Author Topic: Coffee Alternative?  (Read 32232 times)

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
Coffee Alternative?
« on: November 10, 2007, 08:54:01 AM »
Hi! I was wondering if there is an alternative to coffee that tastes like coffee, but is not addictive.  I love coffee, but when I drink it ,  I ususally end up with the shakes, and feel like I'm on something if I drink it within an hour of taking my suppermom vit.  Anyway, I heard someone say something about it before, but can't remember what it was.  Has anyone heard anything about it????
Thanks, Sarah

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
Re: Coffee Alternative?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 09:08:15 AM »
There is one by the coffee in the grocery store.It begins with a P and is made with wheat.I never drank it but my parents and family loved it.

Em

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 09:14:53 AM »
Not to be too sassy, but when I saw the subject line, I started twitching and had to make a joke.

THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE TO COFFEE EXCEPT DEATH!

That's my two cents, from a caffeine addicted perspective!

However, there are some roasted grain options that you can find at the HFS, on line, or here and there.  I know some people that love them, and some that hate them.  Have to find what tastes good to you!

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 09:18:12 AM »
Ha ha ha!  Give the lady her coffee or someone is bound to get hurt! :o
Thanks I'll look into that.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 09:20:38 AM »
We have used the roasted grain alternative in the grocery store, Postum, sometimes.  It has a roasted, hearty sort of taste.  We found that we preferred some of the herbal teas that are at the hfs.  Some of them have a strong taste that is a passible substitute.  Good Earth Herbal blend was/is one of my favorites. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 09:22:32 AM »
Ah Ha!! Postum that is it!!

Thank You!
It is right next to the coffee on the same isle. Hope you like it.

Em

Offline strawberry

• Learning
    • free range press
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 09:39:50 AM »
I got all excited about Teeccino  - but it does *not* taste like coffee.  It's first ingredient is carob, so that's what it tastes like.  I like carob, so I don't think it's awful, but *is* strong.
mama of 5

Nickole

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 09:58:08 AM »
I used to use those grain alternatives as well.  They were tasty to me, but then I got one that had rye in it b/c I think they were out of the other brand (Whole Foods) and it made my lips so incredibly chapped!  I mean, severe.  I finally connected it to that.  Weird.  I eat rye bread now and everything.  Anyway, I had a severe reaction to the rye, and I don't usually have allergies to anything at all.  I was at Whole Foods yesterday looking for dandelion "coffee" but couldn't find it.   I want to try that - roasted ground dandelion root.  Let me encourage you though - I had to get off coffee b/c long ago I connected it with severe acid reflux I was having.  I switched to tea, and I just don't prefer the taste to coffee anymore.  It took some time.  Every now and then, I like a good latte or cappuccino, but I have pretty much lost the taste for coffee, now.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 10:04:11 AM »
Has anyone tried chicory root for a coffee alternative? It is said to be good for that.

When my dad got parkinsons disease he had to stop drinking his beloved coffee because the caffeine was making him worse. So he went to drinking something called postum ( probably not spelled right) and even tho it was not as good as his beloved coffee he still felt it was good and made for a good coffee alternative.

Nickole

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 10:10:33 AM »
That's the main ingredient in the ones I got at Whole Foods.  Chicory root.   

Offline bakermom

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 11:45:26 AM »
Dandy blend. It tastes great.  You can find it at some health stores and online.  I find I add twice the amount they say to my water and it tastes more robust. I add milk to it.

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 12:44:20 PM »
oops... ;D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 12:48:55 PM by Kati*did »
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 12:47:52 PM »
I got all excited about Teeccino  - but it does *not* taste like coffee.  It's first ingredient is carob, so that's what it tastes like.  I like carob, so I don't think it's awful, but *is* strong.

I second this.  I love Teeccino!  I loved coffee (and still drink it), but I've gotten to where I really love the flavor of the Amaretto Teeccino with cream in it.  And dh loves it with milk and stevia.  IMO, the amaretto is the best flavor, but some of the other ones are pretty good, too.  It is expensive, but  I don't care for Postum and Roma.  Also, Teeccino carries some blends that are more bitter tasting, supposedly more like coffee.  Never had these, but they might be good.  Here's a link to their site:

http://www.teeccino.com/Default.aspx
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 01:06:11 PM by Kati*did »
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 01:12:23 PM »
thanks for all the replys.  I looked up the teeccino, and that looked interesting.  Maybe I'll start there.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 01:20:04 PM »
I have recommended teccinno before, and I liked it.  It doesn't taste like coffee, but it has the same mellowness when you add cream and sugar.  There is also Kaffee Roma blend
http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Kaffree-Roma-Beverage-3-5-Ounce/dp/B000AY9SWM
This one tastes more like instant coffee, without the coffee flavor.  I am with CountryCork, there is no substitute "taste" for coffee.  Coffee tastes like nothing else.  If you give it up, you won't find something similar, but you can find something to take it's place. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 06:36:08 PM »
Um...there is nothing that compares to a strong hot cup of fresh coffee with sweet and cream.  ;D  Come down and I'll make you a cup to prove it.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 03:51:13 AM »
Um...there is nothing that compares to a strong hot cup of fresh coffee with sweet and cream.  ;D  Come down and I'll make you a cup to prove it.
Well HB, I might just have to do that, but you probably live to far away and by the time I got there IT WOULD BE COLD!!!!!  He he he, sorry couldn't help myself. :o

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 04:48:09 AM »
Amen, sister.  You preach it, and I'll turn the page.

