Author Topic: Fudge Recipes  (Read 43807 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Fudge Recipes
« on: December 10, 2007, 07:48:40 AM »
4 to 4 1/2 cups sugar
10 to 12 oz evaporated milk
1/2 to 1 cup butter
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
7 oz (or 1 cup) marshmallow fluff
1 cups chopped walnuts (optional)

Prepare 13x9x2 cake pan by lining with wax paper. 

Stirring constantly (this stuff scorches easily), bring milk, sugar, and butter to boiling over medium heat until candy thermometer reads 234O (softball stage).  Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips, marshmallow fluff, vanilla and nuts until well blended.  For best texture, my cookbook recommends that you beat mixture by hand for 1 minute.  Spread into prepared pan and cool slowly (overnight is best).  If you cool too rapidly (fridge, freezer, back porch, etc.) it will be edible but the top of the fudge will turn white and look less desirable.  When mostly cool, but before hard, score or cut with butter knife into desired pieces to make it easier to break once completely hardened. 

My favorite herb book!!

Offline SarahK

• Master
Re: Fudge Recipes
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 08:31:50 AM »
This is a fool-proof, non-fudge conissuer type of fudge.

3 C choco chips
1 can sweetened, condensed milk (you may have a homemade substitute)
dash salt

Melt all together.  Stir in:

1 t vanilla (or a yummy, happy glug)
optional nuts to taste

Pour into lined (parchment, wax or foil - or maybe butter!) 9x9 or 8x8 pan.  Cool to solidify. Invert on cutting board and chunk as desired.
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 08:35:55 AM »
Mine is a similar recipe to SarahK's. 

Peppermint & chocolate fudge

Put all ingredients together in a small crockpot on low temp.  Melt, stirring from time to time.  Pour into lined 8x8 pan when melted, cool, and cut.

3 C. chocolate chips
    1 can sweetened, condensed milk
    1/2 stick butter
    1 tsp. vanilla

Once it is melted, we like to add about a 1/2 cup of washed and dried, chopped peppermint leaves. 

YUMMY!   ;)
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 09:23:25 AM »
That sounds nice and easy but does your family revolt when biting into chewy green mint leaves in their fudge? Or is it somehow not noticeable?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 06:11:07 PM by JuliaofSunnyside »

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 09:39:55 AM »

3 C choco chips
dash salt

optional nuts to taste

Pour into lined (parchment, wax or foil - or maybe butter!) 9x9 or 8x8 pan.  Cool to solidify. Invert on cutting board and chunk as desired.

My mom used to make the same fudge but she added small marshmallows and the nuts for  Rocky Road Fudge. We loved it!
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

YoopreMama

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 11:06:47 AM »

3 C choco chips
dash salt

optional nuts to taste

I am off to make this now!  ;D

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 11:24:45 AM »

3 C choco chips
dash salt

optional nuts to taste

Ok, I am gonna try this too. I'm a little worried though cause it seems too easy....... ::)
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 12:10:23 PM »

3 C choco chips
dash salt

optional nuts to taste

Ok, I am gonna try this too. I'm a little worried though cause it seems too easy....... ::)

Ok, the fudge is officially cooling in the fridge. But it tasted pretty good when I licked the spatula!  ::) :D

YoopreMama

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 12:32:55 PM »

3 C choco chips
dash salt

optional nuts to taste

LOL...don't worry it's not too easy  ::).  I forgot the vanilla until it had already been poured in the pan to cool!   :-[  I worked it in w/ a butter knife, but good thing it's our "test" run.   :D  Ours is cooling, too...in the frig, huh?  It won't cool too quickly?    ???

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 12:40:32 PM »

3 C choco chips
dash salt

optional nuts to taste

LOL...don't worry it's not too easy  ::).  I forgot the vanilla until it had already been poured in the pan to cool!   :-[  I worked it in w/ a butter knife, but good thing it's our "test" run.   :D  Ours is cooling, too...in the frig, huh?  It won't cool too quickly?    ???

I don't know! Is the fridge bad??! I don't know what I'm doing here! You people have to tell me these things! Ahhh! *running to grab the fudge from the fridge* Ok, its on the counter now. Is that where its supposed to be??  ::)

Offline nexis777

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 12:53:27 PM »
By the way, this TOTALLY works, and it's awesome!!! "Eagles" brand sells kits like this in stores (I've purchased several from Walmart  ;D) It's that same recipe. They give you all the ingredients. Anyway, they tell you to let it cool in the fridge.... I've always cooled mine in the fridge. It's faster and absolutely delicious!!!
Does that help?

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 12:54:54 PM »
By the way, this TOTALLY works, and it's awesome!!! "Eagles" brand sells kits like this in stores (I've purchased several from Walmart  ;D) It's that same recipe. They give you all the ingredients. Anyway, they tell you to let it cool in the fridge.... I've always cooled mine in the fridge. It's faster and absolutely delicious!!!
Does that help?

Ok, I'm going to go put mine BACK in the fridge, unless anyone else can shed any light on this issue?

YoopreMama

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 03:16:59 PM »
THANK YOU!  :D  I've seen mine dry out in the frig, but I put MINE in after I saw YOURS was there.  Ha ha...Tag, you're it!  Where is it now?   ::)

P.S.  I don't know what I'm doing w/ fudge either.  What kind of chocolate chips did you use?  I used semi-sweet...I wonder about other flavors...milk chocolate?  Mint?   ???

Ours tastes good.  NO nuts, though (in the fudge)  ;) !!

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »
THANK YOU!  :D  I've seen mine dry out in the frig, but I put MINE in after I saw YOURS was there.  Ha ha...Tag, you're it!  Where is it now?   ::)

P.S.  I don't know what I'm doing w/ fudge either.  What kind of chocolate chips did you use?  I used semi-sweet...I wonder about other flavors...milk chocolate?  Mint?   ???

