Author Topic: Cloth Diapering a Newborn for the 1st Time...  (Read 78755 times)

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
    • Spark This Marriage - Christian marriage & romance boutique
Re: Cloth Diapering a Newborn for the 1st Time...
« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2009, 09:00:26 AM »

I also do not think it takes more than 5-8 minutes a day. Irregardless if you are using covers, all-in-ones, pocket/wraps or some other new fangled thingy.

You throw them in the wash- which takes, what, maybe 1 1/2 minutes? Then transferring them to the line or dryer- another minute?
Putting them on the child takes possibly 10-30 seconds more than a disposable.

Every time you buy a new pack of diapers you will spend $6 minimum for the small package or $12 minimum for the larger package. That's about $10 minimum per week on disposabes. NOT COUNTING WIPES. But some people make their own and that will add time to your routines with washing and the changing.

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
    • Colorado's Personhood Amendment 2008
« Reply #181 on: January 15, 2009, 02:54:29 PM »
Thanks for all of the info! DH wants me to thoroughly research these before we buy. Is hot water a necessity to wash the diapers?

Offline blsd2bhome

• Adept
« Reply #182 on: March 20, 2009, 10:47:26 AM »
I may have missed this answer somewhere...but how do you get the stains out of newborn bf diapers?  Not meconium, but the yellow stains?  Is line dry the only way?  Or do I just not worry and have yellow diapers?
They smell clean, but do not look clean. 

I am using flats right now, and have some liners that have also stained.
I put them through a rinse cycle, and then through a hot wash with a small amt of soap and vinegar in the rinse cycle.  Maybe it's new-mommy brain, but I think I am missing something!
TIA!

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #183 on: March 20, 2009, 11:21:56 AM »
I may have missed this answer somewhere...but how do you get the stains out of newborn bf diapers?  Not meconium, but the yellow stains?  Is line dry the only way?  Or do I just not worry and have yellow diapers?

I put them through a rinse cycle, and then through a hot wash with a small amt of soap and vinegar in the rinse cycle.  Maybe it's new-mommy brain, but I think I am missing something!
TIA!

hang them in the sun, works every time (hang them while they are wet, works better)

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #184 on: March 20, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
Thanks for all of the info! DH wants me to thoroughly research these before we buy. Is hot water a necessity to wash the diapers?

I never use hot water anymore. I do a cold wash, then a warm wash and cold rinse.

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #185 on: March 20, 2009, 03:02:34 PM »
It usually only takes about an hour in the sun to get the stains out. And, if you're like us and still have a couple feet of snow in your yard, putting them in a sunny window works too. Not quite as good, and it takes a little bit longer.  :)

TIA!

Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #186 on: March 20, 2009, 05:18:49 PM »
I use Crickett's fitteds, and the washing instructions they sent said to wash in cold water to prevent stains, then do a second rinse in hot water.  They suggest using no more than half the amount of detergent you would usually use, plus a splash of liquid castille soap, plus a few drops of tea tree oil during the wash, and then adding about 1/4 cup vinegar to the second rinse.  This is how I've been washing our diapers and I only have two with stains that didn't wash out, and I'm pretty sure that was due to waiting too long to wash them.  Even if I don't need to, I try and wash every 1-2 days.  But make sure you don't go any longer than three days between washes.  HTH
These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.  Deut 6:6-7

www.facebook.com/LanaeLeavittArbonneConsultant

Offline blsd2bhome

• Adept
« Reply #187 on: March 21, 2009, 06:15:27 AM »
I guess hanging them out on the line is my best option for getting these stains out!

I already rinse in cold water, then do a hot wash  (in as little soap as possible) and then add vinegar with a cold rinse before spinning.  Luckily we are in the southern states, so we are having lots of sunny days for drying outside (and no snow) so I guess no excuses for getting these things out on the line!

I really don't want to use Oxy-clean or anything like that, and I know bleach is a no-no!  It has been so long since I cd'd that I am glad I have all of you to help me out with the details!

Thanks!

Offline blsd2bhome

• Adept
« Reply #188 on: March 22, 2009, 12:03:21 PM »
As a total skeptic, I hung my diapers outside today.... ;D
they are now as white as snow!   ::) :D

Who knew something so simple would bring such wonderful results (well, I guess YOU all did !  lol)

Thanks for such great advice (and cheap too!)  8) :-*

I guess hanging them out on the line is my best option for getting these stains out!

