the camel.  I do love those bright colors though.  Did you use the infant insert?  My baby is 3 months old, and I'm torn wether to buy the insert with it or just wait till she's a little older to buy the Ergo without the insert.   It may take me that long to decide on the color.   :)

Offline mhsmama4

• Adept
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2007, 07:47:13 AM »
I have an Ergo, purchased last year for my little one, and it is in camel, simply because I thought it would be more "neutral".  (DH uses is too.)  We love it.  I did also buy the infant insert since I bought the Ergo when she was about 2 or 3 months, but it was a tight squeeze getting her into it by the time I bought it so we never used it.  Hopefully we will get to with this next little one, though.

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2007, 08:13:24 AM »
My SIL just folds a blanket around her little one and uses like the insert. That is what we plan on trying the next time around. My son was 7 mos. old when we got the carrier. I used a borrowed sling when he was little. I prefer the Ergo. My husband loves to use it. I didn't think he would like it but he takes Jonah out in the garden in the carrier. I have people stop me all the time and ask where I bought the carrier. It is a tough choice. I had a hard time deciding if I wanted the critters or the seersucker.
Jessica
PS~
I went with the critters...:)

Offline healthnut

• Adept
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2007, 10:18:32 AM »
For all the Ergo users:

How is your 2-3 month baby's body positioned while using the Infant insert? I am looking  at the location of baby's hips/bum and shoulders/head.

I have watched the dvd several times but can't seem to get it comfortable, or if I do I can't replicate what I did the next time around.

It very well could be the fact that I am short and my son is big. I am pretty sure it will be fine once he is strong enough to go without the insert but I want to use it more right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated--even just ideas on what to do differently!
Thanks  ;)

Offline Ruby

• Adept
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2007, 10:51:06 AM »
I was also wondering how you use the insert.  All the pictures show the baby somewhat reclining.  My baby hates to lie down when I'm carrying her so I wasn't sure if she'd go for the infant insert anyway.

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2007, 05:30:58 PM »

My favorite is the camel.  Though it's light in color, it seems to wash just fine and matches EVERYTHING I have.  They just came out with sucking pads:

ERGO baby is pleased to announce our newest product ~ Sucking Pads.  The ERGObaby Sucking Pad was created as a result of parents remarking how great it would be to have something other than the shoulder straps for baby to suck on when teething.  We also noticed, while working with babies, that they indeed like to suck on the straps. Our answer is this pad, available in either Mocha or Cream color.  The pads attach around the shoulder straps with Velcro, are 100% cotton terry cloth and are reversible, too. With the use of the Sucking Pads, the carrier will require less frequent washings, this will save wear and tear on the 100% cotton baby carrier.
  Retail $12.

Charity for the Callis Family
»§«:*´`³¤³´`*:»«:*´`³¤³´`*:»§«:*´`³¤³´`*:»«:*´`³¤³´`*:»§«

Brian, Charity
Jimella, Eden, Philip, David, Mark, Abigail,
Meorah, Merry, Titus & Hope CALLIS
www.TheHomeGrownFamily.com
Coconut/Palm Oil | ERGO baby carriers | Grain Mills | BOSCH | Natural Products
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2007, 01:57:36 AM »
I was also wondering how you use the insert.  All the pictures show the baby somewhat reclining.  My baby hates to lie down when I'm carrying her so I wasn't sure if she'd go for the infant insert anyway.

I absolutely LOVED the infant insert.  I layed it down flat, and layed my daighter on top, right down the middle.  I layed her with her head going over the top a bit, so the cushioned edge was closer to the edge.  I lifted the two sides and picked her up.  Taco style, she was the filling, and the insert was the tortilla  ;).   ;)I held her up against my chest, head towards the right, slightly elevated, and feet towards the right.

Oh, I did this after I already had the Ergo buckled around my waist.  Then I would lift up the Ergo around her and buckle it.  The strap on the left would go under her head, and the one on the right would go over her feet.

She loved it, and using this method, I didn't have to try to stick her in. I could get her in and out without waking her up. 

I am going to sell my infant insert.  It is camel color, so very nuteral.  I am wanting $20, and will be putting it in Ebay in a few days if none of you guys want it.  PM me if interest.  I used it 1-2 times a week for about 6 weeks.

Offline Ruby

• Adept
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2007, 12:50:10 PM »
Anyone also have the Ergo backpack or other accessories?  If so, how do you like them?  We're going to be taking a trip soon, and I'm trying to decide on the front pouch or maybe the backpack before ordering the carrier.  Thanks!

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2007, 01:11:35 PM »
My FAVORITE accessory is the FRONT POUCH.  Instead of a purse, I can attach this to the Ergo and have more items than what the zippered front pouch carries.  I currently have my credit cards, chapstick, checkbook, bus. cards, a couple pens and change.  If I needed to, I could slip a sandwich sized ziplock with some wipes and a folded diaper!

Have you considered just RENT AN ERGO for $5/Day?

