Author Topic: Skirt Pattern Anyone?  (Read 88981 times)

Offline LilyEilis

• Adept
Re: Skirt Pattern Anyone?
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2006, 04:49:18 PM »
I am 5ft 6 and the skirt is just above my ankle, well below the calf. If I were your height, I'd  be tempted to find a fabric of about 6 inches or so that I could add to the bottom. Because it is just one straight seam, it is easy enough that even if you don't sew, you are bound to know someone that will take 15 minutes with a machine to add  to the length. It would be a casual look for the skirt, but you would have it to go by to make yourself another.

Thanks for the quick reply...and for the info!  Yes, I probably could just easily add a strip to the bottom and it sounds like it's an easy skirt to reproduce once you have the orginal to go by... 
"...Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls." ~1 Peter 1:7f-9

KD

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2006, 04:07:11 AM »
The wrap skirt everyone is talking about sounds great! I love to sew and would like to make one for myself! Would anyone be willing to give me the length and width of the skirt and also of the waist band. Is the hem just straight or is it rounded? Is it cut on the straight of the grain or more bias? Is there anything else I should know about the way it's made? Thank-you!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 03:14:20 PM by KD »

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2006, 04:57:39 PM »
My wrap is 36" long. It has a 1 1/2 inch (finished) wide waist band. You can look at the pictures on the link to see how it ties. You just make a buttonhole for the sash. The waist is rounded (like a "c") as is the hem (when the garment is folded and lying flat). This is why you will need to get a very wide fabric (to accomodate the rounding). When I doubled the skirt and placed it flat, the grain of the fabric was on the diagonal of the fold, meaning it formed an x across the fold. I had to piece together 4 yards with careful cutting to make my duplicate because I had gotten a narrow cotton. You will probably need five yards.

I don't like to spend money needlessly. However, I will tell you that this is one skirt that was a very good investment. Because of the cut, the skirt flares and swishes nicely. This is hard to duplicate without one to look at. Having the original gives you a good idea of the right weight fabric to use. Additionally, I like that the proceeds go for a good cause. There just aren't many places that sell modest, not frumpy, clothes.

I know that I will purchase from them again. My one purchase has already paid off. Just my $.02
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2006, 05:27:26 PM »
Just an FYI, I emailed this company to see if they had the khaki color and she said they were out and were waiting on another shipment. So within the next couple of weeks there should be a new load avaiable to buy.

THat should give us some time to budget for one :0)
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

KD

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2006, 03:42:39 AM »
SC, Thank-you for the info. Thats very helpful. Think I'll give it a try. Maybe when I get some money saved up I'll buy one too!  :-\

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2006, 04:22:07 PM »
just a word of caution for the wrap skirts from that web site.  I ordered one but I dont think that one size skirts are made for everyone.  It was too long and I tried to wear it but kept tripping on the front hem.  So, if you arent tall and dont wear heeled shoes, I would caution you from those skirts.  I was bummed cause they are really pretty.

An idea for a full long skirt:  turn your old jeans you dont wear anymore into skirts.  When I started dressing 'better' and didnt wear jeans anymore, I was shown how to do this.  It is really easy and you just pick a pretty fabric to fill the gap in front and back.  Rip out the seems on the inside of the legs. Im a beginner at sewing, but I figured it out, not too hard to do.

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2006, 04:29:11 PM »
just a word of caution for the wrap skirts from that web site.  I ordered one but I dont think that one size skirts are made for everyone.  It was too long and I tried to wear it but kept tripping on the front hem.  So, if you arent tall and dont wear heeled shoes, I would caution you from those skirts.  I was bummed cause they are really pretty.

An idea for a full long skirt:  turn your old jeans you dont wear anymore into skirts.  When I started dressing 'better' and didnt wear jeans anymore, I was shown how to do this.  It is really easy and you just pick a pretty fabric to fill the gap in front and back.  Rip out the seems on the inside of the legs. Im a beginner at sewing, but I figured it out, not too hard to do.

I don't wear heels. I would say not to give up on your skirt too soon. Just decide how much shorter you'd like it to be 3 or 4 inches or more.

Take a ruler and measure from the bottom and mark your fold line on the inside of the skirt. Fold the finished edge to the fold line, and then fold on the fold line. This will hide the finished edge in the fold. You can then stitch the new hemline in place by hand or with a sewing machine. Just work close to the edge of the fabric farthest from the new hem line. This is a one seam fix for a skirt that will be one of your favorites. Let us know how it turns out.

