Author Topic: bread dipping.....  (Read 5167 times)

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
bread dipping.....
« on: July 18, 2006, 09:04:58 AM »
Any of you's ever go to an italian resturant and they served you italian bread with dipping sauce? Yum, yum, yum!
 Healthy and delicious. Unless you count the bread. :-\ Because you need a french baguette, or italian bread....Here's a recipe that i'm trying tonight.
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    1/2 tsp. chili pepper flakes
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/4 tsp. sea salt
    1 T. fresh parsley, or 1 tsp. dried
    1 T. fresh basil (planted in my garden, grew like crazy)
   Whisk together and refrigerate 3-4 hrs.
 Would love to have some more recipes. My dh. who's a great cook, just throws some herbs and spices together with some olive oil and viola! dipping sauce. Warm your bread in the oven, slice, and serve with the sauce on the side.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: bread dipping.....
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 09:13:19 AM »
You know, we have always eaten our bread this way!  Then, my hubby and I went to an expensive Italian restruant and they gave us this and I thought they copied my idea! :)  We just use olive oil, fresh ground pepper and sea salt.  But yours sounds really good!  I think I will have to try it the next time!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 09:16:09 AM »
Healthy and delicious. Unless you count the bread. :-\ Because you need a french baguette, or italian bread....

we used the soaked wheat flour recipe (in bread thread) and i baked it in two blobs on stoneware, then we just tore it up when it was warm and dunked it. delicious!  maybe i'm just used to it, but doesn't really taste like "whole grain" to me.  the kids loved it too.   8)
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 10:34:07 AM »
Try adding some fresh garlic and warming it in the olive oil with the spices.  mmmmmmm
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 11:26:28 AM »
Any of you's ever go to an italian resturant and they served you italian bread with dipping sauce? Yum, yum, yum!
 Healthy and delicious. Unless you count the bread. :-\ <snip>

That looks great!  My wife is right- the bread she makes is pretty good for dipping, although- I must confess- sourdough is outstanding for dipping!  Its the wine I drink with it, that some folks have the hang-up with.   ;D  Luckily I enjoy the deep red wines  :P

G

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 03:25:40 PM »
Try adding some fresh garlic and warming it in the olive oil with the spices.  mmmmmmm

If you grow your own garlic you can have a special treat before the garlic is ready to pull.  Snap off the garlic scapes (it grows up out of the top, spirals and has the garlic flower on the end)  chop off the flower part, chop the rest of the stalk into small pieces, and then we like to put it through our mini food chopper.  Put this in olive oil and it is - ooohhh my, hard to describe!  My 10 year old can't get enough of it.  I have never seen anything in gardening books about using this part of the garlic and it is a shame!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 05:42:26 AM »
If you grow your own garlic you can have a special treat before the garlic is ready to pull.  Snap off the garlic scapes (it grows up out of the top, spirals and has the garlic flower on the end)  chop off the flower part, chop the rest of the stalk into small pieces, and then we like to put it through our mini food chopper.  Put this in olive oil and it is - ooohhh my, hard to describe!  My 10 year old can't get enough of it.  I have never seen anything in gardening books about using this part of the garlic and it is a shame!

My MIL makes kimchee out of this. It's too strong for my tastes, but my teen and my hubby really love it.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 10:10:39 AM »

My MIL makes kimchee out of this. It's too strong for my tastes, but my teen and my hubby really love it.

What, or who, is MIL??  And can you tell me how he/she/it makes this?  I have tons of scapes that go to waste because we can't eat them fast enough.  Have tried freezing them in the olive oil, but it just isn't the same as fresh.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 10:55:41 AM »
dyperswyper,

We had the dip tonight with some bread.  MMMMmmm!!!!  Both of the kids ate it.  It really was a treat.  Thanks for sharing it.  It would also be an excellent marinade to put on sliced garden tomatoes and chunks of mozzarella cheese!  Happy dippin'

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 07:35:42 PM »

What, or who, is MIL??  And can you tell me how he/she/it makes this?  I have tons of scapes that go to waste because we can't eat them fast enough.  Have tried freezing them in the olive oil, but it just isn't the same as fresh.

MIL is "mother-in-law" and I will have to ask her.  I don't make it because I don't grow garlic.  I'm sure she won't mind telling me, but I'll warn you, her instructions are very inprecise.  I have to experiment with her recipes for awhile until I get them right and then write them down.  ::)
  My favorite herb book!!