Author Topic: Cloth Diapering a Newborn for the 1st Time...  (Read 109009 times)

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
Re: Cloth Diapering a Newborn for the 1st Time...
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2008, 05:13:58 AM »
That's what I'll be looking forward to once the weather gets warmer here in WI ... I have her in a sleep sack for now ... we've already been through 3 outfits this a.m.   - good thing girls like wardrobe changes... ;D

Offline Mrs.Visser

• The Mrs. Visser!!
  • Adept
  • Learn & Live Well!!
    • Growing Up Herbal
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2008, 07:14:59 AM »
Okay, for those of you experienced with gDiapers or Fuzzi Bunz...give em your opinion. Here's what I've gathered so far. gDiapers are cheaper to buy starting out because you don't have to buy as many covers or wash them as much, but they're sortof like disposables in that you have to buy the flushable liners constantly. Fuzzi Bunz are more expensive to start out, and you don't really have to continue to buy anything after your initial purchase. Is that true or am I mistaken. Which one is more worth it??

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2008, 07:24:22 AM »
gDiapers are cheaper to buy starting out because you don't have to buy as many covers or wash them as much, but they're sortof like disposables in that you have to buy the flushable liners constantly.

I am NOT experienced, but I wanted to add the twist that I am considering for our upcoming baby:  gdiapers outer pants with cloth liners instead of the flushables.  This would eliminate buying flushable liners unless you wanted them on hand for outings/hubbies, kwim?  There is more info on this on the gdiaper thread:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,4003.0.html

I have no personal experience with this or fuzzibunz, though.

Offline crystaldew

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2008, 07:43:05 AM »
to littlemama24 -
some wraps are waterproof. the ones that have PUL listed as a material are for sure. wool is too and fleece is so water resistant that there can only be soaking through after 3+ pees. flannel and hemp diapers (prefolds or flat) are much more absorbant than even the "good" plain cotton ones. to check out some differenty diaper and cover options go to www.diaperware.com they sell them but also explain most things in good detail and have good pictures. for reviews about how different ones work by real moms go to www.diaperpin.com
hope this helps!

to others, yes, cloth diapering usually means you have to move up a size or two in clothes...some alternatives to the larger bulky prefolds are contour diapers or using a doubler/soaker inside a cover instead of a whole diaper. the aios and ai2s are sometimes trimmer too, but more $.

also, around the house (we did this at the start of practicing ec and love it) you can leave the diaper off! :) sounds unorthodox, but keeping a baby on a waterproof pad or on a diaper is so comfy for them and easy to swap out when wet!
*peace*

YoopreMama

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2008, 04:13:16 PM »
Well, I just did a lot of cutting and pasting into a Word document so I can print and commit to memory what may work for our diapering *next month*.  ;D  Thanks so much, Ladies, for your thoughtful replies!  :-*

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2008, 03:08:05 AM »
Just wanted to report that diapering is going much better now that I've got the hang of things.  It is becoming second nature.  I still use disposables at night or if we're out (very seldom) but dh is happy with that.  so am I.

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2008, 03:18:18 AM »
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline Mrs.Visser

• The Mrs. Visser!!
  • Adept
  • Learn & Live Well!!
    • Growing Up Herbal
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2008, 10:20:24 PM »
For some reason, I'm just hesitant about making the initial jump into cloth diapering...like buying everything I need. I guess I'm just afraid that I won't stick with it, or that it will be way more overwhelming than I'm expecting. Does/did anyone else have these feelings??

YoopreMama

« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2008, 02:38:08 AM »
Yep!  :D

If I didn't have WTM as a resource and a few other friends close by who do it, I'm sure I'd sink and wouldn't even attempt it, but I'm counting on you all to help me when I run into problems.   ;D  I figure if I can make kombucha, I can cloth diaper.  ;)

