Author Topic: Mullein Recipes for Croup, Cough, Congestion  (Read 52832 times)

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
Mullein Recipes for Croup, Cough, Congestion
« on: November 16, 2007, 12:00:34 PM »
Just a note: I had done some mullein research when a family member had croup and read somewhere that it is one of the most beneficial herbs for dealing with croup.  I made a cough syrup of it and gave it to the parent of the child the day I found out what his "diagnosis" was.  I am not sure if they used it or not or it's effectiveness.  I have used the same syrup recipe when my oldest gets a barky cough and it always works wonders - along with cool mist vaporizer and goot, etc.

Offline strawberry

• Learning
    • free range press
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 12:12:50 PM »
I'm new to the "tincture/syrup/ointment" making, but when a "barky cough" goes through my house, my 12 mo daughter keeps it for at least a month (she has since 6mo).  Could you explain how you use the mullein to make a syrup?

Thanks.
mama of 5

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 12:28:10 PM »
When mine get a croupy cough, I use a warm onion compress on their chests.  Just slice some onions and put them in a towel.  Put the towel on their chest, cover with a hot water bottle (or heating pad) and a blanket.

I also give them an onion cough syrup.  Put some onion slices in honey and let them sit for a couple of hours.  A teaspoon of this gets rid of a cough immediately in our experience.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 01:57:59 PM »
I'm new to the "tincture/syrup/ointment" making, but when a "barky cough" goes through my house, my 12 mo daughter keeps it for at least a month (she has since 6mo).  Could you explain how you use the mullein to make a syrup?

Thanks.

here you go...
Excerpt from: Mullein, Nature's Best Wipe
by Debi Pearl   2000
To make a cough syrup, gently boil a cup of dried leaves in a cup of water until half of the water is gone. Strain through a cloth, pushing all the liquid out. While it is still warm, add 2 tablespoons of raw honey and mix well. This remedy can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one month. Use it like a regular cough syrup, taking 1 teaspoon every 3 or 4 hours.

I have inhaled the steam from boiling mullein to clear my lungs and break up heavy chest congestion. To prepare this remedy, I boil a cup of the leaves in a quart of water. After removing the boiled liquid from the stove, I lean over with my face right over the pot. Then, I place a towel over my head and breathe in the mullein steam. Use caution when doing this as the pot and liquid are very hot.

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 01:59:47 PM »
When mine get a croupy cough, I use a warm onion compress on their chests.  Just slice some onions and put them in a towel.  Put the towel on their chest, cover with a hot water bottle (or heating pad) and a blanket.

I also give them an onion cough syrup.  Put some onion slices in honey and let them sit for a couple of hours.  A teaspoon of this gets rid of a cough immediately in our experience.

WOW! I saw that on an episode of 'Christy'.  Actually, there are a lot of herbal remedies mentioned on that show... we watch it for a family movie time on DVD.

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 05:33:36 PM »
Just a note: I had done some mullein research when a family member had croup and read somewhere that it is one of the most beneficial herbs for dealing with croup.  I made a cough syrup of it and gave it to the parent of the child the day I found out what his "diagnosis" was.  I am not sure if they used it or not or it's effectiveness.  I have used the same syrup recipe when my oldest gets a barky cough and it always works wonders - along with cool mist vaporizer and goot, etc

I love this herb! It is in my top 5. I put it in all my immune/flu tinctures. The freaky thing about this sickness (and there was NO COUGH by the way, which was odd) is that it was not responding to anything I doing, including using Immune Awake, which I don't usually give to the kids for obvious reasons (cayenne, garlic, echinacea) and Kid's Immune Support (ech., elderberry, mullein, olive leaf), as well as extra mullein caps in applesauce with quercitin and zinc, and vit. C, and ginger baths, and Debi's chest rub with menthol, etc. I have never had that regimine fail before! Nothing would make the swelling in her throat go down, and I we were becoming too worn out to continue pacing with her to wake her up to breathe. So yeah, thanks for mentioning that- it is such a wonderful herb- we have discovered it even works for our pet bunny's snuffles (which is usually deadly). The folks at the park must think we're odd for picking weeds, but we've used up all the ones in the yard!
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline Mom2FourBlessings

• Adept
  • East TN mountains are our backyard.
    • Kiser Ridge Farm
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 03:25:16 AM »
Question:

My 16 month old seems to be coming down with croup we were up last night with the barky cough most of the night, finally a nebulizer treatment of saline solution helped, and sleeping with the windows open...even though it was 24 degrees outside.. LOL 

Anyway, what I was wondering is someone above mentioned mullien steam... however doing this with a 16 month old would be impossible..
Do you all think that if I boiled some mullien in water then put the water in the nebulizer that it would have the same results??  Do you think that would be safe?? 

