† † † † † † †

Author Topic: Skirt Pattern Anyone?  (Read 87659 times)

Offline annie_9

• Learning
Skirt Pattern Anyone?
« on: July 12, 2006, 01:30:27 PM »
Do any of you have a pattern for a roomy-ankle-length skirt? Id like to know any way I can about this through either sites you could recommend or your own used patterns that I could purchase, or old skirts you are done with even!  :D 
"[W]isdom is proved right by her actions." Mtt.11:19

"If we define our happiness by some point in the future, it will never arrive."¬  -Joshua Harris

"Wherever you are, be all there." -Jim Elliot

http://rejuvilation.blogspot.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Skirt Pattern Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 02:43:30 PM »
Do any of you have a pattern for a roomy-ankle-length skirt? Id like to know any way I can about this through either sites you could recommend or your own used patterns that I could purchase, or old skirts you are done with even!  :D 

I've actually had good luck buying any size bigger than me in the plainer straight skirts (thinner materials -- not denim) at garage sales and just taking them in.  I have a hard time finding my size for some reason, maybe everyone is my size and they beat me to the sale.   ::)  I've also bought larger dresses when I was pregnant (plus sizes not maternity) and taken in the armholes to fit me better and the skirts are very flowing and comfortable that way even after the baby is gone.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 03:50:34 PM »

OK, I am not sure of a good pattern, but a bought a skirt from this website and loved it. Maybe you can get an idea just by looking at the pictures on the site.

http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?productid=37&groupid=26
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 03:53:33 PM »
Click here for an online manual on how to make your own skirt from a pattern you make. Check out chapters 2 (Slopers) and chapter 8 on skirts.

This is a great study for girls on the practical use of mathematics. AND the finished product will fit your body type because it is based on your measurements.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 05:55:42 PM »
i bought a skirt from this website and loved it. Maybe you can get an idea just by looking at the pictures on the site.

It's so cute.  I might have to try to make something like this if hubby ever gets my sewing table fixed.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 06:34:33 PM »

OK, I am not sure of a good pattern, but a bought a skirt from this website and loved it. Maybe you can get an idea just by looking at the pictures on the site.

Neat website, I must say I'm tempted. I love the scarves on their homepage. I don't wear a head covering, but those are really beautiful. All the long skirts are beautiful too, and the prices seem good considering how much cloth it requires to make a skirt that long and full.

Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline jessyru

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 07:05:07 PM »
Do any of you have a pattern for a roomy-ankle-length skirt? Id like to know any way I can about this through either sites you could recommend or your own used patterns that I could purchase, or old skirts you are done with even! 

annie_9~I have always wanted to make this skirt. It is Butterick pattern 4025. I like it because it's one of the only patterns I've found that has the length. I own the pattern and it say 'easy' on the back. It takes a good amount of fabric. Here is a link to the picture. If you look on a different site maybe you can find what kinds of materials and how much fabric you need? http://store.sewingtoday.com/cat/10000/itm_img/B4025.jpg

It's availabe on ebay right now. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250001507813&category=11801

I hope those links work out for you!

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
~1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline a_new_creation

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 02:51:13 AM »

Wow!  I had seen this website before but never really paid attention to the skirt (or the scarves -- I do cover).  Just ordered one and 3 "head accessories".  Many of their scarf colors are sold out, so I'd like to go back and check for more later!

Carla
Carla
Wife to Doug ('00), Mama to Noah ('02), Claire ('04), and Chloe ('06)

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 03:53:05 AM »
I have been really happy with Simplicity #9825 for winter weight fabrics.  I've made several of these skirts and just love how easily they sew up and how nice they look.  They are especially nice made with wool.  I usually add just a couple of inches of length to mine.

There are lots of great patterns for long flowy tiered summer skirts - just browe at Wal-mart of your fabric store.  Watch for $.99 or $1.99 pattern sales.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 04:59:10 AM by heatheronthehill »

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 08:44:54 AM »
The two skirt pattern that I use are:
Simplicity 4548 - no zipper needed and the shorts fit great under my skirts for active playing with the children

McCalls M5023 - it has a zipper, it's very comfortable and works well for going out on the 4-wheeler (view C).

Sharon
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline annie_9

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 07:02:59 AM »
Thanks for all the help. I'll be thrilled if I can find the patterns you've all mentioned.

"If we define our happiness by some point in the future, it will never arrive."¬  -Joshua Harris

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 01:54:12 AM »
I'm not sure if this will fit here or under another topic, but here goes:

For those of you who aren't sure how to make your own clothes from scratch but would like a more tailored look, I have an easy fix. Put the garment that you want to adjust on inside out. Then use pins to take in the seams or create darts. Stand, sit and walk to check for ease of movement. Remove the garment and sew the seams where you pinned. Remove the pins, try the garment on and check again for ease of movement. If you are pleased with the result, you can trim the seams and clip the corners and curves so that there isn't any bulky fabric on the reverse of the garment.

If you have a skirt with a button or clasp closure, sometimes all you need to do is move the button or clasp to get a better fit. You can also add elastic across the back or sides of a garment on the inside of the waistband.

