Author Topic: I lost 25 pounds on the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet  (Read 247148 times)

Offline blessedmamadp

• Adept
I lost 25 pounds on the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet
« on: November 08, 2007, 07:23:42 AM »
I've lost 25 lbs. in 2 months and I LOVE IT!!

This is the best, the easiest, the most wonderful diet I've ever found!

Here's the simple rules to follow:
1- breakfast and lunch low carb
All I do is look to see if the veggies are 4g carbs or less.  If it's higher I cannot eat it for B or L.
2 - Dinner is my Reward meal
Start with 2 cups of salad
The rest of the meal consists of
1/3 meat
1/3 low carb veggies
1/3 anything I want!!
You also have a 1 hour time limit to complete your reward meal

The reward meal is flexible.  I had girlfriends who wanted to  take me out for lunch.  I found a meal that fit close to what I needed to eat on the diet and had a dessert (they surprised me with a yummy cheesecake!)

They recommend that you weigh everyday.  Most days I see the scale going down.  Especially since we got a digital scale.  After 2 weeks I hit a plateau where I didn't lose anything for two weeks, but I knew that could happen.

The book explains very well why this works.  Also it helps with cravings because I can have things I want - just within the rules.  :)  Yesterday we wanted baked potatos.  I had a small one and 2 scoops of ice cream.  And I still lose weight.  Most of the time I eat a scoop of ice cream and a candy bar at my reward meal.

It feels so good to eat healthy and still have what I want!

Oh, and I've discovered 2 things on this diet.
1-I've finally regulated my bowels and learned how to stop my IBS!  For breakfast I have eggs and bacon or sausage.  I was having trouble with that.  Well, I remembered my chiropractor telling me to eat more greens to help.  So, I add either collards, spinach, or turnips to my breakfast.  VIOLA!  Instant regularity!!!!!
2-I can go all day on all that protein for breakfast.  I have more energy and I"m not hungry till dinner.  So, I skip lunch.

It works for me!  Maybe it'd work for someone else. The book was written by Rachel Heller and her husband.  She has a Doctorate in psycology.  She had been 200+ from age 12 on.  I think she was in her late thirties when she discovered this way of eating.  Since her hubby had a doctorate in Research Biology, they put their expertise together and researched it.  He had struggled with losing that last 15 for years. He even ran 5-10 miles a day for a year or more and couldn't lose it!  Finally he tried this way of eating and they both lost the weight and kept it off!

The book is written so that it is very easy to understand what is happening in our bodies. 

I searched the board for Carbohydrate Addict's Diet and didn't find anything, so I thought I'd post about it.  Hope this helps someone else!

Offline amy3js

• Master
Re: I lost 25 pounds on the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 08:19:07 AM »
Sounds kinda like the plate method, only with sugar. Do you have any snacks? I'm assuming the 1/3 is of your plate?
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.

Offline blessedmamadp

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 04:28:31 PM »
UPDATE!!!

Someone sent me a PM and asked how it was going.  I realized I hadn't updated here.

Well, it has been almost 8 months since I started.  It has been easy to keep.  Yeah I went off some, 'specially through the holidays.  But I only gained back about 5 lbs - not bad!

So, here it is.  I've lost a total of.....75 lbs!!!!!

Yeah!!!

I have about 30-35 more I want to lose.  I had gotten up to 260 so, just a bit more to go.  Then I want to work on getting in shape.  We haven't been exercising at all and it's getting time to get some muscles here.  One of my goals is to get my BF analysis down.  It's about 35% right now.  It needs to be about 26% I think, to be at the top range.

My hubby loves it.  He's not as strict as me, but he's lost about 40 lbs.  He's almost where he wants to be.

So, has anyone else tried it?  I'd like to see other peoples results.

Blessings!

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 11:30:51 AM »
Blessedmamamdp,  Thank you, Thank you! Thank you!

