Author Topic: Nourishing the Endocrine System  (Read 64089 times)

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
Re: Nourishing the Endocrine System
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2008, 12:17:38 PM »
Crystal,

I don't have my bottle of symplex anymore (I've been off it for awhile) so I can't see how much of each thing is in it.  Your symptoms scream progesterone issues to me which makes me wonder if the symplex is causing your body to kick out to much estrogen thereby making your estrogen/progesterone level out of balance.  For right now, I would go off the symplex F and get your body leveled back out.  Are you on the Isocort right now?  If not, do not add anything else supplement wise until you get on the Isocort for at least two weeks.  Then you can see how you feel and re-look at the symplex F. 

Do the salt water in the AM right now (or actually at whatever time of day you are more likely to crash). 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2008, 01:44:38 PM »
Crystal,

I don't have my bottle of symplex anymore (I've been off it for awhile) so I can't see how much of each thing is in it.  Your symptoms scream progesterone issues to me which makes me wonder if the symplex is causing your body to kick out to much estrogen thereby making your estrogen/progesterone level out of balance.  For right now, I would go off the symplex F and get your body leveled back out.  Are you on the Isocort right now?  If not, do not add anything else supplement wise until you get on the Isocort for at least two weeks.  Then you can see how you feel and re-look at the symplex F. 

Do the salt water in the AM right now (or actually at whatever time of day you are more likely to crash). 

patti

Thanks.  Will do.  Estrogen/progesterone imbalance is NOT a good thing for me!!!!  I end up moving and shaking a bit too much! :-\  I took an extra progesterone this afternoon to try to bring things back into check quickly. 

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2008, 09:45:56 AM »
Something just happened to me that I am kind of freaked about ???

I wasn't coping with anything this morning.  It was beyond horrific!  I felt like I was going crazy, in fact.  NOT good!  I did contain myself so that not much damage was done to my kids and dh, but I know what was going on in my head and it wasn't pleasant.

ANYWAY......I finally had my "morning" coffee at about 12:15.  It was like a miracle!  My head cleared and I wasn't spiralling down any longer. 

SO...what does this mean for my endocrine system?  What is going on?

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2008, 10:12:45 AM »

ANYWAY......I finally had my "morning" coffee at about 12:15.  It was like a miracle!  My head cleared and I wasn't spiralling down any longer. 

It means keep drinking coffee!   ;)

Coffee does something for me, too.  I only started drinking coffee 9 years ago when my doctor said to start having it morning and evening for my adrenals.  He said that it must be freshly brewed or kept in an airtight thermal pot and didn't matter if it's decaf or regular.  It's not the caffeine.  Something about the coffee feeding the adrenals.   I don't remember all that he said to me that day, but I know that I function better with coffee. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2008, 10:57:32 AM »
Something just happened to me that I am kind of freaked about ???

I wasn't coping with anything this morning.  It was beyond horrific!  I felt like I was going crazy, in fact.  NOT good!  I did contain myself so that not much damage was done to my kids and dh, but I know what was going on in my head and it wasn't pleasant.

Interesting! I just started drinking a cup or two everyday. I can't believe how good I feel.  I feel so peaceful and happy on the days I drink coffee. I've never been a coffee drinker before but I'm hooked now!
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2008, 01:44:42 PM »
Caffiene runs down the adrenal glands and should be avoided at all cost.  Including regular coffee.  However (there's always one of those!),  coffee does have health benefits.  The trick is drinking decaf.  While it has a very minute amount of caffiene in it, most docs say it's fine. 

Crystal, do you normally drink coffee every morning?  Regular or decaf?  What you're describing sounds like someone that's addicted to coffee.  Perhaps you need to back from caffiene and go decaf?

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2008, 01:52:47 PM »
Caffiene runs down the adrenal glands and should be avoided at all cost.  Including regular coffee.  However (there's always one of those!),  coffee does have health benefits.  The trick is drinking decaf.  While it has a very minute amount of caffiene in it, most docs say it's fine. 