Instead of throwing away a skirt that might be too short, put old fabric to use and create a ruffle: measure around the hem and increase that length by adding another half of the length or more. Take a length of string and sew to one side of the fabric using loose stitches. For this step, I just set my machine on a very wide zigzag over the string, making sure not to catch the string in the needle. Then, pull the string until the fabric is gathered to the original measurement of the skirt's hem. Attach with a seam to the bottom of the skirt at the gathered edge. Sew a seam where the fabric meets. Hem the bottom.

I used a variation of this method to recycle an old bed dust ruffle and created a nice eyelet lace petticoat to wear under split skirts.

Offline LilyEilis

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 04:49:21 AM »

I've seen the skirts at this web-site before and loved them and wanted to try one...the wrap skirts especially look nice...but do they REALLY not open and show leg even when you when you do "active" things?  I love wrap skirts, especially after spending time in Thailand, but the ones I have are hard to do anything strenuous in without having them fly open...did you have that problem with these wrap skirts?
"...Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith‚ÄĒthe salvation of your souls." ~1 Peter 1:7f-9

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 06:21:49 AM »
Cool ideas SC!

I was wondering the same about the wrap skirts, they look really nice though.
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 08:56:35 PM »
GuesswhatIfound?

I was at Walmart the other day (I didn't see you there, BTW ???). Anyway, I was in the crafts department looking at material, and I stumbled across the most wonderful thing . . . You know those peasant skirts that have a ruffled appearance and are popular again? Well, the local store here is selling fabric with the elastic waist and hem already done. All you have to do is purchase enough to fit your waist and allow for a seam (2 to 3 inches or so). Take it home and sew the seam. A five minute job! Here, they are charging $12 or so per yard. The colors I saw were a white eyelet with satin bows (for an underslip, I think), two different styles of black, a blue denim, and a couple of blue cotton prints.

WHERE were these things YEARS ago! 8)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 08:04:49 AM »
What is a peasant skirt?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 08:24:38 AM »
What is a peasant skirt?

Well, I'm not sure of the technical definition. I use it to refer to those long skirts with fabric ruffles. Some have a ruffle that starts at the hip and end at the knee finished by another ruffle that starts where the second ends.

Something like this:

Offline a_new_creation

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 12:11:56 PM »
I've seen the skirts at this web-site before and loved them and wanted to try one...the wrap skirts especially look nice...but do they REALLY not open and show leg even when you when you do "active" things?  I love wrap skirts, especially after spending time in Thailand, but the ones I have are hard to do anything strenuous in without having them fly open...did you have that problem with these wrap skirts?

I just got mine this week.  I am 20 weeks pg so I am bigger than normal, but so far, no problems whatsoever.  I would be very surprised if it flew open as it wraps around me 1 1/2 times right now.  After I deliver, I think it will go around me almost 2 times so there is NO WAY that baby is flying open!  The smaller you are, the less chance you'll have a problem.  BTW, I am going to try and figure out a pattern for this skirt.  It is basically 2 pieces of fabric; 1 for the skirt and 1 for the belt.  No seams in the skirt whatsoever.  It will take a LONG piece of fabric!
Carla

Offline LilyEilis

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 05:30:59 PM »
I would be very surprised if it flew open as it wraps around me 1 1/2 times right now.  After I deliver, I think it will go around me almost 2 times so there is NO WAY that baby is flying open!  The smaller you are, the less chance you'll have a problem.  BTW, I am going to try and figure out a pattern for this skirt.  It is basically 2 pieces of fabric; 1 for the skirt and 1 for the belt.  No seams in the skirt whatsoever.  It will take a LONG piece of fabric!

Thanks for the info!  So if it wraps around you 1 1/2 to 2 times, can you still move in it very well?  I've had wrap skirts that when they wrapped around a bit, the fabric would kind of "catch" on itself (if that makes any sense!) and thus you couldn't really move around very well in them.  Is that a problem with these skirts?
"...Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith‚ÄĒthe salvation of your souls." ~1 Peter 1:7f-9

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2006, 07:21:01 AM »
I found a free wrap skirt downloadable pattern. It is at

fitzpatterns.com

at least it gives an idea of what a pattern looks like  ???

--Sorry I tried to click on this and change it up a little and a "Page NOt Found" screen comes up.

I will leave it and then perhaps HB can fix it ???  ;D

If you go to www.fitzpatterns.com  you can look to the left of the page and click on "free" then click on the first picture of the girl in a wrap skirt then scroll down and click on small, medium or large and there will  be a pdf downloadable file which will begin. I do wish I were more computer literate sometimes. I hope this helps a little  ???
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 08:49:40 AM by healthybratt »
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2006, 08:50:26 AM »
I will leave it and then perhaps HB can fix it ???  ;D

Done.  ;)

fitzpatterns.com
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline a_new_creation

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2006, 12:23:23 PM »
Thanks for the info!  So if it wraps around you 1 1/2 to 2 times, can you still move in it very well?  I've had wrap skirts that when they wrapped around a bit, the fabric would kind of "catch" on itself (if that makes any sense!) and thus you couldn't really move around very well in them.  Is that a problem with these skirts?

