Author Topic: post partum migraines  (Read 10502 times)

Offline Mamato6

• Mama to a bunch
  • Adept
    • Modest Mama and Me
post partum migraines
« on: November 27, 2007, 06:35:18 AM »
these are just awful.  What causes them adn what can I do.

Offline Mamato6

• Mama to a bunch
  • Adept
    • Modest Mama and Me
Re: post partum migraines
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 04:05:24 AM »
bump

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 04:19:18 AM »
I have some questions:

How old is your baby? 
Is it possible that you pinched a nerve in you back during labor?
Have you kinked your shoulder/neck area while breastfeeding? 
How much water are you drinking?
I know, dangerous question with a new baby in the house, but, are you getting enough rest?

Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline seeker

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 04:36:19 AM »

I have some questions, too. Did you have these migraines after your other births? Does the pain go away as soon as you lie down?

Offline Janacat

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 05:11:16 AM »
I get hormonal migraines. Have them before and during pregnancies. This last baby I am breastfeeding. Migraine free. I guess, my body found a balance. I use Migraine Head On, ice packs on head and neck, head if neck tenses, then massage the area. Neck stretches. Regular Tylenol. Haven't gotten it yet, but there is a book called Pain Free. Good luck!

Offline Janacat

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 09:00:53 AM »
forgot to add previously. The health food store I go to recommended Evening Primrose oil. Didn't get a chance to fully try it out, found out I was pregnant after a month or two of using. I also take fish and or flax oil. EPO is also a good oil, but I read that you shouldn't use while breastfeeding. So, maybe fish or flax would help.

Offline Mamato6

• Mama to a bunch
  • Adept
    • Modest Mama and Me
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 09:19:28 AM »
I have some questions:

How old is your baby? 
I know, dangerous question with a new baby in the house, but, are you getting enough rest?

Almost three weeks
Not sure about a pinched nerve
No no neck or shoulder pain from nursing
Not enough water I am sure
Getting enough rest, he sleeps through the night already.

I get these when I get pregnant and right after delivery

Offline Mamato6

• Mama to a bunch
  • Adept
    • Modest Mama and Me
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 09:20:02 AM »

I have some questions, too. Did you have these migraines after your other births? Does the pain go away as soon as you lie down?

Yes got them after other births.  No it does not go away when I lie down.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 09:56:54 AM »
mamato6,

I have no help here, only sympathy.  I get them terribly as well - the whole "classic migraine:"  blindness, speech impediments, numbness in face and limbs, and THEN a terrible headache, accompanied by vomiting for 4-12 hours - truly completely incapacitating.  Not just a headache!!!  I've also had trouble with other kinds of headaches, like tension headaches, headaches from pinched nerves, etc., and I HAVE found relief from these, but they are certainly not the same thing as a migraine.

I had them pre-puberty, and then never again until pregnancy, and then again post pregnancy.

I am preggo now and I have had several doozies already.

I have tried several things to no avail, and OB (not a natural guy) says that it's estrogen.  (I just learned this recently.)  Major estrogen surges make blood vessels swell out and leak fluid into surrounding tissues, creating pinched nerves (hence the blindness and other stroke-like symptoms) and then when the pinched nerves/vessels begin to alleviate, the pain starts.  Well, this is the only thing that has made any sense yet, since I have not found one stitch of relief anywhere else, and I only get them related to pregnancy.

So, lots of people have migraine headaches and they find that drinking more water, avoiding an "allergen" food, fixing a pinched nerve, relaxing the neck/shoulder muscles, etc. help them.  That just means that they are having a headache for reasons other than major estrogen surge, KWIM?  I'm thinking if you only get them while pregnant and right after than it may be  related to estrogen surges, not something else.

The only thing that I think could help would be 1) somehow subduing the estrogen surge or 2) a blood vessel constrictor, used when you can sense one "coming on."  I'm not sure how much messing with hormones you wanna do preggo or post preggo, but I've tried yam cream (supposedly a pre-cursor to progesterone,) to no avail.  Caffeine supposedly constricts blood vessels, and believe me, I've tried some amazingly strong coffee in an effort to avoid a migraine, and it hasn't worked for me, either.

