Author Topic: I lost 25 pounds on the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet  (Read 262354 times)

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
Re: I lost 25 pounds on the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2008, 11:18:05 AM »

This is what I'm afraid of! If I ever START eating the carbs, I'm done for. So, does the book address this? How you can eat some carbs @ the reward meal & NOT want to eat the rest of the night???

I guess it has to do with the idea that since you only release a moderate amount of insulin at your reward meal (insulin helps to signal hunger), that the cravings are controlled.  Trust me, I understand what you're saying; I crave sweets like anything, and I will eat anything sweet and stuff myself just for the taste of it.  Since I like sweets, I usually have dessert make up a large part of my carbs for my RM; but I've actually had to cut the size in half because I actually realized I was stuffed!  Am I perfect at this?  Absolutely not; but I am making progress!  The hardest thing for me is not grazing throughout the day.  But I can honestly say I am no longer fixated on eating - or on not eating when I am on a "diet".  A while ago I got a good deal on the Chromium GTF and got 2 bottles; I am only part way through my 1st bottle.  When I finish my bottles, I will try and go without and see if it makes a difference for me.

I just love being able to have regular food.  Personally, I now drink a cup of coffee w/ heavy cream for my breakfast; I'm not hungry when I get up.  If things slow down or stall, that would probably be the 1st thing I would cut to see if it is holding me back.  Like so many things, you have to try and do it as suggested, then tweak it for your own body.

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2008, 12:10:10 PM »
www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/554513-carbohydrate-addict-s-diet-summer.html

Here's a thread where people talk about the way they make it work.  It's not highly technical, but you can read the different variations that some people have used to get the weight loss going.  It's a nice, 'safe' board to visit, for what it's worth!

burlsgirl

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2008, 12:11:24 PM »
Just thought I'd report, too. This is day two for me. I knew I'd need to make lunch today my reward meal, as our whole family was out of town & eating out, and I knew that before eating a reward meal, I should have two consecutive "complementary" meals, so yesterday, dh & I both ate low/no carbs all three meals. Then eggs for breakfast, and then reward meal for lunch.

I ordered just what I wanted: chicken chimichanga w/ rice & beans, chips & salsa (of course), and turtle (chocolate, caramel & pecan) empanadas. I was a bit disappointed to find that I was getting way full only half-way through the meal, and could only eat half the dessert. If you knew me, you'd know that just three days ago, I would have eaten everything on that table and would have wanted more! Sometimes the only thing that kept me from eating all I wanted was sheer embarrassment!

Anyway, it's five hours later, I'm still completely full. Will make a salad for dinner.

Oh, and my weight was down this morning, but I'm going to do the weekly average thing they talk about before I officially report on any loss/gain.

My mom has their Lifespan book, where it gets into more of the plate dividing, having to eat the salads, etc... Right now, I'm keeping it simple with just the two no/low carb meals & one sensible reward meal. Especially now that I'm seeing that I won't be able to eat that whole cheesecake after all!  ;) :D

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2008, 12:18:57 PM »
Good day for you!  I hope this gives you the tools you need to work with!  I'm just excited about where this is headed for me, and I hope it works that way for you, too!  I do CALP - it laid things out nicely.  It offers you the basic plan, then tells you things to try if you feel you need to do more! 

Offline mama4God

• Learning
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2008, 02:48:10 PM »
That's exactly what I'm afraid of, having to do something "extra" for me, besides make meals for my man and 6 kiddos (8 and under).  I'm still waiting for my book  :'( .  But at least it's not counting points like on Weight Watchers.  Tried that and it was toooooo much for me at this point in life.  Good for you that your second day was easier!!!  :)  That is encouraging!

Think I could start without the book??

sheri
My hope is built on nothing less than JESUS' blood and righteousness!

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2008, 03:05:02 PM »
That's great to hear Its_me!  :) And encouraging for me to keep on.

I find that if I cut up a bunch of veggies and leave them in the fridge raw it makes it nicer for those busy times when I don't have time to fix a meal. I can just reach in and grab the raw veggies and pig out.