Maybe we can start a cloth diapering troubleshooting thread here...:D

BTW, I LOVE your name for your baby...it's on my list, but no go w/ hubby.   :-\

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2008, 02:42:52 AM »
Megan - that thought did cross my mind a time or two but I just resolved to make it work.  I also decided not to say absolutely NO disposables.  For us, using them at night and when we go out still saves a LOT of $.  If we lived closer to town and went out more then I'd probably use cloth then too and only use disposables at night.  At first, when I couldn't figure out how to use them right, I toyed with the idea of ditching the cloth.  But, I stuck it out and am very happy I did.  Dh is so proud of me that I'm doing this.  He is very impressed that I'd go to the extra trouble (it really isn't that much more work) just to save him $.  I am also glad to keep synthetics away from her tush as much as possible...hth

Offline here-n-there-a-little

• Adept
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2008, 04:19:51 AM »
For some reason, I'm just hesitant about making the initial jump into cloth diapering...like buying everything I need. I guess I'm just afraid that I won't stick with it, or that it will be way more overwhelming than I'm expecting. Does/did anyone else have these feelings??

It took me a long time to make the plunge too.  I deliberated over it for weeks.  Once I got them, there were many snags, but it was WTM that got me through them all.  Now it is a breeze.  I had to just get to the point where I was 'determined' and 'convinced with solid reasoning' that that's what I was going to do.  the other thing that helped was that I started out on a small scale.  For me it was prefolds with covers.  It didn't cost much so if there was a chance it wouldn't work out, there wasn't much lost.  Then, I tried one pocket diaper and on it went from there.  I am glad I made the switch.

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2008, 04:33:05 AM »

It took me a long time to make the plunge too.  I deliberated over it for weeks.  Once I got them, there were many snags, but it was WTM that got me through them all.  Now it is a breeze.  I had to just get to the point where I was 'determined' and 'convinced with solid reasoning' that that's what I was going to do.  the other thing that helped was that I started out on a small scale.  For me it was prefolds with covers.  It didn't cost much so if there was a chance it wouldn't work out, there wasn't much lost.  Then, I tried one pocket diaper and on it went from there.  I am glad I made the switch.

I also wanted to add that I am one who bought a little bit of everything.  My grandma heard I wanted to use cloth so she went and got me a ton of prefolds and some regular old-fashioned not-prefolded ones.  I personally feel that the prefolds with pins and vinyl pants work the best.  So, if they are cheaper and work fine it is way worth it... I am home with her ALL day though and to change her right away is no problem...

Offline momof6boys

• Adept
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2008, 04:49:24 AM »
I had no choice but to use old fashioned terrycloth and flannel square diapers with my first 3.  Disposible diapers were just way too much money.
Once I moved back to the USA, I used disposible and wouldn't you know, my last 3 could only use the most expensive kind--others leaked badly or caused rashes.  I am expecting again and the first thing I bought once I got past the first trimester, was a bunch of the same kind of cloth diapers I used overseas.  I am tired of paying tons of money for things I am just throwing away.  They seem to be getting more expensive by the day!
I found that if you make a place for a "diaper pail" and make a routine of washing them daily or every other day, they really are not that bad.  I am looking forward to using them again with this one.  I am sure they are much better for the skin and in the long run will be much cheaper.

• Adept
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2008, 05:25:34 AM »
I also wanted to add that I am one who bought a little bit of everything. 

I am in the middle of this right now.  Although the prefolds are my standard at the moment.  I am still on the quest to find that 'perfect' or 'near perfect' diaper for me  ;D

Here is what I want... A Green Acre Design 'type' pocket diaper, one size, with a cotton flannel lining.  Does anyone know if it exists???

Offline Mrs.Visser

• The Mrs. Visser!!
  • Adept
  • Learn & Live Well!!
    • Growing Up Herbal
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2008, 06:44:09 PM »
I really really like the g diapers. I would like to use them, but they are more expensive than disposables if you buy the flushable inserts. Now I've heard from several people to use cloth inserts instead of the disposable flushable ones that g diapers offer. My question is, what size cloth inserts do you get, prefold or not, do you buy 100% cotton, microfiber, hemp, etc. and does that work as well.
I have looked at fuzzi bunz too - they're cloth pocket diapers and they're super gentle on babies bum, but they're alot to wash all the time. With g diapers you only have to wash the insert, not the diaper itself.

What do you all think??

