Author Topic: cold-induced asthma  (Read 21273 times)

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
cold-induced asthma
« on: July 12, 2006, 06:44:25 PM »
  Can anyone help me help my son? He has a cold which i am treating with garlic and ginger teas (not together :P) but he has a wheezy cough at night and after playing or running to hard. Anything i can do to help calm the cough and the hurting chest? He coughs so hard he throws up! :( :P

kittyninja

and by "cold" i mean a upper respiratory infection...cos it's DEFINITELY NOT COLD HERE!!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 06:47:22 PM by kittyninja »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: cold-induced asthma
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 08:22:42 PM »
My kids have been coughing alot for a few days.  I have had some luck with GSE in some juice 3 times a day.  I also had some luck with some clover tea with peppermint, but they didn't really like the mint.  The clover tastes a bit "grassy".  I'm waiting on some Eucalyptus, (should be here tomorrow) as Beka recommended it for cough and even strep (inhaling).  I hope it works, cuz I got it now.   :-\
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 08:41:28 PM »
ooohh i got eucalytus...forgot..he's just coughing/wheeze now soon followed by puking :P...no sleep tonight...
should i just do the euc. on a wet washcloth and let him sniff it?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 09:05:43 PM »
ooohh i got eucalytus...forgot..he's just coughing/wheeze now soon followed by puking :P...no sleep tonight...
should i just do the euc. on a wet washcloth and let him sniff it?

Here's what Beka told me
I put a few drops of eucalyptus oil on a damp washcloth and the kids hold it near their face and breath it - all day, all night - as long as it takes. This soothes the coughing, and eucalyptus is very antibacterial and antiviral as well. I've killed strep and bacterial congestion overnight with a eucalyptus rag.

Do you think, rubbing on the chest or wearing a bandana around the neck would work as well with the eucalyptus.  We have done this with Vicks in the past.  I think my son would be more likely to get more out of it, if I could have it on him all the time, rather than trying to chase him around with a wash cloth all day.

Eucalyptus can sting if it's put on pure. Dilute with olive oil and it should be okay [. We do that for our youngest, Honey Sunny, who is not quite two years old. You can also put it in a mist machine - what are they called - to fill the room with the scent. Baths with Eucalyptus in the water several times a day help too.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
HONEY AND LEMON
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 07:40:03 PM »
My every "over the counter cold/cough medicine'" momma from chile said to me today, "You know Sandrita (that's what she calls me) when i was little they would just give me a few tablespoons of honey and lemon for my coughing and asthma" HONEY AND LEMON after all these years of her pouring the "keep the kids up all night" cough medicine down our throats and now MY kids,  she comes up with this!! AND IT WORKS! So simple...and I asked her "why didn't you tell me this 3 years ago?"  her reply? "I didn't know you wanted 'natural' stuff"!! :D :D  ohhh silly mommy...(both of us)
So Honey and lemon it is...dur... i make honey and lemon tea for sore throats never thought of taking straight... :-\

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
Re: HONEY AND LEMON
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 07:45:50 PM »
My every "over the counter cold/cough medicine'" momma from chile said to me today, "You know Sandrita (that's what she calls me) when i was little they would just give me a few tablespoons of honey and lemon for my coughing and asthma" HONEY AND LEMON after all these years of her pouring the "keep the kids up all night" cough medicine down our throats and now MY kids,  she comes up with this!! AND IT WORKS! So simple...and I asked her "why didn't you tell me this 3 years ago?"  her reply? "I didn't know you wanted 'natural' stuff"!! :D :D  ohhh silly mommy...(both of us)
So Honey and lemon it is...dur... i make honey and lemon tea for sore throats never thought of taking straight... :-\

My grandma used to give this to me when I was little.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 01:35:19 PM »
I have a question that will require some history.......In January my 7 yr old (who has what I will just say are breathing problems)got sick and had difficutly breathing, of course it wasn't during office hours so we took him to the er. x-ray and stuff.....pneumonia they said, then in Feb another er visit said it was the flu.....gave him tamiflu but only for two days, it scared me. Had him acting weird.  Then the in mar. actually took him to ped and he said I think he has astma....BUT.....there was no actual diagnosis. Oh, and on the first trip they did give us an inhaler.  Then I started giving him allerplex from standard process no more problems.  He went on vacation with my parents and the first time he got out of hte car in texas.....problems so my dad bought him dimetapp.  at the time I thought they said sudafed.  Oh, no that was the first time anyway the second time with my folks they also gave him dimetapp, they always buy him something liek that.  Anyway so Friday at VBS he won a coke and by friday evening was a mess. I think there is something about coke b/c other sodas have not affected him that way or maybe that was just the breaking point so today we are home from church and he is having trouble breathing even though I gave him the allerplex and have been regularly.  He has used the inhaler twice today b/c the breathing seems to be getting worse and now I know what he is going through b/c 3 yrs ago on vacation we stayed with my in-laws and they have cats and I ended up in the er. This time we did stay there but had to go over there once for supper. We were there four hours and I was doing exactly what Luke is doing today.  I have given him garlic and silver and my other son is actually sick today too, with a sore throat but I am not sure they are related.  I went and bought Luke paragone for kids today from renewlife.  All the stuff in it looks like it will be helpful but I am wondering if there is something to help his breathing fast like the inhaler w/o using the inhaler.  Course my dad wants me to go buy the dimetapp but I really dont' want to get dependent on that.  My folks are missionaries to brazil and my mom lives on actifed.  One EVERY day.  She has an allergy test once and that's what the allergist told her to do. That amazes me. Anyway, any ideas on how to open up the lungs w/o the inaler?  I guess I could have just said that but........that would have been too simple.   ;) :P

