Author Topic: scared of post partum depression  (Read 11233 times)

Offline loolahm3

• Learning
scared of post partum depression
« on: October 21, 2007, 05:04:27 PM »
I have had PPD  two times within the last four pregnancies.  I also have been diagnosed with depression and generalized anxiety and bipolar disorder.  So the odds are against me.  Anyway, what do you ladies do for your PPD?  Would really appreciate prayers too, thanks, Layla

Offline Morgan

• Learning
Re: scared of post partum depression
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 06:57:40 PM »
This is just my experience, but it's worth a try.  I've also had PPD with several births (I was too embarrassed to tell my dr. about the severe depression and crazy, harmful thoughts I had at times ... PTL for God's grace).  It is only recently (last weekend, in fact) that I found a definate link to foods and my moods.  I went on an elimination diet to combat CFS symptoms and a stubborn yeast infection, and found as a side effect that  I was spontaneously happy for the first time since getting pregnant 21 months ago.  I also have energy  and  my stuffy nose is GONE.  So, I would encourage you to "go on the offensive" by  cutting out added sugars, basically  follow the protocol for Leaky Gut/Candida that Healthy Bratt has posted on this website, and, either now or after the birth, follow the elimination diet (outlined on CureZone).  And pray and praise.  Praise God for the hormonal changes that make you aware of your utter dependence on Him for the power to think right!  Get as much good sleep, regular exercise, and plenty of water as you can, and LOTS of daily time meditating on Scripture.  Daily  trips to the gym (and daily time outdoors) were crucial for me during the worst of the PPD I went thru with my  4 yr old.  Another thing that helped immensely was to really screen the music I was listening to, and only allow myself to use music that was uplifting. Some of my  good conservative Christian music is "introspective" and can result in a very miserable, guillt-ridden, "wish I were a better Christian" kind of mood, which definately intensifies the PPD feelings!  In some ways, PPD can be like PMS: because I know the battle is primarily  physical/hormonal, I can wait for it to pass, and even praise God for  the experience as He teaches me what things I can do to help myself.  Oooo... #1 tip: DON'T SKIP CHURCH!  Do all you can to be IN the service (not nursing the baby somewhere listening on speakers).   Let your hubby know  how you're doing so he can pray for you ... and look for ways  to show him he is special and important and attractive (i.e. focus on others, not yourself -- impossible without Christ!).  Feelings follow my actions, not vice versa.  Smile & act happy and loving, and expect the feelings to follow.  If you have a bad day (or week),  remember that tomorrow is brand new, with no mistakes.  Hope  these ideas will help.

Offline kings daughter

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 01:17:17 AM »
I have the same problem. After every birth I had terrible panic that something was wrong with my baby or something wrong with me. This last birth was the worst my blood pressure was even up. I am totally convienced that it is hormone related. I went on the "eat fat, lose fat" eating plan which is lots of good fat. Your body needs fat and cholest. to make hormones and to balance out your hormones. Within 2 weeks I felt soooo much better. In fact I felt better then I have in years..... I will be praying for you.  I know the horrible feeling it is to go threw this especially at a time that should be nothing but pure joy.

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 01:38:55 AM »
I read yesterday that cod liver oil is awesome for BP Disorder cause it is calming.I would think this would also be good for a new momma and a nursing baby.

Praying for you been there, :-*

Em

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 03:56:43 AM »
I have never had ppd very bad, just mostly a case of baby blues.  I had my 6th a year ago, and this was the first time I did not have it.  I took evening primrose oil before and after the birth starting about 6 weeks before and continuing for about 2 months after I gave birth.  EPO helps regulate hormones.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 04:45:55 AM »
I cried for 2 weeks straight after my first baby.  I didn't want to shower or move out of the chair, yet alone lay her down!!  I eventually just "got over it", I guess.  I didn't know much about nutrition or health!

With my 2nd, I felt much better and did a great job of taking care of myself during the pregnancy....not so much after.  With a 5 yo, 2 yo and a newborn, I didn't have time to think about myself too much. 

I am currently expecting #4 (3rd pregnancy) and am curious how this next one will turn out post-partum.

A few friends of mine who homebirth have read studies on dehydrating the placenta and then putting them in capsules. She takes one or two a day.  Basically, the thought process behind all of this is that your placenta is whats helps to regulate the hormones inside your body during pregnancy and I guess it is really helpful afterwards.  I've considered it for if/when I need it.  The best time to dehydrate it though, is soon after delivery (begin within 24 hours). So far, anyone I know who has severely suffered from ppd has felt a lot better!

