Author Topic: Holiday Drinks/Hot Buttered Rum  (Read 4523 times)

Offline screasy

• Adept
  • Trying my best....
Holiday Drinks/Hot Buttered Rum
« on: December 08, 2007, 03:25:57 AM »
OK, let me start off by saying that I am a T-totaler, and have never drunk any alcohol at all, but I have recently become interested in Hot Buttered Rum as a Christmas drink. 

I work with a lady who makes it each year (a good Baptist lady), and loves it.  She says she doesn't put as much rum in as a lot of the recipes (1/2 a shot?) so the alcohol content is not very high.  Also, since you are adding boiling water to it, wouldn't most of the alcohol boil off?

Have any of you ever had this drink?  What do you think, and how does it taste?  Since I have never had any alcohol, what kind of rum do you use?

PS:  How much is half a shot?

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: Holiday Drinks/Hot Buttered Rum
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 07:15:17 AM »
We LOVE hot buttered rum apple cider on cold days.  BUT..... we don't use the rum, sorry.  We do drink wine, though. 
Anyways, I will post my "alcohol" free buttered rum cider recipe for those who may want to make it.

I make a half a gallon at a time.

8 cups apple cider
generous 1/2 tsp. of whole cloves
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
3-4 cinnamon sticks

1.  Heat all ingredients to a boil and simmer for 10 min.
2.  Strain cider and fill mugs.
3.  In each mug, add 1/4 tsp. rum extract, 1 TBSP brown sugar, and 1 TBSP of butter. (Must be butter, no substitutes.)

If you do decide to use rum, I think you can put 1-2 TBSP per cup. 

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 08:04:36 AM »
OK, let me start off by saying that I am a T-totaler, and have never drunk any alcohol at all, but I have recently become interested in Hot Buttered Rum as a Christmas drink. 

I work with a lady who makes it each year (a good Baptist lady), and loves it.  She says she doesn't put as much rum in as a lot of the recipes (1/2 a shot?) so the alcohol content is not very high.  Also, since you are adding boiling water to it, wouldn't most of the alcohol boil off?

Have any of you ever had this drink?  What do you think, and how does it taste?  Since I have never had any alcohol, what kind of rum do you use?

Half a shot would be half a shot-glass so it would equal about 2 tablespoons.  But check that out with someone else as well ...
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 01:51:07 PM »

Half a shot would be half a shot-glass so it would equal about 2 tablespoons.  But check that out with someone else as well ...

That would be 1/2 oz, 1 Tablespoon, or 3 teaspoons.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 01:53:01 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 02:07:47 PM »

That would be 1/2 oz, 1 Tablespoon, or 3 teaspoons.  ;D

Yep - go with what HB said!  She knows best  :D
DH just told me that a shot glass is not the same as a shot - they make them bigger and they can be different sizes all over the place anyway...
He says a shot is about 1oz ... now I have absolutely no idea how much that is (being Kiwi) but I'm sure you must do.
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 05:06:58 PM »

I used to work at a place in WI that made hot butter cider that was very popular.  The recipe hio listed sounds like it would be similar, but this didn't have any rum to my knowledge.  I know it at least had br. sugar and butter, and probably some extra spices too.  I don't use alcohol very often in cooking, but I'm quite certain though that the alcohol would not cook off or evaporate in that short of time.  That's just my understanding, anyways.
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Nickole

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 07:54:12 AM »
I am going to try HIO's recipe.  I have some rum extract that is about 10 years old, but it still smells yummy, and I think extracts could survive a 100 year time capsule just fine.  I have Sucanat which is brown-sugar-ish-tasting.  Would that work?  Or a little molasses added to my raw sugar?     

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 07:57:59 AM »
I have Sucanat which is brown-sugar-ish-tasting.  Would that work?     

I don't see why not.  Sucanat or raw sugar smells very molasses(brown sugar) like to me, anyways.  I am craving this stuff since I put this on here!  ;D

Nickole

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 07:59:14 AM »
I have Sucanat which is brown-sugar-ish-tasting.  Would that work?     

I don't see why not.  Sucanat or raw sugar smells very molasses(brown sugar) like to me, anyways.  I am craving this stuff since I put this on here!  ;D

I have never had it.  I am going to blame you if I get addicted and become a porko!