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2006, 05:28:36 PM »

I don't wear heels. I would say not to give up on your skirt too soon. Just decide how much shorter you'd like it to be 3 or 4 inches or more.

sadly, i returned it allready.  wish i had some concept of sewing then.  I only recently got a machine from the thrift store and am learning how to use it.  I was very sewing ignorant, so lots to learn.  that is a good idea though, and like I said, their skirts are really pretty.

KD

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2006, 10:07:16 AM »
I'm so excited about the skirt I just made, hopefully many more to come! I am so pleased with it, and it is a wrap skirt, modestly ankle-length and I love it! I'm kind of embarrassed to let you all know I found the pattern in my mothers collection of patterns! It was one her mom was going to sew and make for herself and never did, Mom wanted to and didn't either, so I was the first! But it really is too too simple to make and it looks very similar to the one Kayinpa mentioned except it ties to the side --- so cool!!!

Can you tell me the pattern number and who it was made by?? Thanks!

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2006, 04:43:50 AM »
OK, I am not sure of a good pattern, but a bought a skirt from this website and loved it. Maybe you can get an idea just by looking at the pictures on the site.

http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?productid=37&groupid=26

If anyone is interested, this company has their skirts back in --they have been out for some time.
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2006, 06:18:21 AM »
I saw this web site once awhile ago, but I was concerned on whether or not the skirt would fit me...I've got the Winnie the Pooh going on (short and fat, proud of that)  :P  Actually, I am short, or for the politically correct crowd 'vertically challenged' coming in at 5'2" (or close enough to round up  ;D )...and I guess the word would be plump...I wear a 14 (up or down one size depending on the clothes/store).  I am hippy and have no rear..but my pooch in front makes up for the lack in back  ::)  So, you think the skirt would be okay for me?  I measured my hips this am and they come in at 43, my waist is 35...give me your thoughts.

On another note...any of you have older daughters?  We have been searching in vain for skirts for my daughter that are stylish but not 'old maidish' as she says.  Most of the 'modest clothing' we have found (including the wrap skirt) she doesn't much care for.  She said she would wear whatever I bought her (we are just learning how to sew..so skirts and stuff will be down the road a bit for us), but she would prefer to not dress like her mother (yet)  ;)

So...any of you have ideas?  Skirts we have found that are long, flowing and just her style have a split up to the  :-X  All the rest seem to be made for an occupation we are definitely not training her for  :o

Thanks - Camille
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2006, 06:27:22 AM »
So...any of you have ideas?  Skirts we have found that are long, flowing and just her style have a split up to the  :-X  All the rest seem to be made for an occupation we are definitely not training her for  :o

Thanks - Camille
Get the split skirts and add a panel.  The style of this skirt generally requires a slit for ample leg(walking) room, so if you cut a large triangle of another piece of material and stitched it on either side of the slit, you'd have a split skirt with ample covering in the rear.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2006, 06:36:44 AM »
Funny Camille...you and I have the same measurements (height and all!) but I'm not fat...I'm VOLUPTUOUS  :D

Oh wait...I missed the part about you having no rear. You can have half of mine and I'd still have plenty!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 06:40:25 AM by KatieMac »

Offline rebekahgrif

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2006, 06:57:10 AM »
I
On another note...any of you have older daughters?  We have been searching in vain for skirts for my daughter that are stylish but not 'old maidish' as she says.  Most of the 'modest clothing' we have found (including the wrap skirt) she doesn't much care for.  She said she would wear whatever I bought her (we are just learning how to sew..so skirts and stuff will be down the road a bit for us), but she would prefer to not dress like her mother (yet)  ;)

Thanks - Camille

You should see the girls at my church.  They ALL wear dresses mostly down to thier ankles.  A line skirts are genearlly flattering, and allow freedom of movement.  Also when looking for patterns be creative.  I know quite a few ladies who literally look in the costume section for clohing patterns...the old fashoined costumes for prarie/ country LOL.  Also the tieres skirt is nice and long and fowing, and I know was just in fashin not too long ago.  A lot of times, what blouse you put with a skirt makes it look old or young. Fabric also plays a roll.  Also a lot of the teenagers inmy church, if they find a dress./sirt with a slit, they just sew the slit up.   :D
    unfortunately, (because if you are just starting to dress modestly this can be a discouragement) in the worlds eyes if you are dressed modestly you ARE dressed old.  You might want to encourage her (if you feel that might be a discouragement for her) that there ARE guys out there that find a modeslty dressed lady attractive and not old maid at all. ;D   Another thought (and this may be nothing at all, but it just occure to me)  if this is a fairly new conviction for you, than it might not be HER conviction as of yet.  If that is the case I would pray for her and enourage her to search the Scriptures regarding how we should dress.  Hope any of that helped =-) 

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2006, 07:21:04 AM »
Hey Rebekah...

