Author Topic: Fudge Recipes  (Read 37107 times)

Offline LKS

• Master
Re: Fudge Recipes
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2007, 01:07:41 PM »
Thanks for the tips!  Can't wait to experiment more--ours is tasty...chopped cherries would be yummy!   ;D

I should have scored it while warm, though, it was really hard to cut.  Was it too soon to make it for Christmas?  It's stored in a Ziploc in the fridge (strips).  Can it be frozen?

My 8 x 8 was lined w/ wax paper, which worked well, but the edges were not square, so I had lots of small pieces sliced off to make pretty strips.  Guess where those landed... ::)

Yooper,
This may be too late for this year but....next time after the fudge sets up turn the whole pan out onto a cutting board, peel off the wax paper and use a butcher knife to cut it into strips and then squares. Way easier than trying to cut it in the pan. HTH
LKS

YoopreMama

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2007, 01:59:00 PM »
Thanks, LKS!  I will note that for, um, Valentine's Day?  :D

Offline joyful_mommy03

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2007, 02:48:42 PM »
Anyone get rave holiday reviews on fudge they gave out??

We're making the second fudge recipe in this thread right now!!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2008, 05:33:02 AM »
Well I reviewed my own fudge and it was yummy! I like it way better than the usual kind of fudge that you have to make with a candy thermometer and marshmallow creme. It's so easy (SarahK's recipe I mean, back at the beginning). I crushed up 6-8 candy canes and mixed them in and sprinkled them on top.

Offline joyful_mommy03

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2008, 12:12:32 PM »
It is definitely the EASIEST recipe!!!  And usually all the ings are on-hand for those cravings!!

Anyone add cream cheese to the mix?  I love cream cheese in just about anything and I was wondering if that might make it creamier or better in anyway.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2008, 06:55:24 AM »
OOoo, cream cheese is a good idea, you just wouldn't want to stir it in too much. You could soften it enough to spread all over the bottom of the pan, then pour the fudge on top. Or add it, softened, on top of the fudge, and then drag a knife through to make it swirly.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2008, 06:17:55 AM »
I'm reviving this thread, officially!!    Okay, maybe NOT so officially, but reviving at least. 

I have orders for all sorts of Christmas goodies that I make/bake and fudge is one of them.  I make the mint fudge that I posted on page one of this thread, regular fudge, and this year I have a couple of orders for peanut butter fudge, which I have never made. 

I am looking for some ideas or suggestions for good peanut butter fudge recipes.  Don't need to be healthy, either, because the folks that buy my stuff are NOT health-food people, they are real sugar junkies.   :P    I will take their money gladly and go spend it at the herb supplier and Trader Joe's for MY family.  ;)
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2008, 07:45:20 AM »
Ladyhen,

You can use the totally cheater recipe & have FABULOUS fudge. Basically it is 2 cup of chips (choc, Pbutter, butterscotch, whatever) 1 can condensed milk, 1 tsp vanilla. Melt the chips & milk together, stir in the vanilla & pour into 8x8 pan, refrigerate until firm. This is so easy, so good & I get major compliments. (I never divulge my "method"  ;) ) I make a really yummy double decker choc/pbutter fudge w/ this. Try it! It is soooo easy !

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2008, 07:53:32 AM »
LKS, 

Are you telling me that this recipe works using peanut butter chips, too?  That would be awesome!   I never thought of trying it with the pb chips. 
I just talked to my Mom about this and we were trying to think how I could package the fudge for delivery.  She suggested getting the cheap foil pans with lids from the dollar store to pour the fudge into and sell just in those pans!  They have clear lids, and this would be a lot less work if I don't have to take the fudge out and cut it.  I could just cut waxed paper to fit the bottom of the pan to make removal easy.  Love it!   ;D
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2008, 11:14:46 AM »
Yeppers. Ank kind of chip will work to make any flavor. I give away pounds of this at Christmas time & people are always telling me I should sell it. It's soooo easy to make I feel like I'm hiding something  ;D  The double decker fudge looks really "complicated" & tastes super good. You should try that one. Happy fudging  ;)

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2008, 11:46:44 AM »
Ok, LKS, this recipe says THREE cups.  Do you use TWO if using PB Chips?  I'm planning on making this tonight.  I should use THREE if I'm doing Choco.Chips, right?

