Author Topic: Coffee Alternative?  (Read 31953 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Coffee Alternative?
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2007, 07:21:56 AM »
I figured coffee wasn't good for you because it dehydrates you. Plus it turns your teeth yellow. :(I drink a big cup anyway every day but i would like to find something to replace it...perferable not brown or black. Thats why i use a lot of creamer which I'm sure is much worse for me then the coffee. :-*But man it sure taste good. :D
Creamer is terrible.  Use milk, cream or powdered milk.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2007, 07:44:09 AM »
I figured coffee wasn't good for you because it dehydrates you. Plus it turns your teeth yellow. :(I drink a big cup anyway every day but i would like to find something to replace it...perferable not brown or black. Thats why i use a lot of creamer which I'm sure is much worse for me then the coffee. :-*But man it sure taste good. :D
Creamer is terrible.  Use milk, cream or powdered milk.
Cream!!!  Cream is so yummy!
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2007, 04:38:50 AM »
Healthy MOCHA RECIPE:  i took the ingredients from the hot cocoa recipe thread and made up my own adding Roma (Roasted Malt Barley, Roasted Barley and Chicory). I got it from the health food store for $6.45 for 3.5 oz or 50 servings.

1 cup powdered sugar (I used 1/2 Xylitol which I ground in my coffee grinder and 1/2 cup raw cane juice ground in grinder)

1/4 Cup good cocoa

1 cup non-instant no-fat dry milk (NOW Foods)

1/2 t salt

dash cayenne pepper

3 level T Roma

2 tsp guar gum (or 1 tsp corn starch) for thickener

Sift all ingredients into a bowl and use about two heaping spoons per coffee cup.
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2007, 06:06:30 AM »
cayenne pepper? Interesting.  I'll have to try that out. :)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2007, 08:01:11 AM »
cayenne pepper? Interesting. 

That is a common ingredient in most "Mexican" hot chocolate recipes.

Natural, your recipe sounds really good.  I found some grain beverage at Big Lots last week.  Maybe I will pick some up.

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2007, 08:20:46 AM »
I am not a Mocha or coffee drinker so you might have to tweek the recipe to fit your taste.  :)
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline Lovn my boys

• Learning
    • http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/organizedhomeschool
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2008, 06:51:36 PM »
Don't know what is currently available, but www.momsview.com has a link to free samples of all varieties.   .I have gotten free coffee and tea samples, among other things.  I will say, too, that I've only had one or two companies from here continually email me, and even those quit after I unsubscribed. 

Also, Yogi tea used to send out free samples from their site, but nothing close to a coffee flavor. 

I'm a die hard coffee drinker, but I'm finding that if I make myself drink tea in the morning instead (guayani cocoa w/ yerba mate), I don't crave the sweets at all.  With coffee, the cravings start after lunch (I stop drinking it right before lunch).  Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Maybe I'll try roasted chicory or dandelion on my next trip to Whole Foods.

Blessings....
Happily married to my steady dh for 15 years.
mom to 13yo ds, 11 yo ds, and 8yo ds

We NEED a parental rights ammendment to keep the UN out of our families.  Learn more at www.parentalrights.org

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2008, 04:25:16 AM »
Don't know what is currently available, but www.momsview.com has a link to free samples of all varieties.   .I have gotten free coffee and tea samples, among other things.  I will say, too, that I've only had one or two companies from here continually email me, and even those quit after I unsubscribed. 

Also, Yogi tea used to send out free samples from their site, but nothing close to a coffee flavor. 

I'm a die hard coffee drinker, but I'm finding that if I make myself drink tea in the morning instead (guayani cocoa w/ yerba mate), I don't crave the sweets at all.  With coffee, the cravings start after lunch (I stop drinking it right before lunch).  Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Maybe I'll try roasted chicory or dandelion on my next trip to Whole Foods.

Blessings....

Oh neat.  Can you tell me how to find these free samples on this page??

Offline Lovn my boys

• Learning
    • http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/organizedhomeschool
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 05:50:41 PM »
The link to the free samples page is www.momsview.com/freesproductsamples.shtml

I have an email account that I use exclusively for this and mystery shopping to keep junk out of my usual email.  That way, I only have to check it if I'm directed to respond to the confirmation email.  yahoo or hotmail work well for this.   

Good luck!

Happily married to my steady dh for 15 years.
mom to 13yo ds, 11 yo ds, and 8yo ds

We NEED a parental rights ammendment to keep the UN out of our families.  Learn more at www.parentalrights.org

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2008, 06:29:23 PM »
I have finally started to try some of these alternative coffees.  Today we tried Pero.  Ick Yuck, Bleck!!  Not very tasty.  So I guess I'll be trying a different one cause this one is not going to cut it. :D :D :D :D

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2008, 12:55:53 PM »
Dandy blend. It tastes great. 

I am drinking this right now and it actually is REALLY REALLY good.  Now, maybe for those who are just getting off of coffee won't think it taste like coffee, but for someone who doesn't drink it anymore, it tastes almost exactly like it. Better than Teccinno. (I cannot believe it has beet root in it. I HATE BEETS......they scare me)  ;D

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2008, 01:55:39 PM »
Dandy blend. It tastes great. 

I am drinking this right now and it actually is REALLY REALLY good.  Now, maybe for those who are just getting off of coffee won't think it taste like coffee, but for someone who doesn't drink it anymore, it tastes almost exactly like it. Better than Teccinno. (I cannot believe it has beet root in it. I HATE BEETS......they scare me)  ;D
Sounds interesting. All of the other alternatives made me gag.
So is it rich and dark and good with cream in it? How long do you think a carton would last if you drank 1 or 2 cups a day?