I just wanted to thank you for posting about CAD.  I happened to read your May post and it made me curious.  To be honest, I really didn't think there was something out there that I could really complete, but I decided to get the CALP book.  I started that WOE on May 18, and as of today I have lost 30#!  I am eating healthier than I have in years, and I still get to have ice cream every night!  I didn't start an exercise program until I had lost 25#; but after losing even this much I actually want to start moving.  This definitely seems to work with my body's metabolism without a daily fight to stay out of the kitchen.  It was hard at the beginning, but it seems to be "clicking" now!

I still have probably 50# to go to get to a decent weight, but I thank God that I've found this as I can actually live this way.  Trust me, I've tried a lot of plans; I have never lost this much weight at 1 attempt, and I'm usually looking forward to the day that I can get off this "diet".  I can eat this way forever.  I don't agree with some of the stuff in the book; I cannot blame my body for getting this big.  Even if I crave carbohydrates, I don't have to eat them.  I take responsibility for getting myself into this situation.  But I thank God for letting me find this WOE; I can eat with my family at dinner, and since I'm freed from counting points, carbs, or calories I don't have to focus on food.  For the first time in my life, I actually pass off 1/2 my dessert to someone else because I just don't want it!

I hope it's going well for you, too - 75# is so awesome.  Thanks for being willing to share!

Offline blessedmamadp

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 11:49:14 AM »
I'm so thankful I was able to help by sharing my experience with this WOE!  Congrats on your weight loss!  Whoohoo!!! ;D

Just to post another report, I had lost 80# in 8 months with this WOE.  The summer has brought on a lot of events involving food, but I've done well to stay the same!  I'm looking forward to a slightly less busy fall and less food-related activities (I hope!).

I still have about 20# I'd like to lose, but I am happy in a size 14 (and some 12's!).

Blessings!

Offline mama4God

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 04:07:12 PM »
Is it possible to do this diet without the book?  I am definately a carb addict, and my dream is to get down to size 12 by January, our 10th anniversary, to fit into my wedding gown!  I'm 18-20 now (very embarrasing to admit).  Thanks for any help!

sheri
My hope is built on nothing less than JESUS' blood and righteousness!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 04:19:43 AM »
Sounds kinda like the plate method, only with sugar. Do you have any snacks? I'm assuming the 1/3 is of your plate?

someone want to clarify here, since this topic has been bumped?
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 07:14:12 AM »
I love the carbohydrate addicts book and all the great info it contains.

My stats after having read that book :
-at 1st I lost 0.5 - 1 pound a day not a week.
-then it slowed down to about 3-5 pounds a week.
-Then after about 5months it slowed down a lot.

- I only lost 32 pounds but that is because I was weight lifting 3-4 times a week and muscles weigh alot.

-But I lost a lot off fat inches.

- I was thin, lean, strong and looked good. And felt much better.

This is why I feel that losing fat inches is more important then losing weight in many cases. One can lose lots of weight and still look and feel bad.

It opened up a hole new world of understanding about my body for me.

I read the one about heart disease due to insulin resistance. it really applies to life and health in general  and not just for our hearts. I  got it because  at the time I was newly dx as being a diabetic and wanted to learn more about carbs.

I had been following the hospitals low carb advice for 4 months after my DX. I only lost 1 pound a month. The hospital meant well but was not teaching me to be conservative enough with the carbs.

I read this book and tried it out and instantly began losing weight. I lowered by carb grams to 75 grams a day. not per a meal but total per a day.

It played havoc with my sugars at 1st so I had to ingest more carbs until me and the doc got my insulin units figured out and lowered.

I began losing weight every day not every week. I would use the digital scales at the YMCA and always wear shorts, t-shirt and gym shoes so the clothing weight was not an issue cause it was always the same.

I found that I was losing 0.5-1 pound a day there for a while then it tapered off to about 3-5 or more pounds a week.

But it slowed down. And in 7 months I only lost 32 pounds but that was OK because I had lost tons of fat inches. I went down 5 and almost 6 jean sizes and looked good in just 7 months. I wa salso lifting weights 3-4 times a week for about 30-60 minutes.

My body was eating the fat on my abdomen right off and disposing of it. I was actually shrinking before everyones eyes. I really respect the carb addicts program.

it don't work as good for me now because my last pregnancy finished ruining what was left of the portion of my pancreas that makes and secrets insulin. So now I have to be on a fast acting insulin which requires that I eat more carbs in order to not have low sugars.