My doc said that though headaches are extremely common in pregnancy, these kinds of migraines are not nearly as common and there is not much that he feels comfortable with doing (medicine wise) during pregnancy.  There is some kind of newer prescription that he said I could consider when the pregnancy is over, but there is a list a mile long of potential side effects.  The neurologist said that unless I began having the headaches like once a month when NOT pregnant, he didn't think that the side effects were worth trying any prescription meds.  I agreed!  Basically, they both recommend just living with it.

Over the years, I've tried:

hawthorn tinctures
lots of caffeine
avoiding all caffeine
showers, alternating hot/cold water
dramatic increase in water intake
chiropractor (he helped with other headache problems, but not these!)
ice packs
hot packs
ginkgo
yam cream
massage

I've not tried feverfew, but some say that daily use of this herb truly helps.

Maybe I'll inspire you to something helpful!

There is at least one other migraine thread on this board, just type migraine into the search box.  There are some folks who have found relief with things there.

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 11:52:38 AM »
I have some questions:

How old is your baby? 

Almost three weeks
Not sure about a pinched nerve
No no neck or shoulder pain from nursing
Not enough water I am sure
Getting enough rest, he sleeps through the night already.

I get these when I get pregnant and right after delivery

As crazy as this sounds, coming from me, I would be concerned about a 3 week old sleeping through the night.  My guess is that your head aches would have to do with hormones and possibly a blood sugar or calcium imbalance. 

Now, don't through rocks at me, but I'll tell you how I'm getting this suspicion.  When a newly calved cow in my dad's barn was "off her feed" so to speak, Dad would give her either calcium or glucose.  But he was very careful not to over do the calcium, as that could kill her.  I don't have any science to back this up, just a lot of respect for an excellent farmer.  Please, don't throw rocks at me.  :-*
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline Dixiemom

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 12:51:09 PM »
I am just curious to know if anyone who has suffered from this type of migraine has found a good remedy yet?  I have a 3-month old and have had migraines throughout pregnancy and they have continued (most likely due to nursing).  This is my fourth baby, and I have had hormone-related migraines with each one until I have weaned.  I still have not found an answer for these.  Any advice would be appreciated!

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 05:23:41 AM »
What all have you tried?

It's not much fun to have migraines especially when you just want to enjoy your newborn.

I'll list some things and maybe a bell will go off.

I had migraines when I was pregnant with my second--the kind where you actually have vision problems.  I believe those were cause from deydration.  I didn't have any knowledge of health at all at that time. :-[

Are you getting enough good fats.
Could you be having a reaction to MSG?
Are you getting enough rest?
Sometimes milk/dairiy allergy can cause headaches. 
Lack of magnesium can sometimes cause headaches.
Yeast can also be a big contributor to everything.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,603.0.html

Now, for hormones, I like Evening Primrose Oil.  It's really been a big blessing this last year.

I don't know if any of this will help. :-\  But maybe at least it could help get you started.

Oh and welcome to WTM!  :)
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 07:16:07 AM »
Floydian's list has some great ideas to think about!

If you decide to do something yeast-attacking related, since you are nursing I would suggest the water cure. It has wonderful benefits when nursing- here's the thread:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,369.0.html

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 12:09:42 PM »
Taking progesterone cured me of some wicked headaches ... not sure if this helps,  but after you deliver, doesn't progesterone level plummet? I had my last child at 43 . I think it might have been progesterone that helped me have her and it was certainly the progesterone that cured my regular headaches afterward.

Offline Siege

• My avatar is my youngest frying deer tongue!
  • Adept
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 12:18:02 PM »
400 mg of magneasium (do not take at the same time as you take calcium as they are absorbed the same way and the mag will no be absorbed and will leave the body as waste. Take your calcium in the AM and the mag in the PM of visa-versa.)

