Author Topic: Eat Fat Lose Fat???  (Read 76798 times)

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
Re: Eat Fat Lose Fat???
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2006, 08:17:51 AM »

So...if anything calls for 'shortening' I can just use Coconut Oil instead?  I'm so confused on the different types too.  If used for frying or let's say, popping popcorn, would you use one kind..then for baking, etc, use a diff kind?

Well, this is what I do:  whatever oil a recipe calls for I use coconut oil.  If it calls for 1 cup of vegetable oil for pancakes, muffins, breads, etc.  I just use CO.  I don't have a lot of recipes that call for shortening, so I would think that if your coconut oil is in it's "hardened" stage then it would have that solid state as shortening would. 

Thanks, healthy...I was thinking biscuits when a recipe calls for shortening. Also, I use it to grease pans for baking (mainly pizza). 
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2006, 08:22:14 AM »

Thanks, healthy...I was thinking biscuits when a recipe calls for shortening. Also, I use it to grease pans for baking (mainly pizza). 

Yes, it works very well in the "hardened" state when you have to mix it like those crumbly mixtures using two knives.  KWIM?  I have made biscuits and pie crust with the oil and it has turned out rather well.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2006, 10:13:17 AM »
If you're getting smaller and not losing weight this is a GOOD thing.  This means you are losing water and fat and retaining muscle.  That's very good news for you.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthnut

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2006, 11:08:16 PM »
I am currently using Wilderness Family Naturals "Traditional Philippine" Processed Coconut Oil. It runs about $21 for 1 quart directly from them but can be purchased for about $16 from azurestandard.com

Mary Enig and Sally Fallon HIGHLY recommend traditional processing over the other types--I don't remember why but I believe they explain in the book. I guess I need to reread that part.  ;)

Okay if you can't stomach the coconut oil in your water, tea, or coffee take a leap and try it in Hot Chocolate  :o Yup good ol' hot chocolate ::) I love to drink my coconut oil this way--and I can't really taste it either  8) My husband thought I was nuts but he can handle it this way.

Hope that helps  ;D

Offline Charis

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2006, 02:34:18 AM »
Yeah I remember trying to swallow the coconut oil. I would pinch my nose and get it down , but as soon as I let go of my nose I would start gagging. Then I would have coconut burps for a while. Yuck. I take my coconut by eating a few spoonfulls of coconut cream concentrate. It is delicious! I use it on my 1 year old's pbj's instead of the peanut butter. For a treat I get some 60% chocolate chips and put a few on my spoonful. Not very often though ::). My older kids hate it and can instantly tell if I used the same knife making sandwiches or put it in their smoothies. ;D I get mine from www.tropicaltraditions.com
"Momma can I have some fruit? I think my body needs some vitamin C." -Madelyn 5

Offline healthnut

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2006, 09:26:21 AM »
I would have coconut burps for a while. Yuck. I take my coconut by eating a few spoonfulls of coconut cream concentrate. It is delicious!

I never get the burps from the coconut oil, just the cod-liver oil :P Gross!!!

Has anyone noticed a change in their energy since taking the coconut oil? I was hoping it would help, but I still feel tired all the time. Maybe I haven't been taking it long enough?

Offline Charis

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2006, 11:16:35 AM »

Ugh! I get those from my prenatals because they have a duet vitamin now so I get a regular and then a DHA gel. Very fishy later. BURP :P ::)

Offline leslieincali

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2006, 07:21:10 PM »
I finally found a way to get my coconut oil down. Good earth makes a spiced herbal tea. It lists artificial flavoring though. I found tonight that trader joe's has their own version w/out the artificial flavor. It has a strong spicy taste which masks the coconut flavor. I make a jumbo size mug to further dilute the oiliness. Other than the greasy lips, I hardly noticed it. Leslie

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2006, 04:33:01 AM »
Teehee, I'm a cheater when it comes to the coconut oil. I mix in just enough Nutela (I know, bad, bad, mommy) to make it taste better and put it in the fridge to get hard. It's easier for me to eat it if it's crunchy than if it's liquid.