I also boil up a bunch of eggs and have them to eat with the veggies. I don't really care to take the time to make 3 large meals a day but I do take the time to make a large supper at night. The other 2 meals we don't eat much or just eat easy stuff unless it is pancakes. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 05:52:56 PM by BJ_BOBBI_JO »

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2008, 05:45:57 PM »

sheri

Here's a CAD/CALP cheat sheet someone else made up - I have mine on my frig although I don't look at it much anymore.  I've kind of learned what foods are on it (that I will eat) and just eat them!  Just make sure you read the book as soon as you get it so it doesn't become just meaningless rules!

Sorry this is so long - I'm a little awkward about cutting and pasting!

1. EAT TWO MEALS OR TWO MEALS AND A SNACK COMPRISED OF THE LISTED FOODS.
2. EAT 12-16 OUNCES OF PROTEIN A DAY; MOSTLY RED MEAT, DARK MEAT POULTRY, AND FISH.
3. EXCEPT FOR THE AMOUNTS LISTED, ITEMS ARE LIMITED TO 3 GRAMS OF CARBOHYDRATE/ITEM AND A TOTAL OF 6 GRAMS/MEAL FOR CONDIMENTS/OTHER ITEMS.
4. A SNACK IS ONE-HALF THE SIZE OF A MEAL. ALWAYS CARRY AN ALLOWED SNACK SUCH AS BEEF JERKY WITH YOU WHEN OUT.
3. DO NOT EAT ANY FOOD DURING YOUR NON-CARBOHYDRATE MEALS WITH MORE THAN 3 GRAMS OF CARBOHYDRATE PER SERVING.
5. HAVE ONE BALANCED REWARD MEAL W/SALAD EATING WHATEVER YOU WANT, HOWEVER MUCH YOU WANT. EAT NO LONGER THAN 60 CONTINUOUS MINUTES. DO NOT LET MORE THAN 20 MINUTES LAPSE BETWEEN FOODS TAKEN WITHIN THE 60 MINUTE REWARD MEAL.
6. CALP GUIDE IS TO HAVE A BALANCED REWARD MEAL COMPRISED OF 1/3 PROTEIN, 1/3 VEGETABLES AND 1/3 CARBOHYDRATES (INCLUDING DESSERT AND ALCOHOL)
7. EXCEPT FOR SPECIAL OCCASIONS, HAVE REWARD MEAL FOR THE SAME MEAL EACH DAY.
8. OTHER THAN DIET SOFT DRINKS, SUGAR SUBSTITUTES AND SUGAR-FREE GELATIN; DO NOT USE DIET OR LOW FAT PRODUCTS WITHOUT CHECKING CARBOHYDRATES.
9. LIMIT DIET SOFT DRINKS TO 2 AND ADDITIONAL SUGAR SUBSTITUTES TO 2 PER DAY. AVOID MSG.
10. DRINK 8-10 12 OUNCE GLASSES OF WATER A DAY.
11. USE UP TO 2 OUNCES MILK, HEAVY LIGHT OR COFFEE CREAM IN YOUR COFFEE ONCE A DAY AND DRINK IT WITHIN 15 MINUTES, OTHERWISE HAVE IT BLACK. DO NOT USE NON-DAIRY POWDER.
12. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. FOOD ALLERGIES/SENSITIVITIES CAN ALSO CAUSE CRAVINGS, GAS, BLOATED/UPSET STOMACHES, AND HEADACHES. IF ANY OF THESE SYMPTOMS RESULT FROM THE REWARD MEAL, INVESTIGATE/FIND THE CULPRIT FOOD AND MINIMIZE/AVOID IT IN YOUR DIET.
13. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY II. SOME CARBOHYDRATE ADDICTS CAN REACT TO THESE FOODS WITH INCREASED APPETITE/CRAVINGS ALSO—ARTIFICIAL SUGARS, SUGAR ALCOHOLS, DIET SODAS, CAFFEINE, COTTAGE CHEESE, YOGURT, BROCCOLI, RED PEPPER AND OTHER HIGHER CARB VEGGIES. IF ANY OF THESE AFFECT YOU, ONLY HAVE THEM WITH YOUR REWARD MEAL.

PROTEIN (4-6 oz. Cooked, 6-8 oz. Raw/meal)
Any tofu, meat, game, poultry, containing 3 grams of carbohydrate or less per serving.
Any fish or shellfish without added fillers or sugars. Do not eat imitation lobster, crab or fish.
Any cheese containing 3 grams of carbohydrate or less per serving.
Eggs or egg substitutes containing 3 grams of carbohydrate or less per serving.
Watch out for prepared egg, meat or fish salads, they often put breadcrumbs in them to extend them.