I want to give my thumbs up to Cod liver oil and Evening primrose oil too!
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline loolahm3

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 05:16:03 AM »
I would love to absorb my placenta, unfortunately, I have my babies in the hospital.  And I usually have an epidural.  Its too overwhelming for my hubby and I to have a baby at home not to mention without meds.  Anyway, I always thought absorbing the placenta was supposed to be for something!  I bet that is why there are soooo many wrong things that happen nowadays.  Because women who nurse should probably do this sort of thing.  Layla

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 05:28:53 AM »
I would love to absorb my placenta, unfortunately, I have my babies in the hospital.  And I usually have an epidural.  Its too overwhelming for my hubby and I to have a baby at home not to mention without meds.  Anyway, I always thought absorbing the placenta was supposed to be for something!  I bet that is why there are soooo many wrong things that happen nowadays.  Because women who nurse should probably do this sort of thing.  Layla

I've often wondered if the hospital would be willing to give you YOUR placenta back?!!!  I don't know what their "policies" are, but if you talk it over with your doctor, you might be able to discuss it.  Bring an empty gallon ice cream bucket in with you and a cooler, pack some ice and then take it home and dehydrate it or find a friend who will come get it and do it for you.  I certainly can not see them saying "no"....it's not like it's theirs or anything!  You may get a few weird looks and/or even shocked ones, but really, what can they do? 

I dunno.....just a thought.  It's worth a try :)
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline Casandra

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 01:19:24 PM »
     I have had it after both of my babies, very severe after the second.  She was a year old and I could still barely drag myself out of bed.  My Dr. insisted anti-depressants would "get me over it" in a few months, but I felt "hot wired" not better. That is when I started researching alternative/natural medicine
     The thing that helped the most was high-powered B vitamins, and Source of Life liquids (with spirulina).  I could not think the next day if I missed them.
     The more I read of the yeast problem I think that it may have been a factor in causing it. 
      I am currently pregnant with #3 (5 years later) and am overloading on vitamins, kelp, and red rasberry leaf tea in hopes of preventing a third round.
     Now if I could only figure out how to keep from gaining so much weight.... :-\

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 03:26:28 PM »
i hope this is the right thread for my question--i have not had ppd other than some teary episodes of baby blues.  but this time i have had persistent fears that something bad will happen to one of my kids.  i get nervous each time that dh(or anyone else) is taking them somewhere when i am not going along.  i know he is mature and responsible, and that God is ultimately in control.  i pray over it each time the fear comes but it keeps coming back.  i am not sad all the time; i am tired all the time but my baby is only 2 months old so i don't know that that is atypical. :)  i do not have thoughts of harming myself or anyone else.  i have been an EMT for years so i do have some past experience to draw on when it comes to seeing things that no one wants to see.  but i have never had post-traumatic stress symptoms or anything.  just seems like now that my hormones are wacky, my mind goes places i don't want it to go with regards to what COULD happen when my kids are out of my sight.  this is not something i am comfortable bringing up to any of my friends--thank God for online anonymity.  does this sound like ppd and should i be taking any steps besides to keep praying that God will release me from these fears?  thanks for any input!   

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 08:05:42 AM »
bump

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 10:24:52 AM »
I'd say it sounds really normal to me jhandrh.  I'd bet that post partum hormone surges and valleys are responsible for those feelings.  And it's normal for a mama bear to want to protect her babies... I'd be a lot more concerned if you felt indifferent toward your kids.

You should definitely tell your husband and mentor (if you have one) so they can hold you accountable and keep an eye on you.  Sometimes one small thing (like an older sibling being a little too rough or a visitor not washing their hands) can set you off, and it can really catch an unsuspecting husband off guard. 

I'd pray that the L-rd will "help you take every thought captive" and that He'd give you "peace that passes understanding."  I have struggled with paranoia, depression, anxiety, etc. and I've found that ceaseless prayer is where the battle is won. 

And it has been harder after the birth of my third child (3 weeks ago) than it was the first 2 times, too.  I'm physically exhausted trying to keep up with the kids and the house, and I have a fleeting thought every time I lay her down to sleep that she might suffocate from SIDS or choke on her spit up and I won't hear her.  My best friend called to tell me her dad's licence had been revoked because of multiple sclerosis, and fears swelled inside of me worrying that someone would crash into us the next time we were driving down the road.  It's just automatic for me to worry, but I have to make a conscious effort to re-focus my thoughts every time.  It does get easier as the weeks go on. 

