Author Topic: Enchiladas Recipes, Please  (Read 5949 times)

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
Enchiladas Recipes, Please
« on: December 05, 2007, 06:47:57 AM »
I need a beef enchiladas recipe.  I have a pound of sirloin, whole wheat tortillas, and some cans of mild green enchilada sauce and green chiles. Now what?  Any recipes?  All the ones I can find are or chicken enchiladas, do I do it the same just with the beef instead?

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Enchiladas Recipes, Please
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 06:55:18 AM »
I need a beef enchiladas recipe.  I have a pound of sirloin, whole wheat tortillas, and some cans of mild green enchilada sauce and green chiles. Now what?  Any recipes?  All the ones I can find are or chicken enchiladas, do I do it the same just with the beef instead?

I use the same basic method and recipe for beef and chicken enchiladas.  We like to add some grilled or sauteed onion and bell peppers to the beef ones. 

With beef, just be sure that you cut the meat in small pieces and across the grain of the meat to have it be tender. 

HTH
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Enchiladas Recipes, Please
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 07:11:11 AM »
I use the same recipe for chicken and beef.  I always precook the meat for mine.

For chicken:  I boil and debone and hand shred the chicken.
For beef:  I cook it like a roast, and shred it.

Then I add enchilada sauce (I've yet to learn to make my own), sliced black olives, chopped onions, and shredded cheese. And mix well.  It will have the consistency of a sticky meat loaf.

Then I pour more sauce in the bottom of a cake pan about 1/8-1/4 inch deep.  Then stuff corn tortillas and place side by side until pan is crammed full.  Corn tortillas are much easier to roll if you dip them in hot grease--like in a fryer--for a few seconds first.  You can use tongs and do several at a time.  You're not trying to cook them, just soften them, so if you miss an edge or two, no biggie.  Careful, they'll be hot, but more pliable and less likely to crumble.  Then I pour more sauce on top.  I make sure every space is covered to prevent browning of the tortillas.  I top with a generous layer of shredded cheese and usually garnish with jalepeno slices.

Recipes for Enchilada Sauce
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 07:26:47 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 07:16:32 AM »
hey your link for enchilada sauce takes me back to here!! is this some crazy joke? crazy lady....
I use the same recipe for chicken and beef.  I always precook the meat for mine.

For chicken:  I boil and debone and hand shred the chicken.
For beef:  I cook it like a roast, and shred it.

Then I add enchilada sauce (I've yet to learn to make my own), sliced black olives, chopped onions, and shredded cheese. And mix well.  It will have the consistency of a sticky meat loaf.

Then I pour more sauce in the bottom of a cake pan about 1/8-1/4 inch deep.  Then stuff corn tortillas and place side by side until pan is crammed full.  Corn tortillas are much easier to roll if you dip them in hot grease--like in a fryer--for a few seconds first.  You can use tongs and do several at a time.  You're not trying to cook them, just soften them, so if you miss an edge or two, no biggie.  Careful, they'll be hot, but more pliable and less likely to crumble.  Then I pour more sauce on top.  I make sure every space is covered to prevent browning of the tortillas.  I top with a generous layer of shredded cheese and usually garnish with jalepeno slices.

Recipes for Enchilada Sauce
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 07:27:00 AM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 07:27:29 AM »
hey your link for enchilada sauce takes me back to here!! is this some crazy joke? crazy lady....
I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about.   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 07:30:20 AM »
thanks! ;D

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 07:31:03 AM »
HA-sure! funny thing was it took me 4 times before i realized it was the same thread ::)! thank you!
I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about.   ::)

Offline Marisa

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 05:13:04 PM »
Chicken enchiladas in green sauce-I make them for entertaining
Here's my mom's recipe she's from Mexico.
canola oil
corn tortillas
boiled and salted chicken or rotissery chicken
2 cans of mild green sauce
block of monterey jack cheese
First fry corn tortillas in oil all 12 and each on a paper towel. Set aside
then assemble tortilla with shreaded chicken,cheese and some sauce inside the tortilla roll into enchilada. Pour the rest of the sauce on the assembled enchiladas in pan and top with cheese.
You can sprinkle diced green onions on top.
Bake at 350 until cheese is melted

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 04:38:49 AM »
From all the recipes you gals gave and from looking on line I came to the conclusion that "enchiladas" can be made a number of ways - I guess not actually holding to "true" Mexican cuisine - but nonetheless - it seems as though if you have filling wrapped in tortillas and baked with sauce and cheese it can be called "enchiladas".  LOL  So here's the ones I made last night - and they were very good!

1 pd ground round (sorry, it wasn't sirloin after all)
1 small onion
1 can pinto beans
1 sm can green chiles
2 cans green enchilada sauce
shredded cheeses
sliced black olives
whole wheat tortillas

I browned the beef with the onion cut up and some salt and pepper.  Then I added 1 can of the enchilada sauce, the beans, a handful of shredded cheddar, and the chiles and heated through.  Then I poured 1/2 can of the other sauce in the bottom of a "greased" pan.  Then I rolled a spoon or two of the beef/bean mixture in each tortilla and laid it seam side down in the pan.  When it was full, I topped with the remaining sauce from the can, some more shredded cheese (I had some with 3 different peppers mixed in with it!  yum!) and the black olives.  I baked it for 30 min at 350 degrees. 

Even my picky eaters thought it was pretty good!  Dh liked it enough to take it for leftovers to work so it must've been decent!  Thanks for all the tips ladies!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 05:56:06 AM »
Well, if we are just posting "Enchilada" Recipes now, I have a couple...

Enchilada Pie

2 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 can Rotel tomatoes with chilies
1 (1-1/2 oz.) package taco seasoning mix [I make my own]
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 (14 oz.) package corn tortillas
1 can cream of chicken soup [I make my own]
3/4 cup milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Combine beef, onion and garlic powder in large skillet. Cook over medium heat until meat is browned, stirring to crumble. Drain well. Add next 7 ingredients; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Tear each tortilla into 8 pieces. Place half of tortilla pieces in a 9" x 13" pan, top with meat mixture. Arrange remaining tortilla pieces evenly over meat mixture. Combine soup and milk in a small bowl, mixing well. Pour over tortillas. Sprinkle cheese evenly over top. Bake 350 for 45 minutes.

THREE CHEESE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS

These are THE BEST!!! I got the recipe from Steph's Country Kitchen Goodness (the website is down right now or I'd post a link).

1/3 cup olive oil
12 corn tortillas (6-inch)
2 (10 oz) cans red sauce
3 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 or 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup chopped green onions

1. Heat oven to 350°.

2. In 8-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot. With tongs, dip each tortilla in hot oil, turning quickly to soften, about 3 seconds; set aside.

3. In large bowl, stir together cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Stir in salt, cumin and pepper. Stir in chicken, 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, Cheddar cheese and green onions.

4. Pour enchilada sauce in shallow dish (pie plate works well). Dip tortillas in enchilada sauce to lightly coat. Place chicken mixture in tortilla; roll.  Place tortillas, seam side down, in a lightly greased 13x9-inch baking dish. Cover with remaining enchilada sauce.

5. Bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle remaining Monterey Jack cheese over enchiladas and bake 3 minutes longer. Garnish with sour cream and/or guacamole, if desired.
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!