Author Topic: Skirt Pattern Anyone?  (Read 88825 times)

Offline NaturallyGinger

• Learning
  • Hiking with the family.
Re: Skirt Pattern Anyone?
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2007, 03:22:55 PM »
I love this wrap skirt.  It would be great, for summer, about knee length with some patchwork around the bottom.  I cant wait to make one!
-Ginger
Wife to a loving Mark, mother to my beautiful Reid and Vara.

Hebrews 12:3 " Consider Him who endured opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
  • Big sister to Wind_Dancer
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2007, 03:25:47 PM »
http://patternsthatfityou.com/frskirtcl.htm

i wanted to post this for anyone interested.
it seemed like a neat site. with "free" classes. wish i'd learn.

Good site! I had forgotten about it. I also have enjoyed looking at http://www.seeitsewit.com/store/stores_app/store.asp?Store_id=129&page_id=5  The basic knit skirt pattern is free (and you can easily lengthen it if the mid-calf lengthen is shorter than you desire) and there are some additional details* that you can purchase for under $10 (I think). I so want to make the one with the flounce...it's so girly yet modest. And it adds more ease for walking.
FYI, you do have to register to able to access the free patterns and classes.
* instructions for the flounce, ruching, etc.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 03:30:05 PM by CrimsonRose »

Sign the petition and say no to abortion!

Offline Naomismama

• Adept
« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2007, 09:33:06 PM »
QUESTION!!!
Does anyone know of a good modest shirt pattern they could recommend?? . . . . . all that without looking like total nerds!  ;D LOL If anyone can recommend anything, I'd appreciate it!

LOL! You mean without the pocket protector!? ;D

NO pocket protector!!! :o  We still want to maintain some kind of level of dignity!!! LOL
Check out my yahoo group, (or PM me) for info on my baby slings!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/santinasslings/

Offline AnnaBanana

• AnnaBanana
  • Adept
  • Aloha ke Akua!
    • Lilia Designs & YINIA!
« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2007, 09:49:12 PM »
Don't have time to read replies to see if this has already been brought up, but I came across the circle pattern the other day, and I just love it!!  It is so full and beautiful, and most of all, anyone can make one!  Just google circle skirt pattern, and you'll find sites with good instructions for making your own pattern.  Very easy.  Promise.  ;)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2007, 07:30:04 AM »
With summer being here, I thought I'd pass along my trick for turning a slip into a split slip (one with legs) to prevent your legs sweating against each other.

I cut a piece of muslin (100% cotton) in a long rectangle 10 inches wide by your slip length less 12 inches (this is from waistband to hem) doubled. So, if your slip was 36 inches long, your muslin would be 10 inches by 48 inches (24x2).

Lay your slip on a flat surface and cut up the middle from the hem towards the waistband. Stop 12 inches below the waistband. You should have two raw edges (one on the front and one on the back).

Pin the muslin (right sides together) to the front raw edge matching the long side. Repeat for the back using the other long side of the muslin. Sew securely and hem at the bottom. This will create two legs of natural fiber that will be kind to your skin.  The slip will still move and sway like a slip, with the hidden panel now sewn between your legs. The 10 inches allows for this, but if you have a slimmer fitting slip, you could adjust your fabric and make it more narrow.

If you have matching fabric, you can do this also with a skirt to make a split skirt. I like this method because it doesn't create a seam which splits your bottom and tends to ride up. Just reinforce the seam at the crotch. This method also helps preserve the natural drape of the skirt rather than just looking like a pair of cut off pants.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline busymomma

• Adept
  • As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2007, 02:22:22 PM »
With summer being here, I thought I'd pass along my trick for turning a slip into a split slip (one with legs) to prevent your legs sweating against each other.

I cut a piece of muslin (100% cotton) in a long rectangle 10 inches wide by your slip length less 12 inches (this is from waistband to hem) doubled. So, if your slip was 36 inches long, your muslin would be 10 inches by 48 inches (24x2).

Lay your slip on a flat surface and cut up the middle from the hem towards the waistband. Stop 12 inches below the waistband. You should have two raw edges (one on the front and one on the back).

Pin the muslin (right sides together) to the front raw edge matching the long side. Repeat for the back using the other long side of the muslin. Sew securely and hem at the bottom. This will create two legs of natural fiber that will be kind to your skin.  The slip will still move and sway like a slip, with the hidden panel now sewn between your legs. The 10 inches allows for this, but if you have a slimmer fitting slip, you could adjust your fabric and make it more narrow.