400 mg of B2 (riboflavin)

These are what was prescribed for me for my migranes and I have hardly any now that I did this. I no longer need the extra intake of vitamins either. If I notice 1 a week or more I take them again and am fine for months.

Offline Dixiemom

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 03:57:59 AM »
Thank you all for the great tips! 

Here is what I have tried so far:
I have tried to eliminate yeast--I went on a very extreme diet for about three months.  At first I felt terrible (so I thought I might be on to something) then, my headaches resumed schedule.  The diet was so hard to follow and I did not really feel any major benefit, so I gave it up.
I tried drinking tons of lemon water.
I tried calcium and magnesium--but together, I am going to try them seperately now--thanks for the tip!
I have used ice packs, tylenol, a little caffiene, and no caff.
I have tried to eliminate chocolate
I have kept a food journal
I even tried a "quantum" machine--very hard to explain, but didn't work either. . .
I have tried a chiropractor too

I have had these for about five years, so I have had plenty of time try things out.  However, I am not opposed to trying more things. . .I really, really want to find something that will work for me.  I know that my headaches are not caused by a lack of Darvocet, so I am still hoping that there is another answer out there!

Is evening primrose oil safe for a breastfeeding mom?  I have never heard of trying that for migraines, but it seems like it might work.

Thanks again for the help! 

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 04:37:51 AM »

Is evening primrose oil safe for a breastfeeding mom?  I have never heard of trying that for migraines, but it seems like it might work.

Five years of migraines- I feel so bad for you! :'( I sure hope you find an answer! And yes, EPO is ok when breastfeeding.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 04:59:48 AM »

Five years of migraines- I feel so bad for you! :'( I sure hope you find an answer! And yes, EPO is ok when breastfeeding.

EPO helps regulate hormones from what I understand.

Offline Dixiemom

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 03:10:00 AM »

Thanks for the sympathy!  I have them so often, I really try not to talk about them much anymore. . .

I am so excited about trying EPO!  Since I know that my headaches are hormone-related, it never made a lot of sense for me to treat for dehydration, yeast, etc.  But, I did it because I had no other options.  This is the first natural remedy I am going to try that is for hormones.  Yay!!!!  Thank you all so much for suggesting it!!!

Does anyone know what dosage I should take?  Should I take it once a day or break it up throughout the day?

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 04:17:42 AM by Dixiemom »

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 03:38:10 AM »
I suggest Magnesium Natural Calm. I take that, and I dont seem to have as many headaches as I used to? Maybe it got better after I started my prenatals and fish oil, too, but I used to have bad headaches when I first got pregnant!

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 04:58:34 AM »
I suggest Magnesium Natural Calm. I take that, and I dont seem to have as many headaches as I used to? Maybe it got better after I started my prenatals and fish oil, too, but I used to have bad headaches when I first got pregnant!

Natural Calm works great for lots of problems.  I also used it for Restless Legs when I was pregnant.  IMO the lemon tastes horrible, the raspberry is better, the orange isn't so bad.  It's also nice when you feel like you are about to climb the walls the day you start.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 06:28:35 AM »

Natural Calm works great for lots of problems.  I also used it for Restless Legs when I was pregnant.  IMO the lemon tastes horrible, the raspberry is better, the orange isn't so bad.  It's also nice when you feel like you are about to climb the walls the day you start.

I think it might help me sleep better too. I take it just before I go to bed. Also, I do not like the Flavored natural Calm. THe Original is the best, it just taste like tangy water.

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 07:19:18 AM »

Does anyone know what dosage I should take?  Should I take it once a day or break it up throughout the day?

From what I've read you can't really OD on EPO. I would suggest, in your case, taking double the suggested use. My bottle from Beeyoutiful says 1 softgel 1-2 times a day and I take up to 4 a day. These pills are 1300 mg.

Also here is an EPO thread you may find helpful:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1848.0.html
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 07:21:13 AM by lotsaboys »

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 09:11:54 AM »
After reading the EPO thread and with a kind person's reminder I want to mention that it would be good to take cod liver oil (omega 3) with EPO (omega 6) for a good balance. I'm still learning. :)