Author Topic: Baby Carrier/Sling Recommendations  (Read 49674 times)

Offline amom3boys

• Learning
Baby Carrier/Sling Recommendations
« on: July 18, 2006, 05:52:27 PM »
I am very interested in getting a carrier for my son.(8 weeks)
I have looked at the wrap style and the pouches. But,there are so many options and I don't know how to decide.(I never used one with my other two). Here are some things I have to consider. Maybe it will help you decide for me! ;D
1.He loves being carried very close to my body.
2.I would be nursing in it from time to time(privacy is a big factor)
3.Comfort(I have an inexpensive carrier from Wal-Mart that kills me after about 10 minutes)
4.I wouldn't be wearing him all day. Mainly just when we're out shopping,out to the park,etc.
5.I really think I'd prefer one with a small amount of fabric(although this is not a huge factor)
I don't want to spend a ton of money on one,but I'm willing to pay for a good carrier that I will enjoy.

So, there are the facts. Tell me all I need to know!!!
Thanks,
Rachel

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
Re: Baby Carrier/Sling Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 06:00:43 PM »
I doubt you can get much cheaper and easier than this:

http://www.wearyourbaby.org/Default.aspx?tabid=124

I find ring slings to be nice in some ways, but not very ergonomically correct. I have heard GREAT things about the Ergo and the Sutemi, but they are pricey, though well worth it I understand. I would definitly get a wrap or backback that spaces everything evenly to spare your back. The wraps have extra fabric that you can spread around you for nursing privacy.

Offline felmleyfam

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 06:56:08 PM »
I have an ergo and love it. You can nurse in it. You can wear it on your front, side or back. You don't need the infant insert, you can use a blanket. The hugabub (like the wearyourbaby.org) is comfortable and takes a little getting used to. My friend made me one. I do prefer the ergo over it because you just strap it on and click it into place but you could easily get used to the fabric one. The ergo is great for your back (I wore my one year old on my back today while picking berries and I am almost 9 months pregnant).
happy wife & momma ! When people say, "you have your hands full," I say, "and my heart!!!" It changes their negative attitude into a positive one in a few seconds flat

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 01:18:02 AM »
I've heard great things about the Ergo from mothers that had a bunch of kids. I have another kind, can't think what it's called, but it made all the difference in Walmart. My baby hated the carseat and would scream the whole time, in the wrap i  just nursed him while i shopped. ::) Hey, it saved my sanity, and noone could tell.

Offline Mamatutu

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 01:51:33 AM »
Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I make 'Mama Love' baby slings. It is a wrap style carrier with no straps or rings, just simple cloth. You can wear it in any position, even with twins (wearing two at once). It is great for discreet nursing and WAY more comfortable than the other carrier I've used as it distributes the weight more evenly across your back. My babies LOVE being in it and I've used it from newborn to about two years. As far as cost, it's $25, post paid. You can PM me for more inforamtion. Thanks and good luck in your search! :)

Stacey
Stacey ~ Privileged to be the wife and helpmeet of my darling Daniel and devoted mama to four precious babes~ Micah Daniel (2/7/04), Rebekah Hope (9/8/05), and Eliahna Pearl (6/9/07), and TBA November 2008.

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 02:05:32 AM »
I loved my Ergo too! 
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 02:39:23 AM »
I have a New Native Sling and I love it. I nurse in it and carry my baby everywhere. I found mine on Ebay for about 15 dollars. I also have a no name brand that I like that someone sewed. If you do a google search for sewing a sling you can find EASY directions to make one yourself. There are no rings and it does not take to much material.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline Mrs. JDT

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 04:19:02 AM »
Ergo, Ergo, Ergo!!! They are the best as far as comfort and not bad on your baby's back like a baby Bjorn. They are about $ 92.00, but the price includes shippping. :)

Offline Mrs. Dugger

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 06:29:24 AM »
I've never tried Ergo, but I love just using a long wrap.  I just saw the site www.wearyourbaby.com yesterday, and I wore mine all day comfortably!  I have a carrier that only puts the weight on the sholders and it's painful, and I have used a ring sling too and it's hard on the sholders and back.  Like the other moms said, get one that distributes the weight.  I prefer the main bulk of the weight to be on my waist/hips. 