If you have matching fabric, you can do this also with a skirt to make a split skirt. I like this method because it doesn't create a seam which splits your bottom and tends to ride up. Just reinforce the seam at the crotch. This method also helps preserve the natural drape of the skirt rather than just looking like a pair of cut off pants.
Wow!  Thanks! I have that problem being a bit "fluffy" I will have to try that  ;D
As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2007, 05:23:58 AM »
i was on it trying to figure out what a 6-8 gored skirt is. still don't know! anyone?  did a bull get a hold of it?
I'd also like to know, but I googled and it appears it's just a skirt with 6 pieces (not including the waistband).
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2007, 06:10:41 AM »
i was on it trying to figure out what a 6-8 gored skirt is. still don't know! anyone?  did a bull get a hold of it?
I'd also like to know, but I googled and it appears it's just a skirt with 6 pieces (not including the waistband).
In those rare moments when I have spare time, I sew.  I know what a gore is, but I don't know how to describe it without a picture.  I will do my best.  A gore is just a part of the skirt.  It usually tapers (gets thinner)at the top to fit the waist and flares (gets bigger) at the bottom.  The number of gores will reflect the fullness of the skirt at the bottom.  Often, with gore skirt patterns, you can increase the size of the skirt simply by adding another gore.  Depending on the pattern, there may or may not be a separate waist band.  You can have a fitted band with a zipper or just an elastic waistband.  The ones with an elastic waist are very easy to sew.  If you can manage to sew in a straight line and can follow directions, you can make one of these.  HTH
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.  -- Albert Einstein

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2007, 06:38:10 AM »
A gore is just another way to say a 'panel' of a skirt that has a flare at the bottom. A skirt with 2 panels isn't really referred to as a 2 gore. But from 3 or 4 and more, the panels are called gores if they flare at the bottom. The combined width of the panels connected at the waist equals the waist size for a fitted look. The width of the panels combined at the hem creates a flare.

The purpose of the gores (panels) is so that the grain of the fabric is lying consistently throughout the garment. This cannot be duplicated when the skirt is one large piece of fabric. The lay of the grain affects the drape of the garment and the movement at the hem.

To understand the lay of the grain of a piece of fabric, imagine a striped piece of fabric. If you cut it in one piece (like for a circular skirt) the stripes would not all run from the waist band to the hem in a straight line. Using gores allows the stripes to run from the waistband to the hem more consistently.

Fabric will give and stretch more on the bias (diagonal to the grain) than on the grain. Some fabrics have more stretch than others. Other fabrics are made to stretch in all directions. This is why the direction of the grain affects the look of the garment.

HTH

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2007, 06:49:29 AM »
QUESTION!!!
Does anyone know of a good modest shirt pattern they could recommend?? My sister and I agonize over buying shirts. We are looking for something where the sleeves are at least down to the elbow and no higher, a regular close fitting neck line, and something that isn't all tapered around the bodice, comes down long enogh, maybe to our hips - all that without looking like total nerds!  ;D LOL If anyone can recommend anything, I'd appreciate it!

This may sound weird, but a friend of mine and I were talking about this while we were at a few local resale shops.  We found that tiny maternity clothes...(ya know the ones that don't look like maternity clothing but are for the not-so-big pregnant ladies?) are less fitting around the bodice areas and are pretty modest.  So, we walked out of there with a few maternity tops and they look great! I figure if and when I do get pregnant, Lord willing, then I'll have a few items instock "on faith".  *_*

Alot of it depends on the cut and style of the shirt and your own shape as well.  The last thing I want is to LOOK pregnant when I am not!
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2007, 07:24:04 AM »
QUESTION!!!
Does anyone know of a good modest shirt pattern they could recommend?? My sister and I agonize over buying shirts. We are looking for something where the sleeves are at least down to the elbow and no higher, a regular close fitting neck line, and something that isn't all tapered around the bodice, comes down long enogh, maybe to our hips - all that without looking like total nerds!  ;D LOL If anyone can recommend anything, I'd appreciate it!

I found this site with LOTS of free patterns online. They have skirts, dresses, tops/tunics, pants and other. Some are charity patterns and all they ask is that if you use one, you make extra for a charity.
http://www.fmfcorp.com/familyspot/sewing.html#tops

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #101 on: June 01, 2007, 04:31:19 AM »
If you are learning to sew or want to hone your skills, I found this resource online. It's free and it shows you how to make your own patterns from your own measurements. There is an entire textbook that you can look through with patterns and methods from the 1900's to the 1950's. They show you how to make a sloper (sort of a paper guide based on your measurements), and from that how to design your own fashions. If I had a daughter, I would use this as a math credit for homeschooling. They even have tips on how to do your own dry cleaning.
http://www.vintagesewing.info/

I also found these instructions on how to draft a 3, 5 and 7 gore skirt.
http://www.tudorlinks.com/treasury/freepatterns/w191214cdgoreskirt.html

The instructions are good, but I would add two items that they did not mention:

First, measure down from your waist to your hip. This may be from 7 to 12 inches, depending on your size. Then, measure around your hips at the widest part (tighten those cheeks  :)). When you are constructing your draft for your skirt, give enough room for your hip measurement. In other words, on the front panel, the waist measurement is 1/8 of your total waist measurement. Seven inches lower, there should be a horizontal line 1/8 of your total hip measurement. Repeat this on the side and back panels using 1/4 of your total hip measurement. Drawing a line down from the waist to the hip and following the angle out to the hem will give you enough room for movement at the hem.