Ours tastes good.  NO nuts, though (in the fudge)  ;) !!

Lol! Mine is in the fridge still. Its for plates of goodies so we haven't tried it yet. I used semi sweet too, but I also wondered if milk choc would taste good. Or even P.B.??

No nuts in ours either. I feel they ruin the chocolate. Hee hee!

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 03:30:49 PM »
My son (the Bicycle Boy - 11yo now) makes it now - I don't much anymore.  He usually gets done and found he only used the Sw. Cond milk and the chips - forgetting all the rest.  We are plain, boring semi-sweet chip folks but we have stirred in nuts cuz we like 'em.  Other chips should be fine.  You could do half white chips and half chocolate & swirl 'em.  We have stirred in crushed candy canes.  They get a bit sticky right next to the cane pieces, but it tastes good.  YOu could also let it partially harden and make a layered look.  Or sprinkle stuff on the top and press it in.

I cool it in the fridge or the garage.  It will dry out after a few days and get that 'old chocolate chip'look about them - the off color, slightly whitened on the edges.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

YoopreMama

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 04:05:23 PM »
Thanks for the tips!  Can't wait to experiment more--ours is tasty...chopped cherries would be yummy!   ;D

I should have scored it while warm, though, it was really hard to cut.  Was it too soon to make it for Christmas?  It's stored in a Ziploc in the fridge (strips).  Can it be frozen?

My 8 x 8 was lined w/ wax paper, which worked well, but the edges were not square, so I had lots of small pieces sliced off to make pretty strips.  Guess where those landed... ::)

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 04:22:14 PM »
I have a problem with mine....its incredibly bitter. Any ideas why? I am wondering if I cooked it to long. I added marshmallows in at the last moment and then had to leave it on the heat a while to get them to melt. Any one else's turn out really bitter?

YoopreMama

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 04:30:43 PM »
I'm sorry!  :( 

Hmm....bitter.  It wasn't bittersweet chocolate was it?  Or Baker's chocolate?  Did you taste-test it when you scrapd the pan?  Did you use sweetened consdensed milk?  Being the novice that I am, I have no idea why it'd be bitter...especially with added sweetness of the marshmallows.  Is it a "burnt" bitter?  Did YOU remember the vanilla?  :D

Offline nexis777

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 05:18:58 PM »
Yeah, I would think it would make a difference whether the chocolate chips were semi-sweet, and if it was sweetened condensed milk. I can look in my package  ::) (eyeroll is because I even have a package) to see exactly what kind everything is if you wish.

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 07:02:41 PM »
I think the problem was that I burnt it. they were semi sweet and the milk was sweetened and I added vanilla (seriously, who forgets the vanilla! Sheesh.  :o :D :D :D ;D ;)). So I am guessing that I overcooked it. I added some crushed up peppermint sticks to the top and that seemed to help a little.

I can look in my package  Roll Eyes (eyeroll is because I even have a package) to see exactly what kind everything is if you wish.

You may have a package, but we are actually making and testing it, sooo ya, we are the naughty ones. Well I am anyway.  ::)

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2007, 07:28:18 PM »
Upon closer examination, I did NOT have sweetened evap milk. That could be part of the problem.

Offline nexis777

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2007, 07:31:04 PM »
 ;D God was punishing you for splurging    hahahahahahaha.... ok, I'm TOTALLY just kidding (ask me what I had for lunch today  ::))
 ;)

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 07:36:12 PM »
Lol! Ask me what I'm eating now! I am doing so bad this week....or month ::)

Offline nexis777

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007, 07:43:14 PM »
Yeah, you're telling me!! And I'm eating for at least two  :P

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007, 07:45:09 PM »
Yeah, you're telling me!! And I'm eating for at least two  :P

At least two? How many do ya got in there?  :o

Offline nexis777

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2007, 07:49:50 PM »
I'm pretty sure there's one little tyke in there, but hey, you never know. I probably shouldn't even entertain thoughts of twins though, hubby says he's gettin' fixed if there are twins in there... not sure how serious he is, but I wouldn't put it past him. Although he does tease me often that it's twins...
Ok, ok.... HB is going to kill us for going so far off topic, lol

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2007, 07:55:08 PM »
I'm pretty sure there's one little tyke in there, but hey, you never know. I probably shouldn't even entertain thoughts of twins though, hubby says he's gettin' fixed if there are twins in there... not sure how serious he is, but I wouldn't put it past him. Although he does tease me often that it's twins...
Ok, ok.... HB is going to kill us for going so far off topic, lol

Yes, but if you have twines, you will need to make a double batch of fudge. So, we were still on topic.  ;D We love you HB!  :-* done now  :-X

Offline nexis777

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2007, 07:57:05 PM »
It's twins then  :D ;D (don't tell, but I have some fudge that I made quite a while ago in the back of my fridge, it's calling my name.....)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2007, 10:25:52 PM »
Does that help?

Ok, I'm going to go put mine BACK in the fridge, unless anyone else can shed any light on this issue?
The fridge shouldn't hurt it, BUT if you cool fudge too quickly, it may turn white and look less presentable.  Tastes okay, but not as pretty.  If you allow it to cool slowly overnight, then put it in an airtight container in the fridge, it should stay dark, pretty and yummy for quite awhile.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 10:28:44 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2007, 10:41:41 PM »
Does that help?

The fridge shouldn't hurt it, BUT if you cool fudge too quickly, it may turn white and look less presentable.  Tastes okay, but not as pretty.  If you allow it to cool slowly overnight, then put it in an airtight container in the fridge, it should stay dark, pretty and yummy for quite awhile.

Thank you for the clarification! As it happens, it has spent quite a bit of time both out of the fridge and in.  ::)