Author Topic: Eat Fat Lose Fat???  (Read 74631 times)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: Eat Fat Lose Fat???
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2007, 03:39:37 PM »

I like the Good Earth Tea, too, it's sweet & spicy, but I don't think mine has anything artificial in it.   ??? 

It does.  Artificial and Natural flavors.  I know this because it is one of hubby's favorite teas. Only God knows what the "artificial" flavor is.  :-\

YoopreMama

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2007, 03:49:11 PM »
It does.  Artificial and Natural flavors.  I know this because it is one of hubby's favorite teas. Only God knows what the "artificial" flavor is.  :-\

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I am so cross.  I read the bold stuff:  "Contains no sugar, caffeince, artificial colors or preservatives"....Missed the "Artificial & Natural Flavors"!  There were several types of Good Earth Tea...I thought maybe mine was exempt.  :(  Brand new box, too.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2007, 03:51:01 PM »
Ha ha haa!!  I know your pain.  I found out a couple months ago, and poor hubby just does not want to give it up.  He says,  "so what, so I'll die a year earlier"! LOL!!  Too funny!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2007, 03:53:24 PM »
Guess where I am?   :o

www.goodearth.com   >:(

I'm getting the lowdown....will quote their explanation on artificial flavors...

Here it is:

What is the difference between the All Natural and the Artificial flavored Good Earth Original Tea?

The all-natural flavors bring out a more pronounced anise note to the tea and is made for the specialty and health food markets. The packaging has a yellow banner across with red letters: ALL NATURAL. The “Natural and Artificial flavors” blend is sold at most grocery stores.

Why do some Good Earth teas carry artificial flavors?

Flavors are composed of many different ingredients. To enhance certain aspects of the flavor profile, Good Earth has added extra ingredients into a flavor to help create its unique taste.

At least one of these components is manufactured from a different raw material and was processed to be identical to one of the natural components of the flavor; thus it is often called nature-identical (e.g. taking orange pulp, processing it to become exactly like a lemon oil component, and using it in or as a lemon flavor).

Due to either the process or the raw material, United States regulations require a nature-identical product to be called artificial because there is no nature-identical category of flavors in the U.S. at this time. However, there is no MSG, no artificial sweeteners or other artificial ingredients about which you and many other consumers are understandably concerned in any of our teas.

So.  Now what? 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 03:57:21 PM by YooperMama »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2007, 03:55:15 PM »
Guess where I am?   :o

www.goodearth.com

I'm getting the lowdown....will quote their explanation on articicial flavors...

Thanks for letting me know!!  ;)

YoopreMama

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2007, 04:17:00 PM »
I might have to start a new thread... ;D

Artificial flavor - The United States Code of Federal Regulations (21 CFR 102.22) defines "artificial flavors" as any substance with the purpose of imparting flavor that is not derived from an herb, spice, fruit, vegetable, or other plant or animal source. A listing of artificial flavors can be found in 21 CFR 172.515 (b), and 21 CFR 182.60. (See also Natural Flavor.)

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_flavor

Date night time!   :-*

YoopreMama

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2007, 09:35:26 AM »
Thanks for the tips on incorporating CO in our diets.  I fried eggs in it, added to our teas, and oatmeal is on deck.  ;)  The children are getting this way, which I'm thrilled about.

I melted it and put it in a more user-friendly container w/ lid.  That squirt bottle in my 60 degree kitchen stunk!   :P

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2007, 11:02:28 AM »
I'm enjoying getting my daily coconut oil in by making it into peanut butter fudge! I just mix random amounts of oil, butter, peanut butter, raw honey, & sometimes cocoa powder. Yum.  :D
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

YoopreMama

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2007, 11:07:23 AM »
I'm enjoying getting my daily coconut oil in by making it into peanut butter fudge! I just mix random amounts of oil, butter, peanut butter, raw honey, & sometimes cocoa powder. Yum.  :D

Oh, thank you, likemanywaters, thank you!  :D

Offline leslieincali

• Adept
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2007, 11:50:35 AM »
If you whirl the melted coconut oil in a blender with a raw egg and then add the other smoothie ingredients, it does not go solid again when you add the cold ingredients. The egg act as an emulsifier. I read this in a coconut cookbook. It works. I usually just use canned coconut milk in my smoothies now though. I've decided that I'm going to cook with coconut oil and use the milk. Eating 3 T of any oil w/out other food just felt excessive to me.