I work as a paramedic so I have the nebulizer and the emergency meds on hand should his breathing become labored, or his airway blocked, but unless I have to I don't want to administer inhaled steroids, or anything else. KWIM??

Thanks for all this info about mullien, it is one of the herbs I have in the freezer in bulk..

Heather
Daughter of God, helpmeet to Joshua, mommy to four so far.. :)

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 06:30:21 AM »
I don't know much about nebulizers, but we've had the kids inhale peppermint tea steam before... I imagine mullein steam would help too...???
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline jessicah

• Adept
Re: Mullein Recipes for Croup, Cough, Congestion
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 06:53:36 PM »
My friend made a mullein and peppermint tincture. It works well for those annoying dry coughs that come on during the night.  I dont know the specifics, but I would suggest 2 parts mullein to 1 part peppermint.
Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 11:22:16 AM »
Here's an article on Mullein:
http://potterswheelschool.blogspot.com/2007/12/mullein.html

It's properties make it great for congestion and coughing. The recommendations I found said that it blends well with Chamomile & Catnip. I like it with peppermint, but haven't experimented that much. To me, it tastes great and is effective in a tea by itself.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 06:13:49 PM by SC »
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline momofkings

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 03:32:12 PM »
Does anyone know if this herb is safe to use during pregnancy?  I am 36 weeks along and have developed a horrible cough.  I actually thought I pulled a stomach muscle from all the coughing, it's very painful.  The doctor's told me I could take Robitussin, etc, but I don't want to.  However, I do want this cough to be gone NOW.  So I've been searching on here trying to find something specific to just coughs--I don't have a sore throat or anything like that, just this annoying, unending cough!  Help! :-\

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 03:42:28 PM »
Does anyone know if this herb is safe to use during pregnancy?  I am 36 weeks along and have developed a horrible cough.  I actually thought I pulled a stomach muscle from all the coughing, it's very painful.  The doctor's told me I could take Robitussin, etc, but I don't want to.  However, I do want this cough to be gone NOW.  So I've been searching on here trying to find something specific to just coughs--I don't have a sore throat or anything like that, just this annoying, unending cough!  Help! :-\

Here's the information posted on Herbs 2000; 

"Mullein is generally safe, and there are no known contraindications to its use during pregnancy or lactation, except for rare reports of skin irritation."

Full article here;     http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_mullein.htm

Hope that helps!   Also, try lemon juice and honey in tea.  Honey can help loosen up. 

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 09:27:17 AM »
How do I prepare fresh-picked mullein??

I just picked some from an obliging field near our house, and I don't know what to do next.

Obviously, I ought to wash them, but in what? Plain water? Vinegar?

Can someone give me step-by-step instructions on what I should do?

I need to use it for my developing cough today if possible.

Can I use it fresh or must it be dried first?

Help!  ???  ;D

kate (Our Lady of Perpetual Questions...)  ;)
All the way my Savior leads me...

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 09:46:32 AM »
When I used home-picked mullein I rinsed the leaves and then "dried" in the oven on real low heat (the lowest setting) for about an hour I think.  hth

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 09:59:01 AM »
Thank you! Can you use mullein fresh too?

Offline SamsGirl

• Proverbs 3:5&6
  • Adept
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 10:26:32 AM »
How do I prepare fresh-picked mullein??

I just picked some from an obliging field near our house, and I don't know what to do next.

Obviously, I ought to wash them, but in what? Plain water? Vinegar?

Can someone give me step-by-step instructions on what I should do?

I need to use it for my developing cough today if possible.

Can I use it fresh or must it be dried first?

