Author Topic: Eat Fat Lose Fat???  (Read 76081 times)

Offline leslieincali

• Adept
Eat Fat Lose Fat???
« on: July 18, 2006, 05:31:59 PM »
Anyone follow this plan with success? I have tried but have hit a few snags. I'd love to chat about them with anyone that's tried the diet. Leslie
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 05:06:50 AM by leslieincali »

Offline servantgirl

• Adept
Re: Eat Fat Lose Fat???
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 07:31:26 PM »
I started it, but then hit a roadblock due to "life" and haven't got back on it yet, although I still do have my morning cup of tea w/coconut oil each day and  generally haven't eaten a lot. I think it was just starting to work when I stopped, or maybe I am just being hopeful. At any rate I think my hair has stopped falling out like crazy. I thought I would be bald soon the way I was losing it! So that gives me some confidence that maybe it will work for weight loss. If it does it will be a flat out miracle. I have never lost weight in all my born days. No yo-yo-ing or anything, regardless of how little I eat, what type of food, what exercises I do, etc. But I adore Sally Fallon and Mary Enig. I totally trust their research and so I am really praying for this to be the answer.
Tell me about your experience.
Jen
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Offline leslieincali

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 05:00:52 AM »
Hi Jen,
Nice to "meet" you. Well, I tried it for a while, but I had some trouble sticking to it. For one thing, 1.I had trouble getting 1 1/2 T of coconut oil down my throat! 2.It was expensive to follow their menu suggestions 3. My hubby does not like the taste of coconut. He doesn't mind if the coconut taste is masked(like in their yummy peanut sauce). If I could find some less expensive, more everday type recipes, I think I'd do better. We do have a source for raw milk, but it's $8/half gallon.  :o I was spending over $1000 dollars a month for groceries. My husband does not mind spending money on good food as we do have a big family and live in a super expensive area, but not if he has to eat coconut every day!! ;D We do have a store called trader joe's here where I can get the sprouted bread for less than $2 a loaf. Have you made the beef stock? I'm a little intimidated that, but would like to try it as I'm pretty sure I have arthritis. Well this is getting long. Thanks for chatting. Leslie 

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 06:48:19 AM »
The only way I like to "take" coconut oil is blended in a fruit smoothie. Makes it taste tropical! (You can freeze pinapple chunks for the pina colada flavor...)
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline leslieincali

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 07:53:21 AM »
The only way I like to "take" coconut oil is blended in a fruit smoothie. Makes it taste tropical! (You can freeze pinapple chunks for the pina colada flavor...)

Yes, I do that. Usually just coconut milk though. I don't have smoothies everday though. They reccomend for the weight loss to take up to 2 T three times a day. :P(that's me gagging)

Offline felmleyfam

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 08:11:52 AM »
 :'(diddo on gagging on the coconut oil. If you buy young coconuts (they have a white shell around them not brown and hairy) the taste is better but you have to cut them open etc. The young coconuts are easier to get into than the brown hairy ones. My friends use the refined coconut oil but then it seems almost pointless, right? I have the extra virgin and I don't take it anymore...even in the smoothies it gets to me.
happy wife & momma ! When people say, "you have your hands full," I say, "and my heart!!!" It changes their negative attitude into a positive one in a few seconds flat

Offline servantgirl

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 07:29:40 PM »
At first I felt really nauseated after taking the coconut oil, which surprised me because I thought I would be able to handle the fat. I do eat butter and fatty meats, after all, LOL!

Anyway I realized that I needed to work up to  the suggested amount. After I got there, I had two problems, either I was so not-hungry that I didn't want to eat, or I accidentally ate too may calories for the weight loss guidelines. (Or some of my DH's cereal got in my way!)  ;)

Once I got the rhythm down, (took about a week) I started to feel like something was happening. Then I stopped. Oh well.

I did not make the recipes in the book, my DH would also balk at coconut in his food. So I just took the oil in tea and ate some coconut meat from a fresh (brown) coconut every day. Other than that I did make stocks since I am in that habit already. And I just ate good meats, veggies, salads, fruits, etc. No grains except ezekiel bread and brown rice, a little each day. I hope to go back to this next week. I will keep you posted.
Jen
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Offline leslieincali

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 07:06:07 AM »
Jen,
That sounds like a good plan. sometimes I would have shooting stomach pains after drinking the oil. She mentioned this is the book and suggested drinking a little apple cider vinegar in water before. That was nastier than the oil. My husband and kids did really like the coconut peanut sauce and they like the coconut in smoothies. I put it in cornbread last night and noone noticed. I am going to do the master cleanse next week and then start back up with this eating plan. I spent last week on vacation in TX and need a good clean out! :o Leslie

Offline leslieincali

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 05:23:41 AM »
I got my book out this morning. They(Fallon and Enig) don't seem too impressed with the master cleanse. I think I'll do the water cure and start adding the Lose Fat principles in until I can researxh the master cleanse a bit more. I can't afford to jump right back into the diet until payday!!!