And calming teas and baths help, too.  And chocolate.  I'm looking forward to being 6-8 weeks post partum so I can get back on the treadmill.  Exercise's endorphins really help me, too.  And don't forget that it's winter, and not getting enough sunlight (vitamin D) can also contribute greatly to your overall mood.

Hope I didn't overload you with info.  Take care and keep us posted, okay?
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 01:47:59 PM »
jhandrh,

I personally have no experience with ppd.  But I have a few acquaintances who have and from that I have a greater respect for ladies who have ppd.  From what I have heard it is debilitating.  Now I'm sure that there are varying degrees of it, but in one instance the lady had it so bad that she absolutely could not sleep.  And lack of sleep caused the cycle to get only worse.  :-\ 

I second ShabbyChic in that you should let others around you know how you are feeling.  And possibly talk directly to someone who has been through ppd.  There's nothing better to get you through a trying circumstance than by talking to someone who's been there before. 

Praying  . . .

Kendra

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 02:10:50 PM »
thanks, guys.  Shabby, it does help to know i'm not the only one!  i guess the truly insane are the ones who never doubt their sanity, huh?   :)  i am able to talk about it to dh, but being a guy, and an extremely laid-back one at that, he is not able to offer much help.  i don't really have a mentor.  i guess i am afraid that if i mention it to my friends other than dh, someone will think i'm losing it.  i don't feel like i'm losing it, just a little paranoid.  and tired.  i will keep praying.  it does help.  and i will think about telling someone else... :-\  i hate to cry in front of other people and i am sure i will lose it if i start in on this...  i'm just ready for my brain to settle down. :(   i'll let you know how it goes.

Offline amlucy

• Learning
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 11:52:10 AM »
The way I fought it was by trying to stay active. I crochet, so that helped. Also, I stayed around people. I delivered on Wed, discharged on Fri, and back to church that next Sun. I figured I was just going to be sitting during service, so I didn't see any harm in going. And it was in the dead of summer, so I wasn't worried too much about germs. She was probably exposed to more germs at the hospital and doctor's office than at church.

Find a hobby you can do sitting, rest when overly tired, call a friend. Find what works best for you.

Offline hollyolly123

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 03:46:03 PM »
For me, it seems the first two months are my ppd time.  I've had three kids.  I think next time, now that I know, when I need to chat or I'm really sad or think I'm losing my mind or whatever I'll let the friend or family member know that the first two months are hard on me, I know it will clear up soon, but right now my hormones are making me feel really crazy and sad sometimes, and I need lots of smiles, understanding, and visiting to cheer me up and keep me going.  It's true that others may not get it, but they will if you explain it simply without acting like the world's going to end (which is hard sometimes during ppd).

I second the unreasonable thoughts and fears.  I would have these fears that I would lose my mind and do something terrible to my baby.  And I would get angry a lot and have suicidal thoughts.  Just remember if you can that it does end!  It's just the hormones!  You'll feel better soon! And in my opinion, the enemy wants to get your thought life especially during this time when you are already vulnerable, so I asked for my husband and others to pray for me a lot, and it really helped me.  I posted on the prayer request thread too at someones suggestion and I was really glad I did!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 03:45:36 AM »
I’m composing this post and putting it in several places on this forum that have to do with emotional/mental disorders and nutritional factors.

I am reading a book by Autumn Stringham called A Promise Of Hope (ISBN: 978-0-00-200844-6). Autumn was diagnosed at the age of 20 with bipolar disorder that was unresponsive to traditional pharmaceuticals. This disorder ran in her family (mother, grandfather, brother). In desperation, her father (an engineer) teamed up with a pig-feed salesman and formulator. The salesman told Autumn’s father that the symptoms of the disorder sounded like ear-and-tail-biting syndrome which affects pigs that are missing a good ratio of trace and major minerals in their diets.

Together, they came up with a blend of minerals that could be readily absorbed by humans (it also has enzymes). Autumn has been off of all her medications for a decade now and is considered a normal thriving mom of 4 children. Her husband, by the way, is just as incredible as she is (to have cared for her and stayed with her through many, MANY things -- which you can read about in her book).

At any rate, the nutritional supplement is called Truehope EMPowerplus® and can be purchased here: https://www.mytruehope.net/store/products/truehope-empowerplus.asp?NSC=Y It is safe for pregnant and lactating women as it is a nutritional supplement and not a drug. From the site: “Nutritional deficiencies in key essential nutrients have been linked to disorders such as depression, bipolar disorder, ADD, stress, and anxiety.”