Second, when determining the length of your skirt, measure from your waist to the floor. Have a measurement for the front, the side (from your waist, over the hip, to the floor) and the rear (from your waist over your bum to the floor). Once you have these three measurements, SUBTRACT the number of inches you wish your hemline to rise from the floor. So, if you are short and wish your skirt to fall just below the knee, you might want the hemline to rise 12(+/-) inches from the floor. A taller person may only wish to subtract 3 or 4 inches from the total length. This method allows the hemline to hang evenly (relative to the floor) all of the way around. This keeps the back from riding up if you must bend or stoop.

Are you saying to cut the back (or sides) longer than the front? If the measurement from your waist to the floor is longer in the back (or sides), yes. When you are wearing the garment, this allowance will make sure that your hem falls at the same place all of the way around.

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2007, 05:32:01 AM »
Off I go to try to make time for all the skirts I want to sew.  Thanks, SC.  You explained all this far better than I could!   :-*
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.  -- Albert Einstein

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
  • Big sister to Wind_Dancer
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2007, 02:26:46 PM »
Off I go to try to make time for all the skirts I want to sew.  Thanks, SC.  You explained all this far better than I could!   :-*

I second this. The pattern website is GREAT. You've saved me a whole lot of "google time".

QUESTION!!!
Does anyone know of a good modest shirt pattern they could recommend?? . . . . . all that without looking like total nerds!  ;D LOL If anyone can recommend anything, I'd appreciate it!

LOL! You mean without the pocket protector!? ;D

NO pocket protector!!! :o  We still want to maintain some kind of level of dignity!!! LOL

{This isn't about a pattern, I haven't quite gotten the courage to move onto shirts yet. The idea of making all those adjustments (shoulder, bust, armhole, dart position...) is rather scary to me and I would have to adjust it, because being petite patterns don't fit quite right just they way they are printed.} 
Anyway, maybe you could try sleeveless blouses/shells with sweaters or jackets? That way you can have a stylishly modest outfit, at least for church and the like. I have several open-weave cotton sweaters and light-weight silk sweaters that I wear with sleeveless tops. It works for all but the hottest days of summer and the best part is you can wear your shells most of the year by pairing them with heavier sweaters or blazers/jackets in the winter and the lighter weight sweaters and jackets in the summer. Just a thought...

Sign the petition and say no to abortion!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2007, 03:48:34 AM »
Here's a quick tip for someone wanting a fitted look without a lot of sewing. Put your garment on inside out and look in the mirror for a guide. Pin the garment leaving enough allowance for ease of movement. You may either insert darts or just take in room at the seams. When you remove the garment (because you were wearing it inside out), it will be ready for alterations. In this way you can remake clothes that would otherwise not be worn.

To adjust the hem on a garment. Get your measurement from the waist to the floor (wearing whatever shoes you prefer). Subtract from that number the number of inches you wish your hem to rise above the floor. See my note above about taking side and back measurements. Your resulting answer will tell you how long to make your skirt and where to hem it without needing an extra pair of eye/hands to help you pin the hem.

Okay, I have to go and hug my boys now, because all of you have me thinking about daughters  :-\ ;D

Offline Kymdenise

• Adept
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2007, 02:41:10 PM »
Argghhh.. Okay, so I made a really cute skirt.. I cut off jeans and attached gathered material.. like a peasant skirt. I did two tiers.. One problem.. I didn't really measure the hem, so of course on the sides, it hangs lower than the front and back (I'm really new to this).. Any suggestions on how to fix? I'd love to attach a pic, but I don't know how. I was soooo close to pulling this off!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2007, 02:47:27 PM »
Argghhh.. Okay, so I made a really cute skirt.. I cut off jeans and attached gathered material.. like a peasant skirt. I did two tiers.. One problem.. I didn't really measure the hem, so of course on the sides, it hangs lower than the front and back (I'm really new to this).. Any suggestions on how to fix? I'd love to attach a pic, but I don't know how. I was soooo close to pulling this off!
see reply #102  ;)

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2007, 11:48:13 AM »

Isn't the uneven hem in style now anyway! Just wear it and smile... people will think you meant for it to look that way!
Every Day You Save My Life

Offline titus2wam

• Adept
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2007, 04:08:33 AM »
I know this thread is older and i have not read true the entire thing, but i found this pattern and though you might be interested
http://www.xanga.com/connimom/550031672/making-a-wrap-skirt---part-2.html

http://www.xanga.com/connimom/549154186/how-to-make-a-wrap-skirt---part-1-cutting.html

I hope these are clickable.
In HIM
Jeri
Life with basething!! ahhhhhh! :>) don't ya wannna come along?

