Author Topic: Hot Toddy [Toddies]  (Read 12216 times)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Hot Toddy [Toddies]
« on: December 06, 2007, 02:55:49 PM »
and the hot toddy threads that at least some of you drink alcohol!

Okay, are you serious?  What is a hot toddy?  We have a thread for this?  Gotta go look this up. 

Offline Julia

• Master
Hot Toddy [Toddies]
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 03:11:47 PM »
I don't remember the exact subject, only that HB was telling us how to make a hot toddy.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Hot Toddy [Toddies]
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 06:36:22 PM »
and the hot toddy threads that at least some of you drink alcohol!

Okay, are you serious?  What is a hot toddy?  We have a thread for this?  Gotta go look this up. 

That would be equal parts whiskey, lemon juice and honey, warmed of course.  Great for sore throats and congestion.

A hot toddy is a drink that is usually associated with relieving the symptoms of colds or sore throats. The hot toddy is a spirit-based drink with an added sweetener, such as honey or sugar. As well as being used for medicinal purposes, the hot toddy can also be used to help a person relax in the evening. It is also used when people have been exposed to cold weather or have incurred a shock to the system.

There are varied accounts of the origins of the hot toddy. Popular thinking holds that the hot toddy came from Britain by way of India. In India, the juice of certain palm trees was called tari. This juice was made into a dark, sweet alcoholic drink. The English in India at the time replicated the drink by using spices, fruit, and alcohol and introduced it to Britain.

Variations on the drink itself are abundant. The main alcohol used is usually some form of whiskey, but different types of alcohol are acceptable. A hot toddy can be used to relax after a shock, and this effect is mainly accomplished by the alcohol.

A hot toddy can also be used to relax a person before bed time, and this again is accomplished by the alcohol's affect on the system. The alcohol is mixed with hot water and a sweet substance, such as sugar or honey. If you have a sore throat, then the honey will coat the throat and stop the irritation. The alcohol will also have a soothing effect that will help a person sleep.

The hot toddy has long been used as a cheap home medicine. If you look at the ingredients in many cough mixtures, you will notice that alcohol is one of the main ingredients used. Alcohol is absorbed very quickly into the blood stream and has a pain relieving effect. Citrus fruits are often used in hot toddies as well. The vitamins in citrus fruits are thought to help combat the common cold.

Spices are another additive used to make a hot toddy. Cinnamon and cloves are very popular as a way to give the drink some extra flavor. The main liquid in a hot toddy is usually hot water, but variations include lemonade, cider, tea, and coffee.

Once the hot toddy has been warmed and mixed, all that is left is to drink it. Some people claim that sipping it slowly has a more beneficial, warming effect. Others claim that knocking the drink back in one gulp gives a jolt to the system that is helpful if taken after a shock. Of course, the amount of alcohol used is the main factor in whether the drink is relaxing or a stimulating kick to the system.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 06:38:23 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
Re: Hot Toddy [Toddies]
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 04:36:14 AM »
So THAT is what it is!  ::)  I did a search yesterday, and nothing came up.  Now, I know what it is.  THanks.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 06:26:47 AM »
I'm glad to read that, because I think my husband would be more likely to drink one of those than one of my herbal teas. I could put cinnamon in it and at least it would be somewhat antiviral. At least it might keep him from taking cough medicine. His mother is British so it might bring him back to his roots.

It's funny, though, I thought HB had mentioned them somewhere else before. That your grandma used to make them or something, HB?

Look what this site has gotten me into! I've already got a bottle of vodka in the closet for making tinctures, I'm brewing kombucha in the basement, now I'm adding rum to our eggnog (that was my idea), I've considered making dandelion wine or something similar, and now I'm going to have to buy some whiskey!

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
    • Spark This Marriage - Christian marriage & romance boutique
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 06:42:35 AM »

I got a recipe off of Emerill Live two days ago called Coquito. It is sort of like a coconut eggnog.
The problem is it has 2 cups of rum in it. TWO!  :o
I was hoping that I could still eliminate the rum without mucking up the ratios in the recipe? Or is there some other way to substitute? Maybe I could get away with more dairy in it? Or just part of the rum?
I would like to share it with my kids, but getting them "kicking & stumbling drunk" is not in my plans!

Ideas?

COQUITO

3 egg yolks
15 ounces cream of coconut
15 ounces evaporated milk
8 ounces condensed milk
1/2 pint vanilla ice cream
2 cups white rum (recommended: Bacardi)
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

In a large blender combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour into a pitcher and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Serve chilled.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 06:53:12 AM »

Maybe I could get away with more dairy in it? Or just part of the rum?
I would like to share it with my kids, but getting them "kicking & stumbling drunk" is not in my plans!

Ideas?

I would add an extra cup of milk to it, and maybe put some rum flavored extract.  I know, not the healthiest, since extracts are made from propelyne glycol.  But I LOVE the taste of rum flavoring in the winter.  But not the taste of real rum.  Blech!  :P

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 06:54:16 AM »
Umm....maybe HOMEfree's reply should I have been on the eggnogg thead.  Oops.  I thought that is where I was?!  Ha ha!  Sorry, HB!  ::)

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 07:28:15 AM »

Look what this site has gotten me into! I've already got a bottle of vodka in the closet for making tinctures, I'm brewing kombucha in the basement, now I'm adding rum to our eggnog (that was my idea), I've considered making dandelion wine or something similar, and now I'm going to have to buy some whiskey!

Since I actually know you in person, I'm laughing here!  :D  You ladies have tainted her!

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 03:46:34 PM »

I got a recipe off of Emerill Live two days ago called Coquito. It is sort of like a coconut eggnog.
The problem is it has 2 cups of rum in it. TWO!  :o
I was hoping that I could still eliminate the rum without mucking up the ratios in the recipe? Or is there some other way to substitute? Maybe I could get away with more dairy in it? Or just part of the rum?

Ideas?

COQUITO

3 egg yolks
15 ounces cream of coconut
15 ounces evaporated milk
8 ounces condensed milk
1/2 pint vanilla ice cream
2 cups white rum (recommended: Bacardi)
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

In a large blender combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour into a pitcher and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Serve chilled.

My husband is Puerto Rican and he likes this drink without the rum.  I haven't made this myself, but I would just leave the rum out and maybe add a little more milk.  Before I added more milk I would taste it to see if I thought it was needed or not.  Just an idea.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
    • Spark This Marriage - Christian marriage & romance boutique
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 03:59:11 PM »

THANKS a million!!!  :-*
I am so excited... I really love coconut anything.

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 04:42:44 PM »
I have used Hot Toddies for years only I use Brandy.   It really helps a person sleep when they are fighting a cold and it seems the cold doesn't last as long.    :D
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

YoopreMama

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 09:31:52 AM »
Bumping for HinOH.   ;D

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 03:30:43 PM »

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 07:07:37 AM »
it will warm you up!

:D Em