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 11:51:41 AM »
I have ordered the Eat Fat, Lose Fat book, and it is on its way, but in the meantime I would like to start taking 1 Tablespoon of the coconut oil a day.  WIll this have much effect?  I am hoping to correct an underactive thyroid among other things.

Also, I have coconut oil purchased from Walmart Luanna brand, which I believe is refined.  Is it a waste of time to use this for this purpose?

Thanks!
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 05:07:26 PM »
I started taking about 2 tbsp. of coconut oil about a year ago in March. It was the Garden of Life brand. I didn't use this for cooking (bought cheaper stuff for that). At that time I didn't know it was supposed to help you lose weight. I found that I was less hungry, it regulated my metabolism, and within 3 months I had lost 20 lbs. Since then, I have read Eat Fat Lose Fat also, and although I haven't tried the exact plan, I can definitely believe that their plan will work.

But I don't think you need to use their plan to lose weight. Just use coconut oil in your cooking. Save up and buy a huge 5 gallon bucket of good quality coconut oil. It's really expensive, but it will last a long time. I use mine for bread, soaked granola, stir-fry, smoothies, etc. One of my favorites is to eat a tablespoon drizzled over my eggs (over-easy) in the morning (or in the winter, I put a spoonful on the eggs and it melts). The coconut oil I cook with (Nutiva) doesn't seem to strongly flavor most foods. But then, I love to eat it right off the spoon (well, Garden of Life anyway).

Since last summer, my weight has stabilized. I haven't lost any more, but then I haven't been exercising like I should either.  ;D  Coconut oil is just far superior to other cooking oils healthwise. I think it's definitely worth working into your diet.

Also, I have coconut oil purchased from Walmart Luanna brand, which I believe is refined. Is it a waste of time to use this for this purpose?
Thanks!

I think that the Luanna brand is ok to cook with, but it won't have the same effect on your thyroid that the unrefined extra-virgin organic stuff will have. I'm sure it isn't organic.  I wouldn't throw it out, though. Refined coconut oil has a higher smoke-point, so you can use it more for things like frying, if you do that kind of cooking. I really like homemade french fries cooked in coconut oil. This is the only kind of oil that it is safe to fry with, in my opinion. Most other healthful oils have lower smoke points. When an oil hits its smoke point it begins to form free radicals. I heard at a Weston Price meeting that unrefined coconut oil has a smoke point of 365 degrees, and refined coconut oil has a smoke point of 425.

Wow, I guess this got long. Sorry!  :) Just don't want anyone to give up on coconut oil!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 05:09:25 PM by Amey »

Offline stevia mama

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 07:11:56 PM »
I have a question or two about coconut oil.???  I have been consuming it (about 3 Tbsp. a day) for about two weeks and lately I've noticed that off and on I get that yucky feeling in my throat with mucous like a cold is coming on, but then it goes away.  Is this a sign of detox maybe?  In addition, I've been using it on my face and I've been breaking out.  Anyone have similar symptoms with coconut oil?  I read that some people have to start out with very small amounts because they can detox big time!

By the way, where do you buy your 5 gallon bucket Amey and how much does it cost?  I bought a small jar of Nutiva for $14!!!  Yikes!  I hate to think what the big one costs. :o
As my middle daughter and I walked into a rather smelly public bathroom she said in a sing songy voice, "I smell something I like to eat. . .eggs!"

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 06:02:19 AM »
I have a question or two about coconut oil.???  I have been consuming it (about 3 Tbsp. a day) for about two weeks and lately I've noticed that off and on I get that yucky feeling in my throat with mucous like a cold is coming on, but then it goes away.  Is this a sign of detox maybe?  In addition, I've been using it on my face and I've been breaking out.  Anyone have similar symptoms with coconut oil?  I read that some people have to start out with very small amounts because they can detox big time!

By the way, where do you buy your 5 gallon bucket Amey and how much does it cost?  I bought a small jar of Nutiva for $14!!!  Yikes!  I hate to think what the big one costs. :o

I never had any trouble with mucous or skin breakouts, but I think I did start out with less. The only thing I have heard of with starting out with a lot is *ahem* digestive tract...disturbances. But I wouldn't call myself an authority on the subject. Maybe somebody else out there knows?

