Author Topic: Cloth Diapering a Newborn for the 1st Time...  (Read 110091 times)

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
Re: Cloth Diapering a Newborn for the 1st Time...
« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2008, 03:49:24 PM »
What are you using to wash your diapers?

Offline milmuth

• Adept
« Reply #151 on: July 27, 2008, 03:07:20 PM »
I"ve used the same system since starting 6 months ago.  Tide or Tide clear.  I do a cold cycle with nothing or baking soda.  Then a hot cycle with 1Tbsp of Tide, a few drops tea Tree oil, and white vinegar in the rinse cycle.  Then another cycle of hot to rinse really well (it's actually a short cycle, my washer does not have a double rinse option so this is inplace of that).  No troubles the first 4months using this system. Cleared up the  problem and was fine for several weeks again...

Diet wise, he was nursing and taking some solids from the start of cloth, so that was the same.  I think he isn't drinking enough for the heat we have right now, but otherwise no dietary issues that I am aware of.  Still nursing part time at this point and eating solids as well.  I thought it could be food related but it doesn't make sense...

Would using a more absorbant liner possible help?  ALthough, hemp is very absorbant!

TIA for any words of wisdom

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #152 on: July 27, 2008, 04:01:32 PM »
Tide contains enzymes which are sometimes problematic...

Enzymes: Enzymes attack organic matter and help dissolve stains when activated with water or moisture. Sweat, urine, and feces are all organic matter so there is a risk that these substances that are lingering on baby's skin will be a target for these enzymes. In particularly sensitive children these enzymes can cause blistering, bleeding, sores and rashes.

Quote is from this site... http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

Personally, I would try something without enzymes.

You may want to check this forum, there are a ton of posts about rashes...

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

YoopreMama

« Reply #153 on: July 27, 2008, 05:16:47 PM »
Thanks, Sunshine!  I am pulling it up higher in the back...it's working fine.  I'm also making sure that the Velcro is done so that no diaper is showing on the legs. 

I would also not use Tide, milmuth.  Even w/ our gentle detergent, one pre-fold from say 10 P.M. - 6 A.M. can irritate our boy's skin mildly.

Offline milmuth

• Adept
« Reply #154 on: July 27, 2008, 09:34:48 PM »
I use tide at the recommendation of other local cloth diaperers.  We have VERY VERY hard water and nothing else has gotten them clean.  Nothing- we did try a few (forget which now) but in talking to a few other ladies they all tried several and said that Tide is the only one that works without trouble to get them clean.  They don't have rash issues since changin to Tide.  Since it has been what I have used right along, I am hard pressed to think it took 4-5months to cause a rash????  Wouldn't that have happened much sooner, esp on a child w/sensitive skin?

I will consider something else that isn't too costly, but not sure what to look for that will truly clean and disinfect the diapers with hard water or whatever it is here that makes it hard to get them clean. 

ALso, two other websites about rashes and troubles said that some of the "green" detergents were causing burning rashes and problems with some children with sensitive skin.  Reason was unknown for sure, but some mothers said they didn't get them clean enough..

It gets so confusing when I read conflicting info.  Another website suggested Tide as the best, even over all the "green" ones for the above stated reason-gets cleaner and no problems.

I should also say we use Tide for all the laundry (in honor of my dh's request to do so) so it is not a new thing for their skin.

Does anyone else use hemp diapers?  I wonder if it is the fabric as it was worse with the hemp than the cotton CPF?  maybe a microfleece/flannel liner????  Any thoughts?  Maybe it's just heavy wetter overnight and somethin we'll just have to deal with....

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
« Reply #155 on: July 28, 2008, 03:20:13 AM »
I use tide at the recommendation of other local cloth diaperers.  We have VERY VERY hard water and nothing else has gotten them clean.  Nothing- we did try a few (forget which now) but in talking to a few other ladies they all tried several and said that Tide is the only one that works without trouble to get them clean.  They don't have rash issues since changin to Tide.  Since it has been what I have used right along, I am hard pressed to think it took 4-5months to cause a rash????  Wouldn't that have happened much sooner, esp on a child w/sensitive skin?