You hit several nails right on the head!  This is a relatively new conviction for me.  Not necessarily that I think wearing pants is wrong, per se, but for me it is.  Does that make sense?  At any rate, just yesterday my daughter said, 'You know, Mom, I think you're right about jeans for girls.  It just isn't right.'  She truly has been such a blessing and proof of God's grace!  We didn't know Jesus personally until she was about 12 years old.  A lot of things she knew as a way of life changed.  God's grace came in when she gave us no grief about it!  She has such a way about her and wants nothing more than to fulfill the purpose God has for her!  She told someone just recently, had you asked me 3 years ago about my future, it would have included everything about me.  Now, I am preparing myself for my future husband and learning to submit (joyfully and immediately) to my parents, so I can with him.

Anyway...I digress..about the skirts.  She still wants to look 'cool', but modest.  I guess we could get an inexpensive skirt (or two) from Goodwill and practice sewing panels where the slits are.  By the time I get done training my girls in everything I know nothing about...I'm truly going to have some character  :D

Thanks again - C.
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2006, 07:55:41 AM »
Okay, here's a quick skirt for anyone with a teenage girl that wants a nice look. Okay, it could work for Mom, too. Get a pair of old jeans that fit you nicely in the hip and waist. Cut the legs off like you are going to make a pair of shorts. Tear the seam out of the crotch that separates the legs and then even out the bottom edge (no, we are NOT making a miniskirt). You can leave the pockets in or sew them closed. Measure around the bottom edge and multiply this by two or three. Purchase that much fabric at your fabric store. I recommend a cotton rather than a blend. If you can, find a print that matches the tone of the jean material. Gather one edge of the material and hem it to the jean material, leaving the seam at the back (or side, if you prefer.) Sew the seam and hem your new skirt to the desired length. Done.

Offline Kansas Girl

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2006, 07:58:45 AM »
Okay, here's a quick skirt for anyone with a teenage girl that wants a nice look. Okay, it could work for Mom, too. Get a pair of old jeans that fit you nicely in the hip and waist. Cut the legs off like you are going to make a pair of shorts. Tear the seam out of the crotch that separates the legs and then even out the bottom edge (no, we are NOT making a miniskirt). You can leave the pockets in or sew them closed. Measure around the bottom edge and multiply this by two or three. Purchase that much fabric at your fabric store. I recommend a cotton rather than a blend. If you can, find a print that matches the tone of the jean material. Gather one edge of the material and hem it to the jean material, leaving the seam at the back (or side, if you prefer.) Sew the seam and hem your new skirt to the desired length. Done.

This is a really cute skirt idea.  I have seen them and teens like them a lot!!!  Great idea SC!!! -KG
having a baby" border="0

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2006, 08:03:46 AM »
Have you taken your daughter to look in pattern books?  Lots of skirts are really easy to make, especially if they have elastic waists.  Most skirts are just straight stitches.  Remember you can always modify the pattern too.  My younger sister (15 yrs) likes to get cheap jeans and turn them into skirts by adding fabric or more denim.  They look really cute.  Just some ideas.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2006, 08:11:07 AM »
You should see the girls at my church. They ALL wear dresses mostly down to thier ankles. ... Also a lot of the teenagers inmy church, if they find a dress./sirt with a slit, they just sew the slit up. ...

That would be a load off my mind.  I would much prefer the men folk in my family to not look at half dressed gals in church.  (Or anywhere else.)  Our church, most times, looks like a fashion show with the theme "How Tight and Short Can I Get My CLothes".  And that's not just the teenage girls!  (Many of the churches here are like that.)  

I am a long dress/skirt wearer and so is my 6yo daughter.  I have a hard time finding skirts long enough, so I found a very simple pattern for her.  And I can make them even longer if I want to, when I make them myself.  I just pick material that goes with a certain blouse and put different trims to make them look like they go together.  Different material, different trim, but same pattern. Anyone have any suggestions that would help me?  Any creative tips would be greatly appreciated.  Sometimes I get in a rut and then can't think of anything else.  Thanks.

