Author Topic: Gasoline Smell  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Grace

• Adept
Gasoline Smell
« on: November 14, 2007, 05:50:49 AM »
My DH's truck ran out of gas this morning while sitting in our driveway warming up.....So when he got out the gas can to fill it up I thought I would be a nice, helpful wife and hold the funnel for him ;)......well I ended up with alot of gas on my hand :P and since I am PG the smell is really getting to me! Any ideas how to get rid of the smell?????
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Re: Gasoline Smell
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 06:02:59 AM »
After, of course, lots of hot soapy water, I've had good success removing smelly stuff from me by washing with diluted lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.  Both are acidic and willl cut through most chemicals. 

Dilute either the lemon juice or vinegar to about 1/3 juice and 2/3 water, approximate.  Scrub well and rinse. 

If this doesn't work, I would try a salt scrub with cooking oil and salt.  Mix in the palm of your hand, add a little hot water, and scrub your hands well.  Pay attention to under and around the nails, as they're harder to remove things from. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 07:20:12 AM »
I notice that lavender soaps and shampoos help get rid of smells.

Shampoo in general helps from what I have noticed. I read somewhere that  soap helps kill the germs but does not always unstick and wash away the dead germs but shampoo unsticks and washes away the germs. So I would wash with soap 1st them shampoo. Thats what I do and it helps. But gasoline is just one of those hard to be rid of smells.  :(

Offline Siege

• My avatar is my youngest frying deer tongue!
  • Adept
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 10:33:02 AM »
Summer is here and so is lawn mowing, truck filling, equipment filling time. So, does anyone know how to get that fuel oil/gasoline smell out of clothing? i already have a load of the stuff in my washer. I have washed it twice. This last time I poured almost 1/2 gal of vinegar on it directly. I am afraid to go check it! Any ideas? if this has come up before, can you point me in the right direction? Thanks, CJ

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 10:45:15 AM »
Hey friend,
Try putting some borax in with the vinegar, add some baking soda and some lavendar oil.  Then let it soak soak soak, at least an hour or two.  It would be like the laundry soap without the water and soap part.
Other than that, I think the burning barrel is a nice place for such clothing!  Just kidding.
Jill

p.s.  I know that a salt or sugar rub in hands removes smells - I wonder about how this could be used with stinky clothes?

Offline Farm Wife

• Adept
  • 24 years (still newlyweds) with 2 beautiful boys
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 04:27:03 AM »
Summer is here and so is lawn mowing, truck filling, equipment filling time. So, does anyone know how to get that fuel oil/gasoline smell out of clothing? i already have a load of the stuff in my washer. I have washed it twice. This last time I poured almost 1/2 gal of vinegar on it directly. I am afraid to go check it! Any ideas? if this has come up before, can you point me in the right direction? Thanks, CJ
My farmer spilled diesel fuel on coveralls and after trying everything and several washes I used a whole bottle of orange cleaner and it worked.  8) I don't know if all orange cleaners are equal, mine wash for lawn furniture.
Ephesian 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God, Not of works lest any man should boast. :)