Help!  ???  ;D

kate (Our Lady of Perpetual Questions...)  ;)

check out this link
http://www.altnature.com/gallery/mullien.htm

I was just looking this up yesterday because I had passed quite a few plants on a walk and was wondering what to do with them if I picked them.....towards the bottom of the page there are instructions on how to make tea and how to do oil.....
my earthly walk focuses on following Jesus, wife to Samuel, momma to Adela Grace and one more on the way

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 11:55:59 AM »
Thank you! That is a very informative article.

Still wondering if anything can be done with fresh (not dried) leaves?

I think it's time to head to the library and get educated...  ;D

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 01:00:22 PM »
Ha!  If you use 'em for camping toilet paper you use 'em fresh... ;D

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
Thank you! That is a very informative article.

Still wondering if anything can be done with fresh (not dried) leaves?

I think it's time to head to the library and get educated...  ;D

Yes, Kate, you can use the fresh leaves.  You simply need to use more, volume-wise, than you would dried.   I wash my herbs in  a mild salt water and then a cool, freshwater rinse.  If you have some lobelia or marshmallow root, add some of that to your tea for your cough.
hth  ~cyndi
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 04:49:21 PM »
Thank you too!

Youse are fabulous. I think I'll keep you.  ;D

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 05:09:16 PM »
Thank you too!

Youse are fabulous. I think I'll keep you.  ;D

Awww, shucks.   ::)   T'wern't nuthin'.     :-*

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 01:56:03 AM »

check out this link
http://www.altnature.com/gallery/mullien.htm

I was just looking this up yesterday because I had passed quite a few plants on a walk and was wondering what to do with them if I picked them.....towards the bottom of the page there are instructions on how to make tea and how to do oil.....

Samsgirl, THANK YOU for the link!!  That is exactly what I was looking for today :) :)  I picked and dried a bunch of mullein this week and meant to look up exactly how to use it, thinking i had until fall when colds often kick in.  Lo and behold, my 5 year old came down this morning feeling yucky...thanks for saving me some time!
Leah
Married to Ken 14 years, mom to Kenny (13), Kyle and Kaitlyn (11), Kevin (5) and Megan and Melissa (1 1/2)

My Intro: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1573.msg838.html#msg838

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 04:11:16 PM »
Are all parts of mullein safe to use?

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 06:07:44 PM »
Yes they are: roots, leaves, flowers, and stalks all safe.

The only thing that I have seen that it may be toxic are the seeds. But I have read conflicting things on that. I found a remedy that used the seeds but I have read they are toxic so...but the rest of the plant works so I don't see why one would have a need for the seeds other than for planting.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 04:38:28 AM by sarajane »
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 05:57:06 AM »
Magnificent Mullien Recipe
for colds coughs asthma, ect

2 1/2 parts Mullien
2 parts Marshmallow
1 part Angelica
1 part Calendula
1 part Orange Peel
1 part Elderberries

https://www.limitededitionherbs.com/public/detail.php?id=351

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 10:11:36 AM »
I just set up a tincture of:
2 parts mullein
1 part lobelia
2 parts catnip
I'm planning on using this for upper respiratory/congestion-type stuff.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2009, 10:45:40 AM »
2 parts mullein
1 part lobelia
2 parts catnip

what dosages will you be using with the children and yourself?

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2009, 10:47:39 AM »
2 parts mullein
1 part lobelia
2 parts catnip

what dosages will you be using with the children and yourself?
To be honest, the lobelia always makes me a bit nervous so I'm probably over-cautious with it.  I generally start all of us, kids and adults, with 1 dropperful, and give it every 2-3 hours as tolerated until I see symptoms start to be more managed.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2009, 02:35:54 PM »
I've tried mullein before, but not catnip.  Does the catnip help stop a cough?
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2009, 02:58:18 PM »
I've tried mullein before, but not catnip.  Does the catnip help stop a cough?
The main reason I included catnip is that it has a relaxing effect upon the nervous system.  Its actions include:  carminative, diaphoretic, antispasmodic, refigerant, emmenagogue, anodyne, sedative, antacid, astringent, and nervine.
It is very gentle acting and appropriate for babies.  It is from the mint family.
Combined with mullein and lobelia, I am looking at rememdies for bronchitis,, colds, flu-like symptoms, and fevers mainly, should we run into these problems....