On a side note.   I have heard of people making a really strong cup of roobois tea and using that instead of coffee.
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »

Sounds interesting. All of the other alternatives made me gag.
So is it rich and dark and good with cream in it? How long do you think a carton would last if you drank 1 or 2 cups a day?

On a side note.   I have heard of people making a really strong cup of roobois tea and using that instead of coffee.

Umm....it is dark and robust and leaves a little "film" on your tongue that coffee use to.  Does that make sense? LOL!  It doesn't have that "thickness" of coffee, but I ALWAYS put cream and sugar in mine, and it was good. I think a container would probably last around a month or so.  Here is the site:
http://www.dandyblend.com/
Their shipping STINKS, so maybe you can find a health food store to sell you a sample, or something.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2008, 03:44:45 PM »
Chicory is one of my favorites, too.  Not quite coffee but a good sub.   ~L

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2008, 12:21:41 PM »
How long do you think a carton would last if you drank 1 or 2 cups a day?

I just got a carton in the mail, today and it says that a serving is 1 tsp and it has 200 in it!!!!  I like mine a little more robust, so I use two.  It should last a couple months.

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2008, 06:11:07 AM »
I would love to try the Dandyblend but they don't do samples right now. :'( The only store listed in my area hasn't sold it for 6yrs! :o I am a little leary of getting any quantity of it because they use barley and rye. They say it is gluten free but both of these grains have gluten. I am a bit confused on that point........ Has anybody who has a gluten intolerance tried this product?

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2009, 05:15:53 PM »
Has anybody tried Cafix? My husband has started drinking this occasionally to decrease his coffee intake, and while I wouldn't go so far as to say it's fabulous, it's not bad, either. Of course, I rarely drink coffee, so I just may not be familiar with what the real thing tastes like!  ;D

The ingredients are malted barley, barley, chicory, figs, and beet roots. Sounds pretty healthy to me (other than I don't know exactly what malted barley is). And it's really not half bad if you add a little cream to it.  :)
"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2009, 06:09:20 AM »
Has anybody tried Cafix? My husband has started drinking this occasionally to decrease his coffee intake, and while I wouldn't go so far as to say it's fabulous, it's not bad, either. Of course, I rarely drink coffee, so I just may not be familiar with what the real thing tastes like!  ;D

The ingredients are malted barley, barley, chicory, figs, and beet roots. Sounds pretty healthy to me (other than I don't know exactly what malted barley is). And it's really not half bad if you add a little cream to it.  :)

My SIL's drink this regularly and they LOVE it. Of course, they doctor it up with a few drops of Stevia. I tried a cup once, and it wasn't bad...the stevia definitely helps.
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline autumnjoy

• Learning
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2009, 08:54:27 AM »
Has anyone tried making their own coffee with roasted dandelion root? I've heard its pretty good and would be very frugal.

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2009, 01:05:15 PM »
Has anyone tried making their own coffee with roasted dandelion root? I've heard its pretty good and would be very frugal.

I almost did...does that count??  LOL!  I had just had the baby last spring and only got out there to pck off the tops with the older children to eat (we make a batter and lightly pan fry).  I really wanted to dig up the roots and roast them.  My friend aid to roast them on a cookie sheet in 200 degree oven til they are dried out and then grind in coffee grinder. I'm going to try again this spring.  If there is a better way, please let me know!
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2009, 09:56:46 AM »
Okay ladies... here it is!  YERBA MATE!  You have to buy the roasted kind because anything else (leaf, tea, green, etc.) tastes like grass/hay.  It has matteine which is caffeine's natural cousin that provides energy without the nervous jitters! 

Here is a source for yerba mate:
http://www.starwest-botanicals.com/product/1-yerba-mate-roasted-cs.html

Here is a definition for matteine:
Yerba Mate (pronounced MAH-tay) is indigenous to the subtropical rainforests of South America where it is consumed widely (6 to 1 over coffee) and has been used for centuries as an herbal remedy. Mate is gaining popularity in the United States for its robust antioxidant content and for its natural ability to boost energy, improve mood and aid weigh-loss. Mates robust, earthy flavor blends well with other herbs and botanicals.

As a renewable rainforest product grown without harmful pesticides or fertilizers, Octavia Tea's Organic Yerba Maté assists in the conservation of the precious rainforest. Maté production also provides Amazon tribes a viable alternative income to destructive logging and cattle ranching.

Unlike other herbal teas, Mate contains a substance similar to caffeine which is known as "Matteine." Matteine provides energy without the nervous jitters associated with coffee. This natural source of energy is ideal for early mornings, afternoon pick-me-ups or before work-outs. However, those who wish to avoid caffeine should also avoid the invigorating effects of Matteine and opt for one of our 100% caffeine-free Red or Herbal teas instead.

It is awesome!  Hope you all become blissfully addicted!   ;D
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2009, 04:20:48 PM »
Hey i started a thread on Yerba Mate a lonnnnngggg time ago! http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1074.0.html that's funny! still haven't tried the stuff. still sitting on top of my mom's fridge. my sis in law is addicted to the bottled stuff.

ok so i STILL don't know how to post a link to another thread! ::)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:25:01 PM by kittyninja »

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
    • Spark This Marriage - Christian marriage & romance boutique
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2010, 09:10:47 AM »
Great thread!

I had to go "no coffee" when my naturopath put me on a homeopathic treatment. That was over 4 years ago. It was hard. Every time I smelled coffee I went batty. Now I am not doing that treatment anymore so I can drink it if I want, but I have been drinking tea for so long I have not switched back.

Besides... I am saving a fortune! Coffee made at home is spendy and Starbucks is a stack o' cash! ;D