YoopreMama

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2007, 12:25:55 PM »
If you whirl the melted coconut oil in a blender with a raw egg and then add the other smoothie ingredients, it does not go solid again when you add the cold ingredients. The egg act as an emulsifier. I read this in a coconut cookbook. It works. I usually just use canned coconut milk in my smoothies now though. I've decided that I'm going to cook with coconut oil and use the milk. Eating 3 T of any oil w/out other food just felt excessive to me.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!  (blowing kisses)...

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2007, 01:01:02 PM »
If you whirl the melted coconut oil in a blender with a raw egg and then add the other smoothie ingredients, it does not go solid again when you add the cold ingredients. The egg act as an emulsifier. I read this in a coconut cookbook.

COOL!!  Go leslie, go leslie!!  :D

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2007, 02:02:10 PM »
Is there something wrong with my coconut oil?  I made popcorn with it the other night and when I was done eating my mouth felt like I had canker sores all over in it.  It's the first time I've used coconut oil for cooking, etc.  I had just gotten the LouAna brand at walmart.  Is that why my mouth hurt - because of the cheap, processed oil?

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2007, 02:20:13 PM »
   We use the co from mountain rose herbs and use it in popcorn. Love it, so i would have to wonder if it's your cheap oil.

Offline leslieincali

• Adept
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2007, 02:29:50 PM »
AWW Shucks! ;D

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2007, 04:18:56 PM »
   We use the co from mountain rose herbs and use it in popcorn. Love it, so i would have to wonder if it's your cheap oil.

You know, I had a feeling it was.  What can I do with this oil?  I hate to throw it out.  I wonder if it would be okay for GOOT.  Guess I'll have to visit the health food store or go online for some GOOD co.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2007, 07:30:24 AM »
Is there something wrong with my coconut oil?  I made popcorn with it the other night and when I was done eating my mouth felt like I had canker sores all over in it.  It's the first time I've used coconut oil for cooking, etc.  I had just gotten the LouAna brand at walmart.  Is that why my mouth hurt - because of the cheap, processed oil?
Did you use any other seasonings?

YoopreMama

« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2007, 12:07:42 PM »
You all are giving me some good ideas on how to incorporate coconut oil into my diet!   :-*

Just made a smoothie to um, counteract, the um, chips, I ate after my nap.   :-[

Untreated milk, bananas, melted coconut oil, flax seed (whole), homemade vanilla, cocoa (for the iron & magnesium  ;)), maple syrup (for the iron and potassium  ::)), and a little ice...WHOA!  Like a creamy chocolate milkshake!   8)  Wish I had eggs to add, but the coconut oil remained fluid (well, granted, the shake didn't last long...)...The boys liked it but dd thought it should be colder...NO problem adjusting that!   ;D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 02:16:00 PM by Yooper »

YoopreMama

« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2007, 06:07:37 AM »
The Chocolate Mousse, from the avocado thread, I think, was fabulous!   :o

I put in the avocado, banana (2), cocoa and the some milk and maple syrup.  WOW!  So creamy and sweet--my family was fooled.   ;)  Now to add some coconut... :)

I'm reading The Liver Cleansing Diet by Dr. Sandra Cobot (Liver Function thread) and she talks a lot about people struggling to lose weight...how the liver is involved w/ managing fats and how an unhealthy liver will keep that extra weight on.  Very interesting.  She has an 8 week plan to slowly strength/heal/cleanse the liver...very do-able.  I'd encourage you to check it out!  Thanks, aussieinamerica, for directing me toward her!   :-*
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 05:21:39 AM by YooperMama »

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2007, 10:12:26 AM »
Wow, thanks for the inspiration, YooperMama! Toned body parts is reason enough to start scarfing coconut oil!
How's the rash doing with the increased oil intakes?
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

YoopreMama

« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2007, 10:22:36 AM »
Wow, thanks for the inspiration, YooperMama! Toned body parts is reason enough to start scarfing coconut oil!

Thanks for asking, inspiring-unassisted-birth-beeyoutiful girl!  :D

You know, I had forgotten that an increased intake of oils would help my skin, too!  Maybe that's another reason why it's improving....boy, your DSS cocktail dabbed on my skin sure took away the itching!  The dermatologist yesterday even said that DSS are legit for skin troubles.  When I let the rash run its course, it left the extremities and concentrated on my truck, especially over my abdomen.  It's clearing up, overall, though, Praise God!