Regards,
Charity

Brian, Charity
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861

Offline Ruby

• Adept
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2007, 01:25:08 PM »
I didn't realize they could be rented.  But as often as I'm out and about I think I need to buy one.   :)   I also ordered a pouch to try.  It hasn't arrived yet, so I thought I'd check it out before ordering the Ergo.  I need something for short trips, and something for long trips.  I may have to invest in a pouch and the Ergo. ;)

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
We have all the colors in stock right now and we have a 90-day trial for the ERGO.  (If you haven't bought one yet).  Rental is at

Regards,
Charity

« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 02:55:14 PM by papercraftr »

Brian, Charity
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861

Offline Myjoy

• Adept
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2007, 08:20:13 AM »
For anyone who's interested, you can get a "secondhand" Ergo from the company (ergobabycarrier.com) for much less than a new one. They just have replaced some part and are reselling it for as cheap as $55 plus shipping. I just ordered one that they just replaced the buckle on the waist strap and it was $65 plus shipping. A friend of mine in the area is the one who told me about it, as she got one and has been very pleased with it. Anyway, it's cheaper than $92! And, they wash each one after they replace the part. You have to call their 888 number and talk to someone to get the discount.

Offline healthnut

• Adept
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2007, 11:45:53 PM »
For anyone who's interested, you can get a "secondhand" Ergo from the company (ergobabycarrier.com) for much less than a new one. They just have replaced some part and are reselling it for as cheap as $55 plus shipping. I just ordered one that they just replaced the buckle on the waist strap and it was $65 plus shipping. A friend of mine in the area is the one who told me about it, as she got one and has been very pleased with it. Anyway, it's cheaper than $92! And, they wash each one after they replace the part. You have to call their 888 number and talk to someone to get the discount.

This is a wonderful bit of info!! Got to go tell my friend....

Thanks Myjoy!

Offline homesteadmommy

• Adept
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2007, 07:03:24 AM »
I am looking into getting a baby carrier and am definately interested in the Ergo. Are there any of you who used them when you were pregnant.  How did that work? Anxious to hear any insights - and of course more testimonials - in a mulititude of counselors there is safety!

Offline mhsmama4

• Adept
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2007, 07:09:10 AM »
I am looking into getting a baby carrier and am definately interested in the Ergo. Are there any of you who used them when you were pregnant.  How did that work? Anxious to hear any insights - and of course more testimonials - in a mulititude of counselors there is safety!

Yes, I'm 25 weeks pregnant and still using it with our 13 month old.  The part that goes around the waist/hip area expands to quite a large size...my dh is a big guy and wears it with no problems, so I think I could probably wear it till near the end, although I'm not sure I'll want to!   Maybe it could just be fastened under the belly?

Offline Mrs. Dugger

• Adept
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2007, 10:49:36 AM »
I could use the ergo until I was about 5 months pregnant, but after that it wasn't comfortable any more.  But my uterus tends to hang way out and low.  Maybe others can do it.  I also get so large when I am pregnant that there is no way it would have fit around me.

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2007, 11:21:21 AM »
I could use the ergo . . .

Hello, is this Michelle Duggar with the 17 children in Arkansas?

If it is, THANK YOU for posting us on your website.  It's so cute to see Jana holding your newest in the Ergo while playing the piano!  http://duggarfamily.com/photos.html

Hope all is well . . . been thinkin' about you!

Brian, Charity
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2007, 03:39:35 AM »
Anyone ever used a wrap like in these pictures? http://www.cheekymonkey.ca/MamaKangarooInstructions.htm

Looks like making  a wrap is the cheapest opinion  but I'm wondering if they are actually comfortable. I have a bad back but would only be wearing it for grocery shopping. Does it take a long time to get tied correctly? The Ergo looks nice but I'm thinking more along the lines of WalMart dollar fabric ;)
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2007, 03:58:10 AM »
Anyone ever used a wrap like in these pictures? http://www.cheekymonkey.ca/MamaKangarooInstructions.htm

Looks like making  a wrap is the cheapest opinion  but I'm wondering if they are actually comfortable. I have a bad back but would only be wearing it for grocery shopping. Does it take a long time to get tied correctly? The Ergo looks nice but I'm thinking more along the lines of WalMart dollar fabric ;)

I tried one like this for two of mine and loved the comfort and both hands free.  I used it some around the house, but found the tying to be too challenging for me to use it much away from home.   :P 

I had a couple of friends who used theirs constantly and were quite adept at the tying process.  Just a matter of preference.

My favorite for all 5 of mine was homemade slings.  I have back injuries and these distribute weight nicely, for me.  Also, made it really nice for nursing while away from home and for carrying toddlers! 

There are links earlier in this thread for instructions. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2007, 04:48:36 AM »
Yes! I made my own with WalMart $1 fabric (back when I was allowed to shop at WM! ;)) and it was very comfortable. I didn't buy a long enough piece, so I cut it in half lengthwise, overlapped the ends and sewed it together so the middle was a double layer. It was easy to learn to wrap the baby up, and it felt like better support than my homemade slings. I still preferred my slings for putting in the diaper bag for shopping trips, etc.

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2007, 04:54:14 AM »
They do look rather time consuming for re-wrapping the baby at every stop :-\ I don't think I can handle a sling though since even the weight on my shoulders from a heavy coat causes me pain. I'm going to see if I can find some inexpensive fabric today. I felt the baby move this morning and now I'm all excited ::)
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2007, 05:00:17 AM »
They do look rather time consuming for re-wrapping the baby at every stop :-\ I don't think I can handle a sling though since even the weight on my shoulders from a heavy coat causes me pain. I'm going to see if I can find some inexpensive fabric today. I felt the baby move this morning and now I'm all excited ::)

It's really not that bad once you get used to it. When I'd be out running errands, I sometimes kept the wrap on, slid Baby out into the carseat, drove to the next stop, popped Baby back in, and away we went!
(I love when the baby bumping starts... It is so special to feel that little life in there. Kind of makes it seem more real somehow.)