Crystal, do you normally drink coffee every morning?  Regular or decaf?  What you're describing sounds like someone that's addicted to coffee.  Perhaps you need to back from caffiene and go decaf?

patti

I normally drink a cup or two of regular.  I do miss some mornings, though. 

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2008, 02:48:22 PM »
That's enough to feel withdrawal symptoms when you skip it, though.

Two cups is about 220 mg of caffeine.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2008, 07:56:29 PM »
Crystal,

I would get thyself on decaf ASAP.  Every ounce of caffiene you add to your body is killing your adrenals.  You can slowly cut back if you need to by making your coffee half decaf/half regular for a few days and just slowly adding decaf until it's all decaf.  This is one of the hardest habits to break when you have bad adrenals because it feels like you're removing the only sourve of energy you have.  But realistically, in the long term you cannot heal if you're feeding your adrenals caffiene. 

patti

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2008, 04:39:26 AM »
While I agree with the cautions about overindulging in caffeine, I have many more reservations about drinking decaffenated beverages.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine#Decaffeination
Caffeine extraction is an important industrial process and can be performed using a number of different solvents. Benzene, chloroform, trichloroethylene and dichloromethane have all been used over the years but for reasons of safety, environmental impact, cost and flavor, they have been superseded by the following main methods:

Water extraction
Coffee beans are soaked in water. The water, which contains not only caffeine but also many other compounds which contribute to the flavor of coffee, is then passed through activated charcoal, which removes the caffeine. The water can then be put back with the beans and evaporated dry, leaving decaffeinated coffee with a good flavor.[101] Coffee manufacturers recover the caffeine and resell it for use in soft drinks and over-the-counter caffeine tablets.

Supercritical carbon dioxide extraction
Supercritical carbon dioxide is an excellent nonpolar solvent for caffeine (as well as many other organic compounds), and is safer than the organic solvents that are used for caffeine extraction. The extraction process is simple: CO2 is forced through the green coffee beans at temperatures above 31.1 °C and pressures above 73 atm. Under these conditions, CO2 is in a "supercritical" state: it has gaslike properties which allow it to penetrate deep into the beans but also liquid-like properties which dissolve 97–99% of the caffeine. The caffeine-laden CO2 is then sprayed with high pressure water to remove the caffeine. The caffeine can then be isolated by charcoal adsorption (as above) or by distillation, recrystallization, or reverse osmosis.[101]

Extraction by nonhazardous organic solvents
Organic solvents such as ethyl acetate present much less health and environmental hazard than previously used chlorinated and aromatic solvents. The hydrolysis products of ethyl acetate are ethanol and acetic acid, both nonhazardous in small quantities. Another method is to use triglyceride oils obtained from spent coffee grounds.

IMO, consuming caffeine its natural state is a much safer means than to consume it in its extracted form and inserted into another substance (soft drinks, etc.).
In addition, I find that it is taking a lot of chances to consume a substance that has had the caffeine removed by various means/methods as I don't much trust the manufacturers to utilize safer methods as opposed to methods that are cheaper, faster and provide them with a higher profit margin. I don't want their chemical solvents in my body.

Let me qualify what I mean by 'natural state.' I'm talking about organically grown, free trade, naturally roasted beans. At $7 to $10 per pound, and the fact that you will be grinding them yourself, you won't consume nearly as much as the stuff normally available in retail outlets. Additionally, I would use the purest water I could find. Caffeine is a stimulant. This means your body will more readily take in all that the caffeine carries with it. If you are brewing with tap water, you are drinking in all of the chemical agents your municipality used to treat that water ALONG with the properties of caffeine in your beverage. Caffeine is helping your body pull all of that into your cells . . . including your endocrine system.  :o Not a good thing.  :(

Additionally, there are several pleasing teas with naturally occurring caffeine.

IMO a safer course is to increase your consumption of pure water, kefir, kombucha and other natural beverages while replacing (and reducing) your caffeine intake with the best quality coffee beans and teas that you can find made with pure water. You will likely find that your addiction stabilizes and is greatly reduced (if not reversed).