I will consider something else that isn't too costly, but not sure what to look for that will truly clean and disinfect the diapers with hard water or whatever it is here that makes it hard to get them clean. 

ALso, two other websites about rashes and troubles said that some of the "green" detergents were causing burning rashes and problems with some children with sensitive skin.  Reason was unknown for sure, but some mothers said they didn't get them clean enough..

It gets so confusing when I read conflicting info.  Another website suggested Tide as the best, even over all the "green" ones for the above stated reason-gets cleaner and no problems.

I should also say we use Tide for all the laundry (in honor of my dh's request to do so) so it is not a new thing for their skin.

Does anyone else use hemp diapers?  I wonder if it is the fabric as it was worse with the hemp than the cotton CPF?  maybe a microfleece/flannel liner????  Any thoughts?  Maybe it's just heavy wetter overnight and somethin we'll just have to deal with....

We've been cloth diapering since my ds was born.  For a while there, our cpf were causing a yeast-type of rash.  I had to keep switching from disposables to cpf.  I had been using the home made laundry soap, but with no borax from WTM, but the ivory, I believe, or the baking soda was causing the painful rash.  I stopped using it and the rash went away, and hasn't been seen since.
      A long-time cloth diapering mom told me about the plain dawn dish liquid which costs about $1 at walmart, and she said to use 1 tsp per wash, and no more, because buildup of any kind from any soap or detergent can cause smell issues and leaking, and I'm thinking more rashes.  She also adds calgon water softener. 
     As soon as I switched to this method, not only do we have little to no smell issues, my baby hasn't had a rash since that first month.  He's almost 9 months old now.  Also, line drying is the most amazing way to dry cloth dipes, kills bacteria, gets rid of stains completely, and obliterates odors. 
     I haven't tried the calgon yet, but we do the plain old fashioned blue dawn, and it works great.  We also use vinegar in the rinse cycle.  HTH!   ;)  I looooove cloth diapering!
So grateful for all the Lord has done for me and my family.  God is so good!

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
« Reply #156 on: July 28, 2008, 03:24:25 AM »
OH, I just saw that you said you use baking soda.  I think this is what was causing my son's rash.  It's abrasive, and anything you use will usually have some kind of residue in the diapers.  Oh we use some hemp too.  I like it, don't love it, but it works okay too. 
So grateful for all the Lord has done for me and my family.  God is so good!

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #157 on: July 28, 2008, 04:35:59 AM »

This site http://pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm has this to say under Tide Free...

Personal Note: We used this detergent back in the first year of diapering.  It did an excellent job of cleaning the diapers.  However, when we switched I realized that my oldest child was sensitive to enzymes.  The redness that only came when we were out and about for the day or visiting the grandma's never came back when we switched to an enzyme free detergent.  Enzymes effect skin the longer the diaper is on.  If you change frequently like I did, skin damage from enzymes can go undetected

Offline milmuth

• Adept
« Reply #158 on: July 28, 2008, 02:19:07 PM »
thanks ladies, I'll have to try the Dawn- and line dry again (when I get a sunny day long enough  ;)

note on the baking soda- I use it in the first cycle when they are really poopy.  Since I do three cycles each time, I didn't think of it as being a problem.  Guess it is.

OH, I just thought of something else.  Tide changed their formula- now HE or more concentrated or such.  I think maybe I was still using the same amount for a long time before I realized I bought concentrate- that is probably part of it.  In case it helps anyone else, need to cut amount used in half- probably only 1tsp now instead of 1tbsp.

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #159 on: July 28, 2008, 04:16:55 PM »
Glad that worked for you Yooper.  :D

I use hemp liners and I have found that you have to be very careful because they have to be completely dry. Mine were still slightly damp, I could really tell  :-[, and causing my son a lot of irritation.

