Author Topic: Organic vs. Standard produce  (Read 38974 times)

Offline mommie

• Master
Re: Organic vs. Standard produce
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2008, 01:00:05 PM »
thank you Army Wife! And Hi its Gwen..thanks so much for the red yellow green light thing. I really liked that one too!

yeay for healthiness! :)

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2009, 10:27:09 AM »
OK... this is silly, and not really educational or anything... but I thought it was fun.  Feel free to delete if it is unwelcome HB. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVrIyEu6h_E

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2009, 03:26:08 PM »
OK... this is silly, and not really educational or anything... but I thought it was fun.  Feel free to delete if it is unwelcome HB. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVrIyEu6h_E

cute! very funny!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline homesteadmommy

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2009, 03:54:22 PM »
I don't know if this helps any of you or not but Azure standard has just started a drop route here in the Midwest. I am finding that there prices for organic produce is really not more expensive than the produce from Wal-Mart - especially if you have someone in your co-op that will split cases with you.  It is has been such a wonderful option for our family - a way to get good nutritious food without bursting the budget. Just thought I would share that with you. If you want more info on Azure you can browse their website or call to find out exactly where the drop route is going. I also have some contact info I could share with you.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2009, 08:29:34 AM »
I don't know if this helps any of you or not but Azure standard has just started a drop route here in the Midwest. I am finding that there prices for organic produce is really not more expensive than the produce from Wal-Mart - especially if you have someone in your co-op that will split cases with you.  It is has been such a wonderful option for our family - a way to get good nutritious food without bursting the budget. Just thought I would share that with you. If you want more info on Azure you can browse their website or call to find out exactly where the drop route is going. I also have some contact info I could share with you.

i'm interested in more info, not seeing prices on their site.  where are you at? i'm in Iowa. thanks!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Ejet

• Learning
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2009, 09:45:41 PM »
Please forgive me if the info is somewhere.. I looked ::), but may have missed it. Is there a wash (maybe that you could make) that would better (safely) wash the fruits and veggies that do not have to be organic? I worry about the pesticides, too..

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2009, 05:22:26 AM »
Please forgive me if the info is somewhere.. I looked ::), but may have missed it. Is there a wash (maybe that you could make) that would better (safely) wash the fruits and veggies that do not have to be organic? I worry about the pesticides, too..

There are 'green' produce washes for sale at many natural and regular grocery stores. 
I use either a soak in water with 1 tsp. each of baking soda and salt dissolved in it.  Soak for half an hour or more and then rinse.
Or, I use a bit of natural soap to scrub my produce and then rinse.
This takes care of surface dirt or pesticides (most have a petrochemical carrier). 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13