FATS, OILS AND DRESSINGS
Heavy cream, sour cream, cream cheese, fats, oils or dressings containing 3 grams of carbohydrate or less per serving.

VEGETABLES (2 cups raw or 1 cup cooked or mixture/meal; do not count lettuces)
Alfalfa sprouts                     Artichoke Hearts
Arugula
Asparagus
Bamboo shoots
Beans (green or wax)
Bean Sprouts
Cabbage, all kinds
Capers
Cauliflower
Celery
Chicory
Collard Greens
Cucumbers
Dill Pickles
Eggplant
Endive
Fennel
Kale
Kohlrabi
Lettuce, all kinds
Mushrooms
Mustard Greens
Okra
Onions (2 tbsp)
Parsley
Peppers
Pimientos
Radishes
Sauerkraut
Scallions
Sorrel
Spinach
Squash (summer only)
Swiss Chard
Tomatoes (raw, ¼ only)
Turnip Greens
Watercress
Zucchini

CONDIMENTS/OTHER

All herbs
Bouillon
Consommé
Catsup (2 tbsp)
Garlic

Garlic/onion powder
Horseradish
Hot sauce
Lime/lemon juice (2 tbsp)

Mustard
Olives
Pepper
Pork Rinds
Salt

Soy flour
Soy sauce
Tofu flour
Whey Protein
Vinegar

burlsgirl

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2008, 01:54:28 AM »
That's exactly what I'm afraid of, having to do something "extra" for me, besides make meals for my man and 6 kiddos (8 and under).  I'm still waiting for my book  :'( .  But at least it's not counting points like on Weight Watchers.  Tried that and it was toooooo much for me at this point in life.  Good for you that your second day was easier!!!  :)  That is encouraging!

sheri

Sheri,
I just wanted to say that I'm basically feeding the kiddos the same things I'm eating. If we have eggs for breakfast, whereas I eat only eggs, they eat eggs w/ fruit. And there's always the reward meal, where you just fix what you'd always fix.

Supper (dinner) is that meal for us, so nothing changed at all, except for the fact that now I can actually fix MORE things!!  The other two meals are easy to just feed the kids & add in fruit/bread for them. But you wouldn't have to fix two separate meals. 

My husband is actually doing it with me, which if you knew him, is so very funny! It's really easy, I'm finding.

Here goes Day 3!

HTH,
Emily

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2008, 05:21:53 AM »
I love reading this thread! Its very encouraging! This is day 3 for me too. Day 2 was way easier!! And I found this for myself too: at my reward meal, by the time I get done eating my salad, I barely have any room left to "pig out". Its weird. But awesome!!

I do have a question though: is anyone have any "withdrawal" or anything? Cuz yesterday I wasn't feeling so good. Kinda nauseated and had a headache. I drink lots and lots of water. Could it be "withdrawal"?

And another, speaking of feeding the kids: should the kids be on this diet too or should I still allow them to have their regular food? When does eating carbs become bad?? Not when they're 4, right? I'm a little worried about that part. Any insight?

Thanks so much ladies!! Have a great day!  ;D
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2008, 08:18:55 AM »
The feeling lousy part could definitely be due to carb withdrawals.  I felt like I felt kind of nauseated, headachy, draggy (I know I'm making up words, but they just seem to fit!); I think it lasted maybe 3-4 days?  Once it was over, though, then I felt great.  I also occ. had to run to the bathroom at the beginning about 1 hr. after meals; let's just say that constipation wasn't a problem! :o  I soon learned to not go off in the car right after my big meal until my body got used to my WOE.

Hang in there - that lousy feeling will go away!  If you were doing straight Atkins, they have called it "induction flu", since induction is a strict no carb phase they begin with.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2008, 11:03:50 AM »

And another, speaking of feeding the kids: should the kids be on this diet too or should I still allow them to have their regular food? When does eating carbs become bad?? Not when they're 4, right? I'm a little worried about that part. Any insight?