If anyone can do this diet and read the carb addict book by the Heller's I highly recommend it.

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 08:59:28 AM »
Is this the book?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0451173392/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

I'm looking for something for my husband-he's limited by what exercises he can do because of a back injury, but he's desperate to loose weight.  He tried low carb before, and lost about 10lbs, but couldn't stick to such rigid restrictions and gained it all back.  He's so frustrated because he was very trim before his back injury without even trying. 

Offline thus_I_fight

• Adept
    • My xanga page
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 09:07:32 AM »
I don't have this book, but I did an internet search and came up with this information.
Source: www.epinions.com/content_27515457156

The Diet
First, let me define the different types of meals:
--Reward Meal: You can eat any food you want, but your plate must be “balanced”. This means 1/3 of your plate is meat/protein, 1/3 is low-carb vegetables, and the other 1/3 is a carbohydrate rich food (this includes desserts). Part of the reason people can adhere to this diet long-term is that you know, every day, if you have a craving you can satisfy it at the Reward Meal. They suggest eating low-fat most of the time, but allow you to give into your cravings when you want. Chicken strips, french fries, cake… nothing is off limits.
--Complementary meal: You must choose recommended foods from lists (rather large lists, thankfully). You eat one serving of meat, plus 2 cups of vegetables.
--Complementary Snack: Same as a Complementary Meal, but ½ the size.
--Salad: A normal sized salad with 2 tbs salad dressing. This can be replaced with an additional 2 cups of vegetables if you wish.

You begin with the Entry Plan, which allows two complementary meals and one reward meal each day. Depending on your goals and weight loss during the previous week, you will look at a chart that tells you to follow Plan A, B, C, or D the next week. These are all variations of the Entry Plan, with small adjustments to the number of meals, snacks, and salads. This is the best part of the Carbohydrate Addict' s Diet in my opinion – they continuously adjust your meal plan to ensure a slow and steady weight loss.

You should note that you must eat your Reward meal within 60 minutes (due to insulin-related stuff that I don’t think matters anyway… but I digress). If you go to a restaurant, be wary of the drinks and appetizers. If you start too soon your time run out before all of your food has been brought to you.

Drinks
You are allowed an unlimited amount non-sugary drinks such as diet sodas, unsweetened tea, seltzer, and black coffee. Only one cup of coffee with cream is allowed, due to the carb content. Sugary drinks, fruit juices, alcohol, and milk should be saved for your Reward Meal.
_________
On other sites I read that snacks are not allowed, at least in the first two weeks, and that allowable foods have 4g. of carbs per standard serving, or less.  Unlike the Atkins diet, you cannot eat unlimited amounts of protein, so portion control is a part of this, too.  But, if all the testimonials are true, people lose their intense cravings for food after a couple of days, and feel satisfied between meals.
"I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.  The LORD God is my strength, He will make my feet like deer's feet, and He will make me walk on my high hills." Habakkuk 3:19

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 09:33:27 AM »
Carbohydrate addicts website below:

http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/

carb addicts quiz:

http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/caquiz.html

here is the book I was refering to. I did not realize the Heller's had so many books out there. The title makes it look like it is for heart patients but I found it to not be true. it pertains to everyone. see link below:
http://www.amazon.com/Carbohydrate-Addicts-Healthy-Heart-Program/dp/034542610X

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 05:17:34 AM »
Wow!! So let me get this straight!? This diet is EASY to follow?? You can do it for the REST of YOUR LIFE??? And it actually makes you LOSE weight??   :o  Wow!!!

So, is there anything HARD about this diet?? Any reason why a REGULAR person could NOT do it??