I already rinse in cold water, then do a hot wash  (in as little soap as possible) and then add vinegar with a cold rinse before spinning.  Luckily we are in the southern states, so we are having lots of sunny days for drying outside (and no snow) so I guess no excuses for getting these things out on the line!

I really don't want to use Oxy-clean or anything like that, and I know bleach is a no-no!  It has been so long since I cd'd that I am glad I have all of you to help me out with the details!

Thanks!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #189 on: March 22, 2009, 05:02:48 PM »
If you lay them flat, the sun will hit them straight on, and they'll whiten faster and brighter than even line drying them. 
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline MommyGus

• Mymanswoman
  • Adept
  • most of my kids
« Reply #190 on: June 10, 2009, 07:35:55 AM »
Just thought I would throw this out there.  I have a 10 day old baby, and before she was born, I got the small g-diapers , and ordered the green mountain cloth diapers (newborn, orange stictching) and they fit right in the g-diapers.  I personally like this system.  I can use the disposable inserts when we are out and about, and the cloth ones at home.  Here is the link 
http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/diapers.htm

I used medium ones for my now 2 yo when he was younger, and found that the regular gerber prefold diapers fit in there if you lay them horizontaly and fold them in thirds that way rather than the other way. 

just wanted to share what works for me
4yo DD: "Mom can I have a cookie?"
MommyGus: (being silly) "Say 'You are the best mom in the whole world'"
4yo DD: (being very sweet) "I love you Mom...In the best world...I love you"

Offline LilyEilis

• Adept
« Reply #191 on: July 06, 2009, 06:25:14 PM »
I'm not sure if this should go on another thread...but it does have to do with cloth diapers and newborns so hopefully this one is fine! :)

My husband and I are expecting our first baby in January and we're planning on using cloth diapers.  Thankfully, I have some experience with cloth diapers from when I worked as a mother's helper in New Zealand before getting married so I won't be going into this "cold". :) 

In NZ we used prefolds and Bummis Super Whisper Wrap covers and those worked okay, but since finding out that we're going to have a baby, I've been doing LOTS of reading on the different cloth diapers out there (a great way to use all the laying-around-from-morning-sickness time I had!) and am amazed at all the different options.  Ideally, I would like to go with prefolds and one-size covers, but I've only been able to find a couple different one-size covers...the Gro Baby system (http://www.thenaturalbabyco.com/gro-baby-shell-set-p-667.html) and Blueberry Coveralls (http://www.blueberrydiapers.com/products/Diaper_Covers/OSC).  Have any of you used either of those?  And, I'm concerned that a one-size cover, even on the smallest size, would be too bulky for a newborn and therefore be uncomfortable and ineffective...has anyone had problems with that?  Thanks for any info!

~Jessica
"...Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls." ~1 Peter 1:7f-9

Offline rejoicing

• Adept
« Reply #192 on: November 05, 2009, 03:28:12 PM »
This will be our first Cloth Diapering baby.   :o
We are planning (so far) on using homemade flannel 4-8-4 prefolds with PO felted wool and contoured polarfleece covers.  Can I skip pinning the interior diaper and just pin the fleece covers?? 
Will they be leak-proof enough w/o pul?
And for a diaper pail I was thinking on wet with a few drops of Tea Tree Oil, followed by a hot wash with vinegar downy ball. Does this sound good?
Any tips?

Offline bettarcamping

• Learning
« Reply #193 on: November 06, 2009, 06:20:31 AM »
Sounds pretty good to me :) I didn't use pins, but I found that if I didn't snappi the prefold it would fall out of place...but that was once my little one got more wiggly...probably be fine for a real newbie.
In my experience, wet pails always stink and they're a big hassle. I use a dry pail, and I've had no trouble, except to occasionally strip the diapers (now that I have a front loader, I just use the sanitize cycle!)
Good luck with your new diapering adventure! My baby is my first, so it's all we've done in our house :) And we wouldn't trade it!
Wife to the worlds bestest husband and Momma to the sweetest little girl who will be a big sister this summer!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #194 on: November 06, 2009, 07:37:40 AM »
This will be our first Cloth Diapering baby.   :o
And for a diaper pail I was thinking on wet with a few drops of Tea Tree Oil,

I have used tea tree in the pretreat I posted about HERE.