No, it is so loose and flowy that it's not a problem.  The fabric does stick to itself in a way but it does not hinder movement at all, not anymore than a "normal" skirt would. 
Carla

Offline LilyEilis

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2006, 12:25:50 PM »

No, it is so loose and flowy that it's not a problem.  The fabric does stick to itself in a way but it does not hinder movement at all, not anymore than a "normal" skirt would. 

Okay...thanks for the info!

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2006, 05:21:14 AM »
The wrap skirts, are they cool to wear or are they a bit warm? I live where it is very, very hot most of the year so cool clothing is important.
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

Offline a_new_creation

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2006, 06:58:11 AM »
The wrap skirts, are they cool to wear or are they a bit warm? I live where it is very, very hot most of the year so cool clothing is important.

I got the stone denim one.  It is not a very thick denim and the skirt is loose and flowy so you get good air circulation where it counts. ;)
Carla

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2006, 07:47:50 AM »

I followed the link and fell in love with the skirt.  I showed my hubby, who immediately said "get a hundred!!"  which means, "go ahead and get one, if you'd like!"  So, I did... 

I was wearing it all day yesterday, and in the evening I asked my man what he was thinking and he smiled and said, "I was thinking that if there was a WellTell Me sight for guys, I would tell all of them to get their wives one of these skirts!"   :D :D :D

So...I love the skirt and am planning on using it to make a pattern in order to make some more that are similar to it!!!

Happy twirling! ;D
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline annie_9

• Learning
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2006, 10:55:48 AM »
I'm so excited about the skirt I just made, hopefully many more to come! I am so pleased with it, and it is a wrap skirt, modestly ankle-length and I love it! I'm kind of embarrassed to let you all know I found the pattern in my mothers collection of patterns! It was one her mom was going to sew and make for herself and never did, Mom wanted to and didn't either, so I was the first! But it really is too too simple to make and it looks very similar to the one Kayinpa mentioned except it ties to the side --- so cool!!!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2006, 02:48:30 PM »

Neat website, I must say I'm tempted. I love the scarves on their homepage. I don't wear a head covering, but those are really beautiful. All the long skirts are beautiful too, and the prices seem good considering how much cloth it requires to make a skirt that long and full.

I received the wrap around skirt in denim from this site about a week ago. I don't think I'll ever like wearing another skirt! No matter what your size, it has a tailored -- not tight -- look. It is flowing and feminine without being frumpy. It doesn't cling to your legs or fly open AT ALL. It can be dressed up for Sunday or worn casual with just a t-shirt. The design ties in back so that you don't have a knot right over your belly. AND it's modest without an underslip!

I liked it so well that I purchased 4 yards of material and used the Tznius as a guide. I made sure to match the grain lines. Also, I divided the skirt into 3rds because my material wasn't as wide as the one used for the skirt. There were no buttons to sew and one long hem. If I hadn't had to make panels, it would have just been one solid piece of fabric like the one I purchased. The design is so simple and yet so flattering, this won't be the last one I make.

Also, I love the site because I was able to learn how to tie scarves (FINALLY) and headdresses that would hold my long hair. I used a scarf I had that was meant to be a beach over up -- about 4 yards long, and it was WONDERFUL. Someone stopped me in the grocery store to ask how I did it. If any of you are involved in Bible dramas, you NEED to visit the site and see what I mean.

The skirt I made cost me $16 for materials (I didn't purchase on sale). No buttons, no zippers, perfect fit. For the initial investment, I feel like I got a bargain. I've bookmarked the site to watch for sales. If the skirt is any indication, they use quality materials and their garments are well made at a reasonable price.

A NOTE TO MEN: This is one garment that you can buy for your wife without having to know her size.  ;) 8)

Offline LilyEilis

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2006, 04:28:51 PM »

I received the wrap around skirt in denim from this site about a week ago. I don't think I'll ever like wearing another skirt! No matter what your size, it has a tailored -- not tight -- look. It is flowing and feminine without being frumpy. It doesn't cling to your legs or fly open AT ALL. It can be dressed up for Sunday or worn casual with just a t-shirt. The design ties in back so that you don't have a knot right over your belly. AND it's modest without an underslip!

I've pretty much only heard praises of this skirt and now, and your post, I'm tempted to buy one even more than I was before!  Just curious though...how tall are you and how long was the skirt on you?  I'm almost six feet tall and thus usually have to make my skirts if I want them ankle-length...and I was reading the reviews of the skirt on the website and one woman mentioned it being ankle-length on her and she was 5'4" or something like that...yet it says they are 38 inches long.  Hmmm...anyway, just curious!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2006, 04:42:56 PM »
I am 5ft 6 and the skirt is just above my ankle, well below the calf. If I were your height, I'd  be tempted to find a fabric of about 6 inches or so that I could add to the bottom. Because it is just one straight seam, it is easy enough that even if you don't sew, you are bound to know someone that will take 15 minutes with a machine to add  to the length. It would be a casual look for the skirt, but you would have it to go by to make yourself another.