Author Topic: Baby Carrier/Sling Recommendations  (Read 49659 times)

Nickole

Re: Baby Carrier/Sling Recommendations
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2007, 12:54:31 PM »
I used the Maya Wrap and I loved it.  I have a petite frame, so I didn't want anything with padding.  I have one in perfect shape, size small that I will sell.....Oops, wrong thread.   :)

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2007, 01:56:16 PM »
My opinion is that the slings with padding are cumbersome and hard to adjust. I had an Over The Shoulder Baby Holder brand and used it a lot, but found a free pattern for an unpadded sling. That worked much better for me, and was simple to make. It was at slingmemommy.com .
I know other moms that really liked the padded slings, though, too. I also really like the 5 yard long fabric wrap. Once you get used to tying them, they are so comfy. A ring sling works best for keeping in the diaper bag for quick grocery runs and errrands.

http://www.slingmemommy.com/pattern%20frame.htm

here is the link for the instructions on making your own sling on this site...in case any one is interested...wish they had pictures  ???
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2007, 02:43:47 PM »
Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I make 'Mama Love' baby slings. It is a wrap style carrier with no straps or rings, just simple cloth. You can wear it in any position, even with twins (wearing two at once). It is great for discreet nursing and WAY more comfortable than the other carrier I've used as it distributes the weight more evenly across your back. My babies LOVE being in it and I've used it from newborn to about two years. Thanks and good luck in your search! :)

Just thought you might be interested in the site... www.mamalovebabyslings.com
  the sites not working...

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2007, 02:46:21 PM »
I used the Maya Wrap and I loved it.  I have a petite frame, so I didn't want anything with padding.  I have one in perfect shape, size small that I will sell.....Oops, wrong thread.   :)
  did you post in the buy/ sell thread yet? do you have a pic? and when you mean size small...what if the babies are big and momma's small? should i just make one out of a king size bed sheet? ;D  you can pm me if you want i just might be interested in it.

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2007, 03:29:36 PM »
Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I make 'Mama Love' baby slings. It is a wrap style carrier with no straps or rings, just simple cloth. You can wear it in any position, even with twins (wearing two at once). It is great for discreet nursing and WAY more comfortable than the other carrier I've used as it distributes the weight more evenly across your back. My babies LOVE being in it and I've used it from newborn to about two years. Thanks and good luck in your search! :)

Just thought you might be interested in the site... www.mamalovebabyslings.com
  the sites not working...

i just clicked on it and it was working fine, unless there are supposed to be pictures ---all i could view were written instructions.
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2007, 04:08:31 PM »
hmmmmm mine keeps saying

Unexpected Result

An unexpected error has occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A store was not found with the URL of stores.mamalovebabyslings.com.

might be operators error....

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2007, 04:14:11 PM »

My sister got a hot sling and loved it!  It looked really cute on her, too.  You do have to be really careful about sizing it right, though.  She called the number they gave to make sure it would fit, and it did.

I got the ergo, and love it, too, but I got it when my baby was 7 months old.  I don't know how well they work with newborns.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 04:15:52 PM by skelliott2 »

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2007, 04:34:19 PM »
ok i was just informed that my hubby wants to "rock the sling" also. he wants to carry number 3 instead of carrying a carrier or buying a double stroller.
   ok so here's the dealy-o. i'm probably m-l (5'3" and not so big)), he's...well on the larger side.  i also have neck and TMJ problems tbat affect my back and shoulders so the ones that go over both shoulders look appealing.
   i would like to just buy one if i have to pay full price.
any recommendations...or suggestions...?

Offline JVasquez

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2007, 07:03:56 AM »
We also tried several slings. We ended up with a Kangaroo Pouch from kangarookorner.com we love it. It's fleece and it's so snuggly. The price was about $60 dollars but well worth it. I have a 3 month old that weighs 19 lbs and it is very comfortable for me. We just got back from traveling out west and I wore it though the airports and in the planes. it was great!

Also, my sister-in-law has an ergo and really likes it too. It's just a carrier instead of a sling. depends on what kind you like on your body. Both are great! the sling is better for infants (i think) the ergo when they are a little older!

Good luck!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2007, 10:56:11 AM »
ok i'm going to post this over in the humour at home thread but i thought i'd share here too since it's where it started...

my hubby and i were talking about slings again for the baby and our almost 5 yr old ds asked with all seriousness "YOU'RE GOING TO PUT THE BABY IN A SLINGSHOT?!?!"

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
   oh the pictures going through that little guys mind.