One problem I did find with it is that it CAN"T be used on blood stains- it will permanently set them. I don't have any babies but I'm thinking that tea tree might set poop stains as well. Besides, tea tree is overhavested & there are other things you can use to do the same thing.

I used to use borax in the water or baking soda works as well. Most of the time I didn't use any water at all- with a decent sealing diaper pail & daily or every other day washing it wasn't a problem. I would throw them in the washer for a full cycle with plain cold water to rinse them then wash in hot. Run them one more time plain with warm (b/c all my kids have been sensitive to soap residue) then either dry in the dryer or hang dry depending on if we had a dryer at the time or not. Yes, it's 3 times through the washer but it's not hands on time & it worked well for me. I still use this method for extra dirty clothes which DH gets a lot of b/c of his job & it works great. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline rejoicing

• Adept
« Reply #195 on: November 09, 2009, 04:44:23 PM »
Most of the time I didn't use any water at all- with a decent sealing diaper pail & daily or every other day washing it wasn't a problem.

Did you rinse them off right after, before putting in the bucket?  It didn't get "cemented" on when it dried?  :)

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #196 on: November 09, 2009, 05:20:22 PM »
I bought some of the cheap-0 big plastic draw string laundry bags from the Dollar Tree, and use those as liners.  I just dump the diapers in and the bag goes into the wash with them.  I hang the bag to dry.  Occasionally, the stitching will come loose, but they're affordable enough to get a few and keep some on hand.  And WAY cheaper than the fancy schmancy 'diaper pail liners' that tear up in the wash anyway.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #197 on: November 10, 2009, 06:58:37 PM »
We are planning (so far) on using homemade flannel 4-8-4 prefolds with PO felted wool and contoured polarfleece covers.  Can I skip pinning the interior diaper and just pin the fleece covers??  Will they be leak-proof enough w/o pul?

I'm not sure what PO felted wool and contoured polarfleece covers look like. - Do contour covers look like contour diapers (no gusseting around the legs or waist)?  If so, I would recommend either switching the diapers or the covers.  I like using fitteds with my wool covers (which have a little bit of gusseting but more to keep the shape than to keep the cover snug on baby).  The fitteds keep everything in and the covers keep clothes dry.  But when I use prefolds or contours I prefer using PUL covers because they are snug around baby's legs.  The covers keep everything in as well as keeping clothes dry. 

Also, how often do you need to wash polarfleece covers?  Is it more like the PUL where you wash them regularly as they get dirty, or more like wool where you only wash them every week or two?  Because my main problem with using prefolds or contours with the wool covers was that poop didn't stay in the diaper - some got on the inside of the cover.  Which meant that I needed to spot treat the cover by hand and that got old quick.  But if you just toss the polarfleece in the wash like you would PUL, that wouldn't be much of a concern.

It sounds like your polarfleece covers don't have snaps or velcro...???  I'm guessing that they'll be easy to Snappi in place when the baby is little, but once he/she starts wiggling around it might be tough to have to Snappi something in place.  I suppose it all depends on how wiggly your baby turns out to be :)

When I used prefolds, I just folded them in thirds, placed them in the diaper cover, then attached the diaper cover to baby.  So as long as you are able to get your cover Snappied snugly enough, you shouldn't have to snappi the diaper.  The only time I think Snappis would be helpful for diapers is with contours because you have to hold the diaper in place (with the flaps wrapped around to the front) while getting the cover on.  Again, when DS wasn't a wiggler, this wasn't a problem.  But nowadays my contours serve as backup diapers only if I've got nothing else clean. 

And for a diaper pail I was thinking on wet with a few drops of Tea Tree Oil, followed by a hot wash with vinegar downy ball. Does this sound good?

Most of the time I didn't use any water at all- with a decent sealing diaper pail & daily or every other day washing it wasn't a problem.