Offline milmuth

• Adept
« Reply #160 on: August 21, 2008, 07:45:47 AM »
thanks for the tips!  I've noticed the same thing about drying hemp.  And it is really rough if line dried :( 

Another question: yesterday my "clean" dry diapers smelled like fish!  :P  I rewashed them today, of course!  But why would they smell like that???

Thanks!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #161 on: August 21, 2008, 08:21:31 AM »
 Clean, freshly washed diapers shouldn't smell like anything...even if you bury your nose in and breath in deeply. Very absorbent fabrics are bad about absorbing detergent and harbouring bacteria...the fishy smell.  The detergent coating the diapers is usually linked to using too much and/or not rinsing enough.  It usually happens over a period of time, and is also linked to decreased absorbency and possibly diaper rashes.  Luckily, stripping the detergent out of the diapers is really easy.  Here is what I do with mine:
http://www.handmade-adelaide-baby.com/stripping-cloth-diapers.html

HTH!
Gwen
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline milmuth

• Adept
« Reply #162 on: August 21, 2008, 02:14:27 PM »
Thanks.  I've stripped them before, but never noticed them smelling like fish!  I am stripping them, as the rewash wasn't enough.  Thanks.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #163 on: August 21, 2008, 05:46:50 PM »
I've noticed that during the summer, mine need to be stripped more often.  (Bacteria and yeast must love warmth!)  The fishy smell is probably just due to whatever bacteria decided to set up house.  Usually mine smell more ammonia like, but I've had a fishy load before too. :P
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #164 on: August 23, 2008, 10:15:23 AM »
Clean, freshly washed diapers shouldn't smell like anything...even if you bury your nose in and breath in deeply. Very absorbent fabrics are bad about absorbing detergent and harbouring bacteria...the fishy smell.  The detergent coating the diapers is usually linked to using too much and/or not rinsing enough.  It usually happens over a period of time, and is also linked to decreased absorbency and possibly diaper rashes.  Luckily, stripping the detergent out of the diapers is really easy.  Here is what I do with mine:
http://www.handmade-adelaide-baby.com/stripping-cloth-diapers.html

HTH!
Gwen

I'm spending today using this method to strip my diapers.  Mine smell of ammonia and my 2 yo was getting blister like rashes.  Hoping this will help as I hate to buy diapers!
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2008, 04:32:18 PM »
My sister did this recently, and was frustrated that the smell still wasn't out after the first go-around.  She read that you have to keep rinsing until there are no more soap bubbles in the rinse cycle.  She was shocked at how many rinses it took...9!!!!...to get rid of all of the build up.  But she had also been using too much detergent for a long time, and also had treated spots with detergent heavily.

So don't get discouraged if it doesn't work the first time...just keep rinsing until there are no more soap bubbles.

YoopreMama

« Reply #166 on: August 24, 2008, 02:45:13 AM »
Have you all read the other ways to strip diapers on the stripping/priming diapers thread?  I like the water boiling method myself.  :)

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,15277.0.html

This discussion should probably head over there.  ;)

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
    • Spark This Marriage - Christian marriage & romance boutique
« Reply #167 on: September 26, 2008, 01:47:33 PM »

At my house, we do not need pins anymore as we use diaper covers that hold the diaper together/on now.

But back in the day...
we used to keep the pins open and stuck into a bar of soap on the diaper changing area. The pins go through the diaper easier.

Also keep a bit of sandpaper nearby (just a couple inches square is fine). Every so often rub the side angle of your pins a couple times. Learned that one from old grannies for sewing needles.