Count me in!! I'm SOOOO interested!!!!  ;D
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 06:40:26 AM »

carb addicts quiz:

http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/caquiz.html

here is the book I was refering to. I did not realize the Heller's had so many books out there. The title makes it look like it is for heart patients but I found it to not be true. it pertains to everyone. see link below:
http://www.amazon.com/Carbohydrate-Addicts-Healthy-Heart-Program/dp/034542610X

Thanks for this post!  Hubby took the quiz and is definately a carb addict.  I just bought the book used off Amazon for $4.  Looking forward to reading it!  I do find it interesting that the carb addict symptoms and candida symptoms are so similar.  I think there is definately a connection.  Hubby has had major candida problems in the past that we had treated for and thought he was better.  Now I'm wondering if maybe he's made progress, but still has a ways to go......

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 07:38:42 AM »

So, is there anything HARD about this diet?? Any reason why a REGULAR person could NOT do it??

LOL well I don't know about it being real easy to do but it can be done.

It is never easy, IMO, going low carb because every wedding, birthday party, reunion, picnic has a lot of carbs and when you go to those places there is often times nothing or very little you can eat while low carbing.

So I have always had to make sure I bring along certain things like nuts, seeds, veggies. And if I do eat the high carb stuff at the outings I just count that as my 1 carb meal a day.

So you can still have birthday cake on this diet. Or I should say eating life style change not a diet.

And it is costly eating low carb cause meat, eggs and veggies are very costly especially right now.  So what I did and do is not get picky about if the food is organic or not. I just buy the cheap frozen and canned veggies and when we can afford it the fresh veggies. I also eat safe free wild veggies like burdock  root for example.

So no it is not always easy but it is not so hard it cant be done either. And you can still have the good stuff sometimes when you go on outings.

You all are encouraging me to get stricter with this eating life style change. For me right now is the perfect time to low carb due to all the wild free veggies on my land. I need to pick more and blanch them so I can freeze them for the winter.

I 1st learned about the mineral called Chromium from the book authors ( the Heller's) and it made all the difference for me. From the way I understand it chromium is a mineral we all need no matter what. And ppl who are insulin resistance ( like the ppl with abdominal fat) are lacking in chromium. When I started taking chromium GTF ( means glucose tolerance factor) my insulin resistance got better which also made me more able to lose weight and fat inches off my abdomen.

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • Naturally-reared, moderately-sized Aussie puppies!
    • RunAmok Farm * Moderately-sized Australian Shepherds
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 08:12:46 AM »
Well, I am game - Just bought the book off Ebay for $3.79 - including shipping!  (YAY)  I have done low-carb before, quite successfully -- but hard to keep up when the family isn't wanting to eat the same things.  This sounds like it will be more well-rounded, thus easier to do long-term.

Waiting... waiting... waiting... for my book!   ;D
J
NR Australian Shepherds & SARF consultations
www.runamokfarm.com
Custom Pyrography (woodburning)
www.jaquemchenry.com

burlsgirl

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 09:34:49 AM »
And ppl who are insulin resistance ( like the ppl with abdominal fat) are lacking in chromium. When I started taking chromium GTF ( means glucose tolerance factor) my insulin resistance got better which also made me more able to lose weight and fat inches off my abdomen.

Ok, I've been losing SOME weight, toning up with weights, but STILL the abdominal fat...AND, that's the second time today, I've been reminded about chromium!

I really want to do this diet, too. But I have a question... Can I have milk (raw, goat) in my morning coffee???

Thanks! I've got the book in my amazon shopping cart already!

Em

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 11:24:52 AM »
I'm with you all on this one.  I've got mine in the amazon cart.  I'm only a "moderate" on their scale but I am very insulin resistant so it's worth a shot. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 11:55:01 AM »
Well, I just scored a SEVERE  :o  on the carb addict test.  ::)  Oh well, I KNEW I was, deep down in side, I knew. Now I gotta FIX it. Uh, I'm so excited!! My sister just picked me up a copy at the used book store. Can't wait to start reading it!!

Thanks for all the testemonies about how well this works!! That is REALLY motivating!! Keep the motivation coming!!  ;)

So does the book talk about Chromium?? Cuz I NEED to lose the belly fat!!  >:(

;D I'm so excited!!!
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

burlsgirl

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 03:21:28 PM »
Well, I just scored a SEVERE  :o  on the carb addict test.  ::)  Oh well, I KNEW I was, deep down in side, I knew. Now I gotta FIX it. Uh, I'm so excited!! My sister just picked me up a copy at the used book store. Can't wait to start reading it!!