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2007, 06:01:36 AM »
I have a ring sling, and i cant figure it out. My 4 month old gets upset when i try to work with it so i always give up. I posted a pic on the buy, sale and trade thread. I'm really looking into buying a Ergo. Is it any better then a baby Bjorn because my husband really likes those. I'm wondering if i will be throwing away 92 dollars when the baby Bjorn i have would work just as good. Anybody tried both and can give me some advice?
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline Naomismama

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2007, 06:07:07 AM »
I am working on getting a step by step instructional with pictures on my site but I know you can go here: http://www.taylormadeslings.com/instructions.html
and they have a GREAT instructions. When I made my first sling, I didn't even know how to use ut until I found this site. It saved the sling from going in the trash! Now I couldn't live w/out my sling! LOL
Good luck!
Check out my yahoo group, (or PM me) for info on my baby slings!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/santinasslings/

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2007, 03:46:04 AM »
I'm looking for a new baby carrier.  I'm debating between the Moby wrap and the Ergo.  I was wondering if anyone had tried these and could make a recommendation.  My son is 4 months and huge.  He weighs about 17lbs. he's long and chunky.  The sling I have been using is just too little to support his weight now without me holding on with one hand.  I'd like to know he's secure without me holding on so I can use both hands, you know?  Anyone tried one or both of these and can point me in a direction?  Thanks!

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2007, 06:04:01 AM »
bump!

Offline momto6

• Learning
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2007, 07:49:52 PM »
I'm looking for a new baby carrier.  I'm debating between the Moby wrap and the Ergo.  I was wondering if anyone had tried these and could make a recommendation. 

I bought an Ergo when my 5th was about 10 months old.  She was a big baby and outgrew an Infantino carrier that I was given when she was about 6 months old.  I wish that I had had it for all of my babies!!  I was a couple months preg. at the time, so I knew I would get plenty of use out of it,  but my dd is 2 now and I can still carry her in it on my back - she's 33 pounds - although the baby, who is 8 mos. uses it much more.  I will say, though, that it was not the best thing for an infant...I didn't get the insert, I tried just using a baby quilt, but it still didn't seem really comfy for her.  But, by the time she was about 3 months old she could ride in it comfortably and has always loved it.  My back doesn't get sore at all - it's as comfortable as they say it is!  I am able to do things around the house when she's fussy and she is very secure on the front or back.  The only time I have to hold her a little in it is if she's sleeping in the front and I have to lean over and pick up something off the floor - I just put one hand behind  her head. 

I'm not familiar with the Moby wrap at all, but I would definitely recommend the Ergo! :).  Especially since your son is already 4 months old, it would be perfect. 

Offline Mrs. JDT

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2007, 09:55:36 PM »
I agree about the Ergo. So versatile, comfortable and durable. If you buy the infant insert, you really can wear a small baby in it, you just have to practice. It's the best one around, IMO..

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2007, 03:08:36 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations!  I actually ordered one of each (Moby and Ergo) because I couldn't make up my mind.  I'm going to send back one, but this way I can try them both and see which one works the best for me.  Honestly, I like the idea of the Moby the best, because there is no buckles or anything, I could just fold it and throw it in the diaper bag (plus it's alot cheaper).  But my son is huge (about 17bs) and I'm not sure that it would hold him well enough.  I wish I had one when he was a newborn!  There wasn't any place locally that sells either of them where I could go to try them on and see what I thought.  I'll let you guys know which one ends up working the best for me.

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2007, 10:10:06 AM »
BOTH HANDS FREE, finally!! I wish I could've found the ERGO sooner! I'm the mother of 10 children and this has been the lifesaver for me for 9th and 10th babies. I'm able to use BOTH hands for most projects. The only thing I haven't done with the ERGO is taken a shower with it =) Perhaps it's because I'm getting older . . . but I've found the sling to give me back/neck problems. With TWO ERGOs my 15 year old daughter was able to comfort TWO little ones (13 months & 2 years old) AT THE SAME TIME--front & back!

We're now carrying it in our family store at www.TheHomeGrownFamily.com.

Check it out if you can  :D
»§«:*´`³¤³´`*:»«:*´`³¤³´`*:»§«:*´`³¤³´`*:»«:*´`³¤³´`*:»§«

Brian, Charity
Jimella, Eden, Philip, David, Mark, Abigail,
Meorah, Merry, Titus & Hope CALLIS
www.TheHomeGrownFamily.com
Coconut/Palm Oil | ERGO baby carriers | Grain Mills | BOSCH | Natural Products
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2007, 12:42:44 PM »
LOVE my Ergo also!

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2007, 03:25:16 PM »
I LOVED my Ergo and finally sold it on ebay after three years of not being pregnant and no longer needing it with my youngest.....wouldnt you know that two months later........yep, gonna need to get me a new one! 
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2007, 07:48:31 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS!!!  When are you due?  How many boys/girls do you have?

You can see my children here after 10 babies and 7 baby carriers!!
www.TheHomeGrownFamily.com.  We're STILL using it  ;)

love,
Charity

CONGRATULATIONS!!  congratulationsCONGRATULATIONS!!  congratulations!CONGRATULATIONS!!  congratulationsCONGRATULATIONS!!  congratulations!CONGRATULATIONS!!  congratulationsCONGRATULATIONS!!  congratulations!

Brian, Charity
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861

Offline kentuckymommy

• KentuckyMommy
  • Adept
    • The Path Less Traveled
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2007, 12:23:40 PM »
Hubbie bought me an Ergo while baby 4 was fresh after he read the Above Rubies girls talking about it............Well now Bethany is 8 months and we have a wonderful relationship with our Ergo! The Ergo Baby Carrier ROCKS!
Ashley, sweetheart to Jesse and mamabear to five little babes...Emily Grace (10), Jeremiah David (8.5), Joshua Caleb (6), Bethany Joy (3.5), and Jonathan Paul (14 months)!