Missi  

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2006, 09:29:06 AM »
Have you taken your daughter to look in pattern books?  Lots of skirts are really easy to make, especially if they have elastic waists.  Most skirts are just straight stitches.  Remember you can always modify the pattern too.  My younger sister (15 yrs) likes to get cheap jeans and turn them into skirts by adding fabric or more denim.  They look really cute.  Just some ideas.

We are just learning to sew though  :-\  I did make my youngest daughter a couple dresses this summer...but, well, they worked I guess...I just didn't do something right that's for sure!  We'll get there!  Thanks for the ideas!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2006, 10:27:01 AM »
OK, I am not sure of a good pattern, but a bought a skirt from this website and loved it. Maybe you can get an idea just by looking at the pictures on the site.

http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?productid=37&groupid=26

If anyone is interested, this company has their skirts back in --they have been out for some time.
Oh, I emailed these folks. I am 5' 0" and they said their wrap around would be too long for me.  They only had one they said that would work for me but I can't remember which one. 

Offline Carey

• Learning
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2006, 04:05:18 AM »
Do any of you have a pattern for a roomy-ankle-length skirt? Id like to know any way I can about this through either sites you could recommend or your own used patterns that I could purchase, or old skirts you are done with even!  :D 

I am new to sewing and new to wearing skirts, as well as a SAHM which = a bit financially challenged. I have struggled with some of the "easy" patterns and haven't quite got the hang of it yet. BUT, I did manage to make 2 skirts for myself last night ;D.!!!! Yesterday I went to a thrift store that was having a 1$ a dress sale and bought 3 denim jumpers. My husband doesn't like for me to wear jumpers but prefers flowy skirts. So I cut the tops (just under the bottom of the arm holes) off and sewed in elastic. I got 2 done in an hour and they are nice flowy denim skirts!!

Love,
  Carey

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2006, 05:50:53 AM »
I am new to sewing and new to wearing skirts, as well as a SAHM which = a bit financially challenged. I have struggled with some of the "easy" patterns and haven't quite got the hang of it yet. BUT, I did manage to make 2 skirts for myself last night ;D.!!!! Yesterday I went to a thrift store that was having a 1$ a dress sale and bought 3 denim jumpers. My husband doesn't like for me to wear jumpers but prefers flowy skirts. So I cut the tops (just under the bottom of the arm holes) off and sewed in elastic. I got 2 done in an hour and they are nice flowy denim skirts!!

Love,
  Carey
Good for you Carey!  I made a dress for my daughter from one of my old dresses.  I used the skirt part for her skirt part, so it was very flowing on her.  And I didn't even have to hem it.  I used the top part to cut out the top, and even reused the ties for her dress.  So all I bought was a zipper, thread, and a little bit of lining for the top.  Talk about a cheap little dress.

Missi

Offline hjm

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2007, 07:55:01 PM »
The wrap skirt at Tznius.com is a simple 1/2 circle skirt made from 3 1/4 yards of 60" fabric.  It is quite easy to make.  I made one for my daughter using her measurements so the length was right.  It cost about six dollars for the material.  I would be happy to post instructions if anyone was interested.
hjm

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2007, 08:14:20 PM »
The wrap skirt at Tznius.com is a simple 1/2 circle skirt made from 3 1/4 yards of 60" fabric.  It is quite easy to make.  I made one for my daughter using her measurements so the length was right.  It cost about six dollars for the material.  I would be happy to post instructions if anyone was interested.
hjm

I'm interested. Thanks. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2007, 08:26:16 PM »
hjm

Please do!  Please do!!! ;D  I would love to try making one. 
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2007, 04:51:21 AM »
hjm
I'm interested.  1/2 circle???  It's all one piece?  No seams in the skirt at all?  I was going to try this, but just hadn't gotten enough motivation to attempt it yet.  With the instructions, I'll have less excuses not to get started.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline jammy

• Adept
Yes!
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2007, 06:00:30 AM »
Please share the instructions, I would be VERY grateful!  I love that skirt but can't quite spend that much, eventhough it is well worth it.  Thanks!!!

Jenn
Jenn :D

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2007, 08:31:38 AM »
Sounds to me like some of you crafty women should be turning sewing into a little side business!  I can sew but I'm never able to make things for myself that I like.  I would certainly pay someone to make me a couple nice skirts if they could be made for less than that web site.  I doubt I'm the only one.  Any takers???

Offline hjm

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2007, 09:47:31 AM »
If you google half circle skirt, you will get several instructions for making them.  These are not wrap skirts but they give you the basic idea.  I am working on it but I probably will not have it finished till this afternoon. Kids  :)
hjm