Author Topic: A question about kids & immune systems  (Read 1818 times)

Offline autoshopmama

• Just Trying to Get it All Figured Out!
  • Wide Eyed
A question about kids & immune systems
« on: November 18, 2007, 08:00:25 PM »
Ok, I have a question.  I am not completely crunchy or naturally oriented, but I am WAY more that way than most of my friends.  I am all for natural stuff.  When they have colds we do pressed garlic in a spoonful of applesauce, elderberry & echinacea syrup, vit c, etc.  And we eat fairly healthily.  My kids though will end up with colds faster than others, and they take much longer to recover.  Why is this?  If my kids are taking the healthy stuff and their kids are eating junk and taking cold medicine, why do my kids get sick more often?  Just wondering if anyone else deals with this?
Kathleen ~ Krazy mama to 4 monkeys and wife to one amazing man!!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline crystal

• Adept
Re: A question about kids & immune systems
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 11:04:19 AM »
5 yo dd just had 3 days @ the hospital with an apparent kidney infection.  (Ecoli was evident in the bloodwork.)  She was on amoxicillin two weeks ago (for a misdiagnosed beginning ear infection; it was actually infection in the bladder, probably), had 3 IV treatments in the hospital and is now on Ceftin for 10 days.  Her WBC was 40,000 plus.  Her little body was doing all it could to fight.  We aren't certain if she was actually septic.  The blood culture is not done growing.

My question: Is her system in good shape or bad shape right now?  (I am just too tired to think this through, I guess.)   Should I keep her away from others and the exposure to viruses, etc., such as at church.  If so, how long would you stay home?  She is feeling great, now.  One cannot tell that she was so sick just a couple of days ago.

Thanks for your input.

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 03:07:53 PM »
Crystal,

In case Patti doesn't see this, you may want to PM her (screen name is PATTI).  Her 6 yr old daughter has been going through the same thing and she my have lots of info for you.  It seems that it can be hard to kick.  hth 
I aM PERSUADeD

Romans 8:38-39
II Timothy 1:12

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 03:20:18 PM »
Crystal,

In case Patti doesn't see this, you may want to PM her (screen name is PATTI).  Her 6 yr old daughter has been going through the same thing and she my have lots of info for you.  It seems that it can be hard to kick.  hth 

Patti has already contacted me.  Thanks!