Thanks for all the testemonies about how well this works!! That is REALLY motivating!! Keep the motivation coming!!  ;)

So does the book talk about Chromium?? Cuz I NEED to lose the belly fat!!  >:(

;D I'm so excited!!!

I didn't even TAKE the test. I SO know I'm a poster child for carb addiction! I did strict low carb for 10 months about 9 years ago, but this sounds more like something you could do for life, maybe?

Anyway, I ordered the book & it will be here Monday!

Offline mama4God

• Learning
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 03:41:12 PM »
My book should be here Monday or Tuesday, I can't wait!!!  I need the nitty-gritty.......

I'm looking for some accountablity to do this........am I the only one?  I know my (bad) self!  I'm a need-something-sweet-after-every-meal kinda girl.   :(

Sheri
My hope is built on nothing less than JESUS' blood and righteousness!

burlsgirl

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 05:08:16 PM »
My book should be here Monday or Tuesday, I can't wait!!!  I need the nitty-gritty.......

I'm looking for some accountablity to do this........am I the only one?  I know my (bad) self!  I'm a need-something-sweet-after-every-meal kinda girl.   :(

Sheri

I'm still freaking out about my morning cafe au lait!

Offline thus_I_fight

• Adept
    • My xanga page
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 04:51:38 AM »
From what I understand, no, you can't have milk or cream in your morning coffee, unless you make breakfast your reward meal for the day. 
"I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.  The LORD God is my strength, He will make my feet like deer's feet, and He will make me walk on my high hills." Habakkuk 3:19

burlsgirl

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 05:12:15 AM »
From what I understand, no, you can't have milk or cream in your morning coffee, unless you make breakfast your reward meal for the day. 

Wow. Now THIS presents a problem!! Oh well, when I was in college, I learned to drink it black. I guess I'll learn again! I can always have it with my milk with my reward meal...can't I???

Offline thus_I_fight

• Adept
    • My xanga page
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 07:51:09 AM »
Here is the response from http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/bev.html
"Black coffee or plain tea (iced or hot) are fine at any time of the day or evening. Make certain to have milk or cream in your coffee or tea no more than once a day or you may trigger cravings (even though you don't feel them at first) and slow or halt your weight loss. Coffee or tea with milk and/or sugar can be consumed at any carbohydrate-rich (Reward) meal."

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 11:36:39 AM »
I'm assuming they say no cream b/c of carbs? But I put heavy cream in my coffee and it lists that there are no carbs.  Now, just whipping cream or 1/2 1/2 or light cream there is one but the heavy cream it says 0.

Offline thus_I_fight

• Adept
    • My xanga page
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2008, 01:26:02 PM »
So, am I addicted to carbs?  Um...yeah.  I took the test and rated severe, but what happened today really clinches it.  Today I tried to stick with this diet.  I did well through breakfast and lunch.  I really wanted some cherry pie, which I baked last night, but I didn't touch it because I knew I could have some with supper.  At supper I ate my required salad, meat and vegetables (small portions), and then I enjoyed my half corn on the cob and small piece of pie.  Then I wanted more pie.  So I followed their directions and had very small seconds of meat and vegetables, and a small second piece of pie.  Then I was full...a little too full (oops).  But even though I was full, feeling slightly bloated, and in no way needing more food, do you know what I wanted?  Potato chips.  No, I was going to be strong.  I started to put the leftover food away, and strongly considered eating a bit of my daughter's leftover corn.  Then I opened the fridge to put the leftovers in, and spied the jar of sweet pickles.  And the pie was on the counter and I was really looking at that.  Did I crave more meat and low-carb vegetables?  No.  Only carbs.

This has happened frequently through my life.  I'll stick to a diet fairly well for a little while, and then I decided to treat myself to a little dessert, or bread, or whatever.  And once I have that little bit, I go totally off the wagon and eat every unhealthy carb in sight. 

