10 (13.7%)
pancakes
0 (0%)
something different everyday
38 (52.1%)
toast (with various toppings)
4 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: What do your kids eat for breakfast?  (Read 39766 times)

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
Re: What do your kids eat for breakfast?
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2007, 06:33:03 PM »
[quote author=miff aka Missi Thanks 4mh.  IMPersuadd said that she can eliminate milk.  Does that mean water or does the kefir not count as milk?  I know I ask too many questions, but I have lots to learn.   ;)

Missi
[/quote]

Missi,

Sorry to delay in getting back.  I use water with 1 or 2 tbsp of plain goat yogurt for soaking flours or grains.  I also do this for oatmeal or other hot cereals.

hth,
Lori
I aM PERSUADeD

Romans 8:38-39
II Timothy 1:12

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2007, 11:09:17 AM »
Something y'all ought to try, as an everyonceinawhile treat with breakfast, is a glass of raw milk with a smidgen of maple syrup in.

My son asks for this ALL the time.  We call it "sweet milk" in our home.
(OMG, I just noticed that we eat a "Whiterock" thing.....what is next?)  :-X
:-X :P :-X :P
  My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2007, 01:44:52 AM »
Cream of Millet!  YUM!

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2007, 04:34:16 AM »
I like what Debi Pearl said it CTBHHM about give them peanut butter toast every day on a paper towel, and save cereal for a treat on the weekend. Too many choices confuse their spirit. 
When I am in bread bakng mode, 2-3x per week, then we get the toast thing going.  I need a bigger toaster!  I think the Voeller girs said one time that they did many slices at once in the oven.  That's clever - we've done that with frozen waffles.
My mom was one of those people who always got up around 4 am, so she'd often have a cooked breakfast before we left for school at 7.  I didn't realize then what a treat that was.

When I make homemade breads, we do this often for a nighttime snack (like dessert).  Cut the bread into thick slices, honey it and prinkle with cinnamon and then toast in oven or broiler a few minutes.  Great way to get them to gobble up the leftover bread befroe (or just after) it stales.  Otherwise it's pig food...

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2007, 09:21:24 AM »
Even better yet, spread some coconut oil on the bread and then follow with honey and cinnamon and broil. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2007, 09:38:03 AM »
This is what my kids eat most frequently

Oatmeal - from Organic Steel Cut Oats
or
Eggs with one of the following w/w Toast/Grits/Raw Fried Potatoes
    - our own chicken eggs

Occasionally
pancakes or waffles
or sausage/bacon with eggs
omelets
granola
W/W toast with PB
egg custard (milk or almond milk for the dairy sensitive)

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2007, 10:34:33 AM »
Hey, chopchop, how do you make the egg custard?

YoopreMama

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2007, 10:41:31 AM »
Yes, recipe, please!  :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2007, 01:26:27 PM »
aren't all custards made with eggs ???  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2007, 02:01:28 PM »

I didn't ask what's in the custard, but HOW its made. ;D ;)

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2007, 02:43:43 PM »
I dunno if you have the No Greater Joy calendar for 2007, but the biscuits/buns they make in November look amazing.

I didn't see this online anywhere, anyone interested in posting it?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2007, 04:39:51 PM »

Blame it on chopchop.  She said it first.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2007, 04:59:15 PM »

Blame it on chopchop.  She said it first.

Yer so funny. :D And I think you missed us- having fun this evening aren't you? :)

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2007, 06:54:00 AM »
ROFLOL!   You guys are way to funny!

Ok, yes all custard has eggs.  Here is the recipe for said
"Egg Custard"   ;D
This is the NORMAL egg and milk version:

4 eggs
1/4 cup of honey (or 1/2 cup sugar or whatever sweetener you use)
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional, but we love the nutmeg)

Beat eggs, add honey, salt, vanilla and nutmeg.  Scald milk.  Remove about 1 cup of scalded milk and pour in a slow stream into the egg mixture while wisking.  (did that make sense)  Wisk egg mixture into remaining scalded milk. Pour into custard cups or other oven proof cups and set in a baking pan.  Place n a preheated 325 oven and pour water into the pan around the cups of custard.  Bake for 40 min or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.  DO NOT let the water in the pan boil or you custard will not be silky and smooth. If it boils your oven is too hot.  When the custard is set I usually open the oven and carefully pull the rack a few inches forward and then leave it open to cool a bit before trying to remove the pan with all that hot water.  FWIW!
Chill thouroughly and enjoy!

Here is the non-dairy recipe:
Non-Dairy Maple Custard (Gluten-Free, Soy-Free)
We can't seem to find the origins of this recipe, but it is fantastic!