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 02:12:54 PM »
would putting him in a steamy bathroom be good or bad? do you think it would help?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 07:44:08 PM »
My daughter had asthma until she quit drinking milk.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline still*learning

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 09:04:53 AM »
I am not sure if my son has asthma or not but I did not know where else to post this.

He got a cold on Sunday and I started him on ACF and garlic poultices. On Monday I made my first batch of GOOT and also got Sambucol. I have been giving him Sambucol four times each day and GOOT about 4 times as well.

His cold seems to be improving but now he has a dry cough. I am concerned because last year he had a dry cough for about 5 months before it went away.

He is 13 months old and was quite sick last year. He had bronchilitis twice last year and when he got colds they went into ear infections and then aggravated his breathing and he ended up on the nebulizer each time.

Well in April I joined this forum and since then have been making changes in our diet and the way we handle illness and have had success with treating naturally. I am concerned though because I would prefer to not get back into the nebulizer treatments. He has not had a nebulizer treatment since April and they were going to go the route of diagnosing him with cough variant asthma.

He will not drink tea - I have tried. He is very picky and it is oh so hard to get him to take medicine. He is also getting four teeth right now and had surgery just three weeks ago for a skin condition - he is normally so happy but today is pretty cranky and won't take his nap.

Any other advice anyone can offer?

Offline AgainstTheGrain

• Adept
  • John & Me
    • My Blog: For Such A Time As This
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 08:01:57 PM »
Vanessa in Iowa
Mom to 5 boys and 1 baby girl ages Newborn to 12

Offline still*learning

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 02:34:44 PM »
This is very interesting!

He is only 13 months old could he have leaky gut?

He was breastfed until exactly 12 months. Both of my babies had a hard time with dairy so I was dairy free for about 6 months with him. During the dairy free is when he was having most of the problems with the coughing.

He has had numerous antibiotics and has been on steroids several times.

ALSO - I was given antibiotics when I was in labor because he was born 4 weeks early and they did not have my group b strep test back. All of that and of course I found out that it was negative after I had him.

I just started this quest for a healthy lifestyle in April when I joined this forum and if I only knew then what I know now!

What can I do for him? I have given him several rounds of Tummy Tune Up but should I do that more frequently???

He loves yougurt and eats it at breakfast everyday and sometimes even more throughout the day.

Thanks for your help.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 02:51:40 PM »
There are many causes of 'leaky gut'. Babies for example are born with higher intestinal permeability than older children or adults. Therefore, ideally infants should consume only breast milk for the first several months of life and other foods should be introduced cautiously.(4)

from http://www.healingdaily.com/conditions/allergies.htm
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline AgainstTheGrain

• Adept
  • John & Me
    • My Blog: For Such A Time As This
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 07:40:42 PM »

He is only 13 months old could he have leaky gut?

I remember in one of the articles about ways you can get leaky gut it said that only 1 round of antibiotics ANY time in your life can lead to LG  :-\  From what I've read, I think most if not all people have some degree of LG. Homogenized milk can even lead to it.   Had  I known this last Jan I wouldn't have taken an antibiotic for a sinus infection (although I knew enough to take a good probiotic with it). Unfortunately, the antibiotic probably got to my baby, but the probiotic only benefited me. :-[  From the way I understand probiotics, I've never really read anything on it but would guess it wouldn't go through the ambilical chord.