I got my coconut oil from Nutiva's on-line site. I think at the time it was $225, which works out to $45/gal. We also bought it when they had a sale and you could get free shipping. Right now I see the price is $235, but they are out of stock.

http://nutiva.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23

Good coconut oil is DEFINITELY NOT CHEAP. Maybe as demand rises, the price will fall??? (wishful thinking, there) I think at one time I figured out how much this ($225) works out to per smaller container, but I don't remember what it was. Except that it was less than what we could get it in the store. How many ounces of coconut oil are in a gallon? I just looked...there are 40 lbs. of coconut oil in 5 gallons. That's 640 ounces. That works out to $9.91 per 29 oz. container, which is the size we used to buy at the store. I think we were paying $18 or so for that amount before we went bulk. (If you were buying the smaller 15 oz. size, that would be $5.27 per container)

HTH  :D

p.s. It took me a lot longer to figure those prices out than it took you to read them. haha ;D

Offline greenbean

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 06:17:12 AM »
I just thought that I would chime in about price of coconut oil -
<a href="http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/cgi-bin/Main.pl?AID=079749&BID=30>Mountain Rose Herbs[/url] sells a certified organic virgin/unrefined coconut oil for $27 per gallon - this is the best price that I have found!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 01:56:30 PM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2006, 06:27:06 AM »
I just thought that I would chime in about price of coconut oil -
<a href="http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/cgi-bin/Main.pl?AID=079749&BID=30>Mountain Rose Herbs[/url] sells a certified organic virgin/unrefined coconut oil for $27 per gallon - this is the best price that I have found!
They are out of stock.  Must be the best deal in town.  Since I can't order it, I can't find out what the shipping costs - any idea?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 01:56:16 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

PMESguy

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 06:55:51 AM »
I have ordered the Eat Fat, Lose Fat book, and it is on its way, but in the meantime I would like to start taking 1 Tablespoon of the coconut oil a day.  WIll this have much effect?  I am hoping to correct an underactive thyroid among other things.

Also, I have coconut oil purchased from Walmart Luanna brand, which I believe is refined.  Is it a waste of time to use this for this purpose?

Thanks!

Yes, unfortuneately the refined conconut will not have anywhere near the healing properties as raw, organic oil will. I've tried many brands (Garden of Life, Spectrum, Tropical Traditions) and the best I've ever used is Wilderness Family Naturals (www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com) traditional Philippine variety (the also sell a fermented variety as well). The WFF oil tastes like fresh coconuts. I buy it by the gallon it's so good :)

If you have trouble eating the oil plain, try putting a tablespoon or two in some warm water to liquify it first and then add it to yogurt. Try to find a high quality yogurt (raw if you can get it....try www.realmilk.com to find a source near you) that is not loaded with sugar. Stonyfield and Wallaby are ususally commercially available and are curtured from organic whole pasteurized milk. Not the best but it will do.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 06:58:10 AM by PMESguy »

Offline berthday

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2006, 10:02:58 AM »
Ok I am wondering what the deal is on taking coconut oil and losing weight??  Also I did a search on the water cure and could not find anything that described what it is,how you do it and what it's for .OH YEAH, I am new at this !! ;D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2006, 10:24:16 AM »
Also I did a search on the water cure and could not find anything that described what it is,how you do it and what it's for .OH YEAH, I am new at this !! ;D
http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,369.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Beth in Idaho

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 11:04:48 AM »
I have been reading this book for about a month and do take the coconut oil and have not lost weight maybe gained a bit but I think it is because I am using the coconut oil for baked goods!

The one thing I was trying to figure out is....Do you not eat whole wheat bread on this diet? Even if you soak the grains?

Beth in Idaho

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 02:00:21 PM »
Has anyone here actually lost any weight on this diet?  I have been doing the high healthy fats with a lot of coconut oil and I do feel really good.  But I haven't lost a stinkin' pound!!  >:(  Now, what is weird is, I look thinner?  My clothes feel more loose and the first thing that I noticed were my rings slid around my fingers.  I am assuming that perhaps I am losing water and not weight.  What do you all coconut experts think?  Wether I lose weight, or not, I will continue eating this way for it makes perfect sense and I feel better on it.  I was just hoping the pounds(those extra 10-15) would just fall off. 

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 03:45:02 PM »
I haven't real followed the diet plan just added more butter and coconut oil in the last month. Actually I am probably consuming more calories.
I have the same thing happening as healthyin ohio. Haven't lost one pound(not gained either ;)) and yet I am almost TWO dress sizes thinner and feel better. My dh says I look thinner too. I do think that the cellulite and baby flab is disappearing!!! I am IMPRESSED! I hope I lose lbs. too but am not obsessed with that if I feel/look good.

Offline Beth in Idaho

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 04:36:00 PM »
So is anyone who is losing....eating bread? or any baked goods made with coconut oil...even those were are not actually losing but your clothes are getting loose?

For those who are not following the diet but....eating more coconut oil...how are you eating it and how much are you eating? I need to re adjust what I am doing....I made up this delicious coconut organic choc chip recipe with oats and it is so good...I think I might need to stop making them though cuz they are not low in calories but got healthy ingredients! Beth in Idaho

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 05:03:55 PM »
Okay share with me everyone, because if I order one more book hubby is going to have my head  ;D !  I've read several posts on the coconut oil ..could you please fill me on the premise of the diet.  Also...could I just continue eating as I am and take the coconut oil?  Send a pm if you think it's too long on here.  I'm really interested!  I have to get something to replace my shortening (which I talked about on another thread) ..should I replace it with coconut oil??