Offline yasmine

• Adept
  • God is my strength and my shield!
« Reply #168 on: September 26, 2008, 07:41:15 PM »
OH, I just saw that you said you use baking soda.  I think this is what was causing my son's rash.  It's abrasive, and anything you use will usually have some kind of residue in the diapers.  Oh we use some hemp too.  I like it, don't love it, but it works okay too. 
Hey my baby has a rash, Ive been using a lot of baking soda thinking that its totally safe and can do no harm,,ok so mabey thats whats up!HMMMMM

anyone notice that line dried diapers are stiff?,

YoopreMama

« Reply #169 on: September 27, 2008, 03:12:15 AM »
...anyone notice that line dried diapers are stiff?
Ours get a bit stiff, yeah, especially if there isn't much of a wind.  Would rinsing w/ vinegar help soften them?

Offline thus_I_fight

• Adept
    • My xanga page
« Reply #170 on: September 27, 2008, 03:27:49 AM »
Line dried clothes are stiff.  If you want to soften the diapers a little, throw them in the dryer for a few minutes after you bring them in from outside.  If stiff diapers bother your baby, you might consider that the extra cost of using a dryer is worth it for your baby's comfort, and just line dry all the other clothes.  In my experience, though, neither of my girls seemed to mind the line dried diapers.
"I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.  The LORD God is my strength, He will make my feet like deer's feet, and He will make me walk on my high hills." Habakkuk 3:19

Offline motherhan

• Learning
« Reply #171 on: September 30, 2008, 05:30:16 PM »
I really want to thank this forum for introducing me to the idea of cloth diapering. At first when I started reading about it I didn't think that I could do it, but I couldn't stop thinking about it so I decided to give it a try. I bought G Diapers and used them for one month and they were great. I was hooked on cloth diapering but I knew that the G Diaper system was not the system for me. I bought a ME and a Bum Genius and I fell in love with the Bum Genius one size pocket diaper. I have now owned and used the Bum Genius system for 4 months and I love it! It is so easy! My friend just had her 4th baby last week and she is now using BG AND my sister-in-law just found out that she is pregnant and she wants to try it too. It's interesting how many Mom's just don't think of cloth diapering until they hear of someone else doing it and then they think...maybe I COULD do that! Of course there are Nay-sayers but that is okay. Here is what I do: I wash the diapers (wash cold, wash hot, rinse cold) in Charlie's Laundry detergent (1 teaspoon). I actually have 10 diapers so I wash every day but if I had 18-20 I would wash every other day. I get the diapers out of the dryer and load them with their inserts (the night diaper gets two and lasts 12 hours+) I set them by the changing table and they are ready. I shake the poo off into the toilet and have a "spoopula" ready for stubborn poo. I put the diapers in the pail and they are ready for next wash. It's that easy. My husband loves it too!
I would also like to note that I bought 20 wash cloths for $1 at a yard sale and that is what I use for her wipes. I have a wipes warmer that I fill with water and 1 drop Lavender EO. And I bought a couple pairs of cloth breast pads and zig zag sewed 4 pieces of flannel together to make the rest. They work great!
Maybe this is to much information but I just want you to know that I am VERY excited about this!

Offline homesteadmommy

• Adept
« Reply #172 on: October 03, 2008, 01:38:16 AM »
way to go. when I started using colth diapers with my 3rd I was so excited after I realized I could do it. It is so empowering to not be dependent on Wal-Mart for my baby's needs!  Hope it continually goes well for you. I love cloth diapering!

Offline panmamma

• Adept
    • Buy toys and Help our children's home build.....
« Reply #173 on: October 13, 2008, 12:25:06 AM »
ok, this is a weird question probably, but will handwashing my diapers be ok? if so how is the best? we live in Taiwan where we don't have hot water in the washers (and it is a miracle if you have it in the kitchen!! we don't)..................can I just soak in the hottest water that comes from my bathroom faucet, then wash/scrub, rinse and hang or throw in the dryer?
i am new to this and am having fun:-)
Deana in Taiwan
married 11 wonderful years to Luke
mommy to 4 bilingual blessings
our websites: www.mlchome.org  
www.blessedtoys.com/members/mlchome/
www.homeschoolblogger.com/panshrmu