Although I've been on a "health" quest for  about 6 years, I've only recently discovered more healthy ways to eat as well (thanks to this forum ;)) . . . it's a journey and you do what you can with what you know and what's available to you!!  One thing I've started doing this last month is making my own yogurt. From my understanding it is one of THE BEST ways to repair LG (and less expensive than Tummy Tuneup).  It is so incredibly easy. I then mix it at about a 60/40 ratio with store bought yogurt 'cause I'm still trying to wean us over to it. My 9yo actually took several bites of Strawberry Yogurt tonight and he's been the HARDEST to get to eat it ;D

If his steroids were inhaled through a nebulizer, that's better than a liquid form that actually gets into his blood. But, asthma symptoms are nothing to fool with. I've had my son turn blue on me before because his % oxygen level got low. It can be life threatening, and finding the root cause of asthma symptoms can be very tricky and frustrating. We're still working on our son . . . . it's a process. :-\
Vanessa in Iowa
Mom to 5 boys and 1 baby girl ages Newborn to 12

Offline Monita

• Adept
Re: cold-induced asthma and exersise-induced asthma
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 03:31:29 PM »
My son is 9yo. and has shortness of breath and weezing after any type of exercise.  He could be swimming, playing at the park and he will need to sit down and rest to catch his breath.  I never thought anything about this, I just thought he just got tired more quickly than the others. ???  My friend, who is a PA, said that I need to get him tested for exercise indused asthma.  She said that the Dr. will give him an inhaler to use a few min. before he does any activity and that will treat the problem.  She and I were watching the kids play when she noticed Ryan having a hard time breathing and decided to listen to his lungs, she said that one seemed full.  I did not ask full of what I just said oh, he'll be OK this is normal for him.  Now, I'm thinking I should check into this.  He was playing tennis with my hubby yesterday and was really weezing.  Also, this weekend they went to a birthday party and he needed to sit down for awhile after jumping in the bouncy castle for just a few min..  He also gets wheezy when he has a cold.  Whenever he has a cold I make sure he is pretty inactive because he says he "looses his breath".  I have never heard of these things before.  I have read all of the posts on asthma but still am not sure what to do for Ryan.  Does anyone know about exercise induced asthma?

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 04:31:14 PM »
I didn't know there were different types of asthma.  I just thought the triggers were different for different people.  I will say this though. The inhaler will just mask the problem not fix it.  If it were me I would look into finding a cure for it not just something to open the lungs when he is having trouble breathing.  Just my two cents.  That is what I am doing with my son.

Offline bettysboys

• Learning
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006, 09:22:33 PM »
Hi, I am fairly new to posting, but I wanted to share a few things with you.  I have a long family history of asthma and now I have two boys that also have it.  I certainly understand desiring to find natural ways to deal with the symptoms and heal the causes.  I do know that having your asthma symptoms controlled can greatly decrease you need for steroids and stronger medications.  Also, many times asthma can be caused by food allergies.  For instance, my sister was allergic as a child to anything acidic such as oranges or tomatoes.  Getting allergy testing done on her was very helpful in being able to manage her asthma.  Who knew that Friday pizza at school could cause an asthma attack?  Once my parents knew some of her hidden triggers they could avoid problems.  She also had problems during and following a cold.  As she grew a little older she underwent the regimen of allergy shots and while not eliminating her symptoms it did greatly decrease them.  She has not needed a nebulizer treatment for years and manages without being on any daily medications.  My oldest son's asthma is "exercise" induced and we have found that using a low dose inhaler when he is struggling has really made a difference.  Praise the Lord that we have not needed it often, but I am thankful when he starts his wheezing and coughing that I can do something for him.  If you ever wonder what having an asthma attack is like, try breathing through a drinking straw.  After a few moments you feel tired, maybe even lightheaded.  A few more minutes and for some panic sets in at the inability to take a full breath.  Sometimes being able to quickly aide them is such a blessing.  Sorry for rambling.  Hope I was clear.  God Bless!

Offline MQM

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 02:59:24 PM »
  Can anyone help me help my son? He has a cold which i am treating with garlic and ginger teas (not together :P) but he has a wheezy cough at night and after playing or running to hard. Anything i can do to help calm the cough and the hurting chest?
My daughter is having a lot of trouble breathing right now--short breaths, wheezing and grunting at times--from a cold.  I'm going to try eucalyptus, but has anyone heard of Symfre Tea or tried it?  Supposed to "help ease breathing and deepen relaxation and sleep. ???

I found it on Vitamin Shoppes' website and the following link.

http://www.yourwholenutrition.com/readon.asp?id=140

The above website speaks "of Indian claims that colds and flu could be cleared up in a day, and that sore throats could be cured in a matter of hours."

Offline MQM

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 10:21:14 AM »
DD's breathing is still pretty wheezy but now her cough is much more mucousy.  I can't get my hands on any of the actual herb mullein, which I read on Bulkherbstore.com to be good for helping the mucous to drain. Vitamin Shoppe carries the Alvita Mullein Tea, but is currently out.  I did find some mullein drops, not the flower oil for ears, but a liquid for mixing with water to drink.