Another caution about consuming decaf can be found here:
Pollycystic Kidney Disease Foundation: http://www.pkdcure.org/tabid/90/Default.aspx
Those who consume multiple cups of purportedly caffeine-free java should be aware that their cumulative daily consumption could easily add up to 85 mg of caffeine, the dose found in an average cup of the real stuff, the authors warned in the October issue of the Journal of Analytical Toxicity.

"The finding that decaffeinated coffee contains caffeine has far-reaching clinical consequences," the authors wrote. "Clinicians and patients should be aware that decaffeinated coffee frequently contains caffeine. Ingestion of multiple servings of decaffeinated beverages could result in caffeine doses equivalent to a caffeinated beverage. In addition, one must be mindful of the potential for pharmacological interactions that exist between caffeine and prescription medications."

So-called decaf coffee may also contain just enough of the psychostimulant to foster dependence in caffeine-sensitive people, the authors suggested.

Just my

« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 04:40:58 AM by SC »
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2008, 01:13:39 PM »
I can tell long list(s) of symptoms by my parents, siblings, and myself that all point to endocrine/adrenal/thyroid but what was said about coffee really alerts me!
I began a search last week concerning hair loss, and that lead to an adrenal search, and then endocrine.
Every time I drink coffee it stresses my adrenals to great degrees I never knew, so much that I become a monster to my family and want to do nothing but sleep,
And we have to call a plumber for the shower drain! :o Ha Ha
What a blessing you ladies have been sharing your experiences and working together to figure out symptoms and proper meds/ what meds function in what ways.
So to feed/ nourish the endocrine properly what is the best WOE, you have all talked about eating healthy and I do for the most part even my coffee was organic, fair trade,and Delicious, :'( but, what is healthy each person has there own Ideal of that word so can you give an example of foods that 'bless' these parts of the body.
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2008, 03:46:06 PM »
So to feed/ nourish the endocrine properly what is the best WOE, you have all talked about eating healthy and I do for the most part but, what is healthy each person has there own Ideal of that word so can you give an example of foods that 'bless' these parts of the body.
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline tiffanyrose8

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2008, 12:08:08 PM »
Cara,

I've read a lot of your posts and I read that you took Isocort while you were pregnant.  I tried to get pregnant for 9 months, found out my adrenals weren't functioning correctly, started taking Isocort, got pregnant, my doctor said to stop taking the medication, I did and then lost the baby.  So, in your opinion, is it safe to take it when I get pregnant again.  I don't want to go through another miscarriage.

Thank you,
Tiffany

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2010, 08:31:38 AM »
I recently came across some information on how the thyroid and Adrenal glands get 'starved'.

Dr. Campbell-McBride in her book "Gut and Psychology Syndrome" discuses the role that our gut flora plays, one of those roles is it's job of synthesizing B vitamins and certain Amino Acids.  One of those Amino Acids that we get primarily from the byproducts of Pro-Biotic action in our intestines is Phenylalanine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylalanine.  This is important in the thyroid/adrenal discussion because Phenylalanine is what the body makes L-Tyrosine from which is a critical component of Thyroid and adrenal hormones.

http://www.endocrineweb.com/thyfunction.html

http://thyroidtalk.org/hypothyroidism/tyrosine-for-hypothyroidism

From this I hypothesize that many times a disturbance of gut flora and pro-biotic action can starve the thyroid and adrenal glands of L-Tyrosine and lead to dysfunctions in these glands. 

-H.

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2011, 03:43:47 PM »
I really appreciate all of the experiences shared here.  I am just starting to realize that my adrenals are really struggling and probably have been for quite a while.  The last few years have been very stressful and I have ignored my body's signals to rest too often.  I am currently not pregnant or nursing, an unusual state for me, so I am trying to get the healing process well underway.  I'm looking for a doctor in my area so I don't have to do this totally on my own.  Since I know that my own health can affect the health of my babies, how can I nourish the endocrine system of my children?  I'm quite sure that my adrenal function was not optimal with some of my pregnancies (that probably was part of the cause of the late delivery of some).  My system being unbalanced would tend to cause their systems to have problems from the beginning.  Any thoughts???  Any particular foods/herbs that would be good for children?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 04:34:16 AM by born-an-okie »