Dear hubby scared Miah when we was 18 months and Miah told Daddy," You carin' me dad, you care!" Very cute!

Offline hsmamafl

• Learning
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2007, 01:34:44 PM »
My neighbor is 7 months pregnant and for her baby shower gift I would like to get her a sling/pouch/baby carrier.  I love my Maya Wrap but it was harder on my back and hips when I was using it while pregnant with my next child so that is why I would like a different recommendation.  She would like to have another baby quite soon (like to get pregnant within a year) after her first so one that would work well while pregnant would be great!  I appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks,
Michelle

Offline 4lilkeepers

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2007, 07:30:20 AM »
I recently have read all these posts in looking for a carrier and decided to break down and buy the Ergo.  I LOVE IT!  I wouldn't have anything else!  It fits so well that it feels like it's just a part of me!  The baby loves it! (7 weeks old and 10 pounds)  She nurses in it and no one knows unless they ask.  I purchased mine from www.thehomegrownfamily.com  I think the owner uses this board some.  They have a 90 money back guarantee on it and free shipping!

HTH
4lilkeepers

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2007, 07:41:25 AM »
I'll let you guys know which one ends up working the best for me.

So I tried both, and unfortunately am sending both back.  I preferred the Moby wrap overall, but when my husband said that he didn't think our son would be happy in it once he gets mobile (he's almost 5 months now).  I hate to say this, because so many people here seem to love the Ergo, but it wasn't comfortable for me.  I think it's because I have a very short torso, and a large bust area.  It kept the weight off my shoulders, though, just like it says it will.  I'm glad it's working for so many others though.   

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2007, 07:56:47 AM »
I have a ring sling, and i cant figure it out. My 4 month old gets upset when i try to work with it so i always give up. I posted a pic on the buy, sale and trade thread. I'm really looking into buying a Ergo. Is it any better then a baby Bjorn because my husband really likes those. I'm wondering if i will be throwing away 92 dollars when the baby Bjorn i have would work just as good. Anybody tried both and can give me some advice?

90-day Guarantee
FREE Shipping
FREE instructional DVD (with purchase)
Check out the 90-day policy

WE TRIED BOTH!!  My hubby liked the Bjorn too.  We got it at the Disneyland LOST & FOUND Sale for $1 (my sister works there--she's a float driver)!!!  It worked great, until we got the ERGO  ;D

The ERGO has a padded waist belt so the baby's weight does not rest on your shoulders.  SO, as baby grows, your back is spared.  If it doesn't work for you, then you can return it.
  :D

Brian, Charity
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2007, 02:21:33 AM »
Found this and thought it may be helpful to someone.
http://www.mammasmilk.com/pages/makeyourown.php

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Naomismama

• Adept
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2007, 04:52:33 AM »
My neighbor is 7 months pregnant and for her baby shower gift I would like to get her a sling/pouch/baby carrier.  I love my Maya Wrap but it was harder on my back and hips when I was using it while pregnant with my next child so that is why I would like a different recommendation.  She would like to have another baby quite soon (like to get pregnant within a year) after her first so one that would work well while pregnant would be great!  I appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks,
Michelle

Well, everyone is different and it seems different slings work better for different people. I have tried all kinds of slings, carriers, and backpacks, and found the ring sling to be the easiest to use and the most comfortable and versatile. There are lots of places that sell them. I do too. I feel weird recomending myself but I like the way I make mine. I fold the rings in and sew it up in a way so that the whole shoulder area can easily fan out across your shoulder, evenly distributing the weight across your back and shoulder. I also sell pouch slings that aren't adjustable but I found the ring sling easier to use with my daughter because at this age she's up and down a lot and when she was little I could loosen the sling and switch her into a different position easily. I sell them for $25, pouch slings for $15, and kids doll slings for $10. I have a yahoo group (link in my signature below) if your interested. All the info on how to order is in the Files section. You can choose any materail you'd like. There's pictures of the material I have on hand in the photo's but if you don't see something you like, just give me an idea and I will shop around for you! I am usually able to get whatever people are looking for. Hope you find something that suits you!
Check out my yahoo group, (or PM me) for info on my baby slings!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/santinasslings/

Offline Melly

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2007, 05:46:57 AM »
Ever tried the Baby Trekker?  I have one and love it, so does my 12 month VERY mobile son.  He can face out on either the front or back from an early age.  I can wear it a long time comfortably.  Here is a link to their site comparing them with the ergo and others.
http://babytrekker.com/compare2.htm

I hope you find the right one.
Melody

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2007, 09:49:17 PM »
I just got our sample Baby Trekker in the mail yesterday. Hmmm?  I'm trying to figure it out (we still have to watch the DVD).  From a quick glance at the manual and fiddling with it, my daughter and I kinda get tangled in it -- we're little people  :-\  We'll watch the DVD and see if it's more clear.  I looked into it because I liked the option of facing out, however, when we put it on ... we have a lot of excess buckles and straps hanging.  What do you do with the overage?

~Charity

Brian, Charity
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861