This is a fool-proof, non-fudge conissuer type of fudge.

3 C choco chips
1 can sweetened, condensed milk (you may have a homemade substitute)
dash salt

Melt all together.  Stir in:

1 t vanilla (or a yummy, happy glug)
optional nuts to taste

Pour into lined (parchment, wax or foil - or maybe butter!) 9x9 or 8x8 pan.  Cool to solidify. Invert on cutting board and chunk as desired.

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2008, 12:44:15 PM »
My recipe is 2 cups chips to 1 can milk no matter what type of chip. Experiment & see what happens  :D

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2008, 01:05:37 PM »
Thanks.  Maybe I'll be daring and do .........  2 1/2!   ::)   ;D

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2008, 01:32:56 PM »
I saw this thread and just had to give it a go.  I have never made fudge before.  Is it supposed to be one gooey glob? ???  I guess I pictured it more pourable in my mind.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2008, 01:40:54 PM »
This is a fool-proof, non-fudge conissuer type of fudge.
..... Stir in:

1 t vanilla (or a yummy, happy glug).......
I am off to make this now!  ;D
Ok, I am gonna try this too. I'm a little worried though cause it seems too easy....... ::)
LOL...don't worry it's not too easy  ::).  I forgot the vanilla until it had already been poured in the pan to cool!   :-[  I worked it in w/ a butter knife, but good thing it's our "test" run.   :D  Ours is cooling, too...in the frig, huh?  It won't cool too quickly?    ???

LOL!  Forewarned is Fair-warned, right?!  I forgot the vanilla, too!  Oops.  And remembered it too late to even stir it in w/ a butter knife.  Oh well.  I'm sure it'll be ok.

And, lovingmom, mine was sort of a gooey glob, too.  I ended up using about 2 1/2 cups of chips.  It seems like 2 would've worked better, but if SarahK does it with 3, that must work too.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2008, 03:17:13 PM »
I saw this thread and just had to give it a go.  I have never made fudge before.  Is it supposed to be one gooey glob? ???  I guess I pictured it more pourable in my mind.

Yep - mine is a thick mass.  I spread it in the pan and let it harden and that's it.
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2008, 03:46:15 PM »
Well, it turned out yummy.  I used 2 cups of dark choc. chips and almost 1 cup of andees mint pieces and about 3/4 can of cond. milk.  I just used what I had and it turned out great.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2008, 03:53:23 PM »
Andes mints, mmmm.  I have some, too.  Didn't think of that. 

I sprinkled choco chips and nuts in the pan and a few caramel candy chunks (in a small spot-for me) then poured my 'goo' over it. 
I used a whole can of sw.con.milk, about 2 1/2 c. semi-sweet chips, and of course forgot the vanilla!  :)

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2008, 05:28:10 PM »
I made some peanut butter, some chocolate, and some pb with chocolate on top.    It's all cooling now.   (and I remembered the vanilla!)

I really want to try the rocky road and some with Andes mint chips spread on top.  Maybe try those tomorrow. 

This is fun!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2008, 11:13:24 AM »
I'm reviving this thread, officially!!    Okay, maybe NOT so officially, but reviving at least. 

I have orders for all sorts of Christmas goodies that I make/bake and fudge is one of them.  I make the mint fudge that I posted on page one of this thread, regular fudge, and this year I have a couple of orders for peanut butter fudge, which I have never made. 

I am looking for some ideas or suggestions for good peanut butter fudge recipes.  Don't need to be healthy, either, because the folks that buy my stuff are NOT health-food people, they are real sugar junkies.   :P    I will take their money gladly and go spend it at the herb supplier and Trader Joe's for MY family.  ;)
I don't know if I posted it yet, but my aunt's peanut butter fudge is the bomb.  I'll check and post it later if it's not already here.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2008, 11:27:23 AM »
4 to 4 1/2 cups sugar
10 to 12 oz evaporated milk
1/2 to 1 cup butter
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
7 oz (or 1 cup) marshmallow fluff
1 cups chopped walnuts (optional)

Prepare 13x9x2 cake pan by lining with wax paper. 