Thanks bunches. C
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline Kansas Girl

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 06:33:42 PM »
Okay share with me everyone, because if I order one more book hubby is going to have my head  ;D !  I've read several posts on the coconut oil ..could you please fill me on the premise of the diet.  Also...could I just continue eating as I am and take the coconut oil?  Send a pm if you think it's too long on here.  I'm really interested!  I have to get something to replace my shortening (which I talked about on another thread) ..should I replace it with coconut oil??

Thanks bunches. C
I would like to know the gist of the book too!!!!  -KG
having a baby" border="0

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2006, 07:24:30 PM »
I lost actual weight after adding coconut oil to my diet (165 to 145). I didn't change anything else about my diet, other than I had already cut out all the other vegetable fats and sugar. That's more of a lifestyle change than a diet thing, though. I still used honey and ate bread (wasn't soaking my grains yet when I lost the weight). I wasn't really setting out to lose weight with the coconut oil; I was just trying to improve my health. But somehow it happened anyway. I didn't even know it was happening really, because we don't have a scale.  ;) It's possible that somehow the different brands of coconut oil make a difference? It seems that these days there are quite a few brands that are really good. Garden of Life brand is what I was using when I lost the weight. I only used that brand at the time because I thought it tasted the best out of all the ones I had tried.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2006, 09:10:29 PM »
I lost actual weight after adding coconut oil to my diet (165 to 145). I didn't change anything else about my diet, other than I had already cut out all the other vegetable fats and sugar. That's more of a lifestyle change than a diet thing, though. I still used honey and ate bread (wasn't soaking my grains yet when I lost the weight). I wasn't really setting out to lose weight with the coconut oil; I was just trying to improve my health. But somehow it happened anyway. I didn't even know it was happening really, because we don't have a scale.  ;) It's possible that somehow the different brands of coconut oil make a difference? It seems that these days there are quite a few brands that are really good. Garden of Life brand is what I was using when I lost the weight. I only used that brand at the time because I thought it tasted the best out of all the ones I had tried.
I found several stores close to me that carries this.  Thanks, I'll have to check into this.  What other brands have you tried?
  My favorite herb book!!

burlsgirl

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2006, 01:08:36 AM »
Amey,
How much coconut oil were you consuming per day?

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2006, 07:30:32 AM »
Okay share with me everyone, because if I order one more book hubby is going to have my head

Ha ha! LOL!  Look on ebay or amazon.com, first.  I found a copy of the Maker's Diet on ebay for $1.00 and only 99 cents for shipping.

I use coconut oil in everything.  All my baked goods(muffins and breads), to fry eggs in or saute veggies.  I even use some on my bread before I butter it.  I use it in smoothies and such. 
I have increased my healthy fats as well(avocados, whole butter, raw milk cheese, eggs, meats, coconut milk).  So, I definitely have more energy, but you would think the weight would come off.  But since I am "thinning out" first, maybe the weight will come off soon, too. 
I would like to add the cod liver's oil, but have to search the thread for that lemon and orange flavored kind that Nickole and Pennie, I think, recommended.
I tried a mint flavored from the health food store and gagged on it!!  Blech!!  :P

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2006, 08:10:35 AM »
Just the words 'Cod Liver Oil' churn my stomach!  I guess my grandmother used to make her kids take it, so it was a taboo item in our house growing up.  My mom would gag just telling the stories about having to drink it.  Blech is right!

So...if anything calls for 'shortening' I can just use Coconut Oil instead?  I'm so confused on the different types too.  If used for frying or let's say, popping popcorn, would you use one kind..then for baking, etc, use a diff kind?

Okay that's it!! We need to have a WellTellMe weekend with speakers set up on the different aspects of healthful living with demonstrations, etc!!!  HB - Get on this will you?  Oh wait, I'm not being paid to boss people around  :-\  I'll try again, HB, do you think that this would be a possibility?  Thank you so much for your time and hard work!!  (Okay that's better)!
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2006, 08:15:53 AM »

So...if anything calls for 'shortening' I can just use Coconut Oil instead?  I'm so confused on the different types too.  If used for frying or let's say, popping popcorn, would you use one kind..then for baking, etc, use a diff kind?

Well, this is what I do:  whatever oil a recipe calls for I use coconut oil.  If it calls for 1 cup of vegetable oil for pancakes, muffins, breads, etc.  I just use CO.  I don't have a lot of recipes that call for shortening, so I would think that if your coconut oil is in it's "hardened" stage then it would have that solid state as shortening would.