Serves: 6

* 1 Tbl. honey
    * 2 teaspoons cornstarch
    * Dash of sea salt
    * 3 Eggs
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
    * 2 Cups almond, or rice milk
    * 2 Tablespoons real maple syrup

Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Beat eggs; stir in sugar mixture and vanilla. Heat, but do not boil, "mik"; gradually stir into egg mixture. Pour 1 teaspoon syrup into each of six 6-ounce custard cups; tilt cups to coat entire bottom. Pour egg mixture into cups. Place cups in 13x9x2 inch pan; place in oven. Pour hot water into pan to within 1/2 inch of tops of cups. Bake at 350 F. about 45 minutes to 1 hour or until knife blade inserted near center of custard comes out clean. Remove cups from water.  refrigerate and serve cold.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 06:56:00 AM by chopchop »

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2007, 08:01:44 AM »
NO GREATER JOY Cinnamon Biscuits
Mix together 1/2 cup softened butter and 2 cups self-rising flour.  Stir in 3/4 cup  buttermilk.  Do not overstir.  Scrape out onto floured surface, sprinkle with flour, and lightly pat down.  Sprinkle onto the dough about 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup chopped pecans, and 2 tablespoons of cinnamon.  Fold dough over 3 or 4 times.  Don't over-fold.  Pat it down lightly, then, using a cup as a cutter, cut out your biscuits.  Bake at 450 for 8-10 minutes.  In a small bowl, mix 2/3 cup melted butter, 1 to 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/4 cup cream.  Pour over very hot cinnamon rolls.  Enjoy!

We plan to make them on Saturday morning to celebrate November!
I will substitute sucanat for the brown sugar, but the rest will be above.  Gotta love all that butter!

Offline Leat

• Adept
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2007, 08:08:56 AM »
Week days we usually have

fried egg and toast
oatmeal
pancakes
cereal;generic cheerios,cornflakes,granola
 Saturdays are usually breakfast burritos: sausage,fried potatoes,scrambled eggs,cheese all mixed together and wrapped in a tortilla.

Sundays I fix biscuits and gravy,sometimes with a side of hash browns.

For a special occasion (or when DH asks)
 I'll make cinnamon rolls.

Leat

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2007, 07:04:45 PM »
Here is the recipe for said
"Egg Custard"   ;D

Do you make this the night before, Chopchop? This Non-Morning-Person is depressed at the thought of getting up early enough to bake and chill it in time for breakfast. ;D  I am always looking for ways to get eggs inside of me.  :-[  I just don't like em.

We eat
cold cereal (yay for Trader Joe's)
hot cereal (discovering the crock-pot!)
toast, sometimes with eggs
yogurt, mixed with applesauce or homemade jam
fresh bread from the bread machine
cheese and fruit

Weekends we have our "big" breakfasts, french toast, Swedish pancake, breakfast meats, etc.

Our Swiss friends introduced us to Bircher Muesli. It is so healthy and so good, I think it is my favorite breakfast.

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2007, 07:12:14 PM »
We eat European breakfast a lot -- good bread with butter spread on it, and thinly sliced meat and cheese (like an open faced sandwich).  Yum!  We also love boiled eggs in egg cups, eaten with little spoons!

When we're in a hurry, we'll have raw granola or if we're in a real hurry, we'll have Atkin's shakes  :).

On the weekends we'll have pancakes with sausage. Or hubby will fry up a few pans of bacon.

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2007, 01:04:37 PM »
Do you make this the night before, Chopchop? This Non-Morning-Person is depressed at the thought of getting up early enough to bake and chill it in time for breakfast. ;D  I am always looking for ways to get eggs inside of me.  :-[  I just don't like em.

Goodness no!  I always make custard the day before or even several days before. We like to make custard to take with us when we travel. Something the kids can eat without spilling.  ;D  It also is great with muffins for "busy morning" breakfast.  I make the muffins ahead also, BTW.

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2007, 08:14:22 AM »
I make oatmeal for breakfast m-f then my husband likes to make pancakes or french toast on the weekends.  My kids really get sick of oatmeal and eat it so sloooooooowly.  I often have to set the timer and they eat it fast or get it for lunch.  Sometimes I make baked oatmeal for a change.  This morning my husband ate his and he had gotten up late so he didn't get the kids up.  As I was staring at the cold pan of oatmeal, I got an idea.  I made oatmeal cakes and the kids liked them. 
I mixed the oatmeal up with a couple of eggs, milk, syrup, cinnamon, salt, some bread crumbs and pepper.  Then I heated up some bacon grease in the skillet and fried little cakes of the oatmeal mixture up.  It tasted a lot like Potato Latkes and I served them with apple sauce and sour cream.  Of course I called them breakfast cakes, NOT oatmeal cakes.