I've been meaning to try and use honey, stevia, or some such thing and carob powder to make the same stuff.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline tabsmum

• Wide Eyed
    • Homeschool Heaven
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2006, 10:33:08 AM »
May I ask a question of those who have used this diet? My husband needs to lose at least 10 kilos (22 pounds I think) and has been taking 2 tbs (tablespoons) coconut oil before each meal (about 20 mins before). To start with this seriously depressed his appetite (he was pleased!) but now it does nothing. He has been taking the oil about 2 weeks. He also takes the cod liver oil before breakfast, and has reduced calorie intake - I would say moderately. We have reduced carbs moderately too, and have no sugar (except for the weekend special cup of coffee!). He has an active job as a handyman/gardener. He is STARVING between meals he says.....and worse still, is gaining weight :-l
Help! Do we continue with the coconut oil or not? David says if he has to reduce food intake by sheer willpoer anyway and starve between meals he'd rather do it without the yuckky coco oil - he can't stand it (shows how much willpower he has to keep taking it - I admire him!. I take mine in a smoothie)
We don't follow the meal plans in the book as the ingredients are just too expensive here....but I think we approximate the sort of meals they are talking about - high protein, high to moderate good fats, moderate carbs, no sugar etc - we make fresh ground wheat bread too, soaked whenever I remember :-0

Ngaire in Australia

Offline Charis

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2006, 12:04:05 PM »
The best way to lose the pounds is to reduce calories at first. Eat several small meals. Wheight training, weight training, weight training. This will jump start you metabolism. Keep track of your calories at first and stay within your limit. You'll get used to how much is in everything and you won't always need to write them. Once your metab. is back up from exercise then you can increase your calories to maintain.

Offline mrsnoah

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2006, 02:15:42 PM »
Has anyone tried taking the coconut oil in softgel form? I noticed it helps with hunger but I have'nt been taking it long enough to see weight loss. Has anyone else?
~M

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2006, 06:14:41 PM »
Hi,
A couple months ago I quickly (in weeks) lost 20 lbs eating a high amount of raw food.  Lots of CO, nuts, fruits, veggies, sprouts, etc.  I never remember feeling better.  I had boundless energy.  Sometimes I felt like I needed to find ways to burn it.  I dropped it after a couple months because our lives had some changes for a while.  But I have stayed with eating way more raw than I did before and starting most mornings with Smoothies.  Now I am inspired to start using more Coconut oil again.  I like the flavor, not the greasiness though.
I really like Young Coco water and have found a good way of opening the nut.  Puncture some holes in the top and drain the water.  To get the meat out, place the coconut in 2 plastic grocery bags and whack the several times on concrete (our patio or garage)  This opens them up with no mess and very little effort.  I think it's kind of fun too. 

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2006, 06:05:54 AM »
He is STARVING between meals he says.....and worse still, is gaining weight :-l
Ngaire in Australia
Try adding more meat (with the fat on). It should satisfy his hunger for longer between meals (and I even read that he will eat less at the next meal).

HTH,
WR
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 07:46:48 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2007, 04:59:07 AM »
The only way I like to "take" coconut oil is blended in a fruit smoothie. Makes it taste tropical! (You can freeze pinapple chunks for the pina colada flavor...)
I tried this and the coconut oil got hard and blended into little rocks that I had to swallow with my smoothy.  GAG.  I've tried it melted in hot chocolate.  This didn't taste awful, but I'm concerened about the calories.  I tried it in my coffee.   :-X  Never again.  I tried it off the spoon.  :-X  Worse than the coffee. 

So, how are you supposed to get this stuff into your body without cooking it?  I'm really trying to figure it out, but I try one experiment per day which only gets about 1 T in me a day and I'm supposed to have 2 to 3 times that much. 