..... excuse me, I need a refill.....

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 06:56:31 AM »
Well HB, I might just have to do that, but you probably live to far away and by the time I got there IT WOULD BE COLD!!!!!  He he he, sorry couldn't help myself. :o
I doubt it, I have hot coffee on all the time.  ;D  And then, there's the espresso machine....ahhhhh....cappucino.

Has anyone tried chicory?  Isn't is supposed to taste like coffee?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2007, 07:56:28 AM »

I have tried roasted chicory and it does have a pleasant, IMO, taste.  It's not coffee, though. 
Also, there is a French Market brand coffee out there that is part coffee, part chicory.  I used to drink this brand a lot, as it gives you the coffee taste and the chicory taste.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline Linguist77

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2007, 08:03:14 AM »
Celestial Seasonings has a tea called Roastaroma that I like. It has chicory and a few other things in it. I liked my coffee black and strong, so I find the Roastaroma has the exact right strength for me. If you're a cream-and-sugar coffee drinker, you may not like this one.

Someone drink a cup for me ... I finished my one precious package ages ago and I can't get any more!   :-\  :)

***Edit ... Note to the thrifty: you can use one Roastaroma bag at least 3 times, BTW, and it's still nice and strong.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 08:20:41 AM by Linguist77 »
Laura in Arizona

www.theylivedintents.com

M, age 4: "I'm a good tornado that looks like a frog!"

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2007, 08:10:37 AM »

I second this.  I love Teeccino!  I loved coffee (and still drink it), but I've gotten to where I really love the flavor of the Amaretto Teeccino with cream in it.  And dh loves it with milk and stevia.  IMO, the amaretto is the best flavor, but some of the other ones are pretty good, too.  It is expensive, but  I don't care for Postum and Roma.  Also, Teeccino carries some blends that are more bitter tasting, supposedly more like coffee.  Never had these, but they might be good.  Here's a link to their site:

http://www.teeccino.com/Default.aspx

I love teecino also but the Vanilla Nut is my favorite (with creamer of course).  A friend of ours is repulsed by the smell of it so he got a hold of some dandelion root instant stuff that isn't too bad and very good for you.

I agree.....nothing beats the real taste of coffee.  For now, since I'm expecting, I binge on decaf Starbucks for a real treat.  Maybe once a month I'll have a cup but oh the goodness of real stuff!

A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2007, 09:45:29 AM »

I don't like the taste of coffee other then in desserts but I did make a chicory tea yday with my dried chicoy roots just to see if it tasted like coffee.

It could have been in my head or because it was made with my hubby's coffee machine but it did seem to have a real mild coffee flavoring. My husband did not notice it as much but  that could be because he likes his coffee strong.

I think if I had used a lot of chicory roots, instead of only 2, that it would have been more like coffee. But probably nothing comes close to a strong coffee.

Nickole

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2007, 11:02:34 AM »

I have tried roasted chicory and it does have a pleasant, IMO, taste.  It's not coffee, though. 
Also, there is a French Market brand coffee out there that is part coffee, part chicory.  I used to drink this brand a lot, as it gives you the coffee taste and the chicory taste.

Ahhhh - Cafe Du Monde.  Love that stuff.  Been to the Cafe in N'Awlins .  I used to drink that coffee all the time.  I should get it again, at least for hubby. 

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2007, 12:34:01 PM »
I doubt it, I have hot coffee on all the time.  ;D  And then, there's the espresso machine....ahhhhh....cappucino.
?
In that case I'll be right over. ;D
I am going to give some of these things a try.  I love to try new things.  But I must admit I am slightly disappointed that there isn't something out there that taste just like coffee but isn't coffee and is good for you.  But I suppose that would be asking too much now wouldn't it be? ::)

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2007, 01:02:59 PM »

Ahhhh - Cafe Du Monde.  Love that stuff.  Been to the Cafe in N'Awlins .  I used to drink that coffee all the time.  I should get it again, at least for hubby. 

Ha ha I have not heard anyone call New Orleans N'Awlins since I was last down there. I love the accent down there. Kind of reminds me of a New York style accent mixed in with southern twang.

Most everything down there taste good. I don't even like coffee but if I had a chance to go back down there and visit that coffee cafe I would like it I'm sure. LOL.

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2007, 02:00:07 PM »
Would anyone know of a place that sends out samples of the Celestial Seasonings Roastaroma?

My dad could use an alternative and this sounds like it might be good.

Sandra
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2007, 05:54:22 PM »
?
In that case I'll be right over. ;D
I am going to give some of these things a try.  I love to try new things.  But I must admit I am slightly disappointed that there isn't something out there that taste just like coffee but isn't coffee and is good for you.  But I suppose that would be asking too much now wouldn't it be? ::)
Whoever said, coffee isn't good for you ???  I think you're being misled.  ;D

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,27.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2007, 03:31:08 AM »
it must have been the crazies ;D

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 04:04:21 AM »
I figured coffee wasn't good for you because it dehydrates you. Plus it turns your teeth yellow. :(I drink a big cup anyway every day but i would like to find something to replace it...perferable not brown or black. Thats why i use a lot of creamer which I'm sure is much worse for me then the coffee. :-*But man it sure taste good. :D
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4