Thanks so much ladies!! Have a great day!  ;D

The only carb "limiting" I would do with kids is breads.  But even then, if they have a sandwich, give them a half sandwich with one piece of bread and then add fruit, veggies, etc. to the side.  Kids do need carbs but I think it's prudent to get them used to not having too many as breads are a killer as people get older.  So I'd say stick with brown rice for them and avoid the breads and potatoes on a regular basis just because they aren't as healthy, not because the kids should be "low carb" per se.  In our house my kids do mostly proteins with fruits and veggies with maybe 1/2 slice of bread a day. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

burlsgirl

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2008, 01:50:41 PM »
End of day three and all is well.........I think.

We made a bacon & cheese quiche (crustless, of course) for breakfast, and it was a hit with the kids!

At lunch time, we were running errands in town still, and due over at a friend's house, so we did the drive through thing. I got McDonald's double cheeseburger & threw away the bun. I ordered a diet coke, but it was either a really good diet coke, or they messed up & gave me the "real" thing... Anyway, I'm totally paranoid at this point, so I dump the whole thing out & go to a different place & order another!!

For supper, we did spaghetti with brown rice pasta (YUM), with salad. Well, I was just working away at my sauce when I realized I was EATING by tasting! Grrrr!! So, I quick fixed my salad, ate it, then scarfed down a bowl of spaghetti then a dark chocolate blueberry bar! I'm full, but that was the fastest meal EVER!! Not very relaxing and marginally pleasurable!

Anyway, I'm actually looking forward to my black coffee with my reading tonight. The scales were the same this morning  :(.

I know it's in my head, and most likely b/c I rushed my supper, but I "feel" like I've done something "wrong". Like I'm going to wake up tomorrow & have gained 3 pounds! Does that make sense??

Can't wait to hear how everyone else is doing!

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2008, 06:02:01 PM »
Don't want to make you paranoid, but just to give a little warning:  be careful about artificial sweeteners like splenda, equal, or etc.  Some people feel like just the sweet taste of something, even without calories or carbs, triggers the body to release insulin.  It thinks taste sweet, need more insulin!  Other people say they don't have a problem with artificial sweeteners.  I think that diet coke was hindering my progress; I've chosen to only have an artificial sweetener with my reward meal.

Again, this isn't about rules!  This is about the way your body handles its insulin issues.  If artificial sweeteners don't hold you back, then go for it.  I just wanted to give you a little hint about this; if you're not losing weight and you can't figure out why, this is one of the things you're told to take into consideration in the CALP book.  Keep on going - it sounds like you're handling things well!

Offline berthday

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2008, 02:00:43 AM »
I would love to see sample meals of what your day consits of.
Also, is this something I could do while breastfeeding?

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2008, 08:47:56 AM »
I would love to see sample meals of what your day consits of.
Also, is this something I could do while breastfeeding?
Well, can I say this enough?  ??? I'm LOVING this way of eating!!! It is so simple!! And I have already lost weight!! And its only been 3 days!!  ;D

I would also love to see sample meals, so I'll share a few of mine.

Breakfast: I make an egg pancake (using 3 eggs, no milk, some salt/pepper) While that is frying in Olive Oil, I sautee some mushrooms & peppers. When all is done, I put some cheese on the egg, add the veggies, and eat it up. Its totally delicious!! And its so filling, I can't ever finish all of it.  ;D

Lunch is usually just some chicken with a salad. Its fast, easy, and filling!!!  ;)

I did make a "dish" last night. I fried up some beef stew meat, chopped up some onions, celery, and a whole head of cabbage and mixed it all with some seasonings, poured a little water and basically just let the cabbage cook through. It tastes good and is low carb!!  ;)

But this is only day 4 for me, so I am DEFINITELY looking for more ideas!!  ;)
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2008, 10:17:54 AM »
I'll share what I've been doing.  Remember, I just started in May!  Actually I'm down to about 2 meals a day.  I started with 2 complementary meals and 1 reward meal, but my hunger has decreased to such an extent that I no longer eat breakfast.

I usually have a cup of coffee with 1T cream in the morning.  Then, around 11-1 I have lunch.  It's usually tuna salad, or 2 eggs w/ 1 T coconut oil and 1T cream cheese cooked with some ham and cheese added in or meat from the previous pm meal along with a small salad or 2 stalks of celery. 

Then for supper, I start with a good-sized salad(often I'm lazy or busy and it's just lettuce with a little cheese and regular salad dressing, low-carb veggie like green beans,  meat, and then I often have something sweet for my carbs.  With my reward meal I drink cold-brewed iced tea w/ sweetener.  Throughout the day I drink plain iced tea (somehow I've learned to drink this and it's fine now, but I do love it sweet!) and lots of water.