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 03:18:04 PM »
I also looked at wearyourbaby.com yesterday and it showed how to make one.
I tryed this and it was pretty ez to do with my 9mo.
SR
Just learn'n but pioneer at heart.
Sherri

Offline Mamatutu

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 08:56:43 AM »
Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I make 'Mama Love' baby slings. It is a wrap style carrier with no straps or rings, just simple cloth. You can wear it in any position, even with twins (wearing two at once). It is great for discreet nursing and WAY more comfortable than the other carrier I've used as it distributes the weight more evenly across your back. My babies LOVE being in it and I've used it from newborn to about two years. Thanks and good luck in your search! :)

Just thought you might be interested in the site... www.mamalovebabyslings.com
Stacey ~ Privileged to be the wife and helpmeet of my darling Daniel and devoted mama to four precious babes~ Micah Daniel (2/7/04), Rebekah Hope (9/8/05), and Eliahna Pearl (6/9/07), and TBA November 2008.

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 04:31:40 AM »
Hi there as many of you have seen I posted a post asking if anyone had slings for sale...I am looking for one...the ergo is mentioned above, but it doesn't look very comfy , esp for a newborn  (for mom or baby) the slings and wraps look way more comfy but some of them look complicated. I like the idea of the one piece simple wrap..no rings and things...

I am currently liking the looks of the "hot sling" anyone tried these?

Has anyone tried them all? What do you think?

BTW there are a few on this site who have slings and wraps for sale --used and new, so if you are interested, post it on the wanted thread.

THanks, SAndra
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 06:25:45 AM by natural »
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline steadygirl

• Adept
    • My church home page
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 06:26:07 AM »
I have an ergo and maya wrap sling. The ergo is really comfortable! Even my husband will use it. I have just been using it since my little guy was 6 months, though, so I don't know how well it works with really little people. ::) The maya wrap takes a little getting used to and I was never able to wear it for more than an hour without getting a little uncomfortable. It is nice for traveling. It folds up small and is very easy to nurse discreetly in. Maybe I just didn't spend enough time fooling around with it,but I couldn't figure out how to use that one while mine was itty bitty. Mine came with a  nice dvd telling how to use it in a bunch of different positions.

Offline blackbird

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 07:24:46 AM »
Just want to add that a cheap comfortable wrap can be made at home without any sewing.  You need to purchase about 5 yards of jersey knit tubing at the fabric store.  Use your 40% off coupon from Jo-ann's and it will cost $14-$20.  Then just cut up both sides.  No need to serge or sew because this fabric doesn't fray.  You now have 2 comfy and machine washable wraps.  Just go to the wearyourbaby.com site to see how to tie on.  Why I love mine:
                    Easy to wash, comfy t-shirt material that easily distributes weight across shoulders and hips, Can nurse in it in public without anyone knowing,  can wear on back too.

Also have a Sutemi and over the shoulder.  I like the Sutemi for the back carry becuause it is easy and secure and my back doesn't hurt.  My over the shoulder is good for quick trips with a bigger baby (my shoulder hurts if I wear too long) cradle carry for a newborn and is a great nursing cover up because they have a harder time pulling it down and sharing mommy with the world : )

Hope this helps!  My back and shoulders get sore easy so comfort is a big deal for me.

Rachel in Ohio
Oldest son to recently unemployed grandma, "You don't need another job, Grandma.  You already have a job being old." (This was a couple days before her 49th b-day).  Boys.