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2008, 10:28:32 PM »
Here's a thread with some info that may be helpful. You may want to ask your questions there.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,4003.0.html

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

• Adept
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2008, 01:45:56 AM »
I really really like the g diapers. I would like to use them, but they are more expensive than disposables if you buy the flushable inserts. Now I've heard from several people to use cloth inserts instead of the disposable flushable ones that g diapers offer. My question is, what size cloth inserts do you get, prefold or not, do you buy 100% cotton, microfiber, hemp, etc. and does that work as well.
I have looked at fuzzi bunz too - they're cloth pocket diapers and they're super gentle on babies bum, but they're alot to wash all the time. With g diapers you only have to wash the insert, not the diaper itself.

What do you all think??

G diapers are one of my favorites.  Do check out the link Whiterock suggested, it was very helpful for me.  You'll see all my comments on the same things you asked about there too.

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2008, 11:35:24 AM »
I mentioned on the buy/sell thread but thought I would here too, that I am selling the cloth diapers that I decided NOT to go with.  I mentioned before that when I decided to go to cloth I bought a little of everything to try and now that I found I prefer the prefolds I want to avail someone else to the AIO's and inserts, etc.  I know off hand that I have a few XS and newborn ones and I am sure I have others... pm me if you want details or specifics if you are interested in trying these out. 

YoopreMama

« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2008, 01:02:14 PM »
OK...an informal poll... :D

I have highlighted my notes from this thread, and see that I have 3 options for washing my cloth diapers (mostly Chinese prefolds, some inserts, fitteds, and wraps):

1)  My homemade laundry soap (borax, washing soda, Kirk's castille soap)
2)  Washing soda
3)  OUR detergent (great stuff)

Any thoughts?

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2008, 01:37:17 PM »
OK...an informal poll... :D

I have highlighted my notes from this thread, and see that I have 3 options for washing my cloth diapers (mostly Chinese prefolds, some inserts, fitteds, and wraps):

1)  My homemade laundry soap (borax, washing soda, Kirk's castille soap)
2)  Washing soda
3)  OUR detergent (great stuff)

Any thoughts?

I use my homemade laundry soap (same as yours ingredient-wise) and haven't noticed any problems.  I too use prefolds, some inserts and wraps.  The only thing is some yellow stains but I am hopeful those will come out once the weather is nice enough to hang them outside...

Offline thus_I_fight

• Adept
    • My xanga page
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2008, 05:26:11 PM »
We used cloth diapers most of the time with our first daughter.  They were great: much cheaper than disposables, and worth the extra time to me.  We just used the cheap prefolds you can buy at Wal-Mart--the thicker ones.  We used diaper pins and plastic pants and they worked fine.  I picked up quite a few diapers at yard sales and thrift shops, as most people just use these as burp rags.   As she got older we just folded a thinner diaper inside the thicker one as a doubler.  Later my sister-in-law handed down a lot of high-end really nice cloth diapers.  They worked really well.

Sadly, we couldn't make cloth diapers work for our second daughter.  We used them for a while, but she is sensitive to detergents, so I had to use soap.  The soap left a residue on the diapers that built up until they would stink of ammonia every time she wet.  The only solution I could find was to wash them in a mild detergent to get rid of the residue, and then again in soap to get rid of the detergent.  The detergents and the soap residue both caused her skin to break out, and we had to give up.  We did get a water softener, but still had problems.  If anyone can tell me a solution, I would be thrilled to use cloth again.  So much cheaper, and, IMO, better for Baby's skin.

For those using cloth diapers, here is a tip we found helpful.  We would put what are called stay-dry liners in the diapers, next to Baby's skin.  They are made from 12 x 5 rectangles of fleece.  No need to hem these--fleece doesn't fray.  Fleece wicks away moisture from Baby's skin, and keeps the sensitive area dry--even overnight.  The liners can go in the wash with the diapers.
"I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.  The LORD God is my strength, He will make my feet like deer's feet, and He will make me walk on my high hills." Habakkuk 3:19

Offline JeffAngie

• Adept
    • Our Joyful Living
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2008, 05:42:30 PM »
I have been using cloth diapers for my little one and will for the baby as well.
I have bad problems with my little one's diapers smelling like ammonia like mentioned by someone else as well. 
This is what I do to get the smell out and it works like a charm.
I prerinse the dipes before washing.
I wash them in my home made laundry soap with a couple drops of tea tree oil in the soap when I put it into my washer.
I rinse the dipes twice to get the soap out.  I put about 1/2 cup of vinegar in the fabric softener spot in my washer.  If you do not have a spot to put fabric softener, you can use a Downey ball.

