Author Topic: Snap-its /Pop-its - anyone know what's in these?  (Read 6039 times)

Offline Melie

• Master
Snap-its /Pop-its - anyone know what's in these?
« on: October 11, 2007, 08:18:34 AM »
You know those little fire crackers that you throw at the ground and they snap?  My kids had been playing with these and I just found a bunch of them in the play pen with the baby (6 mos).  I don't think he ate any of them but I have no way of knowing for absolutely sure.  They look like little tubes with something in them.  I don't have the box anymore so I have no idea what it is.

Offline Syrena

• Learning
Re: Snap-its /Pop-its - anyone know what's in these?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 01:01:30 PM »

I looked online and found that they are called 'Snappers' and are classified as a 'Class C Consumer Fireworks'. They are usually listed under Novelty Items or Noisemakers.

Here's some more info:

Snapper
A small, paper-wrapped ball less than 1/2" (12.7 mm) in diameter and containing not more than 1 mg (0.02 grains) of explosive composition, coated with small bits of sand, and packaged with sawdust. When dropped or thrown on a hard surface like a sidewalk, the device explodes, producing a small report.

I couldn't find a list of the explosive ingredients for Snappers, but the site did mention that some common fireworks have flash powder (A chemical composition of a fine metal powder and an oxidizer. Upon ignition it produces a bright flash and usually an audible report, even when not confined inside a paper or cardboard tube.)

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 01:28:06 PM »
Thank you for your research, Syrena.
I called poison control and they listed some things that didn't sound too good to me.  I think he said Nitrates and chloride but I didn't write it down so I can't be sure.  Nothing I would want my baby ingesting but he said that the worse that would happen is he might throw up and have a tummy ache.  I am thinking he did not manage to get any because he's perfectly happy and fine and I think by now he would be getting sick because he is only a baby.  Please pray that if he did swallow some that God would keep the bad stuff in the plastic and it would just pass right through him. 

Offline Syrena

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 04:56:44 PM »
I'm glad to hear that he's doing all right. I'll continue to pray for his health, just in case he did swallow one.