So...um...yeah...I think this book is for me.  :(  I've just got to make it through the first few days, right?  It'll get better, right?

burlsgirl

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2008, 01:51:59 PM »
So, am I addicted to carbs?  Um...yeah.  I took the test and rated severe, but what happened today really clinches it.  Today I tried to stick with this diet.  I did well through breakfast and lunch.  I really wanted some cherry pie, which I baked last night, but I didn't touch it because I knew I could have some with supper.  At supper I ate my required salad, meat and vegetables (small portions), and then I enjoyed my half corn on the cob and small piece of pie.  Then I wanted more pie.  So I followed their directions and had very small seconds of meat and vegetables, and a small second piece of pie.  Then I was full...a little too full (oops).  But even though I was full, feeling slightly bloated, and in no way needing more food, do you know what I wanted?  Potato chips.  No, I was going to be strong.  I started to put the leftover food away, and strongly considered eating a bit of my daughter's leftover corn.  Then I opened the fridge to put the leftovers in, and spied the jar of sweet pickles.  And the pie was on the counter and I was really looking at that.  Did I crave more meat and low-carb vegetables?  No.  Only carbs.

This has happened frequently through my life.  I'll stick to a diet fairly well for a little while, and then I decided to treat myself to a little dessert, or bread, or whatever.  And once I have that little bit, I go totally off the wagon and eat every unhealthy carb in sight. 

So...um...yeah...I think this book is for me.  :(  I've just got to make it through the first few days, right?  It'll get better, right?

This is what I'm afraid of! If I ever START eating the carbs, I'm done for. So, does the book address this? How you can eat some carbs @ the reward meal & NOT want to eat the rest of the night???

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2008, 03:21:47 PM »
I have not read the book but I have done low carb diets.  It seems to me if you really are addicted then you should not have the "reward" part at all atleast for the first two or three days if that makes you "fall off the wagon" badly.  I mean I don't think "they" recommend an alcholic just have one beer...............You were fine until you ate the higher carb and sweet stuff.  Seems you need to totally stay away from it at first.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2008, 05:37:32 AM »
CHROMIUM GTF.

A lack of it can cause carbohydrate addictions/cravings.

From the way I understand the Heller's information we all need Chromium. Every person does. it is a mineral we all need. And now a days many ppl are lacking in it for various reasons. Like eating high carb life styles.

Not having enough chromium can lead to things like
-carb addiction
-abdominal fat
-huge appetites where you can eat large proportions.
-hungry a lot

And from what I remember all that ties into something called SYDROME X which leads into insulin resistance. I know once a person sees the word insulin they tune out and assume it does not apply to them since they are not a diabetic.

But what we all need to understand is that we all need insulin no matter if we are a diabetic or not.

A normal persons pancreas makes and secretes its own insulin in order to deal with the food the person eats. If they did not have insulin they would die. Everyone needs insulin.

After a person has been eating high carb meals with little to no exercise for years their body will start acting out. They may become what is called insulin resistant. From the way I remember it insulin resistance means that the body cells have went on strike.
The persons body makes to much insulin in order to cover all those excessive carbs it eats. So it makes extra insulin to cover it all. After the years go on the body cells get sick of having to deal with all that insulin. it wears the body own when it is in excess like that. So the cells freak out and say:

"I ain't putting up with it anymore!"

And the cells close their doors and stop utilizing insulin  like they used to. it is just to much for the cells to deal with. This is when the person becomes insulin resistant.

Meaning their cells are putting up a resistance to the insulin their pancreas keeps making. but the pancreas keeps shooting out too much insulin and the person keeps eating to many carbs.