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 11:12:06 AM »
ohh good idea,,,anyone else have any input?
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline Kansas Girl

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 01:17:10 PM »
I have never owned a sling, but have been looking at these:  http://www.lucky-baby.com/p_categories.asp

Those of you who have had slings, what do you think???  Are these going to be comfy and not hurt back/shoulders?  -KG
having a baby" border="0

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 02:29:54 PM »
Didn't have time to read the whole thread, so I hope it's not a repeat:
  I love the MayaWrap from mayawrap.com and I think they sell patterns as well for sewers who want to save $.              ~L

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 03:20:02 PM »
my friend got one to carry her 1 1/2 yr old adopted baby to bond with him. it looked pretty simple and i liked it because it crossed both shoulders. course that was to hold a toddler on your hip on in front but i would think it would work for an infant too.

hmmm let me think of what it was called...she bought it at the mall for 30 bucks.

Offline K.Sarah

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 04:16:59 PM »
I have tried several carriers over the years, including a Baby Bjorn (comfy for when they are small, but not when they get heavy), a basic ring sling, and a Mei Tai (Asian Baby Carrier).  I liked the Asian carrier for when my little guy was small, and I wanted to try it on the back when he was bigger, but for some reason it kept cutting off circulation to his legs.  It was really comfy for me to wear, and I hated to get rid of it, but I did, because it didn't seem to work for him.  I have a suspicion that I just didn't know how to adjust him properly, because otherwise it was great.

Now I just fall back on the old faithful ring sling, which is nothing fancy -- one someone gave me years ago, a NOJO, I think which is not at all top of the line or super comfortable or anything -- but it keeps working year after year, and as long as it's not more than an hour, it's fine.
Happily married to my kind of guy, mama to 4 great  kiddos here and one little beauty with our Father.

Offline sierra

• Learning
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 04:30:01 PM »
I own many slings and have used many over the past 6 years.  I love the Maya (which you can make yourself) because of all the different positions the baby can be in: kangaroo, laying, on your hip, on your back, etc.  I also love my Moby for little ones, which you can also make yourself.  It is wonderful for keeping little ones snug and close.  The Over-the-Shoulder baby holder is great for newborns but with the extra padding they can get hot quickly.  Do be careful with the front packs that keep the legs pulled apart.  Doctors recommend you don't keep babies in them too long because keeping their legs separated like that can cause problems in the long run.  And don't forget a good hiking backpack for when the baby gets older.  That is the only carrier my husband likes.  Remember when shopping the diiferent places you will be using it.  Some are easier to throw in a diaper bag or suitcase while some are very bulky.  Some can be used for other things, like the Maya can easily keep a baby secured in a shopping cart.  If you are nursing, the maya is great for that.  I like some slings better for newborns then others.  Also, how long do you plan on wearing your baby?  If a toddler, the maya and moby are great. Having more than one type of sling is great if money allows.  Hope this helps. 
I have the most wonderful job: wife to Craig,  mommy to Orrin (7), Mostyn (6), Praise (4),  Sasona Joy (2) and Berwynn (born 1-15-08)

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 05:40:44 PM »
has anyone made the maya with success? i don't see any instructions on making your own Maya sling as mentioned above by petrimamma??

thanks for all your input
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 05:45:48 PM by natural »

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2007, 04:13:06 AM »
bump

Offline Carey

• Learning
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2007, 04:20:36 AM »
http://www.mayawrap.com/n_sewsling.php

this site seems to have simple instructions for making a maya wrap and there's a video link at the bottom for how to use it

Offline Jlynn

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2007, 04:31:03 AM »
http://www.mayawrap.com/n_sewsling.php 

Just posting and Carey beat me to it! Great minds work alike ;)
  I would use this link as well.

I really enjoy my Maya wrap hands down. The only carrier I had tried before it was a snugli (ouch) and a pain in the neck to use.  I've been using a Maya wrap (original) for my last three children.  I carry them in the front vertical position from first born until they get older, I use the front/hip position.  I can nurse discreetly anywhere.  They love it and I love it too.

