Author Topic: Suggestions for preventing airway inflammation in child during cold?  (Read 7422 times)

Offline LearningMommy6

• Learning
My six year old son has caught three mild colds this year.  Each time  after he starts (within a day) of showing symptoms he has started having an asthma attack.  I start using natural stuff to help him fight off the virus like oregano oil as soon as I can tell he is getting sick. I use the Albuterol nebulizer treatments to help him breathe easier but he still has had to take the Prednisone steroids to knock out the airway inflammation.  Within two hours of taking his first dose he breathes 75% better (such a fast improvement!) and then he takes one dose daily for another four days.

I know that the cortisone steroids are not good for his body but what natural treatment can I give him at the start of an illness to prevent this airway swelling from even beginning?  The doctor wants him on the Pulmocort nebulizer treatments every night but I don't see the need for that when he only gets these attacks after a cold. 

I would appreciate any advice/experience anyone would care to share!

Kim   

Offline ruhamah

• Adept
Re: Suggestions for preventing airway inflammation in child during cold?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 09:29:18 PM »
My son has had asthma since the day he was born. His first breath was a wheeze. We too used all the meds with a neb.

But now I have learn to treat it totally naturally and it works.

Put a drop or less (we have a spray bottle) of eucalyptus oil in water in his neb and have him breath that instead, it really opens him up fast when he is bad.

Also Mullein is wonderful taken in tincture form. I will not post  how to make a tincture it is on here so many times. It works really well. When he starts getting sick he always asks for the tea with the tincture in it.

Hope this helps. It has really helped us, I have not used his meds for many years now. Only wish I had known about it sooner b/c of all the meds I gave him as a little boy. Used to do 4-5 treatments per day to keep him breathing, it was really bad!

Ruhamah
Blessed with a great family!
Mom to four and wife to a man I can really look up to! (5'1 vs 6'6).

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 08:35:01 AM »
You might want to consider giving him magnesium daily.  It dilates the breathing passages.  Avoid magnesium oxide unless you think he also needs a laxative effect, though. 

On that topic, Steven Horne (ABC Herbal) says respiratory congestion is closely linked to slow bowels and poor digestion.  He recommends using enemas to clean out the colon first, then watch for improvement in breathing.

His four-step protocol for asthma is:
1) clean diet - NO dairy, refined sugar or processed flours.  Plenty of fresh fruits, veggies and whole grains.  Limited protein.  Mineral supplement.

2)Herbs to clear respiratory congestion and clean out the bowel.

3) Licorice root to help build adrenals and thus cope with stress.  Adaptogenic herbs and nervine herbs.

4) Digestive aids such as papaya tablets or enzymes.

He recommends lobelia to stop asthma attacks in place of inhalers.

His line of tinctures can purchased through Limited Edition Herbs.

Offline strawberry

• Learning
    • free range press
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 04:29:32 PM »

Can I give a 1 yo papaya enzyme and herbs to clean out her bowel...does she need it?

=

On that topic, Steven Horne (ABC Herbal) says respiratory congestion is closely linked to slow bowels and poor digestion.  He recommends using enemas to clean out the colon first, then watch for improvement in breathing.

This is really interesting.  My doc just told me today that she thinks my baby girl (1 yo today!! woohoo!) has asthma.  When she gets a cough, she holds onto for a long time (with wheezing).  But she also has never had  a great bowel system, even when I was nursing her (for the first 10 mo).

Any suggestions?

mama of 5

Offline Emily Peterson

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 11:49:31 AM »
Hi Kim,
I empathize with you.  My son who is 3 has been asthmatic for over a year and a half.  He constantly needs neb treatments with a cold and we have had to give him prednisolone steroids too almost every time he has a cold.  The steroids drastically change his behavior and weaken his immune system according to the research I have done so I know they are not good for children.  Recently he began taking Singulair 4mg per day and that has helped slow down the inflammation process.  He has not had to be on steroids since.  I don't know if you feel comfortable trying that but it worked for us.  Also, there is echinacea to give them as soon as the cold symptoms come.   Hope this helps.  Praying to the Lord to heal our son has probably helped most of all though.  I will pray for your child too.

Sincerely,
Emily