YoopreMama

« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2007, 03:49:06 PM »
I just came accros this page of instructions for a peasant skirt.  Looks simple
http://www.jcarolinecreative.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=JC&Screen=PSKIRT
I just discovered this today, too.  We're going to try it for dd who is 8--the calculator is nice for computing how much you need based on waist/hips.  I think the links are the same...
http://www.jcarolinecreative.com/Merchant2/peasantskirt_inst.html
I've pulled my scrap fabric out...time to figure out our design!  How exciting!   ;D

YoopreMama

« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2007, 09:00:05 AM »
Here's the photo of the skirt I like better (from the craft show), w/o a pattern.  I'm going to try and duplicate it anyway...

Offline KADETMmom

• Adept
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2007, 05:44:16 AM »
For those of you making the peasant skirts ((lots of gathering)), here's a method I learned from my SIL...

Instead of gathering stitches...  Use a long piece of yarn - string is much preferred - and use a large enough zig-zag stitch to attach string as your 'gathering' stitches - make sure to keep it all in your seam allowance - I don't remove anything but the string.  Key: don't catch fibers from yarn or string, or it won't work very well. 

{and I hope this making sense to someone!   ::) }

So, now you can quickly pull your string to gather the material... pin and stitch... remove string and use it again on the next gather.

I inherited some cotton string (for crocheting/tatting??? I don't remember) that works perfectly for me.  Hope you can find something similar if you want to try this.  Avoid yarn if at all possible -- the fibers are way too loose to make this as easy as it can be with the right string.   ;)

hth!  Have fun with your projects! 

...off to stir the potatoes...
melanie
"He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God..."  Psalm 40

YoopreMama

« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2007, 09:18:07 AM »
Thanks, Melanie, I think I followed that...now to think about where I have some string...I like the idea!  :)
P.S.  I picked and cut out the fabric for skirt #1 today and lined up the fabrics for #2...the first is white, yellow, blue/yellow, blue, and white.  If it turns out...I'll post!  ;D

YoopreMama

« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2007, 11:57:40 AM »
OK...so I got it made and learned lots;D  I think I'll make more, knowing what to do differently...the top blue is my dd's shirt pulled up.  The skirt begins at the white layer...need to modify lengths of tiers some...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 12:13:07 PM by Yooper »

Nickole

« Reply #114 on: November 28, 2007, 12:03:27 PM »
Oh precious!  This really inspires me!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2007, 06:00:57 PM »
I found a petticoat pattern and I have some material that is too sheer for a skirt, so I figured "why not?".  Anyway, I'm just wondering about how bunchy the material will be.  Does anyone know if I should make the petticoat smaller around than the tier skirt (like maybe an inch smaller all the way down??)  What do you gals think?

Here's the pattern from a link SC posted earlier.

http://www.theanticraft.com/archive/imbolc07/petticoat.htm
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2007, 06:14:14 PM »
I found a petticoat pattern and I have some material that is too sheer for a skirt, so I figured "why not?".  Anyway, I'm just wondering about how bunchy the material will be.  Does anyone know if I should make the petticoat smaller around than the tier skirt (like maybe an inch smaller all the way down??)  What do you gals think?

Here's the pattern from a link SC posted earlier.

http://www.theanticraft.com/archive/imbolc07/petticoat.htm

If you are going to use that pattern for a petticoat to go under a skirt that is fuller than it is it's pretty slim fitting already so I wouldn't make it any smaller.  HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2007, 06:41:13 AM »
I was going to use the skirt calculator that Yooper posted, but I don't have near enough material for the bottom tiers and I only have enough material to make 3 tiers instead of four.  I have a design written on paper but it's not tried and I was hoping that if you have any tips or patterns, I could compare them to my figures and make sure I'm on the right track.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2007, 11:29:45 AM »
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 11:50:12 AM by Yooper »

Nickole

« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2007, 12:00:10 PM »
I saw patterns on ebay as well.  Also other terms to look up skirts to buy:

Broomstick
Peasant
Gypsy
Hippie
Tiered
Prairie
Bohemian
Western 

I think that's all but I'll modify this if I remember any more.  I know b/c I just recently looked up skirts to buy for myself and I noticed these terms so then that helped search further.  Got a beautiful skirt coming from Thailand for me.  Can't wait! 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 04:32:12 PM by Nickole »