Along this road...I enjoy reading about studies and info on attachment parenting.  I didn't hear about this until two children ago (I have four). I was already doing quite a bit of this w/o a "label".  Pretty interesting stuff.
http://www.bygpub.com/natural/attachment-parenting.htm
(one link of many)
"It becomes us to spend this life only as a journey toward Heaven....to
 which we should subordinate all other concerns of life.  Why should we
 labor for or set our hearts on anything else, but that which is our
 proper end and true happiness?" Jonathan Edwards

Offline Kymdenise

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2007, 06:30:42 AM »
I'm new to this website.. (looking for help for my girls curios rash).. but I stumbled onto this thread. I found a very affordable and super simple sling on mynestlings.com. They have a couple different styles, but I ordered a small traditional sling (over one shouler). It has been great, and it folds up nice and tiny (it's only fabric) and can honestly fit in my purse like a burp cloth.. Good luck.

Offline busymomma

• Adept
  • As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2007, 07:00:20 AM »
I make my own slings and also do custom slings for others. (linemansgirl and happymomma both have my slings, maybe a few more on here) My very first sling I made from the maya wrap site.  I would recommend  you to check out http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/ she has better instructions in my opinion. I prefer an adjustable pouch sling which is a cross between a pouch and a ring sling.  I also have a regular pouch, I love the convenience and very easy to make but the baby will grow out of it unless you use a stretchy fabric you will have to make a new one at about 3-4 months.  I also have a ring sling, stretchy wrap, and a mei tai.

I put a pocket in the tail of my slings, it is great for burp rag, wallet, keys, or whatever.

Please do not use the cheap craft rings from Wal-mart, they can break easily!  I order my rings from http://www.slingrings.com/ They have great selection and great service.

Have fun sewing!
As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2007, 07:52:28 AM »
I have an EllaRoo wrap....  I LOVE it!!! ;D
I checked out many wraps and slings and carriers, after researching I determined that the wraps are the best for you and the baby in terms of how the weight distrubutes on you and how your baby sits in them.  Carriers where all your babies weight is between their legs and their legs just dangle there, are believed to cause hip luxations.  So be cautious!  Anyway, I researched wraps and the ellaRoo had the best reviews.  I see why.  I thought of making my own, but I think that the reason the EllaRoo is so nice is the specific fabric and I wouldnt know how to get that fabric to make my own.  I considerd a Moby(slightly stretchy wrap) but read a few reviews saying the strechiness made the baby feel like they were not quite so snug against you after 10 minutes or so.  Mine is 18 months and about 30lbs, and I still put him in the wrap, not as often as before, but he still gets in it.

Offline mrs_zog

• Adept
  • Joseph's Coat rose bush:a gift from my parents
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2007, 11:49:45 AM »
I made my own using the instructions from http://www.mayawrap.com/n_sewsling.php. I bought rings for less than a $1 each at Lowe's. They are in the isle with the chains and such. They have a holding capacity of 264 pounds each. While they are a little smaller in diameter than traditional sling rings, they work great for me because I used a fairly light weight fabric.
A woman is like a tea bag--only in hot water do you realize how strong she is. ~Nancy Reagan

Offline healthnut

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2007, 12:28:07 PM »
Anybody tried the SlingEzee?

I knew a woman who swore by these, had several slings but only loved this one.

Here is a pic and info:

http://www.motherwear.com/prod.cfm/cid/64/sid/8201

I would love feedback on these as I am trying to acquire a good sling before the baby arrives.

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2007, 12:41:33 PM »
My opinion is that the slings with padding are cumbersome and hard to adjust. I had an Over The Shoulder Baby Holder brand and used it a lot, but found a free pattern for an unpadded sling. That worked much better for me, and was simple to make. It was at slingmemommy.com .
I know other moms that really liked the padded slings, though, too. I also really like the 5 yard long fabric wrap. Once you get used to tying them, they are so comfy. A ring sling works best for keeping in the diaper bag for quick grocery runs and errrands.