Author Topic: always hungry  (Read 10595 times)

Offline rebekahgrif

• Adept
always hungry
« on: November 29, 2007, 04:22:10 AM »
My husband started a job back in March that is very physically demanding. He dropped about 60 lb since then not enough to be alarmed since he needed to loose the weight.  The problem is now he is always hungry.  How can I determin if he is simply not getting enough to eat for his activity lvl, or if there is a more serious problem.  When I asked he said that here lately he has been a lot more achey and more tired than he used to be.     
    I'm  thinking he has used up all his fat reserves and needs more foods, but how can I rule outother problems.  Here is the details.  He installs cabinets at a manufactured housing faciliy (he installs cabinets into trailers) and is always having to go up the line to fix a cabinet another department messed up.  He gets 2 breaks during the day one a morning snack and one a lunch.  Typically I send him a ham sandwhich and baked chips.  Lunch it leftover meats, chips or leftover carbs, and an apple.  He drinks unsweetened tea and water.  He is not getting home till around 5:30 most nights so I try to have supper ready or ready soon after.  By 10 he is hungry again.  If it IS simply not getting enough to eat what can I add that might help him.  BTW, he is 6' and weighs 195lb.  His bone structure is large.  All the weight charts I'm finding still put him in the overweight category and I know that can't be right!  The charts say he should be 175?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 05:06:27 AM by rebekahgrif »

Offline mhsmama4

• Adept
Re: always hungry
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 05:49:06 AM »
My dh is in the Army and considered overweight even in the 190's too (at 5'11").  Those charts just can't take each individual situation into account, IMO.

Anyway, my first thought when reading what your dh is eating for lunch was that maybe adding some good fats would help?  How about some nuts or some peanut or almond butter to dip that apple in?  That would add protein and good fat.  Than maybe some full-fat yogurt with his snack, or a couple of hard-boiled eggs?  As someone who is slightly (10 lbs) overweight when not pregnant, I know I'd be constantly hungry on what he seems to be eating, and I don't do hard manual labor.

Also, you didn't mention breakfast, but if he isn't already eating it, a good protein-packed breakfast might help as well.

Offline rebekahgrif

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 05:58:14 AM »
He leaves at 6:30 and refuses to eat breakfast before he leaves.  He treats that midmorning break as breakfast.  I was thinking add nuts and maybe more carbs

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 06:08:37 AM »
Lots of fats with protien and raw veggie snacks helps to keep my hubby full.

If your husband doesn't like breakfast would he consider a shake? If he would that would be a good way to get some food into him in the morning. I like to use whole milk or yogurt with raw eggs, coconut oil, flax seeds, banana and frozen fruit in ours.
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 06:12:15 AM »
Ditto on the fats.  If he can't get them in his foods, then you could give him supplements (CLO or fish oil).  Cod Liver Oil would be an excellent choice as you mentioned he was achey and tired.  The vitamins and fats contained in CLO supplements should help with both and should help to keep his satiated during the day.

You might also try sprinkling crushed flax seed on things.  It's good as a seasoning on sandwiches and salads and things.  Real butter (no margarine) is always a good additive for foods.  A glass of milk to wash it down.  Cheeses are full of good fats. 

If you feel that he's getting enough to eat and it's the right stuff to eat and he's still hungry, then you should consider cleansing for candida and other parasites as these can steal nutrients from the body and cause hunger and malnutrition where there should be none.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 06:14:10 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 06:14:39 AM »
 Do you make sure he has lots of protein (not too lean) along with carbs in the same meal???  my husband cant make it with just mostly one or the other.   My husband doesnt eat breakfast either and by eveing is just starving! :)  make sure he eats stuff that sticks to his ribs so to speak, for example apples speed up metabolisms, and chips are just basically filler.  know what I mean??  could you buy one of those hot and cold thermos and fill it with like Hot chili soup, or some other complete meal type, and then a couple of thick slices of homemade bread with lots of butter and jam.  and some homemade cookies??    my husband hates sandwiches with a passion and wont hardly eat them, we budget so he can buy at least 2 hot meals a day.  that really helps him.   he is 6' and 220 lbs. he just lost 15 lbs when he got off a medication he was taking.  he looks great, those charts are so full of baloney if you ask me!!  Some of our men are BIG, not FAT.    maybe the charts are based on office workers.  My husband was a steel builder for years so he has a chest the size of the wallof china. :)  good luck!!  

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 06:58:00 AM »
My mechanic husband likes to have a bag of almonds and walnuts by his desk. That way he can snack anytime he needs to, with a healthy food he loves.
Hardboiled eggs are one of his favorite lunches, too.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 07:31:00 AM »
More carbs will probably pack on the weight and not satisfy the hunger. More protein and saturated fats will satisfy hunger better, and although they may be more calories, he will probably eat less (unless, like HB said, there is an underlying condition that is causing cravings).

Here's a quote from The Weston A. Price Foundation's website, "Fat actually sends a signal to your brain to tell you when to stop eating. So, if you don't get enough fat in a meal, you will never feel completely satisfied and will usually end up overeating."