I asked you about Livatone earlier in an old post...did you read more about it or take it? I'm reading that Liver Cleansing Diet book and it's fascinating.  Our liver being healthy affects so much!     

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2007, 10:30:47 AM »
LALALALALALALALALALALALA................

(I'm doing this so the headline doesn't carry the "B" word!"   ::) ;)

Have any of you noticed a tightening of parts of your body?  My legs seem more toned, as well as my, um, bre*sts.   ::) :-[ :)

Since starting to eat coconut oil I haven't really lost that much weight, but I do notice that I am more toned & look like I have lost weight.
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2007, 10:38:22 AM »
   My dh and one of my friends who lives in another state and just came to visit both think i lost weight. The ironic thing is, i weigh the same, if not a little more, because of "that time of month." I hadn't said a thing to either of them so i don't know what's happening but i'm not complaining. ;D

Offline yoopermom2

• Learning
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2007, 11:01:31 AM »
I've been INSPIRED ;D  by YooperMama's - Chocolate Mousse!  :-*

I ordered the Coconut Oil from:
www.wholefoodtoday.com

After searching these posts and the internet for highest quality and cost I THINK this is one of the best deals.  LOVE the free shipping!  :D

I'm adding this to our family's "better way of eating," so not necessarily for dieting, but we'll see what happens.  ;)
Chris & Kelly with Jake 13, Hannah 12,
Emma 9, Daba 7, Nora 6, Tarike 3, Dade 2

YoopreMama

« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2007, 12:34:44 PM »
I've been INSPIRED ;D  by YooperMama's - Chocolate Mousse!  :-*

I ordered the Coconut Oil from:
www.wholefoodtoday.com

After searching these posts and the internet for highest quality and cost I THINK this is one of the best deals.  LOVE the free shipping!  :D

I'm adding this to our family's "better way of eating," so not necessarily for dieting, but we'll see what happens.  ;)

You, nut!  :D

Thanks for the tip on the coconut oil....checking it out now!  :)

Did you see likemanywaters' way of combining it w/ peanut butter and cocoa...to make like a fudgie ball...maybe rolling it in crushed nuts?  YUMMM!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2007, 10:16:46 AM »
In my liver research I found this:

http://www.liverdoctor.com/newsletter/edition1.3/heal.asp
Fats- Which ones heal? Which ones harm?

For generations, we have been told “fat will make you fat”; how are we now supposed to wrap our heads around this complete about-face? The answer is to learn all the facts and understand why recent discoveries have turned previous medical theory on its head!

In those who eat no fat, there can be very serious health implications, which may be irreversible, as fat is an essential dietary item. Dietary fats are responsible for the following functions:
• Regulation of the metabolic rate- If dietary fats are deficient, the metabolic rate will slow down so that calories are burnt off less efficiently.
• Maintenance of the structural and functional quality of cell membranes and internal organs. If dietary fats are lacking, cells will not function efficiently and will not produce enough cellular energy, resulting in fatigue and a sluggish metabolism.
• Production of hormones- Sex hormones and the stress hormone, cortisone, are made from cholesterol and, if inadequate cholesterol is consumed, the liver will make enough cholesterol for the body to use for making steroid hormones.
• Cholesterol is also used to make cell membranes and the insulation around nerve fibres. If the liver is healthy, it will manufacture the good cholesterol called HDL cholesterol, which prevents hardening of the arteries. If the liver is unhealthy and fatty, it will manufacture excessive amounts of the bad LDL cholesterol, even if a low fat diet is followed.
• Production of prostaglandins and eicosanoids, which transmit messages between body cells
• Anti-inflammatory function
• Healthy appearance of the hair and skin

Good Fats:
These are generally known as the essential fatty acids, because the body is unable to make them and they are essential for good health. Because our food has become increasingly processed and many people erroneously follow low fat diets, we have found that deficiencies of essential fatty acids are very common.
The essential fatty acid groups are known as omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. This difference is based on their chemical structure and function.
Omega 3 fatty acid is known as alpha- linolenic acid.
Omega 6 fatty acid is known as linoleic acid.