Offline CAndy

• Adept
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2007, 04:18:56 PM »
We all eat together for breakfast and my DH thinks I am torturing him if he gets hot cereal.  They all think cold cereal is an expensive snack so we don't eat that, but I can get away with homemade granola in the summer.  Other than that we have some combination of  biscuits/toast/fried potatoes, sweet potatoes/pastries/grits/pancakes  and bacon/sausage patties or gravy/ham/steak,  and or eggs and sometimes fruit and about a half gallon of  milk.  Something that is heavy and takes a long time.  We do eat hot cereal once in a while if we are in a hurry to go do something.  If I make it very often my DH starts digging around in the refrigerator or for leftovers.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2007, 04:54:22 PM »
Our staples are fruit and yogurt or granola and yogurt.  We do have waffles at least 1 morning a week: the kids eat 1/2 each of a belgian style waffle folded over on itself with chocolate chips in the center and a bit of whipped cream on top.
We also have eggs and bacon (turkey) at least 1 morning a week.  This one is my favorite; I could eat an omelet everyday and be happy :)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2007, 06:31:12 PM »
We all eat together for breakfast and my DH thinks I am torturing him if he gets hot cereal.  They all think cold cereal is an expensive snack so we don't eat that, but I can get away with homemade granola in the summer.  Other than that we have some combination of  biscuits/toast/fried potatoes, sweet potatoes/pastries/grits/pancakes  and bacon/sausage patties or gravy/ham/steak,  and or eggs and sometimes fruit and about a half gallon of  milk.  Something that is heavy and takes a long time.  We do eat hot cereal once in a while if we are in a hurry to go do something.  If I make it very often my DH starts digging around in the refrigerator or for leftovers.

sounds like my hubby when i try to cook 2 big meals instead of 3 meals on sunday......fridge digging will begin about 2 1/2 hours after breakfast.  PB & J is not on his list of actual food either.   :-\  no rest for the weary cook!  ;D
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2007, 06:44:14 PM »
Our crew usually eats whole wheat toast with butter, honey and cinnamon.  Or oatmeal.  Occasionally I make muffins or an oven pancake.  We have eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc. for dinner quite often.  And if there are any leftovers they become breakfast the next morning.  I keep saying that one day I want to make a boat load of pancakes and freeze them, but it hasn't happened yet....  I love to cook, just not early in the morning.... :P

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »
My kids eat Weetbix most of the time and porridge when it's really cold.  If Daddy is making breakfast on the weekend then it's usually eggs, toast, bacon, tomatoes etc.
This is what Weetbix is - it's a really well known cereal in NZ and it's super healthy    :)

I found this at Trader Joe's and tried it! Actually it was called Weetabix there. Very good, the flavor reminds me of Grape Nut Flakes.

I also have to put in a recommendation for steel-cut oatmeal overnight in the crockpot! Great for when Daddy (or company) needs to leave early in the morning.

Offline Mrs. JDT

• Adept
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2007, 11:56:04 AM »
I don't think that anyone has mentioned this yet, and I think I am at the risk of grossing everyone out, but we usually reheat whatever we had for dinner the night before for breakfast. The usual breakfast foods (toast, cereal, oatmeal) don't fill any of us up. We end up being hungry an hour later. If we have a dinner meal that doesn't produce leftovers then I make eggs and toast, breakfast burritos or something like that.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2007, 12:06:49 PM »
Doesn't gross me out. I eat dinner leftovers for breakfast often & leftover pizza is mandatory for breakfast when it's around. My kids are older & we do a get breakfast on your own thing so for me leftovers are convenient & usually lower carb than typical breakfast foods. I try to eat lower carb & eggs don't always settle well on my stomach, esp first thing of the day. That said, one of our favorate easy dinners is fried potatoes & eggs. (So much for lower carb) That's my .02 on having leftovers for breakfast. Blessings ~herbalmom

YoopreMama

« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2007, 01:29:04 PM »
If I could have my way...I'd eat leftover cold hamburgers (minus the bun), pork chops, or cold pizza for breakfast several days of the week.  ;D

Offline GarlicMomma

• Adept
  • My dd took this one in late summer in TN.
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2007, 01:39:50 PM »
What we eat for breakfast:

Lots of time, leisurely breakfast:
     whole wheat waffles (I always make tons of leftovers of these and put in the freezer for later use.)
     eggs/corned beef hash (canned)/ grits/ bacon/ fruit
     French toast

Moderate amount of time breakfast:
     Pancakes (mix or homemade whole wheat)
     Muffins
     Sausage and Biscuits
     Eggs on Toast

Little bit less than moderate amount of time breakfast:
     Coco Wheats
     Oatmeal
     Grits
     Cream of Wheat
     Cream of Rice
     Instant biscuits (canned or freezer)
     Smoothie

The "you need to start school work now" amount of time:
     toast/bagel/biscuit with jelly/butter
     waffles or pancakes previously made and stored in the freezer
     yogurt
     coffee/hot chocolate/tea/milk
     cold cereal

Plus try to have them eat a piece of fruit, usually unsuccessful except for the smallest.

All of this is dependent on what is around the fridge/pantry and what hubby desires. Most of the time, it leans towards the bottom of the above list. I may make a very large breakfast meal for dinner when we have more time. Also, my hubby and now my oldest ds don't like eating much breakfast anymore.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2007, 11:36:46 AM »
Someone has probably said this, but, one favorite of ours is special toast.

Toast a piece of bread.
Slather with Coconut Oil.
Slather with Peanut Butter.
Slice Bananas on top.
Eat!

Toast a piece of bread.
Slather with Coconut Oil.
Slather with Peanut Butter.
Spoon Applesauce on top.
Eat!

See what a gourmet chef I am?    ;D