WR
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 10:03:43 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 09:44:03 AM »
I agree with the ladies saying more fats. Eggs, cream, butter, nut butters, sour cream, coconut oil, fatty meats, oily fish (like sardines), cheese, avocados, etc. Anything he likes that will deliver healthy fat. Carbs just make you hungrier. Fat SATISFIES.  ;D

Offline rebekahgrif

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 10:11:28 AM »
hehe I would have never thought of fats.  Protein yes, but not fats.  I'll have to think about how to add than.  And i agree the charts are baloney.  If my hubby weighed what the charts say he should he would look like a puff of wind would blow him away =-P  So add healthy fats;  that shouldn't be too hard.

SagorFamily1611

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 11:21:06 AM »
What is usually the problem when someone is always hungry is that their colon has a mucus/waste lining on it. I would recommend doing a good colon cleanse. (preferably from Dr. Christopher www.herballegacy.com)

What happens when you have a lining in your colon is that even though you may be getting the nutrients you need in your food that keeps you feeling full, with the lining in the colon your body isn't able to absorb them as it needs. When you colon is clean then your body will be content with very little food as then it is being absorbed into your body.

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 02:28:33 PM »
I'm sorry, I don't have much to add.... except that when I was reading about what he eats as his breakfast and his lunch, I knew that I can't survive on that!!! I would DEFINETLY be hungry!!! And I'm a female... sitting at home..... I just think you should add a lot more food!!!   ;D  The other suggestions were pretty good!! And I second the CLO.... its a miracle how it helped me not to be tired, even when I don't get my "beauty" rest.   ;)
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 02:35:51 PM »
This may be the only place in the US where you will actually be told to EAT fat! You gotta love WTM!
LKS

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 09:23:05 AM »
Okay my husband has the same problem and so does my 4 year old boy!!  My husband works at night so he eats at different times than we do, but I can't seem to keep him satisfied.  He literally is hungry after and hour or two after eating.  He says he feels like he is shaking and starts getting really really irritable and has to eat right at that moment.  If he doesn't he literally turns into the devil!!  Not really, but you get what I'm saying.  He also can't seem to get full once he starts eating, he is literally shoveling food into his mouth.  It almost seems like he could be hypoglycemic, but I'm not sure.  My little boy does the same thing.  What could be going on?  THis never happens to me.  It seems to run in his family because his dad, brother, and our son Noah also have the same symptoms??  I hope it's nothing serious.

Misty
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it(Prov. 22:6).

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 11:42:03 AM »
Okay my husband has the same problem and so does my 4 year old boy!!  My husband works at night so he eats at different times than we do, but I can't seem to keep him satisfied.  He literally is hungry after and hour or two after eating.  He says he feels like he is shaking and starts getting really really irritable and has to eat right at that moment.  If he doesn't he literally turns into the devil!!  Not really, but you get what I'm saying.  He also can't seem to get full once he starts eating, he is literally shoveling food into his mouth.  It almost seems like he could be hypoglycemic, but I'm not sure.  My little boy does the same thing.  What could be going on?  THis never happens to me.  It seems to run in his family because his dad, brother, and our son Noah also have the same symptoms??  I hope it's nothing serious.

Misty

I  like what the previous post have to say, but I would also seriously look into hypoglycemia.  My dad and sister have this and I had it when I was younger before getting diabetes.  The never getting full and shaky (hypoglycemia) makes me think that it might be more than one problem going on.  The shaky and having to eat right at that moment happens to me with a low blood sugar which is the same thing with hypoglycemics.  Making sure that they eat protein with the meal and don't have a lot of sugar will help.  Sugar/sweets make the blood sugar go up fast, peak and then come down fast, that is what gives you the sudden shaky feeling and needing to eat right away to bring the blood sugar back up to a normal level.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 05:53:07 AM »

Misty
Sounds like blood sugar problems and he probably needs more good fats in his diet to help regulate his hunger and blood sugar.  If the fats don't help, then you might want to look into other things to test/regulate his blood sugar. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 09:31:55 AM »
Thanks HB, that's kind of what I was thinking too, but just not exactly sure.  It also seems like he could have a candida infection or something because he has been having hives for about two weeks now???  I'm going to start him on some grape seed extract and order him some cinnamon tea to see if it helps level out his blood sugar.  Thanks for chiming in.

Misty
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it(Prov. 22:6).

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 12:22:43 PM »
Thanks HB, that's kind of what I was thinking too, but just not exactly sure.  It also seems like he could have a candida infection or something because he has been having hives for about two weeks now???  I'm going to start him on some grape seed extract and order him some cinnamon tea to see if it helps level out his blood sugar.  Thanks for chiming in.

Misty
Candida can definitely contribute to blood sugar problems.  Cod Liver Oil will help with the blood sugar and it will also help to heal a leaky gut.  Then if you suspect candida, you can also take steps to cleanse this as well.  Personally, I think everyone should take CLO unless you fish every day.  It helps with a wide variety of ailments and keeps everything healthy (organs, joints, bones, brain, skin, etc.).
  My favorite herb book!!