If you knew the way I ate before, you'd be amazed at how I eat now!  I take Supermom, calcium, magnesium, and vitamin c once or twice a day.  I have settled into this routine, and it works well with my family and their lives.  I can take better care of myself, without taking my emphasis of caring for them.  If I stop losing, I have several options of how to tweak it; for now, I'm still losing 1-3 # a week.  I'm eating more whole foods than I ever have.  Between the celery, coconut oil, and magnesium, I don't have problems with being regular.

burlsgirl

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2008, 10:57:57 AM »
I'll share, too. It's only day 4 for me, but I did a strict Adkins diet some years back that I stuck too for 10 months. I like this SO much better, b/c it doesn't feel like a diet.

Anyway, for breakfast, it's usually eggs. My favorite is eggs fried in coconut oil. SO filling. Or I'll make some sort of scramble w/ veggies and/or cheese. I LOVE spinach & feta in scrambled eggs!

Lunch is either salad with grilled chicken or a hamburger patty, or a big plate of stir-fried veggies, sometimes with cheese, sometimes with sour cream. I really love cabbage cooked down with squash & zucchini & onions,sometimes w/ a little cheese.  Sour kraut with Hebrew National (better than nothing) hot dogs cut up in it is also yummy.

Today has been a good day as far as not eating any carbs, but I've been really hungry today. The weird thing is, it's not a snacky type of hunger,where I want to just eat a bunch of junk... not at all. It's real, stomach growling hunger. I did some thinking back on my meals today, and I think I'm not getting enough fat. I'm going to work on that tomorrow.

My dh just called me to tell me he was hungry, too, so to fix a lot of whatever I was fixing for our reward meal! He's been wanting peas & cornbread, and is so glad to have found a diet that will not keep him from his favorites!

Oh, and the scale was down a  pound this morning! Can't wait to average out the weight this weekend.

Has anyone tried the recipes in the CAD book for the complementary bread/muffins?? What about the cheesecakes? I'm so tempted to try that one!

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • Naturally-reared, moderately-sized Aussie puppies!
    • RunAmok Farm * Moderately-sized Australian Shepherds
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2008, 07:57:52 PM »
Still waiting on MY book...   ::)  *sigh*  I was holding out, gearing up to start after I received my book... but finally decided to just jump in and start without it.   :D 

Today was my first day.  I read through most of the thread, but was scared I wouldn't do it right, so went with Atkins for today... except for an "accidental" bite of Peanut butter & jelly tortilla sandwich (dd's - I "forgot" my plan until I swallowed the first bite.   :-[)  Then, much later in the day, another "accidental" swallow of ds's Vitamin water.  I took the second drink and then, before swallowing, realized my horrifying error!  (ha), I was driving, so pulled over and spit it out.  The rest of the day went really well, though since I decided to do Atkins for the first few days till I get my book, I didn't have a real "reward" meal - so am beginning to feel the familiar carb cravings -- but I will be strong... must... be... strong...

;D ;D ;D ;D
J
NR Australian Shepherds & SARF consultations
www.runamokfarm.com
Custom Pyrography (woodburning)
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline mama4God

• Learning
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2008, 03:47:22 AM »
Thank you, CKMom, for the cheat sheet!  There was a hitch in my order, so the book is late in coming, so I did start yesterday with the basics from the cheat sheet.  I hope I'm getting things right!  But, I am amazed how much my cravings are already going away!  My hubby's little company picnic was last night, but I did just the chicken leg and veggies, then a small piece of Tandycake for my reward.  But, I had coffee with it.  AND I nursed it over half an hour.  That, I understand, was a no-no.

So, today, I will endeavor to be more careful.  Am looking forward to some sample menus........!   ;D

SO thankful for this thread!  I love reading how everyone is doing!

Sheri

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2008, 05:32:33 AM »
Here is a concept I like:

One can still lose weight and not look fit and trim and not feel good. But when they lose fat inches they will look and feel better.

