Remedies & Therapies > Medicinal Herbs & Oils

Mullein Recipes for Croup, Cough, Congestion

(1/9) > >>

littlemama24:
Just a note: I had done some mullein research when a family member had croup and read somewhere that it is one of the most beneficial herbs for dealing with croup.  I made a cough syrup of it and gave it to the parent of the child the day I found out what his "diagnosis" was.  I am not sure if they used it or not or it's effectiveness.  I have used the same syrup recipe when my oldest gets a barky cough and it always works wonders - along with cool mist vaporizer and goot, etc.

strawberry:
I'm new to the "tincture/syrup/ointment" making, but when a "barky cough" goes through my house, my 12 mo daughter keeps it for at least a month (she has since 6mo).  Could you explain how you use the mullein to make a syrup?

Thanks.

lotsagirls:
When mine get a croupy cough, I use a warm onion compress on their chests.  Just slice some onions and put them in a towel.  Put the towel on their chest, cover with a hot water bottle (or heating pad) and a blanket.

I also give them an onion cough syrup.  Put some onion slices in honey and let them sit for a couple of hours.  A teaspoon of this gets rid of a cough immediately in our experience.

littlemama24:

--- Quote from: strawberry on November 16, 2007, 12:12:50 PM ---I'm new to the "tincture/syrup/ointment" making, but when a "barky cough" goes through my house, my 12 mo daughter keeps it for at least a month (she has since 6mo).  Could you explain how you use the mullein to make a syrup?

Thanks.

--- End quote ---

here you go...
Excerpt from: Mullein, Nature's Best Wipe
by Debi Pearl   2000
To make a cough syrup, gently boil a cup of dried leaves in a cup of water until half of the water is gone. Strain through a cloth, pushing all the liquid out. While it is still warm, add 2 tablespoons of raw honey and mix well. This remedy can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one month. Use it like a regular cough syrup, taking 1 teaspoon every 3 or 4 hours.

I have inhaled the steam from boiling mullein to clear my lungs and break up heavy chest congestion. To prepare this remedy, I boil a cup of the leaves in a quart of water. After removing the boiled liquid from the stove, I lean over with my face right over the pot. Then, I place a towel over my head and breathe in the mullein steam. Use caution when doing this as the pot and liquid are very hot.

littlemama24:

--- Quote from: ndmomof5 on November 16, 2007, 12:28:10 PM ---When mine get a croupy cough, I use a warm onion compress on their chests.  Just slice some onions and put them in a towel.  Put the towel on their chest, cover with a hot water bottle (or heating pad) and a blanket.

I also give them an onion cough syrup.  Put some onion slices in honey and let them sit for a couple of hours.  A teaspoon of this gets rid of a cough immediately in our experience.

--- End quote ---

WOW! I saw that on an episode of 'Christy'.  Actually, there are a lot of herbal remedies mentioned on that show... we watch it for a family movie time on DVD.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version