I'm going to put some in oatmeal, but I don't intend to eat oatmeal every day (unless I have to).
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2007, 05:04:55 AM »
The only way I like to "take" coconut oil is blended in a fruit smoothie. Makes it taste tropical! (You can freeze pinapple chunks for the pina colada flavor...)
I tried this and the coconut oil got hard and blended into little rocks that I had to swallow with my smoothy.  GAG.  I've tried it melted in hot chocolate.  This didn't taste awful, but I'm concerened about the calories.  I tried it in my coffee.   :-X  Never again.  I tried it off the spoon.  :-X  Worse than the coffee. 

So, how are you supposed to get this stuff into your body without cooking it?  I'm really trying to figure it out, but I try one experiment per day which only gets about 1 T in me a day and I'm supposed to have 2 to 3 times that much. 

I'm going to put some in oatmeal, but I don't intend to eat oatmeal every day (unless I have to).

My first experiences with coconut oil in smoothies was the same.  If you have the coconut oil melted & slowly pour it in as the blender is going it works great!  That is our favorite way to have coconut oil.

Other than that I really like it in chai tea with a little bit of milk or in place of butter on toast.  I did'nt personally like it in oatmeal.
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2007, 05:35:05 AM »
I tried this and the coconut oil got hard and blended into little rocks that I had to swallow with my smoothie. 

I have had this happen to me, too.  I noticed that my smoothie consisted of "right out of the fridge" milk and yogurt, and frozen berries.  If you want your CO not to harden, then you have to make sure your berries or fruit are fresh or thawed and make sure everything is room temp.  Kind of an inconvenience, but it works.  Or you can keep experimenting.  I like putting it in some hot apple cider, too.  It tastes almost like buttered rum cider. 

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2007, 06:17:02 AM »
I tried this and the coconut oil got hard and blended into little rocks that I had to swallow with my smoothie. 

I have had this happen to me, too.  I noticed that my smoothie consisted of "right out of the fridge" milk and yogurt, and frozen berries.  If you want your CO not to harden, then you have to make sure your berries or fruit are fresh or thawed and make sure everything is room temp.  Kind of an inconvenience, but it works.  Or you can keep experimenting.  I like putting it in some hot apple cider, too.  It tastes almost like buttered rum cider. 

I make our smoothies with frozen berries & bananas.  As long as the coconut oil is melted, you have the smoothie whizzing along at a good speed with everything else already smooth & you pour the coconut oil in slowly it works great.  At least it does for me.  It makes it nice & creamy.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 06:20:20 AM by linemansgirl »
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2007, 06:31:57 AM »
I'll give it a try.  I'm not too thrilled about it as I don't really like the taste - bleck.  It's okay in small doses but coconut flavored shakes - GROSS! 

I don't use berries in my kefir--too expensive.  Juice and peanut butter was gross, so I use just plain kefir, sugar and vanilla.  Haven't had any luck with honey yet - same problem - too cold.  Don't much like the taste of honey either -  :P
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 06:33:28 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2007, 07:07:29 AM »
Wholefoodtoday.com has Garden of Life organic coconut oil at $11.17 per 16 oz jar - and free shipping.  :)

My overall feeling about this, after reading the whole thread is to not do a "diet" but to eat well and add the coconut oil to our diet, along with other healthy fats.

I'm thinking: nuts, whole unprocessed milk, cheese, cream, etc... beef, fish, etc... and to continue eating whole grain breads, raw or lightly sauteed veggies in the form of salads and stirfry, while minimizing processed sugar intake, and excessive carbs.

Plus adding coconut oil, and real coconuts if I can. My kids and I both LOVE coconut balls:

Flaked, unsweetened coconut (equivalent of 1 bag)
1 can of unsweetened condensed milk whipped with
2 eggs
Some sort of natural sweetener to taste (your preference)
2 tablespoons (about) (sorry I never measure ingredients!) of flour
1/2 cup of chopped or slivered almonds
1/2 teaspoon of almond extract.

Mix well and form into balls with hands. Place on cookie sheet and bake at 350 until lightly browned. Cool and store in airtight container. Great with afternoon "tea"  with the kiddoes! (We love tea parties!)

-Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2007, 07:19:24 AM »
I'll give it a try.  I'm not too thrilled about it as I don't really like the taste - bleck.  It's okay in small doses but coconut flavored shakes - GROSS! 