Which leads to a variety of health issues. I don't remember them all but here is a list I can remember for now of some of the things carb addiction----> syndrome X----> insulin resistance can lead to
-abdominal fat
-type 2 diabetes
-high Bp
-high cholesterol
-heart attacks
-other cardiovascular issues
-depression
-weaker then normal
-moody
-hungry a lot
-taste buds make you think the high carb food is the best tasting thing ever.
-hypogycemia( low blood sugars. this carries its own long list of symptoms to research)

And

-very hard time losing weight especially on the belly. because the body stores all the extra carbohydrates on the belly as fat cells for later use in case a famine happens. They say back in the old days those of us who have this ability to store extra food on our bellies were the survivors during times of famine because our bodies ate those carbohydrate fat cells to live while all the skinny ppl died off because their bodies did not store enough fat cells for surviving. but now a days we don't go into times of famine and we don't move around enough so our carb fat storage just keeps piling up until it gets to be to much.

That is all I can think of for now. but know that one can be insulin resistant without being a diabetic. But it often times leads into type 2 diabetes.

Try researching syndrome X, insulin resistance, chromium GTF and you will find info that most likely fits you if you have belly weight that wont come off, big appetites, carb cravings and so on.

Extra info:

The cells have doors on them called "receptor sites".

These receptor site doors are locked so bad guys cant get in and harm the little guys inside the cells who made the cell work. it is like a factory in there. A very important factory which has to be under strict guard from invaders so the workers bolt and lock the door.

The cell only trust Mr insulin to hold the key to the receptor site doors on the cells. Mr insulin is the trusted carrier of this beloved key outside of the cell.

But Mr insulin gets carried away due to becoming addicted to carbohydrates. ( when the person eats to many carbs and from genetics) And with addiction comes stupid thinking and stupid behaviors. Mr insulin starts growing and becoming too large and acts stupid ( the pancreas makes to much insulin). To large for his own good. And he starts trying to bombard all the cells from the outside trying to unlock their doors   and make them over work.

The cell factory workers cant cope with all the over time . After all the over time they are working does not pay extra. They work for nothing. NO paycheck. NO vacation. No over time pay.

So one of the inner cell factory workers puts up a fight and gets all the other workers all riled up and they start fighting back by  putting up a resistance and not allowing Mr insulin to unlock the receptor doors. They hold the lock and door shut so he cant get in to deliver the nutrients the cell workers need to keep the body working. By this time the workers have had enough. They are willing to not have the much needed nutrients that Mr insulin brings to them from the blood. They are mad at Mr insulin for taking advantage of them. After all Mr insulin was suppose to be the trusted key holder and he abused those privileges by trying to become to large and take over ( excessive insulin production).

Mr insulin still gets into some of the cells here and there. but once the resistant fight has begun the body starts going down hill from there.  The cells start starving and begging the body to eat more  (which means carb cravings since carbs turn into high amounts of engery for the cells once they are digested).  The cells plead and beg the body to eat more which does no good because that only makes Mr insulin have more power which makes him more controlling. but the body feels bad for the cell factory workers and eats more to please them.

This only leads to more trouble but the cell factory workers cant understand that so they keep screaming for more food. In the mean time Mr insulin is growing and becoming to powerful for his own britches.

One of the only ways to get the cell factory workers  back on tract is to make more receptor doors. And this can be done by exercising
(more movement). Exercise or extra moving creates more doors
(receptor sitres) on the cells. this way there are more doors for Mr insulin to sneak into the cell and deliver the goods.

And another way to help decrease the factory upheaval is to eat lower carbs so that Mr insulin will stop growing and trying to bombard the cells. That way Mr insulin will stop acting to bossy and controlling. Kind of like when you give some one to much power they turn into control freaks and bad often times. When taking some of Mr insulins power away the cell factory workers will stop putting up fights and resisting Mr insulin.

Then life can go on.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 08:29:21 AM by healthybratt »

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2008, 10:59:49 AM »
Well... I have a little report. My sister got me the book.  ;D  Basically, I skimmed it, got the basics and started on the "diet" yesterday. It was tough. Its hard to have to actually MAKE something for each meal, when I'm just so used to grabbing whatevers already make. Can't do this with this diet, at least not yet.

Day two is SO MUCH EASIER. I'm definitly a LOT less hungry. And its easier to think of what to eat. Its not bad at all. I was dissappointed to see that I didn't lose a pound. But it looks like maybe 1/2 a pound. I need to get one of those scales that shows the ounces.

Hopefully, I'll stick to it!  :D