Stirring constantly (this stuff scorches easily), bring milk, sugar, and butter to boiling over medium heat until candy thermometer reads 234O (softball stage).  Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips, marshmallow fluff, vanilla and nuts until well blended.  For best texture, my cookbook recommends that you beat mixture by hand for 1 minute.  Spread into prepared pan and cool slowly (overnight is best).  If you cool too rapidly (fridge, freezer, back porch, etc.) it will be edible but the top of the fudge will turn white and look less desirable.  When mostly cool, but before hard, score or cut with butter knife into desired pieces to make it easier to break once completely hardened. 

If I read my directions correctly, we make the peanut butter fudge the same way as the chocolate, but we add 1.5 cups of peanut butter to the mix.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2008, 11:36:36 AM »
hb,

That is so close to the peanut butter fudge recipe that I made today!   It tastes just wonderful!  It is, certainly, more work than the recipe that you just melt chips and condensed milk, but I believe that the end product justifies the effort.  No doubt you could use canned evap milk for a creamier taste.  I also have a similar recipe to yours for choc. fudge.  I think I'll be making these.  Here it is;

PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE

INGREDIENTS

* 4 cups white sugar
    * 1 cup milk
    * 1/2 cup butter
    * 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
    * 12 ounces peanut butter
    * 2/3 cup all-purpose flour

DIRECTIONS

1. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish, set aside.  (line pan w/foil)
   2. In a saucepan, combine sugar, milk, and butter. Bring to a boil, and cook 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the marshmallow creme and peanut butter. Gradually stir in the flour. Spread into the prepared pan, and let cool.

notes;   
1.   Stir sugar, milk, butter until it comes to boil; turn heat down and DON'T stir while timing

2.   mix the marshmallow creme and peanut butter in KitchenAid while waiting for sugar to boil.

3.  After pouring into pan, top with chocolate chips, melt and spread.  OR, roll into balls and dip in melted chocolate.   OR, roll in cocoa powder. 

Offline BettaGurl3

• I used to be BettaGurl3
  • Master
  • I LOVE HORSES!
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2008, 11:50:48 AM »
This is our FAVE fudge recipe, it is a LOT like HB's. Of course it is not healthy for you.... It has WHITE sugar!! :o :D 
4 1/2 c. Sugar
13oz.Evaporated Milk
 Stirring occasionally, bring to boil for 6 min.
DO NOT LET BURN!
1 1/2c. semisweet choc. chips
9oz. bittersweet choc chips or 9 Baker's bittersweet choc. squares
 1/2 lb. Butter
 Melt in microwave, or in saucepan.
7oz. Marshmallow Cream
1 TB vanilla
Mix on medium speed for 15min. Grease 9x13 pan with butter.  Add nuts if want to and cool.  Enjoy!! ;D
 This recipe is sooooo GOOD! ;D ;D Delicious! -bettgurl3

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2008, 12:17:22 PM »
Okay. Everybody just needs to understand FUDGE is NOT a health food  ;D If it is good for you in any way YOU MADE IT WRONG  ;)  (just my opinion of course  :D )

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2008, 12:31:12 PM »
Well, DUH!  Who wants health food named fudge?    :D  You're so funny, lks. 

bettagurl, your recipe sounds really good!  I love bittersweet chocolate so I'm intrigued by the thought of making fudge with it. 

This is REALLY getting out of hand.  I can't possibly make this much fudge!   :P  What will my children think!     nevermind

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2008, 12:38:42 PM »
I am sure they will sacrifice & eat all that you make. Kids are unselfish like that  :D

Offline BettaGurl3

• I used to be BettaGurl3
  • Master
  • I LOVE HORSES!
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2008, 12:49:14 PM »
  bettagurl, your recipe sounds really good!  I love bittersweet chocolate so I'm intrigued by the thought of making fudge with it. 
Trust me, it is!! We had gotten some fudge at a bakery once, and it didn't compare!! :o 8) ;D It has such a smooth, creamy taste!!  -bettagurl3 :)