Since I have started to use the tee tree oil and vinegar I have not had any problems with odors in diapers at all.

When drying dipes don't use fabric softener sheets.  This hinders the absorbency in your dipes, hanging them out to dry is the best and will help remove stains.

Hope this helps.

Here is another tip,  Need a wet bag?  Wal-Mart sells water proof pillow covers with zippers for like $3.00 this is a lot cheaper than wet bags would cost.

One more thing be careful if you are using liners made of microfiber.  These are great for absorbency but not good to be put directly against baby's skin.  I have been told that they can actually extract moisture from baby's skin and that it is not healthy.  You can still use them just sew a piece of flannel or something on one side and put that against baby's skin.

Hope this helps.

Angie

YoopreMama

« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2008, 05:44:27 PM »
...Here is another tip,  Need a wet bag?  Wal-Mart sells water proof pillow covers with zippers for like $3.00 this is a lot cheaper than wet bags would cost...
That is a GREAT tip, Angie, thanks!  :)

I'm experimenting w/ cloth already...at night, my 4 y.o. is in some of the Chinese pre-folds I got from another WT'er...I put in an insert that goes w/ a fitted from another WT'er...plastic pants and pins, and it doesn't leak (and he gets it pretty wet). 

The homemade soap may not have gotten the ammonia smell out...I did soak it, but...maybe it needs a full rinse cycle?  OUR detergent got out the smell w/ a regular wash. 

Re: folding and pinning...any sites or diagrams for folding tips?  Do you pin the front of the diaper on top of the back or vice versa or does it even matter?  I'm learning that a vertical lie of the pin is better than a horizontal lie.  Am I making ANY sense?  :D

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2008, 04:40:15 AM »
One of the lotions and notions gals gave me a great diapering styles link with instructions for folding/pining.  There are a few basic ways but I think the basic idea is just to soak up the mess and not get it on the clothes.  I am sure you could invent your own way that works for ya'! I experimented with some things and like the "angel wings" type of folding with the back pinned on top of the front, but I am not sure how that will work when the baby is a bit bigger...

hth

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2008, 10:22:10 AM »
How you fold & pin is really a "personal preference" kind of thing. I have seen diapers done in a dozen different ways & they all worked. Just find what is comfortable & easy for YOU. My husband & I even pin them differently--and I taught him!  :D
LKS

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2008, 11:58:32 AM »
Since I am selling some of the cloth diapers that I don't use I thought I would post a few pics of AIO (All in one) style diapers here for reference sake... 

(if you are interested in any for purchase you'll have to see the buy/sell/trade thread...)

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2008, 03:12:08 PM »
I thought I would chime in on my experience since I started CD'ing for the first time 7 months ago. I narrowed the choices down right away to a few that were widely used by WT'ers & friends who I go to church with. Fuzzi Bunz, Motherease, & Snugglebottoms. I ruled out the ME's & SB's because they were so bulky. I loved the FB's because they were trimmer, easier to prepare ahead of time, and were fewer pieces to deal with.

I started washing with my homemade laundry soap (borax, washing soda, soap) & vinegar. After a short time, the diapers started to smell like pee even after I washed them several times. They also leaked quite often. I found out that the soap was building up on them & causing the them to wick & react with the pee.

After lots of experimenting, I finally decided to ditch the homemade soap & get Allen's Detergent. I stripped the dipes (soaked them in a bunch of OxyClean & washed in plain water until suds were gone). They smelled MUCH better! Then, I only washed them in Allen's, a little washing soda or OxyClean, & rinsed with vinegar. Things have been great since.

Oh, & I wash every other day, which really is no big deal for me. The worst part is that my front loader is not a good model, so I have to do a double rinse cycle first, then 1 regular wash cycle, followed by a short wash cycle, then another rinse cycle to get them cleaned & rinsed well enough. Just not enough water to clean them.  I just have to push a button several times & wait longer for the dipes to be cleaned. We are thinking about getting a top loader or a better front loader when we move.