I don't use berries in my kefir--too expensive.  Juice and peanut butter was gross, so I use just plain kefir, sugar and vanilla.  Haven't had any luck with honey yet - same problem - too cold.  Don't much like the taste of honey either -  :P

HB,
Have you tried raw agave nectar?  It is really good.  It's like honey in consistency, just a very little less sticky and thick.  but it doesn't have any flavor except sweet.  It tastes like plain old sugar to me.  It comes from a cactus.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2007, 08:19:24 AM »
My overall feeling about this, after reading the whole thread is to not do a "diet" but to eat well and add the coconut oil to our diet, along with other healthy fats.
I completely agree, but adding the coconut oil is the hardest part.

I don't think alot of the recipes in this book are realistic, especially if you don't like coconut  :-X and I just intend to up the fats and watch the calories and read lots of labels.

I ate some coconut oil in my oatmeal this morning.  Tolerable, but I still don't see myself having a bowl of oatmeal every morning.  I don't even eat breakfast.  We had it for lunch.  The kids usually eat some granola or a banana and some kefir. 

Even if I eat oatmeal every day, I won't be able to get more than 1 T per day and the book recommends 3 for my body weight.  *sigh*  Pick and choose.   :P
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2007, 09:45:56 AM »
Have you tried the pina colada smoothie? Somebody mentioned that... was it Dara?  I think it was frozen pineapple chunks blended with banana, kefir, agave nectar, and coconut oil (poured in liquid so that it blends well). I haven't tried it yet, but intend to as soon as I get a new blender -

My blender got knocked off the counter and broke yesterday.   :'(  It was a five dollar garage sale special from the 1970's. Gabe bought me a Blend Tec off Ebay today  :D.  Hurray! I should have knocked off my old one months ago.  ;) :o ;D

We also had eggs and coconut oil today - I thought it was yummy - and so did the family. I bet it would be good whipped with honey as a replacement for "honeybutter."

I'm rambling...

Rebekah

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2007, 09:47:34 AM »
We also had eggs and coconut oil today - I thought it was yummy - and so did the family. I bet it would be good whipped with honey as a replacement for "honeybutter."

I'm rambling...

Rebekah
cooked or blended?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2007, 10:04:28 AM »
cooked or blended?
  Geez, HB, I know I'm a freak, but that's a little over the top, don't you think?
 The eggs should either be cooked in the oil, or have the oil drizzled over them (we also melted cheese ontop of the eggs) or both.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2007, 10:08:02 AM »
cooked or blended?
  Geez, HB, I know I'm a freak, but that's a little over the top, don't you think?
 The eggs should either be cooked in the oil, or have the oil drizzled over them (we also melted cheese ontop of the eggs) or both.

Who's a freak? 

Raw eggs are good for you.  I thought maybe you were adding them to your smoothies. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2007, 01:31:10 PM »
Wholefoodtoday.com has Garden of Life organic coconut oil at $11.17 per 16 oz jar - and free shipping.  :)

I was wondering if anybody could tell me if the LouAna's brand of coconut oil at walmart is any good.  It says 100% pure all natural.  I'm brandnew at this coconut oil thing, so I'd like some advice.  Thanks!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2007, 01:43:26 PM »

I was wondering if anybody could tell me if the LouAna's brand of coconut oil at walmart is any good.  It says 100% pure all natural.  I'm brandnew at this coconut oil thing, so I'd like some advice.  Thanks!
It's overprocessed and mostly neutral.  Here's a thread on healthy brands of coconut oil.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3699.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2007, 01:59:27 PM »
Thanks, HB.  Sometimes I'm too impatient to check several threads. :-[

YoopreMama

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2007, 03:37:15 PM »
I'm so glad I like coconut!  I'm eager to increase my use of it.

I like the Good Earth Tea, too, it's sweet & spicy, but I don't think mine has anything artificial in it.   ???  Better go check!

I've been reading about detox and the liver...there's a connection there w/ not having the right fats and gaining weight.  I'm going to try and request this book from my library!  Or check out www.half.com.