Author Topic: Bladder leakage (?) in 7 year old girl  (Read 13159 times)

Offline prov31jd

• Wide Eyed
Bladder leakage (?) in 7 year old girl
« on: July 18, 2006, 04:33:20 AM »
One of my daughters, Rebekah, frequently complains of having the "drips" (her word!  :)) after urinating.  This either comes right after she's finished (that she feels she still has to go more, but nothing comes out but a few drops), or some time later my husband or I will see her sort of "pressing" her bottom through her clothing, to absorb the drops. 

I have searched the internet for information, but have found nothing of great use to me.  Rebekah does not exhibit ANY of the other symptoms listed in any of the "conditions" I've found for which leaky bladder is an included symptom. 

Here are a few facts about Rebekah:
She is probably the healthiest of my 4 girls.  She gladly chooses to eat the healthiest foods, and she is very strong and fit, not even a hint of being overweight. 
She is almost never sick, and when she is, she recovers more quickly than my other kids.
She is very happy, active, and a quick learner. 
She did have eczema that showed up at about age 2.  We battled it with no success for over a year, and then found Neem Cream.  By age 4 she had no signs of eczema any more.
Of all of my kids, she is the one that MUST eat as soon as she gets hungry, or she will experience strong hunger pains. 

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
Re: Bladder leakage (?) in 7 year old girl
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 05:56:09 AM »
I had this problem when I was pregnant and was told it was a tilting problem not allowing all of the urine to come out.
I also leaked when jumping, running, sneazing,ect...
The first things I would look into are yeast or UTI just a few Ideas.
Sherri
Just learn'n but pioneer at heart.
Sherri

Offline prov31jd

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 07:11:44 AM »
I don't think it could be a UTI, since she never complains of a burning sensation when urinating.  I thought about the possibility of yeast, but she is so healthy in every other aspect -- no hint of allergies, for example, and I know allergies can be a strong indicator of a systemic yeast problem.  I have thought about an herbal infusion for general kidney and urinary tract health (like oatstraw and/or nettle).  But it almost seems like the issue is mechanical (bladder not emptying completely, or urine pooling somewhere), rather than an issue that could be resolved through a tonic.  In any case, I don't suppose the infusion would do any harm.   
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 08:05:04 AM by prov31jd »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 07:33:05 AM »
The UTI or yeast might be a problem, but it might just be as simple as not emptying her bladder completely.  To empty the bladder, have her bend over on the pot (grab her ankles bending) to make sure the bladder is squeezed good and empty.  I sometimes have to do this myself when I'm pregnant or just when I've been giving my bladder a hard time with caffein and other beverages that aren't water.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 07:48:20 AM »
Could her muscles just be a little weaker?  I have found that doing the kegel exercises(even thought I am not pregnant) every couple of times that I urinate makes it a little stronger down there.  I used to leak a little after standing, or coughing or laughing too hard.  Ugh, I am getting too old before I know it! :)  Perhaps, you could teach her a few times a day to pee and stop and pee and stop it over and over.  See if that makes her a little stronger.  If that doesn't work, then it could be something a little more complex like the others suggested.

Offline MrsSWM

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 08:13:02 PM »
prov31jd,

I know this is an older thread but was curious as to if this problem was remedied in your little girl? My 7 year old daugter has been having the exact same problem for the past several months and also tested clear of a UTI.
I've searched and searched online and I think it may be"post void dribble" syndrome. I'm trying to have her work on how she sits on the potty, but she is still having trouble. I'm a bit stumped (and worried) and would love to hear what happened with your daughter.

Thanks!

Jennifer