I bought used, so the elastic was different in the different lots I got. Some were tighter & others were looser, so I had to adjust the fit for that. I found I have to change the diaper every 2-3 hours to prevent leaks.

I was using disposables at night until a couple months ago. I decided to try the MotherEase I had in the drawer overnight since I still had it & nobody was looking to buy it. I used the Airflow cover it came with & it didn't leak. So, I bought another set to rotate for nighttime use. I haven't had a leak yet! It's especially good because when she has pooped in the morning before I change her, it all stays in. When she's had the disposable on & pooped, it ALWAYS shoots up the back & all over her clothes. :P So I am quite pleased with the ME for overnight diapering. I don't think I would ever put her in it to go anywhere; it looks so big!

I'm really glad I went with cloth. It's not that big a deal for me to wash them. Of course, I haven't gotten past the breastmilk only poop yet. We'll see! I guess that's all for now.

Offline hollyolly123

• Adept
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2008, 03:33:41 PM »
I use my homemade laundry soap on my cloth diapers all the time, and they never smell like pee- always fresh and clean!  I put vinegar (usually half a cup) in my rinse as well.  I had a problem with odor when I used regular detergant, actually.  I use about 1 cup of my homemade soap per load, and my washer is a top loading one and rather large.  Could be differences in water quality.  We have very hard water.  I also always add a few droppersful of GSE to my laundry soap when I make it, or it "sours" and my clothing smells sourish.  I also have problems if I use too much soap- like more than one cup per large load.

I found the same thing cloth diapering my son- concerning poop shooting out the back.  This happened all the time with my other two, and once with ds, as we didn't cloth diaper for the first week.  Since cloth diapering (bumkins pull up waterproof pants, and indian cotton prefolds with pins) I have almoast never had a leak!  And if he slept for a really long time and peed a ton, there would only be a tiny spot on his jammies  if anything, because my diapers are so soft and fluffy and absorbant.  I just love them.  I even had way more pee leaks with disposables.  I could never go back!  And they seem so much more comfy for the little ones.

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2008, 04:15:15 PM »
...Here is another tip,  Need a wet bag?  Wal-Mart sells water proof pillow covers with zippers for like $3.00 this is a lot cheaper than wet bags would cost...
That is a GREAT tip, Angie, thanks!  :)

I'm experimenting w/ cloth already...at night, my 4 y.o. is in some of the Chinese pre-folds I got from another WT'er...I put in an insert that goes w/ a fitted from another WT'er...plastic pants and pins, and it doesn't leak (and he gets it pretty wet). 

The homemade soap may not have gotten the ammonia smell out...I did soak it, but...maybe it needs a full rinse cycle?  OUR detergent got out the smell w/ a regular wash. 

Re: folding and pinning...any sites or diagrams for folding tips?  Do you pin the front of the diaper on top of the back or vice versa or does it even matter?  I'm learning that a vertical lie of the pin is better than a horizontal lie.  Am I making ANY sense?  :D

I just wanted to add, though I'm sure it has been mentioned. But just in case, snappis are great to use instead of pins. I hate pins, I always seem to stick myself with them! The snappies work really well. I've also been using wool covers that I made from sweaters. They work great! Especially for night time. And they are really easy to make, just make sure you get the soft wool, it feels better for sensitive baby skin.  :)
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2008, 06:13:13 AM »
I use my homemade laundry soap on my cloth diapers all the time, and they never smell like pee- always fresh and clean!  I put vinegar (usually half a cup) in my rinse as well.  I had a problem with odor when I used regular detergant, actually.

It may be my washer not getting enough water to rinse them. I started doing all the extra wash & rinse cycles after switching to Allen's. Actuallly, I really like the Allen's for all of my laundry. I got a gallon for $38. I only use 1/8 oz for diapers, & 1/8-1/4 oz. for other loads. That does at least 512 loads (using 1/4 oz. per load), costing about $.07 each. If I only use it for  diapers, over 1000 loads (costing $.037 per load)! I don't think that's too bad at all. The water is of minimal concern, since it's a front loader & doesn't use near as much as a top loader.

Maybe I should try my old soap again with the extra rinses to see if that was the problem.