Does anyone know if this method of consumption is safe for children? My sister found them at Vit. Shoppe and is picking some up for me and I'd like to try it for DD whose  breathing sounds downright awful.

My cousin says her daughter sounded the same way when she had to go to ER and they told her she was low on oxygen and gave her one of those breathing apparatus whatchamacallits--not the nebulizer but an actual machine that produces oxygen and is held in front of the child while it is blowing out.  I think that might have been a little drastic, personally, but I do want to help her breathe.

Any ideas?

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 11:09:49 AM »
You know when I was preg this last time I was sick and the midwife suggested marshmallow root.  It helps thin that mucous out and makes it easier to get rid of but you do need to increase water for it to work best.  My son takes fengre from SP for that now but I got the root at the healthfood store.

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 01:28:09 PM »
All of my children have asthma.  We use Eucalyptus on a cloth to treat wheezing.  They carry the cloth with them all day and sleep with it at night if need be.  I have even added a few drops to a nebulizer for severe wheezing.

For cough I slice up an onion and put the slices in a small towel.  I put the towel on the child's chest along with a hot water bottle and cover them up.  I do this several times a day, if need be.  But, to be honest, they usually feel much better after the first treatment.

When I'm slicing onions for their treatment I put a few slices in some honey and let that sit.  Then I have them take a teaspoon of it before bed.  I almost never have a child up coughing after taking this!  (It even works on sceptical husbands desperate for some sleep after several nights of coughing!)
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline all4him

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 09:47:01 AM »
All of my children have asthma.  We use Eucalyptus on a cloth to treat wheezing.  They carry the cloth with them all day and sleep with it at night if need be.  I have even added a few drops to a nebulizer for severe wheezing.

For cough I slice up an onion and put the slices in a small towel.  I put the towel on the child's chest along with a hot water bottle and cover them up.  I do this several times a day, if need be.  But, to be honest, they usually feel much better after the first treatment.

When I'm slicing onions for their treatment I put a few slices in some honey and let that sit.  Then I have them take a teaspoon of it before bed.  I almost never have a child up coughing after taking this!  (It even works on sceptical husbands desperate for some sleep after several nights of coughing!)
WOW! I know this is really an old post, but I am so happy for this info! Only wish I'd had checked on a few of these links last nite! My son (7) has had asthma symptoms a few times a yr. ever since he was 2, (we never had him to the DR) and just yesterday started with another-- I rubbed him down with peppermint, about 5-8 times yesterday, and didn't seem to help to much! DH and I took turns (my turns were longer! :P) most of the nite last nite jumping on the rebounder with him! I also had the difuser beside him with peppermint, and Eucalyptus-- finally this morning buckled down and gave him an enama (poor guy- hates 'em)-- but he's now almost back to normal- thank- God! But, now that he's laying down for a nap, i'll try the onion and hot water bottle! Thanx!
The Joy of the Lord is my Strength!

Offline lavendergirl

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2008, 05:22:42 AM »

Is there an exact science to the honey / lemon? we all have the flu and we are hacking all night :(
We slathered goot on and had some oils going in the crockpot but still the coughing. Thanks for your help. You girls are great and a gift from God ;D ;D ;D ;D

Becky

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2008, 02:07:08 PM »
i don't know exactly but i typed it in google and i found this article:
  How To use Honey and Lemon to Cure cough
The correct way to cure cough naturally.
How To use Honey and Lemon to Cure cough
Enlarge Image
Browse the internet for remedies to treat cough and you will find tens of them from all the world countries use Lemon or Orange , and a fewer number uses honey with or without Lemon.

Unfortunately, they use them the wrong way that made people prefer to use supplementary vitamin C for more convenience and with comparable results. Almost all people CUT the lemon and squeeze it to get its juice, yet cutting the Lemon peel may release enzymes recently found in the rind of many fruits, and these enzymes may change some costituints of the Lemon juice.

For hundreds of years, the best way to use Lemon to cure cough was to boil the INTACT Lemon in water before squeezing it, and no body knew why. In view of the recent findings, the cause may be that boiling the lemon kills enzymes present in its rind ( enzyme denaturation).

The procedure to prepare the best natural cure of cough is as follows:

1- Fill a can with water and put a middle or big sized Lemon.

2- Leave the can to boil for about 10-15 minutes till it bocomes soft but intact.

3- Take the Lemon and squeeze it to extract its juice.

4- Clear the juice or filter it.

5- Add the juice to 1/2 cup of honey ( or about 60 ml).

Some people - including me- add 30 ml ( 2 tablespoonful ) glycerin to the Lemon juice before adding honey.

Take 1 tablespoonful 3 times a day.

This is the best known natural cure of cough of people of any age through all times. Prepare for the fall and winter the right and easy way.