Offline thus_I_fight

• Adept
    • My xanga page
« Reply #174 on: October 13, 2008, 03:50:51 AM »
Cloth diapering is hardly a new thing.  Women were putting cloth diapers on their babies long before washing machines were invented.  So yes, you can absolutely wash them by hand.  Perhaps you can do a presoak in a wet diaper pail, then drain off the dirty water.  Then follow your washing plan; sounds fine to me.  :)  The older style, flat or thinner prefolds that our moms used to use may work better for this.  They rinse and dry so much faster.  They aren't as absorbent, but it may be worth the time and energy savings for you to try them.
"I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.  The LORD God is my strength, He will make my feet like deer's feet, and He will make me walk on my high hills." Habakkuk 3:19

Offline HOMEFree

• Adept
    • Spark This Marriage - Christian marriage & romance boutique
« Reply #175 on: October 13, 2008, 05:47:18 AM »

Yes, I was going to say the same thing. LOL!
It has only been the last couple decades where diapers were not like 3ft wide and you had to fold them and fold them.
Now we have "prefolds". That is where the name came from. Some smart women started sewing them already folded.
So, before prefolds came along women were washing in pots or tubs and using a wringer of some type. Usually the pot was boiling on a fire in the yard. (And before that technology there was a river and a rock!)
How much easier to wash, sanitize and dry a diaper if it was only one ply!

(I am sorry about your hot water situation. My inlaws have the same situation in the Philipinnes where they are missionaries. They have a special attachment on their shower head and at their kitchen sink that instantly heats the water as they need it. An american version would be an Insta-Hot, but theirs runs right into the faucet to blend with the cold water as you adjust the temp. Apparently, these are very common in the Philipinnes. I can't remember the name of what they are called, though. You probably already know what I am taking about.)

Offline 809

• Learning
« Reply #176 on: November 14, 2008, 11:22:21 AM »
Hi.  This may need to be a new thread....?
I was wondering if any of you wool-users hand wash more than 1 cover at a time?  I want to wash mine together, but don't want to have one lacking in lanolin.  Ex:  I was thinking of putting 2 wool covers in my kitchen sink...will the lanolin spread evenly to both covers?  Or should I do them seperately? 

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #177 on: November 14, 2008, 11:41:49 AM »
Hi.  This may need to be a new thread....?
I was wondering if any of you wool-users hand wash more than 1 cover at a time?  I want to wash mine together, but don't want to have one lacking in lanolin.  Ex:  I was thinking of putting 2 wool covers in my kitchen sink...will the lanolin spread evenly to both covers?  Or should I do them seperately? 

I always wash more than one cover. I usually wait until I have a sinkful (3-4), then wash them all together. I've never had a problem. As long as the lanolin is thoroughly mixed, I don't think there would be a problem. If I'm washing a lot of covers, I do add a little extra lanolin. Hope that helps.  :)
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
    • Colorado's Personhood Amendment 2008
« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2009, 08:21:45 AM »
Sorry if someone already asked this -

How much more time do you spend with cloth vs. disposable? I really want to do cloth this time, but DH is not convinced. He says with 3 kids (2 under 2), and working from home I won't have time.

Offline Rosie

• Learning
« Reply #179 on: January 12, 2009, 06:30:43 PM »
Sorry if someone already asked this -

How much more time do you spend with cloth vs. disposable? I really want to do cloth this time, but DH is not convinced. He says with 3 kids (2 under 2), and working from home I won't have time.

I've been cloth diapering for about 2 years now. At one time I had 3 in cloth diapers  ;D I don't think it takes that much more time than disposable. How long does it take you to do a load of laundry every 2 days? That's about how much extra time it takes me. I do hang my diapers to dry (which I think is essential), but I hang most of my laundry, so it didn't add time for me. My best advice would be to go with what your decides though  ;)