Strive to lose fat inches more then weight.

burlsgirl

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2008, 09:28:53 AM »
I just want to thank everyone who's contributed to this thread.  I just found it this morning and I feel like I've struck gold!  :D 

I took the little quiz and according to my answers I'm a 'severe' carb freak. I NEVER would have guessed it.  It's been really hard (read: impossible) to lose weight since having my gall bladder out about 7 years ago (didn't know any better :P).  Exercising like crazy, walking miles, lifting weights, passing up dessert ---NOTHING has had any affect on my wieght. Except maybe make me gain more. No wonder so many people just give up.  :P

But after reading this thread, I believe I may have found an answer.  I've always been disgusted by the Atkins diet, as I'm really not a fan of meat. And the thought of eating so much meat is really gross to me.  But it doesn't sound like this WOE is that way.

To think of losing the weight I need to lose and getting the clothes I no longer fit out of storage and feeling like ME again is just... beyond exciting. 
And because of reading your "real life" scenarios, I think I can do this! 
So my question at this point is what book do I need to get?  It looks like there are few different ones by the authors and I'd like to order mine as quickly as I can.   
Thanks!

Rainy,

I'm no expert, as this is my first full week, but it's been SUPER easy! I haven't felt the least bit deprived. There was one day I was hungry, but it was b/c I didn't have enough fat that day.

As to the books, I have The Carbohydrate Addicts Diet, and I use the plan in that book. The other book is the CAD Lifespan Program. My mom has that one. The plans are different mainly in that in the first one (CAD), you basically have two low/no carb meals then a reward meal, in which you eat whatever you want, as long as you finish it within a one hour time frame.

In the second book (CADLP), the plan is basically the same, except that they structure the reward meal for you: start out by eating a salad, then divide your plate into thirds with one third being protein, one third low carb veggie, and the other third is your "reward", as in sweets, starchy carb, whatever.

I'm using the first book for three reasons:
1. I ordered it before I knew there was another!
2. The first book's plan is more basic, &  less to think about. It doesn't "feel" restrictive to me, therefore I don't "feel" like rebelling, if that makes sense! I know that eating a salad first, dividing my plate & such isn't complicated. I know. But I know how I am, and "feeling" like I HAVE to do something JUST SO, makes me not want to do it. And besides...
3.  I pretty much always try to eat a balanced meal anyway. For example, I will almost always fix a meat, some green veggie. The great thing about this diet is that NOW, I can ALSO fix more of the other things that I like and are healthy like brown rice, potatoes, whole grain rolls, etc... without feeling "bad" about eating it. And desert, too!

From reading the first book, it seems that many, many people lost weight with the basic plan. I hope that will be true for me. So far, I've lost 2+ pounds. They advise to weigh everyday then average out the #s at the end of the week. I'll do that tomorrow. But the scales are moving in the right direction! If I find I'm not losing as I should, I'll have to pay closer attention to the reward meals.

I will say that there have been at least two reward meals this week that I did more binging than feasting, just because I could! I'm not foolish enough to believe I could do that every night & expect to lose weight. But, just knowing I can have it is definitely curbing the "need" to eat all I can, when I can.

The best part is that the constant cravings are gone.

And the cupcake cheesecakes are great!

HTH,
Emily

cecac

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2008, 11:50:14 AM »
So, could you all think for me here? ;D

If my hubby and I eat eggs and either a piece of fruit or some green veggie for breakfast, a salad with meat and olive oil salad dressing for lunch, and then our basic dinner meal (usually whole foods with beans/whole grains/some meat/veggies) at dinner then I would be on this diet.  Right?

I could handle that, I think.  Low carb makes me ill.  But if I eat my complex carbs within one hour and only at dinner (the treat meal, right?) then I don't think I'd feel ill.  That would be enough complex carbs in a day.

Oh, and BJ, I'd keep doing my T-tapp and I'm trying to fit in a little walking, too, so I'm thinking that would insure that I was losing fat and firming up, Right?

Thanks ya'll.
Cara

burlsgirl

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2008, 12:11:07 PM »
So, could you all think for me here? ;D

If my hubby and I eat eggs and either a piece of fruit or some green veggie for breakfast, a salad with meat and olive oil salad dressing for lunch, and then our basic dinner meal (usually whole foods with beans/whole grains/some meat/veggies) at dinner then I would be on this diet.  Right?

I could handle that, I think.  Low carb makes me ill.  But if I eat my complex carbs within one hour and only at dinner (the treat meal, right?) then I don't think I'd feel ill.  That would be enough complex carbs in a day.

