Author Topic: Post-concussion syndrome  (Read 4978 times)

Offline Badgermom

• Learning
Post-concussion syndrome
« on: December 10, 2007, 11:26:36 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with this?  I have a  22 year old nephew who suffered 4 or 5 concussions 3 years ago in high school sports.  Two were in football the others were in non-contact sports.  He got the last couple of them in situations that would not normally cause a concussion.  He just seemed very susceptible (sp?) to them at that point.  Anyway, 3 years later he is still having significant problems.  He requires 12 or so hours of sleep at night and often takes a couple of naps during the day as well.  His mind is almost always foggy and he can not do anything physically or mentally demanding.  This is a guy who was valeditorian and was known for being extremely tough mentally and physically.  He has seen conventional doctors, a homeopath and chiropractors, and maybe more.  If I remember right, he also has joint problems and moves like his body is 40 years older that it really is.  Any thoughts on what to try?  Do these sound like post-concussion problems or could the problem be something else that we are missing since we are assuming it is concussion related?  By the way, it has not been this bad during all of these 3 years.  He has been able to do some college work and has seemed to be improving at times, but the bad times always come back, and now he is as bad as ever.  Thanks for any help.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
Re: Post-concussion syndrome
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 04:38:14 PM »
I would assume that if he's seen doctors they would have checked for Lyme or any liver dysfunction?  That's what leaped to my mind.  ~L

Offline Siege

• My avatar is my youngest frying deer tongue!
  • Adept
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 04:53:40 PM »
Yes, see if they have looked into Lyme or other tick borne illnesses (Lyme is the most famous, but there are others). My 6 yr ds just had Lyme, however, we caught it in time and he only had to be on the antibiotics for a short while. Another thing to look into is West Nile (hubby had this 3 yrs ago). CJ

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 06:53:47 PM »
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 07:01:10 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with this?  I have a  22 year old nephew who suffered 4 or 5 concussions 3 years ago in high school sports.  Two were in football the others were in non-contact sports.  He got the last couple of them in situations that would not normally cause a concussion.  He just seemed very susceptible (sp?) to them at that point.  Anyway, 3 years later he is still having significant problems.  He requires 12 or so hours of sleep at night and often takes a couple of naps during the day as well.  His mind is almost always foggy and he can not do anything physically or mentally demanding.  This is a guy who was valeditorian and was known for being extremely tough mentally and physically.  He has seen conventional doctors, a homeopath and chiropractors, and maybe more.  If I remember right, he also has joint problems and moves like his body is 40 years older that it really is.  Any thoughts on what to try?  Do these sound like post-concussion problems or could the problem be something else that we are missing since we are assuming it is concussion related?  By the way, it has not been this bad during all of these 3 years.  He has been able to do some college work and has seemed to be improving at times, but the bad times always come back, and now he is as bad as ever.  Thanks for any help.

I didn't see this when it was first posted. It actually reminds me of how I get from eating gluten & casein. You might check into it. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom