Remedies & Therapies > Hormones & Endocrine

Nourishing the Endocrine System

<< < (9/15) > >>

cecac:
So, to keep this discussion on the endocrine system, if anyone is using any horomones, even naturally derived, I would think this dependency issue is something to be careful about.

In other words, if we don't Need to take horomones, even the natural ones, then let's not.   

The question still is:  How do we nourish the entire endocrine system so that the glands work together in harmony?

How can we accomplish this after that balance has been removed?

I am thinking it is a long road, not something that can be accomplished in the short term.  I also suspect that once balance is restored, it is a lifelong habit to keep it that way.

What Patti is sharing, this is key, IMO.  At some points of recovery we may have to use Isocort, Armour Thyroid, progesterone cream, etc.  But that does not automatically mean it is for the long term.  Although, I suspect that Armour Thyroid may be an exception.

Just some thoughts,
Cara

mykidsmom:
I actually think Armour *isn't* any different then any other supplement.  I think anytime you supplement an endocrine gland with hormone that you risk that gland not functioning because the body sees the outside hormone and decides it doesn't need to make anymore.  That said, there are just times that one needs to supplement with bio-identical hormones.  I could have not survived the last several years without them.  Literally. 

I have nourished my endocrine system long enough that I can now start pulling back on the bio-idents and try to let my body pick up the slack.  One thing I noticed right off the bat is I felt worse for a week or so but I forced myself to work through it.  My body needed to remember what those glands were supposed to produce before they would start producing again.  KWIM?  Right now I'm taking Rhodiola and another supplement to nourish and feed my adrenals.  I'm eating mostly well.   :-\  I found sleep/rest and diet to be the #1 factors to my recovery.  There are times of high stress that I imagine I may have to supplement with Isocort for a day or two again to get through them but I believe complete healing will have taken place when I no longer have to do that.  I am also considering a tincture made by Mountain Herbs (?) that is supposed to nourish the adrenals.  I like Symplex F also as a gland supplement and will consider using it again if being off the Isocort becomes a problem again.  I want to try and avoid the hormone thing as much as possible because the longer you're on them the harder it is for the body to remember what it's supposed to do.  Thus far, I have not been able to go near going off of the bio-progesterone.  I tried a couple of times and it was a disaster so obviously I still have a long way to go when it comes to female hormone healing.

Cara, I'm with you on the exhaustion.  I hate having no energy.  I need to lose 40lbs so it's hard to tell what is weight related and what is gland related sometimes but then others it's obvious which is which.  I struggle so much to stay awake during the day.  Our lifestyle doesn't help either as we stay up late and sleep in late.  But that's what works for my husband's business so that's what I do.  I have been working on trying to NOT take a nap during the day at all and see if that helps with the adrenals but then I just crash after dinner for a half hour.   :-\ 

patti

cecac:
That is interesting, Patti, what you say about Armour.  I guess I was supposing that once you lose thyroid function, it is more difficult to get the balance back.  Although, removal of the thyroid or part of it would likely require some Armour for your lifetime, correct?  Interesting enough, my MIL has functioned for years with only part of her thyroid.  She could not take synthetic thyroid due to symptoms, but she is on Armour now and it does help.  She is on Isocort also.

Another endocrine system issue is mineral depeletion and Vitamin B depletion.  I am thinking of iodine right at the moment.

As to the progesterone, I am wondering what the long term situation is with using it, as it pertains to menopause?  Perhaps it is on an individual by individual basis.

The thing that disturbs me about the good books concerning bio-available horomones and the endocrine system, is that I notice these natural doctors tend to be very open to bio-available horomones, and I don't read any caution as we are speaking about.  I've noticed this with Dr. Brownstein in his books on thyroid, and even Dr. Wilson in the adrenal book.  Although, Dr. Wilson doesn't push the bio-availables.  The other series of books of which I am thinking are the ones by Dr. Lee.  I have What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause, and while I didn't read the whole of it yet, I did get the general impression of what I did read that he was pushing progesterone supplements alot.  That put up a caution with me.

Dr. Bruce West (www.healthalert.com) does not do this.  He has the same caution as far as bio-identical horomones, at least that is the general impression I have in what I have read of his newsletters.

When I wrote and asked him about my issues, Symplex F was what he recommended for overall endocrine system health.  He also plugs in Drenamin and/or Thytrophin for the adrenals and thyroid function.

Cara

mykidsmom:
Hi Cara,

I think supplementing with thyroid depends on why a person is supplementing as to whether it will cause the gland to draw back its normal production.  If someone has lost part of their gland, obviously, there body isn't going to be able to produce enough (maybe) so would always need supplementation.  BUT, if we're talking about glands that are depleted and need nourishing vs. full on loss of function due to disease/illness, then I think supplementing should be done very carefully so as not to cause the gland to stop working altogether.  Does that make sense? 

Progesterone is something I'm still not sure about.  I only know I'm a mess without it.  Witchy is a good description.   :'( :-\ :P

I wanted to post here what I just PM'd someone because it really states how I feel overall regarding what to supplement with and when.  So here's what I wrote to someone:

"Yes.  I definately think Symplex F is worth being on.  Especially if your whole edocrine system is shot.  Along with diet, it might take awhile, but I think if you take it faithfully for a year or two that you will start to reap the benefits of a healthier endocrine system.  The hardest part is it takes so long when we treat ourselves naturally.  I would start with the Symplex for one month and see how you feel.  If you don't feel a LOT better, then I think it would be worthwhile to add Rhodiola (instead of Isocort).  Rhodiola nourishes the adrenal glands and provides energy (it is an adaptogen - which means it adapts to what your body needs are).  If you've been following the conversation on the endo system on WTM you know that my recent studies have yielded that treating with even natural hormones can cause your glands to not work in the long term.  So, I would try the Rhodiola (it's $10 a bottle at Freddies and lasts a month or more).  IF after a month of that and the symplex together you still aren't feeling well enough, then try the Isocort.  But I would do them in that order first.  You should look at the Isocort as a temporary solution.  Like a year or so. 

You are correct to say your entire endo system needs looking at.  What most people don't understand is that when one gland (ie. your thyroid) is deficient the body will take from the other glands to try and make up for it.  Then that one becomes deficient and the body takes from another gland and so on.  So you really need to nourish the entire endo system, not just one gland. "

I think that applies to sooooo many people here that I wanted to list it out.  Those are my preferences for supplementation.  I'm actually just getting ready to go back on the Symplex F after a long holiday from it. 

patti

cecac:
Thank you for your thoughts Patti.

And I wanted to comment that it is Symplex F for females.  It is Symplex M for males. :)

I am on it right now along with the Isocort.  I am cutting back my Isocort as I am weaning my baby.

I know nothing of this Rhodiola, but I do have experience with Drenamin from Standard Process.  I have used it with success as has my OMD/chiro who diagnosed and helped me.

Would you happen to know, Patti, the ins and outs of using Rhodiola vs. Drenamin?  I will say that Drenamin looks to be more expensive. 

I would think one would take either of these products, not both.  My initial idea would be that if one is taking Symplex F, perhaps it might be better to stay with the other Standard Process product--might they work together?

I don't know (and not trying to be argumentative to you Patti).  These are just some wonderings.  Although, again, if the Rhodiola is an adaptogen, I would not know if Drenamin is. ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version