Oh, and BJ, I'd keep doing my T-tapp and I'm trying to fit in a little walking, too, so I'm thinking that would insure that I was losing fat and firming up, Right?

Thanks ya'll.
Cara

Basically, yes, EXCEPT that you would have to fore go the fruit at breakfast. All carbs at breakfast & lunch would need to be four carbs or less per serving.

Ladies, correct me if I'm wrong, here!

cecac

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2008, 12:38:08 PM »
Ahhh---I wondered about that.  See, someone up on the thread said she was eating spinach or collard greens with her eggs and bacon.  I'm okay with that, except I have to plan it more than say, eating a half apple with my eggs.  AND I have to send it with hubby, too.

Are there no easy, low carb fruits that we could eat 1/2 of?  Or what about a cup of raw milk/kefir?

Or what about some organic blueberries with 1/2 cup kefir on top with two eggs?  Would that do?

Thank you Emily!!
Cara

burlsgirl

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2008, 01:08:07 PM »
Ahhh---I wondered about that.  See, someone up on the thread said she was eating spinach or collard greens with her eggs and bacon.  I'm okay with that, except I have to plan it more than say, eating a half apple with my eggs.  AND I have to send it with hubby, too.

Are there no easy, low carb fruits that we could eat 1/2 of?  Or what about a cup of raw milk/kefir?

Or what about some organic blueberries with 1/2 cup kefir on top with two eggs?  Would that do?

Thank you Emily!!
Cara

Well, in the low carb world, there ARE no low-carb fruits!  :D The "plan" is that you would just have them with your reward meal.

You don't HAVE to have anything with your eggs. I usually don't. Unless it's bacon!

It's also "no" to the milk & kefir, except at your reward meal. The exception here is that you are allowed two ounces of milk/cream/half & half with a cup of coffee once per day. I have this with my breakfast.

It sounds like you're eating so well, anyway, without any diet!!If you still want to do this diet, then just throw those healthy things into your reward meal, and you'll do even BETTER...than those of us who eat peanut M&M's at theirs!!  ;)

cecac

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2008, 01:12:23 PM »
Thank you Emily.

But the truth is we probably binge too often.  I think this idea of having one meal with complex carbs per day might just work.

Okay, so I'll load up on frozen spinach. ;D  I'll have that for breakfast with my eggs.  I do need to be careful because I'm nursing.  Hmmm, I guess I could eat cheese with the eggs to beef up calories.

And I think hubby can get eggs and bacon at work at the cafeteria, so I'll just make sure he has a nice big salad (low carb veggies only) at lunch.

Offline rainygladness

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2008, 03:20:51 PM »
Thank you, Emily!
Always remember you're unique - just like everybody else!

Offline thus_I_fight

• Adept
    • My xanga page
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2008, 04:10:56 PM »
I don't know how well this diet would work with nursing...it might do fine.  A few years ago I tried the Atkins diet when my daughter was about a year old, and still nursing a lot.  I figured it wouldn't matter as much since she was past a year old.  But it lowered my milk supply dramatically; she would try to nurse, and be "wrestling," trying to get more milk.  Again, this one may be better, but I wanted to post that word of caution.  :)
"I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.  The LORD God is my strength, He will make my feet like deer's feet, and He will make me walk on my high hills." Habakkuk 3:19

cecac

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2008, 04:16:56 PM »
Thank you thus_i_fight!!  I'll try this cautiously.  I am thinking it will be okay because I'm not really hungry in the morning anyway.  That doesn't kick in until lunch.

I might have to add carbs at lunch, but I could try a small amount with more protein.

If I can't do it, I'll go back to the God made/man made diet by T-tapp.  It was working for me, but not for hubby.  I am attempting to find something we can do together. 

Offline mama4God

• Learning
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2008, 09:01:24 AM »
Can I say I LOVE THIS WAY OF EATING?!!  :D  I'm on day three.....and have lost nearly 4 pounds!  Before I was always craving something......and giving in  :-X  but since the cravings have subsided, I'm able to stay on track!  I slipped once this morning on the way to church.  I have had the habit to chew a 1/2 stick of gum to freshen my breath.........I was chomping and realized I shouldn't be!  :-[  So, out it went.

But otherwise, this is a great "diet"......eggs and bacon, with coffee, for breakfast?!  This is a dream come true! 

Thanks, Emily, for your posts!

Sheri