Did you rinse them off right after, before putting in the bucket?  It didn't get "cemented" on when it dried?  :)

When baby is 100% breastfed, the poop literally dissolves in the wash water.  No need to rinse or anything.  Just toss it in and it will come out clean!  Once baby is regularly eating solids, you will want to dump the poop into the toilet.  When DS's poop is in a ball, I just shake it over the toilet and it plops in.  No need to rinse.  When DS's poop is softer and smashed onto the diaper, I dunk it in the toilet and rub it against the side of the toilet to get the chunks out and everything washed off.  I know of people that keep a long-handled spoon or some such thing in the bathroom for scraping the poop/food chunks into the toilet, but I learned that it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would and I just wash my hands well afterward.  The poop marks on the diaper wash right off.  I've only ever had one diaper stain, and that was because I went too long once without washing.  But I've never had any diapers not get perfectly clean.  Here's what I do:  cold wash with a tiny bit of detergent and a few drops tea tree oil, then extra hot rinse with vinegar, then in the dryer with a few of those blue spikey dryer balls.  Make sure you don't use hot water before actually washing the diaper, as hot water can set a stain.  Also, I'm not sure what a vinegar downy ball is...does it actually have fabric softener in it?  If so, don't use it.  Fabric softener can decrease the absorbency of the diaper, as well as shorten its lifespan.  Vinegar is a natural fabric softener and also helps prevent build-up of detergent, which can also decrease absorbency and cause the diaper to stink.

Any tips?

I wrote three cloth-diapering posts on my blog that you might find helpful, or at least interesting ;)
Why I Cloth Diaper My Baby
Cloth Diapering 101: Types of Diapers
Cloth Diapering 201: How-To

Best of luck!!!  I loooooooove using cloth diapers, although I've never used a disposable diaper so I don't really have anything to compare it to.
These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.  Deut 6:6-7

www.facebook.com/LanaeLeavittArbonneConsultant

Offline rejoicing

• Adept
« Reply #198 on: November 11, 2009, 12:45:16 PM »
The covers I will be making myself. Pull on ones out of wool sweaters and contoured ones out of polarfleece.  I don't know about the poo on polarfleece, but when I used them for trainers, we just threw them right into the regular wash! Maybe I'll add velcro when he gets a little bigger, thanks for the tip!  My hubby spoiled me this WE and got us 3 g-diapers! YAY! So I can use those as covers too now!

Downey ball is just a little plastic dispenser-I've been putting vinegar in mine, and we LOOOOVE the spikey balls for the dryer! I am hooked for all our laundry now! LOL!

gwen-do you mean just cheapo laundry bags from $tree? And you just throw the whole thing in the wash and it all comes out clean?  Neat!  I'll have to try it!  So it doesn't matter if the diapers dry icky before going in?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #199 on: November 11, 2009, 01:44:20 PM »
If you keep a tight pail, which I can't imagine having an uncovered one :P, they should stay moist as you are constantly throwing wet ones in.   :) If I had a batch I thought was going to wash out harder from not being laundered promptly I would throw into the washer, run a rinse cycle and then add the soap/borax fill and leave overnight to soak.

Offline rejoicing

• Adept
« Reply #200 on: November 12, 2009, 03:05:06 AM »
Thanks! I guess this is going to be a learning experience for me! LOL!  :P

Offline thanksmama

• Wide Eyed
  • Thanks Mama Cloth Diaper Store
    • Cloth Diaper Store
« Reply #201 on: December 24, 2009, 07:09:36 AM »
Wide selection of cloth diapers at http://www.thanksmama.com
Cloth Diapering is easy with help www.thanksmama.com

Offline HappilyMarriedMama

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #202 on: November 18, 2012, 11:48:21 AM »
I am just entering the cloth diapering scene - I'm presently borrowing cloth diapers from a friend. My baby has had a diaper rash for almost five months, and I suspect the disposable diapers are the culprit. :-/
So.... I realize I'm going to be saving money in the long run, but I'm not trying to break the bank in getting myself set up for cloth diapering. I've found some cloth diapers in a style I think I would like for a price I really like, but here's the kicker: they're microfiber. I've always heard cotton is best, and that seems logical to me, but the cotton options are way more expensive (in my research so far). Any thoughts on microfiber diapers?
Thanks! 

P.S. No, I'm not diapering a newborn (she's actually 12 months). But I AM new to cloth diapering. :-)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 11:49:57 AM by HappilyMarriedMama »

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #203 on: November 27, 2012, 07:42:26 AM »
I believe cotton is best for a number of reasons; chief reason being it is a natural fiber rather than another petrochemical concoction.  But take that opinion with the understanding that I am an extremist in this matter.

If you really want affordable cotton diapers, the most cost effective way to have them is to make them yourself or find someone who can sew them for you.  They are inexpensive to make.

This site give great instructions and recommendations for finding affordable fabric.  I found really nice flannel sheets at thrift stores to make into diapers.
  http://mayna.livejournal.com/198548.html

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13