Supplementing with essential fatty acids may benefit you as they reduce:
• Heart disease
• Blood clotting
• Insulin resistance
• The risk of diabetes
• The risk of irregular heartbeats
• Inflammation

Good sources of essential fatty acids include:
• Organic egg yolks
• Walnuts and other nuts (walnuts contain the highest levels of omega 3 fatty acids)
• Seeds and their cold pressed oil including sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower & safflower
• Legumes such as soy beans
• Cold water fish such as mackerel, cod, herring, tuna, salmon and sardines
• The leaves and seeds of most plants especially dark green leafy vegetables
• Whole grains
• Evening primrose oil
• Borage seed oil (starflower oil)
• Blackcurrant seed oil

When buying oils make sure they are good quality, cold pressed, unprocessed, unrefined oils. They are usually available in glass containers or bottles of a darker colour than transparent plastic. Essential fatty acids are very fragile and are easily damaged and oxidised by exposure to heat, air and light. To protect them in their original form, it is best to buy them and keep them in opaque containers in the refrigerator. Olive or palm oils are best for high temperature cooking such as stir-fries or sautéing. Flaxseed oil must not be heated, as this will damage the fragile omega 3 fatty acids.

Bad Fats:
Trans-fatty acids are man-made fats that originate from vegetable oils. Margarines are the best-known examples and are chemically processed, turning them into “hydrogenated vegetable oils”. This chemical process makes the fat more saturated, which means it is solid, at room temperature. Trans-fatty acids and other partially hydrogenated vegetable oils are totally unnatural and our cells find it very hard to use them. Trans-fatty acids not only block the use of the natural unprocessed essential fatty acids that are eaten, they end up being deposited into cell membranes. The problem is that they do not fit the cell membranes because they are the wrong shapes, so the membranes end up being weakened, with holes in them.

The liver doesn’t know how to utilise trans-fatty acids efficiently, and as a result, the trans-fatty acids may accumulate in it which causes fatty liver, especially if they are eaten with a lot of refined carbohydrates.

Trans-fatty acids have a very adverse effect on blood fats; they cause an elevation of undesirable, LDL cholesterol, triglycerides and lipoprotein (a), and lower the good, HDL cholesterol. This disturbance of blood fats is a potent predictor of cardiovascular disease.

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2007, 10:25:25 AM »

Thanks for asking, inspiring-unassisted-birth-beeyoutiful girl!  :D

You know, I had forgotten that an increased intake of oils would help my skin, too!  Maybe that's another reason why it's improving....boy, your DSS cocktail dabbed on my skin sure took away the itching!  The dermatologist yesterday even said that DSS are legit for skin troubles.  When I let the rash run its course, it left the extremities and concentrated on my truck, especially over my abdomen.  It's clearing up, overall, though, Praise God!

I asked you about Livatone earlier in an old post...did you read more about it or take it? I'm reading that Liver Cleansing Diet book and it's fascinating.  Our liver being healthy affects so much!     

LOL - thanks for the salutation  :D. Your research has been very interesting to me and I hope to be able to read through it more thoroughly. I did use Livatone for a week or so, and skimmed the book. It had good info, and the product seemed good as well. I then began to take Beeyoutiful's Liver Support formula that is mostly Silymarin and some Tumeric (inflammation) and had great results with it. I think the Livatone worked fine, but was expensive, and I didn't see immediate results with it like I did with the silymarin.

Another theory... Fats store toxins, and without fats, your body/liver has no vehicle in which to store toxins for removal. The fat "rocks" that form in the liver are little storage bins for toxins. I believe processed fats are toxic too. SO - lots of healthy fats means that your liver can ship out the toxins faster. So - I'm excited to see the results of eating good quality fats in conjunction with liver cleansing. I have no doubt this combo would be great for skin health.

See you just posted... thanks for more info!

MO,
Rebekah

Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2007, 12:00:32 PM »
I read a neat article in Above Rubies, about Palm oil. They said it helps you lose weight and has lots of health benefits. I tried to find it for you, but they dint have it on their website.  :-[

What kind of coconut oil should you use? Does it have to be organic? I have some from walmart but figure thats not the right kind.
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

YoopreMama

« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2007, 12:02:55 PM »
I read a neat article in Above Rubies, about Palm oil. They said it helps you lose weight and has lots of health benefits. I tried to find it for you, but they dint have it on their website.  :-[

What kind of coconut oil should you use? Does it have to be organic? I have some from walmart but figure thats not the right kind.

That is a cool article about the palm oil...I've read it...maybe I can fish it out and quote from it! :D

I've read here that the W-M coconut oil is "neutral"...that there are better...???

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2007, 12:19:23 PM »
Yea, and the good thing about it is that it taste great....so they say. ;D

I wonder about the price. Why is being healthy so expensive???
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4