Author Topic: Daughter throwing up phlegm  (Read 4158 times)

Offline bakermom

• Adept
Daughter throwing up phlegm
« on: October 04, 2007, 01:30:54 AM »
My 9yo has frequent nausea during the day.  Sometimes like this morning she actually throw up but there is only white bubbly stuff that comes up.  I think her food must have all digested .  It does not even look like phlem but maybe it is.  Any thoughts?  I am concerned.  This is not every morning and has not happened in two weeks until today. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 04:59:01 AM by healthybratt »

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
Re: Daughter throwing up phlegm
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 04:30:39 AM »
My first thought might be a low blood sugar problem, causing her throw up in the first place. Does this happen in the morning, between breakfast and lunch, or is it an all day thing?

You might try letting her eat small, frequent high-protein meals. This might include a hard-boiled egg, a handful of mixed nuts, a protein shake, or some peanut butter toast. I know protein really helps my dh keep his blood sugar evened out, and it keeps the yuckies away.

Also, plenty of water, too. Good hydration is always important.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 04:59:14 AM by healthybratt »
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 05:00:59 AM »
Is it possible she's suffering from allergies or a cold of some kind?  If too much mucous is produced and she doesn't expel it though the nose or by coughing, it is often swallowed as an automatic response.  This can upset the stomach.  Maybe she's got some sort of food intolerance (my guess is dairy because of the excess mucous).
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline wyomama3

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 05:18:57 AM »
Its been a few years, but our dd did this too.  She was choking on her tonsils and would tend to do so more in the night or morning.  Her tonsils were rotten and when they went to do surgery realized that it was her adenoids draining infection that casued the tonsil/choking/vomiting problem.  It was worse in the fall due to the mold/mildew problem in the house that we lived in then.
This may not be your case at all, but I thought I would pass it on. 

Offline bakermom

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 08:40:25 AM »
It is only in the early hours of the morning like 5 or 6 oclock.  Sometimes more than once.  Never during the day.  She eats like a horse and is very slim.  She does get nausea frequently saying she feels like she is car sick.  The dr gave us zantac liquid and she hates it so I have not given it to her again because she seemed better.  At that visit, I did not say anything about the vomiting.

Offline rebekahgrif

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 12:11:13 PM »
Sounds like me as a kid.  I never threw up, but always felt like it.  I was allergic to mold, dust, certain pollens.  Sinus drainage was horrible.  You may ask if she feels like she is choking a lot.   listen to her.  Does she snort alot (clearing out her sinuses...or trying to rather)?  Does she snore at night?  Does she sigh a lot?  Have bad breath?  All those indicate sinus drainage problems, and allergies are a big culprit.  If that is the case, check out the threads here for childhood allergies and treat the allergies.  Teach her how to use  a neti pot to clear her sinuses.  A good ENT can tell you if her tonsils are bad (although rotten breath can be a sign of that too.)  Hope you can get this cleared up soon.