The next thing I learned is that vitamin D deficiency is also linked to many behavioral/neurological disorders. A vitamin D deficiency can lead to poor neurological function -- in both adults and children. This refers to D3 not the synthetic version.

It is recommended that 15 minutes in mid-day sun was recommended with additional supplementation of D3 for those with symptoms (these can range from ADD, foggy brain, Alzheimer’s, ADHD, Autism, Depression, etc.)

Dr. Mayer Eisenstein (www.homefirst.com) recommends that 5,000 units of d3 be taken each day as well as allowing mid-day sun exposure (15 minutes or so) each day (light/little clothing). He has case studies that includes one boy with autism that within 3 days on this protocol had gained the ability to speak. He was 12.

Vitamin D allows the body to process cholesterol as it was designed to do and it regulates MANY other functions.

So, while it may not SOLVE everything, it certainly won't hurt and will likely help in many ways. . . . in addition to helping fend off viruses that are going around, but that would be another thread.

Just thought I'd pass on the info: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/health/autism/
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline edensherbs

• Eden's Herbs
  • Wide Eyed
    • Daily Deals With Jess
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 08:02:07 AM »
I know that this is an older post but I thought it might help someone in the future.
When I have a baby I tend to have the "baby blues"  When I started searching for a natural way to help with it I came across Lemongrass essential oil and The Blues Brew it was such a huge help to me! I hope you have great results too! 
Here is the link to where you can find it: http://www.morethanalive.com/?a_aid=c7ec173f   
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 08:05:35 AM by edensherbs »
Be sure you visit my Daily Delas with Jess blog.  Go to http://www.dailydealswithjess.blogspot.com to check it out!

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 10:33:30 AM »
I’m composing this post and putting it in several places on this forum that have to do with emotional/mental disorders and nutritional factors.

I am reading a book by Autumn Stringham called A Promise Of Hope (ISBN: 978-0-00-200844-6). Autumn was diagnosed at the age of 20 with bipolar disorder that was unresponsive to traditional pharmaceuticals. This disorder ran in her family (mother, grandfather, brother). In desperation, her father (an engineer) teamed up with a pig-feed salesman and formulator. The salesman told Autumn’s father that the symptoms of the disorder sounded like ear-and-tail-biting syndrome which affects pigs that are missing a good ratio of trace and major minerals in their diets.

Together, they came up with a blend of minerals that could be readily absorbed by humans (it also has enzymes). Autumn has been off of all her medications for a decade now and is considered a normal thriving mom of 4 children. Her husband, by the way, is just as incredible as she is (to have cared for her and stayed with her through many, MANY things -- which you can read about in her book).

At any rate, the nutritional supplement is called Truehope EMPowerplus® and can be purchased here: https://www.mytruehope.net/store/products/truehope-empowerplus.asp?NSC=Y It is safe for pregnant and lactating women as it is a nutritional supplement and not a drug. From the site: “Nutritional deficiencies in key essential nutrients have been linked to disorders such as depression, bipolar disorder, ADD, stress, and anxiety.”

The next thing I learned is that vitamin D deficiency is also linked to many behavioral/neurological disorders. A vitamin D deficiency can lead to poor neurological function -- in both adults and children. This refers to D3 not the synthetic version.

It is recommended that 15 minutes in mid-day sun was recommended with additional supplementation of D3 for those with symptoms (these can range from ADD, foggy brain, Alzheimer’s, ADHD, Autism, Depression, etc.)

Dr. Mayer Eisenstein (www.homefirst.com) recommends that 5,000 units of d3 be taken each day as well as allowing mid-day sun exposure (15 minutes or so) each day (light/little clothing). He has case studies that includes one boy with autism that within 3 days on this protocol had gained the ability to speak. He was 12.

Vitamin D allows the body to process cholesterol as it was designed to do and it regulates MANY other functions.

So, while it may not SOLVE everything, it certainly won't hurt and will likely help in many ways. . . . in addition to helping fend off viruses that are going around, but that would be another thread.

Just thought I'd pass on the info: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/health/autism/

I can not wait to read this book!

Offline healyhome

• Learning
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 04:37:09 PM »
After baby #5 my chiropractor informed me that fish oils (cod liver oil) is good for PPD. Another great use for a great supplement! :)