Author Topic: "Safe" Garlic Powder?  (Read 7291 times)

Offline servantgirl

• Adept
"Safe" Garlic Powder?
« on: October 18, 2007, 09:50:07 AM »
I have used garlic powder for years, but I have been thinking about its safety lately. There are no ingredients listed on the labels, so I am assuming it contains msg and other nasty stuff.  :P :-[ I know fresh garlic is the way to go, and I use that a lot, but DH still likes to sprinkle garlic power on everything. Any suggestions of brands that would be "safe"? Thanks!!
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Offline mommie

• Master
Re: "Safe" Garlic Powder?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 09:54:01 AM »
hmmm...i love garlic salt w/ parsley and montreal steak seasoning but I just stopped using them both for that same reason...I just noticed the garlic powder w/ parsley I have thoughj says no msg added...I'll have to check the brand I got it from costco I know....would love good suggestions

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 09:55:21 AM »

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 01:02:38 PM »
http://www.bulkherbstore.com/GP
I second this....we have this garlic powder and it is GREAT!
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline servantgirl

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 02:29:20 PM »
Wow, that sounds great! I didn't even think of BHS having it. :-[
Thanks so much for the suggestion, I will order some for sure! ;D
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 03:06:56 AM »
A couple of years ago I came across an article online for making your own garlic granules, but since then can't find it for the life of me.  Anyone know how to make either the granules or powder?

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 05:59:18 PM »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 07:49:56 PM »
Great article.  Thanks!  I harvested a bunch of garlic from my garden but the outer-layer (shell type layer...like onions have) is not very thick, so it comes off when I wash the bulbs.  :(  My stalks didn't come in very thick or good, so braiding them is out of the question. I am trying to store as much as I can to use this winter.  This will be a nice way to use it so it doesn't go to waste :)
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 03:13:41 AM »
AllinHisTime,

If you leave the garlic out to "cure" it will get more of the "paper" on it. I laid my elephant garlic out in the swing on my front porch for a several days to get them ready for storage.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 03:54:01 AM »
Great article.  Thanks!  I harvested a bunch of garlic from my garden but the outer-layer (shell type layer...like onions have) is not very thick, so it comes off when I wash the bulbs.  :(  My stalks didn't come in very thick or good, so braiding them is out of the question. I am trying to store as much as I can to use this winter.  This will be a nice way to use it so it doesn't go to waste :)
Why would you wash the garlic unless you were ready to peel it?
  My favorite herb book!!

Lover-of-Beauty

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 05:48:28 PM »
Anyone have a clue about whether garlic granules fed to horses are ok for human consumption? I can get a really great deal on some, but not sure about the safety of it?

Any input / suggestions appreciated!